Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017 model) - Short Review

Here is an Italian review...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pm8hg08A__c

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Swedish review...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjMqFo5n2eE

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

RC:
    ... More advantages: R8 specialized dealerships and maintenance/repair shops basically every 20-30 km or so here in Bavaria, no problems with spare parts (usually takes 24-48h at max) and in a worse case scenario, even a Lamborghini dealership could help. ....

My Audi where I order our company cars does not sell or repair R8 anymore even though it is called "Audi Zentrum". 

Itsme:
    RC:
    ... More advantages: R8 specialized dealerships and maintenance/repair shops basically every 20-30 km or so here in Bavaria, no problems with spare parts (usually takes 24-48h at max) and in a worse case scenario, even a Lamborghini dealership could help. ....

My Audi where I order our company cars does not sell or repair R8 anymore even though it is called "Audi Zentrum". 

This is why I wrote "R8 specialized dealerships...". Regular Audi Zentrums are every 10 km or so in Bavaria. Smiley

--

Drag race versus AMG GT S and new C63 S AMG...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hML4k7xP4xQ

--

German comparison with new 991.2 Turbo S...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP80WlcOV3k

--

RC, the simple fact you can buy a quasi new R8 for 40k under means it will drop much further. Simple supply and demand... Even V8 Ferraris eventually drop despite the huge demand for them...

RC:

Swedish review...

Great to see that you post a Swedish review. You might have learnt some of the language after all the Swedish in several threads lately SmileySmiley. He really likes the car btw!

Lukas:
    RC:

Swedish review...

Great to see that you post a Swedish review. You might have learnt some of the language after all the Swedish in several threads lately SmileySmiley. He really likes the car btw!

Yes, it could be summarised as "den satt som en räkmacka" Smiley Smiley 

(Which as we previously learned is translated as +1 from the Viking language)

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

SciFrog:

RC, the simple fact you can buy a quasi new R8 for 40k under means it will drop much further. Simple supply and demand... Even V8 Ferraris eventually drop despite the huge demand for them...

At the first view it sounds logical.

But from my point of view  the TCO (total cost of ownership) are the leading path. If you take a defined timeframe for instance 36 months you simply add the costs for rent/lease/financing and if you want additional the costs for insurance, maintenance and consumption and whatsoever and of course the final amount for the exit (if necessary) you get the real picture. 

I've done the math and believe me the R8 V10 is one of the leading cars in its class where you get the most fun for little money😃

--

Kind regards, Conny 

Porsche 997.2 Turbo S  *  BMW Grand Coupe 650i xDrive

Conny997:
    SciFrog:

At the first view it sounds logical.

But from my point of view  the TCO (total cost of ownership) are the leading path. If you take a defined timeframe for instance 36 months you simply add the costs for rent/lease/financing and if you want additional the costs for insurance, maintenance and consumption and whatsoever and of course the final amount for the exit (if necessary) you get the real picture. 

I've done the math and believe me the R8 V10 is one of the leading cars in its class where you get the most fun for little money😃

Smiley I cannot believe that it's "brother" Lamborghini Huracan costs almost double to lease... Smiley 

--

SciFrog:

This is why I didn't buy the car. Smiley

The 48 months lease costs me around 88k EUR (incl. 19% VAT), a 60 months warranty for the car is included, so no repair cost worries over the whole lease period. If I want to buy the car afterwards, I already know the remaining value (on paper) and it is pretty attractive as well (I cannot put the number here in this post for confidentiality reasons because leases usually need to be returned to the dealer but the number is highly interesting and not bad at all...if I decide I want the car).

If I am lucky (my tax guy is working on that...), 30% of the cost will be tax deductible (not more because this is a sports car, usually it would be 50% if I don't want to keep a logbook about my destinations). 

My wife for example can deduct aprox. 90% because she keeps a logbook for her Macan Turbo.

The reason why German Audi dealers seem to "give away" the R8 V10 Plus with such rebates seems to be their business model (they do almost the same for the RS6 and other high priced models) and of course the fact that the R8 is a bit too flashy for Germany. It is no Ferrari or Lamborghini but the R8 cannot be compared with the 911 which is, kind of, socially "accepted" in Germany, even as a business car.

Porsche dealers seem to use a similar business model but it is less attractive: They keep the car at least three months as a test-car and they can do 10000 km in it, way too much in my opinion. Also, the discount is "only" 15% if you do that, with some less popular models up to 20%.

My Audi guy also told me that larger dealerships get only a high number of production slots for "popular" high demand models if they order from the factory the not so popular models as well, mostly very high priced models. So to get for example 20 production slots for a very popular high demand model, they need to order a R8 or a RS6 Performance as well. This is just an inaccurate example but you get the point.

For me, the R8 is a dream come true because I always wanted a Lamborghini and this is the closest thing I can get to one right now. This may sound ridiculous but it is a fact. Also, I don't need another 911 since I have the 991 GTS Cab, the R8 was a logical consequence since Porsche doesn't offer such a car. Unfortunately. 

Last but not least, you really need to listen to that V10 engine...absolutely amazing. Right now, no Porsche can deliver the same emotions in the sound department.

Btw: Insurance (full coverage) cost for this car is 1500 EUR per year (incl. 19% VAT). My 991 GTS Cab is only 890 EUR per year because I am in a different insurance class with this car. In Germany, we have an insurance system based on accident free years but only one single car can be insured with that one contract, all the others start at "Zero" when you insure a second or third or fourth car. One reason the R8 is in a slightly more expensive category but no problem. 

Also, the fact that my wife can drive both cars as well, makes the insurance aprox. 200 EUR more expensive per year. She won't drive the R8 often but she wants to (god beware... Smiley) and I couldn't really say no. Smiley

Also interesting: My insurance (one of the largest in Germany) insures the R8 V10 Plus on an individual basis only. No insurance for this car under the age of 30. I read in a German internet forum that a guy aged 45 (I am 50) pays 6000 EUR per year for his Audi R8 with V8 engine. Old model. This is insane but apparently he had two accidents in five years, so the premium went up...
    So far, knock on wood, I had my last (self induced) accident at age 19. Smiley

--

That engine does sound amazing. I know what you are thinking. Exactly. Enjoy and keep your record free and clear. Once my daughters started driving at age 14 (to work or school) it was expensive to keep our combined family driving record clean and keep owning a 911. Imagine everyone in the household with a licence is considered a driver for all cars. Had to hire lawyers a few times to reduce speeding tickets to non moving violations and even fought and beat a ticket myself over the years. Long story.  Totally clean record and only caused one accident ages ago when I was 15 in my 914. Simply took a corner way too quickly and bent to right rear suspension.  No other damage but I have been hit three times by drunk drivers.  Even had a car hit while safely parked in my garage with a closed door!  

Enjoy and get a GoPro 

Leawood911:

That engine does sound amazing. I know what you are thinking. Exactly. Enjoy and keep your record free and clear. Once my daughters started driving at age 14 (to work or school) it was expensive to keep our combined family driving record clean and keep owning a 911. Imagine everyone in the household with a licence is considered a driver for all cars. Had to hire lawyers a few times to reduce speeding tickets to non moving violations and even fought and beat a ticket myself over the years. Long story.  Totally clean record and only caused one accident ages ago when I was 15 in my 914. Simply took a corner way too quickly and bent to right rear suspension.  No other damage but I have been hit three times by drunk drivers.  Even had a car hit while safely parked in my garage with a closed door!  

Enjoy and get a GoPro 

I have two (3 & 4) but never put them to really good use. Smiley

I get the kids thing, I am actually looking forward to it...NOT. Smiley Luckily, my daughter wants to get her driver's license after she finishes Abitur (similar to SAT/ACT in the US), too much work now, so...pew...I'm relieved for the moment. Smiley My son still has a few years to go but I am more worried him riding his bike. Smiley

--

RC:
    noone1:

I don't have much faith in R8 residuals right now. RC just got one like $30K under sticker and the car has barely even been out.

Actually, more like 40+k EUR under sticker. Smiley

To be precise: 43k EUR under sticker...just found out that the dealer gave me the wrong new price tag, it is almost 216k EUR (more than what dealer told me and I never really checked on it Smiley).

Also interesting: Dealer got a second car today, same new price tag and same deal (3 months on dealership) but different color and they are asking 14(!)k EUR more for it than for mine. Smiley I asked the sales guy why they are asking more for the new one and the answer was simple (and still a bit weird): Sales picked up! So I guess I should be happy but maybe it is the color as well, the new one is red (more flashy Smiley).

Or maybe because I wrote this review? SmileySmiley

--

Is the R8 V10 plus faster than the 991 turbo S/ 991.2 turbo S ina straight line and roung the ring? very curious to know the numbers Smiley seems the new R8 is a very dangerous weapon by the looks of things.

Italo:

Is the R8 V10 plus faster than the 991 turbo S/ 991.2 turbo S ina straight line and roung the ring? very curious to know the numbers Smiley seems the new R8 is a very dangerous weapon by the looks of things.

According to various reviews (by numbers), the R8 is basically as fast as the Lamborghini Huracan or the 991.2 Turbo S for that matter, depending on tire type, track, driver and magazine. It is my understanding that the 991.2 Turbo S is a bit easier to drive fast around the track (more neutral setup with ESP turned off), so amateur drivers should be a tiny bit faster in it.

Straight line or for normal road driving, the difference is basically nonexistent. In most reviews, the 991.2 Turbo S is faster from 0-100 kph by 0.1-0.2 seconds but the Audi beats the Turbo S by 0.2-0.3 seconds up to 200 kph. In real life, this means no difference.

Only up to 300 kph, the R8 is maybe 1-2 seconds faster. Thats it.

So the R8 is basically a very emotional Turbo S with flashier looks and a modern interior. Smiley

Only disadvantage of the R8: Fuel consumption is higher than on the Turbo S, usually aprox. 2 liters/100 km in every speed/rev range. Even when driven in comfort mode with the cylinder deactivation (Audi), the R8 always eats more fuel than the Turbo S.

--

Great new review of R8 v10 just posted by Motor Trend. RC you will love this one! kiss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTTbVygKrP4

Lukas:

Great new review of R8 v10 just posted by Motor Trend. RC you will love this onekiss

Me too!! SmileySmiley
    In this vid the virtual cockpit seems to have the new 2017 layout so far as I can see. Nice.Bildschirmfoto 2016-06-20 um 19.20.13.png

--

Kind regards, Conny 

This is the same layout as in my Q7 smiley

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

Really?
    No problem, hope the Q7 can live with that Smiley
    In the R8 (2016) you can't get this layout in particular, so far as I know, but a lot of other views are available. The 2017 layout is more classical but I like it.

--

Kind regards, Conny 

1466453614740image.jpegExactly the same one. Up to the temperature and fuel gauge on the side. Q7 is the father of the R8 indecision

--

Lukas:

Great new review of R8 v10 just posted by Motor Trend. RC you will love this one! kiss

Really bad lap time. though I have no idea what the standard tires on. Definitely needs more aggressive tires on a track if you want to compete with everyone else. The Huracan for example was on Trofeo Rs.

4000rpm redline 

--

2015 911 GT3, 1964 Type 1

Conny997:

Really?
    No problem, hope the Q7 can live with that Smiley
    In the R8 (2016) you can't get this layout in particular, so far as I know, but a lot of other views are available. The 2017 layout is more classical but I like it.

--

Kind regards, Conny 

Software is upgradeable as far as I've been told, only the Smartphone Interface (Android Carplay and Android Auto) seems to be a (retrofit) issue, even for 2017 models but my dealer is working on that (chances are slim though...I think).

--

Lukas:

I wasn't able to watch it with the volume up (I'm working right now...), so I only saw the test result in Willow Springs, which is kind of impossible in my opinion. Unless the Huracan was on semi-slicks and the R8 on road tires. In all reviews I've seen/read so far, the Huracan had basically the same track performance, maybe a second or so difference on tight tracks (Huracan weights a good bit less than the Audi) considering both cars had semi-slicks (Michelin Cup 2).

Also, track comparisons are worthless if they don't use the same driver (not sure if they did in the Motor Trend review).

I will watch this video again with the volume up later on, maybe I get more clues... Smiley

--

DaveGordon:

4000rpm redline 

Hardly noticeable difference with the R8, the display counts more . It's the same , so it basically the same car  Smiley

--

Gnil:
    DaveGordon:

4000rpm redline 

Hardly noticeable difference with the R8, the display counts more . It's the same , so it basically the same car  Smiley

Smiley I wish however Audi would use a different display face for each car. A specific SUV display face, a specific sports car display face and a specific family sedan display face. They look all the same, I doubt that Audi does the right thing here. It would be so easy to adapt the display style/face to every specific car and I kind of have the feeling that it will happen at some point. 

I just hope Porsche doesn't make the same mistake after they introduce a similar display in the Panamera. I do not want to see the Panamera display style in a 911. Smiley

--

i definitely prefer the analogue gauges in the RS, by far. i found the dashboard in the huracan rather lifeless. but it is the future, no doubt.

p

pmarkow:

i definitely prefer the analogue gauges in the RS, by far. i found the dashboard in the huracan rather lifeless. but it is the future, no doubt.

p

Peter, you can imitate analogue gauges without you even noticing it, so no point to stick with analogue gauges. You should see the rev counter on the R8, it looks and moves so real. The improved GPU/CPU power makes it possible and I'm sure this is just the beginning. In a couple of years, we are going to have photo realistic gauges in cars, so even people who look with a looking glass won't notice a difference. 

The benefit? You can switch gauges to your liking, different style faces, different information for different cars. Basically, you need only one size display for ALL cars and then you adapt the style and gauge faces to that particular model. This will save TONS of money in the process. Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    782275 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442944 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263531 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261987 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    86050 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6044 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881733 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    820017 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM