Forum - Thread

F430 testdrive vid

driver can't drive, but some nice impressions (divx-file):

http://www.nasharty.net/my-symbian/f430/clip/f430clip.avi

Re: F430 testdrive vid

Nice vid. thansk

Ok. This is my first post on this site.

First of all, I am the driver of the F430 in this clip. I already own a Modena F1 and a Maranello 550, not to mention some other performance cars.
    So I know very well how to drive.

Second of all, this car was just for a TEST DRIVE. It is one of two cars arrived in Geneva, Switzerland. So I am glad enough to have the possibility to drive it.

Also, the traffic was unbelievable. I dare Michael Schumacher himslef can't do any better. And once I found a strip I punched it to 200KM/H in the CITY. That is not enough for you guys????

And last but not least, I was shifting a lot because I wanted to test the transmission. As a current Modena F1 owner, I wanted to know the good and bad things about the new transmission when compared to the Modena.

Quote:
    nasharty said:
    First of all, I am the driver of the F430 in this clip. I already own a Modena F1 and a Maranello 550, not to mention some other performance cars.

Ok, I'm gonna sound a bit rude, but owning a Ferrari (or several) doesn't make one a good driver. That said, I don't know you, so I can't (and won't) judge.

Quote:
    And once I found a strip I punched it to 200KM/H in the CITY. That is not enough for you guys????

Enough? Yeah, that's more than enough. Flame me if you want, but that kind of speed inside the city in both dangerous and plain stupid. Whatever your driving skills are.

Greeting and welcome here anyway!
    --Pierre

OK, first, forget about the Michael Schumacher comment because people would misunderstand that. I agree, even Michael Schumacher wouldn't have been able to be faster in that kind of traffic conditions but I hope I understand you well enough that you actually meant the traffic conditions and not Michael Schumacher's driving skills.

Now the more important part:
    1. I don't know why people are flaming you that you can't drive. Sorry rossi and the others but I tried hard, I watched the video twice and all I can actually see in this video is two guys playing around with a F430 on a test drive. Nothing more and nothing less. It is impossible to tell ANYTHING about the driver's driving skills from this video. Honestly.
    2. Regarding the speeding in the city: well, I don't know. Although I agree with Pierre that 200 kph in the city would be pretty dumb, I saw "only" 180 kph and apparently driven on one of those swiss inner city highways (although I might be wrong). Usually around 80-100 kph are legal on those highways (at least around St. Gallen and Zurich, I went to school there) and I have to confess that I usually did 130-140 kph on those highways, so 180 aren't a big deal if there is no traffic.

C'mon guys, watch the video, I doubt all of you really tried hard to watch it from A to B. Be fair, guys.

Quote:
    nasharty said:
    Ok. This is my first post on this site.

Welcome.

Quote:
    nasharty said:

Owning one or more sports cars unfortunately says nothing about one's driving skills.

Quote:
    nasharty said:
    Second of all, this car was just for a TEST DRIVE. It is one of two cars arrived in Geneva, Switzerland. So I am As glad enough to have the possibility to drive it.

If you want to TEST DRIVE it, you should have left the city and take some low-traffic-country-roads. How about that?

Quote:
    nasharty said:
    Also, the traffic was unbelievable. I dare Michael Schumacher himslef can't do any better. And once I found a strip I punched it to 200KM/H in the CITY. That is not enough for you guys????

That in fact is absolutely irresponsible, not to say plain stupid (BTW I dare to say M. Schuhmacher would never even try that).

Quote:
    nasharty said:
    And last but not least, I was shifting a lot because I wanted to test the transmission. As a current Modena F1 owner, I wanted to know the good and bad things about the new transmission when compared to the Modena.

Well, could you go on then and please tell us about your impressions and the differences between the two of them?

Quote:
    RC said:
    I don't know why people are flaming you that you can't drive. Sorry rossi and the others but I tried hard, I watched the video twice and all I can actually see in this video is two guys playing around with a F430 on a test drive. Nothing more and nothing less. It is impossible to tell ANYTHING about the driver's driving skills from this video. Honestly.

All I wanted to say with "driver can't drive" is, that obviously he's playing with the paddles too much. But I also know that one can't judge the driving skills from this short video.

Basically I think it's a common problem of the F1: you just change gears too often, because it is so simple to change gears. (and that's why I still prefer the stick... )

rossi, I think he's just playing with the paddles, right. He's switching shifting modes too, just playing around. I would do the same at the beginning, especially since this is something pretty new.
    And the city is definetely no place for a testdrive, although I would love to take a Carrera GT for a testdrive in a city to verify the claims of some owners who don't like the clutch.

Well.

I am not comparing my driving skills to Schumacher. I am just saying that at that level of traffic it is impossible that he could have done anything.

Concerning taking the car to the highway. Well, because most of you don't live in Switzerland, the time where I took the car for a test drive, the highway is nearly blocked. At that time it is usually a rush hour. Nearly 80% of Geneva's employement is not from the city. So at that time people are actually leaving the city.

The speed which I reached in the car was exactly around 196KMH. You see it at 180KMH because the angel at which the camera was set was to the right. And thus, you will see the needle below its actual point.

About the speeding in the city. I really wanted to see the car's reaction to speeds. That road's speed limit is 80KMH. It is an outside main road which leads to Geneva. There are no people out there. Only cars. There are no pavements or sidewalks. So please before saying that I am stupid, look at the clip again.

Now about that BEAUTIFUL F1 transmission.
    The car's transmission is clearly better, faster, and smoother than the Modena F1. I really found it awkward in the Modena when I shift from 1st gear to 2nd gear. It usually took like nearly 1.5 seconds (if not more when the car is cold) to shift in normal driving mode.
    The sensitivity of the throttle and the deployment of the clutch on the F430 is SENSATIONAL and very SENSITIVE.
    In the Modena, I need to press the throttle like an inch for the clutch to respond and the car starts moving. In the F430 there is no need whatsoever for that inch. All what it takes is a TOUCH and the car will start moving.
    The problem I had with the Modena's 1st and 2nd gear shifting is now non existant.
    The F1 paddles are thicker and much more grippy.
    The steering wheel is way better than that of the Modena. It is like a rectangle but with rounded sides.

The car I drove had bucket seats. Although, I ordred normal seats in my car, those bucket seats were very nice and supportive. They are better than those installed in the Modena.

Thats all what's in my head for the moment.

If anybody got more questions about the car to ask, I am more than happy to respond.

Quote:
    RC said:
    rossi, I think he's just playing with the paddles, right. He's switching shifting modes too, just playing around. I would do the same at the beginning, especially since this is something pretty new.
    And the city is definetely no place for a testdrive, although I would love to take a Carrera GT for a testdrive in a city to verify the claims of some owners who don't like the clutch.

He really should have taken another road then, especially as you won't find any differences between the manettino settings in the city except for the harshness of the ride and what your bum feels over potholes .
    BTW, if you take the Carrera GT out in the city, can you take me as your passenger, please? I'll promise I'll take care of your digicam!

No.

I managed to feel the difference upshifting and downshifting when I was testing the car on that speed. It is clearly visible in the clip. The shifting was FAST and that was because I had "Race" engaged.

Quote:
    nasharty said:
    I managed to feel the difference upshifting and downshifting when I was testing the car on that speed. It is clearly visible in the clip. The shifting was FAST and that was because I had "Race" engaged.

Of course you could, the race/sport mode has always been better than the normal setting, because despite of being slow, the gear changes in any other setting than the race/sport mode appear to be too easygoing. So it's just logical that you could feel a difference in the shifting times.
    What really would concern is the difference between the F1 of the Modena, the F1 of the Challenge Stradale and the F1 of the F430. Any comments?

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    What really would concern is the difference between the F1 of the Modena, the F1 of the Challenge Stradale and the F1 of the F430. Any comments?

Oops, just read your comments about the F1 above. That F430 F1 sounds really promising. Thanks for the detailed report!

And not only that.

The Modena starts in "Normal" driving mode. And in that mode the shifting (specially 1st and 2nd gears) are VERY SLOW. Even slower than an automatic transmission sometimes.
    Now the F430 in "Sport" mode is its NORMAL driving mode.

When I first started the engine at the dealership, the car was cold, and I engaged "Wet" mode to start going. This mode at least should have been slower than "Normal" mode in the Modena. In fact, and I was surprised, it was FASTER in gear changes than "Normal" mode in the Modena.

I can't however comment on the Stradale F1 because I never drove one. I drove, however, the E-gear in the Lambo Gallardo. I can tell you that the F430 is REALLY faster in gear change and is very well put, unlike E-gear which at some points stalls the engine when shifting between reverse and 1st gear. At some point I also felt the E-gear would break. There are some strange metal noises that I never liked and found really weird.

Quote:
    nasharty said:
    ...And last but not least, I was shifting a lot because I wanted to test the transmission. As a current Modena F1 owner, I wanted to know the good and bad things about the new transmission when compared to the Modena.

For what its worth, thanks for answering my question.

Anytime

How do you get it to play? I got playback with sound only?

Thanks for your advice.

Quote:
    Ryan in SD said:
    Quote:
    nasharty said:
    ...And last but not least, I was shifting a lot because I wanted to test the transmission. As a current Modena F1 owner, I wanted to know the good and bad things about the new transmission when compared to the Modena.

For what its worth, thanks for answering my question.

mine as well--

don't get me wrong, you seemed to have a (very) enjoyable time in the video provided...

it just appeared--no offense--adolescent and bordering on the irresponsible...

that said, i appreciate your thoughtful responses and comments

I don't know what all the 'bad driving' fuss is all about either. I have watched the video several times and call me a TOOL but I would probably be doing the same in my testdrive. I would be very interested in finding out what the F1 gearbox was like, and I would check how it reacted to different "dumb" gearshifts to try to catch it out.

Anyway, thanx for the video nasharty, I LOVE the sound of that Ferrari V8 They're probably just jealous of your testdrive....(I know I am)

Quote:
    temm said:
    I LOVE the sound of that Ferrari V8 They're probably just jealous of your testdrive....(I know I am)

I love it when he says "I can't even use the race mode!"

Can you guys cut the driver some slack? He was having fun with the car during the test drive and there is nothing wrong with that.

Man the amount of Playa Haters in this forum is up the roof!!

What really impressed me is that the driver managed to get his hand on the car. I don't think a lot of people can do that but I guess he is a good client with Ferrari Suisse.

Nasharty, I hope u already ordered one. Enjoy it and have fun. By the way, I luved your Nokia phone from the test drive. It looked really cool with the car. I bought one as soon as I saw the video.

Lawrence

Quote:
    sparetireless said:

How do you get it to play? I got playback with sound only?

Thanks for your advice.

You have to install the Divx codec.

Quote:
    jomana123456 said:
    By the way, I luved your Nokia phone from the test drive. It looked really cool with the car. I bought one as soon as I saw the video

This is the Nokia 9500 Communicator. I am glad you bought one. You will never regret it.

And by the way, yes I ordered one already. I shall take delivery somewhere in the third quarter of 2005. I am guaranteed that my F430 will be number 17 in Switzerland.
    I am getting the new greyish black color with savanah (brown cream) interior; same interior that the car I drove had. My current Modena is rosa red with black interior, so I guess it is time for a change.

Option list include the following:-
    Ceramic Brakes
    F1 Transmission
    Dedicated Signature
    Leather cieling
    Leather rear compartment
    Bose system
    Navigation
    Stradale Rims
    Run Flat Tyres
    Carbon Fiber Inserts
    Bluetooth

Quote:
    nasharty said:

Option list include the following:-
    Ceramic Brakes
    F1 Transmission
    Dedicated Signature
    Leather cieling
    Leather rear compartment
    Bose system
    Navigation
    Stradale Rims
    Run Flat Tyres
    Carbon Fiber Inserts
    Bluetooth

Congrats!
    What is Dedicated Signature?

Quote:
    nasharty said:
    My current Modena is rosa red with black interior, so I guess it is time for a change.

Yeah, you better change that colour! (congrats BTW, great car )

Quote:
    temm said:
    Congrats!
    What is Dedicated Signature?

Silver dedication plate inside.

Didn't know that you could order it with Bose sound system. The question is: Will you be able to appreciate it with the V8 shouting in your ears?
    Great options choices, well done!

Bose Sound System option was available even on Modenas since 2003. They just replace the normal speakers with Bose ones and install also a subwoofer between the two seats.

It is quite a nice option. However, I think I will keep the system off most of the time.

Quote:
    nasharty said:

I am getting the new greyish black color with savanah (brown cream) interior

Is that the Silverstone Grey? Can't think of anything else I would describe as "greyish black".

Gary

Nasharty,
    I have seen that system on the 03 and 04 360s and I'm pretty sure it's not Bose, it's the same manufacturer as the Maserati one actually (which makes sense).
    I'll ask my Ferrari contact sometime this week, he should know.
    The one in the 612 is Bose, that I am 100%, so it should also be Bose in the 430 I guess.
    Not crucially important, but the only Bose I've tried in a car is the one on the SL and S class and it is very impressive indeed.

Yeah, my bad. Probably it wasn't Bose.

However, as a comment on the sound system in the SL. I can tell you that the one available on the E class is MUCH better. I have an SL500 and also an E55 AMG. The Harman/Kardon system on the E55 is just way better than the Bose system on S, SL, or CL class.

I can't really remember though what was the name of the color exactly. It was shown however in one of the pictures in the F430 pictures thread in ferrarichat.com. It is the car with read interior.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    778137 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442046 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262950 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261209 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85469 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5703 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880873 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816486 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM