Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

GSM phone option for the USA

Here are some details about the newly available GSM phone module for the PCM 2 in USA and Canada:

Option code 666 - Module for Telephone PCM
    Price tag is 960 US$ (1340 CND$).
    This module includes a hands-free option.

Option code 668 - Handset for Telephone Module
    Price tag is 260 US$ (360 CND$).
    This is only needed if you want a handset (without dialing capability in the handset itself), for example for confidential calls or if your co-passenger wants to talk on the phone without having to use the standard handsfree option.

Both options are available for immediate ordering!

Re: GSM phone option for the USA

The optional GSM telephone has a transmit power of 8 Watts, a 12-digit keypad and a modified hands-free facility. Audio quality has also been improved. The hands-free microphone is located next to the steering column and is ideally positioned for the driver.

is this retro-fitable to a PCM that does have a faceplate WITHOUT sim? i.e. are new faceplates retro-fitable also, or is ther other hardware (sim drawer) missing on thos PCM's?

also, is the PCM module something that is located behind the PCM unit or is this one of the module underneath the steering colum?

thanks,
    -r

forgive my ignorance, but can someone please help me (March 05 build for 997s). i have a cdma (verizon) phone. would that be compatible with this option? if not, what do i need to to? buy a gsm phone? then if i do, how exactly does it work? sounds like there is some card that i physically remove from the gsm phone and put it in the slot in the pcm when i get in the car? is it voice activated? i assume when there is an incoming call, the stereo automatically goes off? thanks for the help, i can't much info on this on porsche's website or in their brochure.

A GSM phone has a SIM card (subscriber information module) that stores your phone number account ID as well it can store your phone book. It usually is located behind the battery of your handset. When placed in the SIM drawer of a GSM equiped PCM (option 666) viola the hands free phone should work.
    To date PCNA has not released any info about this option other than it it is available, so your dealer is pretty clueless at this time.
    Here is a pic of a SIM card:

The only thing is that it better be an "unlocked" phone rather than forcing the user to a specific GSM carrier.

The drama continues. I guess PCNA will release info within the next several weeks! $90k later and the guessing game about the phone setup still continues....oh such amusement!

GG

Trice,

Your dilemma points to the idiocy of Porsche's approach. You would need to start a new service with Cingular or T-Mobile and have another number. And even if you already have GSM service from one of these carriers you would still need a second SIM card and a second number, since evidently GSM carriers will not provide cloned cards (either in the USA or Europe).

The SIM card cannot be physically transfered back and forth on a regular basis practically speaking.

My suggestion would be: instead of paying PAG nearly $1,000 for a truly half-arsed, out of date phone solution, spend a fraction of that on a new phone with Bluetooth and a cordless Bluetooth earpiece.

It is not of course a perfect solution - there is none with a Porsche for now - but it will allow you to keep your existing service and keep one number.

I assume Porsche will also offer a Bluetooth module once its Telematics vendor gets its act together. Otherwise they may soon be unique among premium car manufacturers in not offering the only logical, modern phone integration solution. Besides they will be able to charge another $960 or maybe $1,960 for something that comes standard on many $30,000 cars already!

FYI, this blog covers the subject: http://bluetoothcar.typepad.com/main/

PS: I'm just getting into this 'Porsche thing'. The car is a hoot to drive and looks absolutely wonderful, but their 'nickel and diming' on features is a joke. I had to take mine pre-ordered and the dealership got nearly everything right (at a price), but excluded the steering wheel audio control option - absolutely standard today on many $20,000 cars but a $960 option on a Porsche.

Since the engine drowns out the stereo as it revs up I'm constantly reaching over to adjust the volume and since I like to replay CD tracks I am constantly pressing the tiny, cheap little buttons on the console which is dangerously distracting and I wouldn't be surprised if they give out after a few months.

It must be incredibly inefficient for Porsche to design, manufacture and inventory all these different options. I'm sure they could offer their cars for a lot less and make even more profit if they just included everything, at least on a telematic level, standard.

Quote:
    pnoble said:

It must be incredibly inefficient for Porsche to design, manufacture and inventory all these different options. I'm sure they could offer their cars for a lot less and make even more profit if they just included everything, at least on a telematic level, standard.

I agree with you. For example, Acura, does a pretty good job. The Acura TL comes loaded (except for the $3000 nav) So the only choices you have are color, nav, and whether you want manual vs automatic. So, it's pretty easy to find a car you want by calling all the dealers in your area or State. I mean, no real need to order a car from the factory unless you enjoy that process.

Now, I ordered my 997S fully loaded so it's essentially a $100K purchase. Why not make all the 997S's fully loaded and sell if for $90K MSRP. And maybe a fully loaded 997 for $80K. The advantages for Porsche would be that they can move these cars more efficiently (ie., cars don't have to sit on dealers lots because of lack of options). I mean, this is more complicated than it really has to be.

PNoble,

You are completely right about Bluetooth. Add an aux input and MP3 ability to the sound system and I would be very happy.

SoCal Alan,

I'm not sure Porsche stockholders would understand your logic. PCNA is selling (to dealers) all they can make at the current prices. Why sell a car that you (and others) were willing to buy for $100K for $90K? Their current system is pretty well thought out. Either a build is pre-sold and configured by the customer, or the dealer, who best knows what his local market wants (or will bear) configures the car. If the dealer ends up with car he can't sell, he discounts it until he can and remembers the lesson. In either case the decision of what is or is not in the car is made locally, rather then by central planning.

The crazy (and I mean crazy) number of options I believe are designed to mentally involve the enthusiast in the buying process (increasing commitment) and to make each car unique and special. Normally forcing the customer to make so many decisions would hurt sales, and that would be true for a larger volume brand, but since Porsches are sold in relatively low volumes to a very involved enthusiast consumer, it works (apparently). If Porsche came out with a $35K car, they should do what you suggest.

Seattle USA, I'm sure your right that this is Porsche's strategy and maybe it is the smartest from their point of view, but how much does it cost US in terms of their cost inefficiency to custom manufacture this way.

I would certainly prefer to be able to purchase a more standardized car for a lot less, which I'm sure would be possible without impacting Porsche's profit per car.

Maybe I'm in a minority to not care if my seat belts are yellow, pink or blue rather than basic black!

Maybe it would also positively impact their current six month plus back order for the S in my area if they adopted more of a mass production approach to building them.

Maybe they could offer a standard edition and a special custom edition and those wishing to differentiate themselves would be happy to pay the freight and wait the wait. While the 'standard' types - and I'm sure there are many - could pay less and get their cars faster.

PS: not having stearing wheel controls standard on a $93K car (the cost of mine) is just insulting - and they will be the ones fixing the sound system controls when they inevitably fail from overuse.

IMHO, it's insulting to have audio controls on the steering wheel of a sports car. I'm embarrassed by the cup holders in my GT3! Don't let the delay in the phone option spoil your enjoyment of the driving experience. I guess I am no longer Porsche's target audience for the 997.

Quote:
    pnoble said:
    Your dilemma points to the idiocy of Porsche's approach. You would need to start a new service with Cingular or T-Mobile and have another number. And even if you already have GSM service from one of these carriers you would still need a second SIM card and a second number, since evidently GSM carriers will not provide cloned cards (either in the USA or Europe).

I'm afraid this is not quite right. So called SIM "twin" cards are available from some european telecom companies, including mine over here in Germany. And in the UK, there is the possibility of getting up to 10 SIM cards which work with the same phone number. Just a question of cost.

Now let me ask you: who really needs a phone in the car? Right, a business man, a doctor, a lawyer, a real estate agent, a financial broker, etc. These people always have the money to go for a second SIM card and program call forwarding if the first card doesn't "answer".
    Just an example.

Bluetooth is no solution. Why? Over here in Europe, people are very sceptical and even critical about everything wireless. There are lots of discussions about cellular phones, Wlan installations, etc. As long as people are very cautious, I don't see a chance for Bluetooth over here. Not to speak about the currently discovered security issues with Bluetooth and the excessive range of some devices.

Porsche should be blamed for something else: for installing the PCM system on ALL 997. This doesn't make sense because a lot of people don't want or need Navigation or the Phone and just for listening to music, the PCM is overkill.
    And it hinders HiFi enthusiasts to install sophisticated systems to their car. A shame.

I own Porsche cars since 1996 and I started around 1997 to get involved in internet forums and other stuff regarding Porsche and their products. There are times, I really doubt the sanity of some decision takers but what do I know?!

I don't understand how the security is improved by having a sim card permanently mounted in the car that makes it possible for parking attendants to make personal long distance calls to their friends in Antartica. With Bluetooth all the "brains" leaves the car when you leave the car.

Not every German car manufacturer believes Bluetooth is no solution:

Quote:
    BMW Announces Bluetooth Availability for the 2005 Model Year

October 28th, 2004, Woodcliff Lake, NJ... Today BMW offered its second major in-car communication/entertainment initiative for the 2005 model year. Following its announcement about the availability of Sirius satellite radio as a factory-installed option, BMW announced the availability of Bluetooth for nearly all 2005 model BMWs, providing a new standard of convenience for in-car hands-free calling.

Quote:
    How does Bluetooth(R) work in my Audi?

When an Audi vehicle is equipped with a phone preparation utilizing a Bluetooth(R) interface, hands-free functionality is enabled (cell phones and cell phone subscription sold separately). If you have an Audi phone cradle, all you have to do is insert the phone into the cradle and it will work with the car. If you are instead using Bluetooth to connect with the Audi phone preparation, please follow the instructions in your phone manual in order to pair your phone with the Audi system.

The Audi cell phone preparation has the following features:
    Using a Bluetooth connection or an Audi phone cradle, the Audi phone preparation will allow you to place and receive phone calls through the Audi MMI or through the voice control system.
    In addition, cell phone book access and caller ID is available through the MMI and instrument cluster (not all phones support these features).
    During a call, voice mail can be accessed using the MMI
    Up to four different Bluetooth cell phones can be paired to the Audi cell phone preparation; however, only one phone can be connected actively at one time.

Quote:
    Seattle USA said:
    I don't understand how the security is improved by having a sim card permanently mounted in the car that makes it possible for parking attendants to make personal long distance calls to their friends in Antartica. With Bluetooth all the "brains" leaves the car when you leave the car.

Not every German car manufacturer believes Bluetooth is no solution:

BMW and Audi offer this solution specifically for the US market. It is available over here too but as I said before, it isn't something people really want.

Regarding the parking attendant using the car: we hardly have Valet parking over here and I have to admit that I always get a strange feeling when I give the keys to a valet guy when I'm in the US. I don't like it, I want to park my car myself. My car is my castle...
    To get back to the unauthorized usage of the phone: when I turn on my GSM phone, it asks for a 4-digit PIN code. Without the PIN code, the phone, address book, etc. does not function. Only the international GSM emergency number 112 is working, even without a SIM card. So if the parking guy wants to make a call, no chance. And if he enter the false code more than three times, the PIN is blocked. The owner of the phone can unblock the PIN by using a so called Super PIN, a 6-digit number which he already got in the mail when he signed up for GSM services.

You see: no problem.

Entering a 4 digit number every time you turn on your car sounds like a perfect solution.

Kind of like the "lawyer" confirmation screen with the navigation system only 4 times better.

SeatleUSA,

I'm 100% on your side in this argument!

'Who needs a phone in a car?' 'Europeans don't trust Bluetooth. It's only for you Americans'! (Excuse the paraphrase). Come on, RC!

The US is actually well behind Europe in terms of both cell phone penetration and Bluetooth adoption.

Consider these two technology options:

Bluetooth: I get in my car and my cell phone is instantly, automatically, fully integrated. My wife takes my car and her phone is instantly, automatically, fully integrated. I leave the car and my phone connectivity leaves with me. End of story.

The Porsche way: if you can convince your carrier to give you a clone card, at an additional service cost, you may or may not be able to get calls in your car at your current number, assuming of course that your service is with one of the two GSM providers rather than (in the USA) CDMA (Verizon and Sprint) or iDEN (Nextel). So in the USA there is a well over 50% chance you need to change your phone carrier for a start. And in Japan GSM is not even an option, though Porsche seems quite happy to sell its cars there. Then you have the fun of transfering all your numbers into phone memory in your hand phone, puting the new SIM card in your hand phone, transfering all your numbers to the car's SIM and repeating every time you add a new number to your cell phone. Not to forget adding a security code to your car phone which you need to initialize each time you get in/out of the car if you have valet parking.

Which approach makes more sense? But I don't even have that option because my facia panel doesn't even have a GSM slot!

Think about it: Porsche introduces a new car after maybe 7-8 years of development and they (or their telematics vendor) makes two facia molds - the first for just a few hundred cars manufactured in the first few weeks. My guess: they had a problem with their Bluetooth integration and were forced to rush out a GSM option at the last moment.

Peter H: 'It's insulting for a sports car to have audio controls on the steering wheel'?

If I'm driving as hard/fast as I do - which is why I got a Porsche in the first place, I'd rather keep both hands on the steering wheel and eyes on the road as much as possible. Porsche was happy to charge me $1,390 for a Bose sound system while at the same time removing the auto-level feature of the standard sound system. So I am forced to constantly fiddle with the sound level. So since they make a steering wheel with the controls I'd have prefered if they had made it standard, or standard with the Bose anyhow. As said, I didn't have the luxury of being able to configure my own car.

RC,
    It is complete nonsense to say that Bluetooth is no solution and "Europeans do not trust anything wireless".
    I am European and have Bluetooth in my three BMWs there.
    It works perfectly! For the 2005 model year BMW include BT free with most of their cars sold in the USA as it is in the same module as the "BMW Assist".
    There are many millions of Europeans and we are not all the same! And Wireless LANs are THE big growth area in Europe.
    The alleged BT security issues are just an excuse. The issues around the PCM approach to GSM are far worse and cripple it as an effective solution for most. There is no point in talking about a second SIM card if your phone supplier won't make one available. In the USA there are not lots of competing GSM suppliers in most regions so one does not have a choice. Indeed in most regions there is no GSM at all.
    Your generalisations about "business men" always having lots of money to waste on unnecessary workarounds like two phones is also false.
    However, I do agree about the unfortunate decison to install PCM in all 997s. It is complete overkill if you don't have phone or navigation modules and I haven't yet worked out a way of switching it on without having instant music. Whatever button I press the result is the same.
    I would happily switch to the basic Boxster solution in the 2005 model.
    It seems to me that Porsche has completely misunderstood its largest marketplace.

Here's my PCM cell phone solution. I'm going to order the GSM cell phone module, hopefully I can find it for less than $960 in a couple of months. I'm also going to trade-in my Blackberry 7230 for a Treo 650, which has an easy to remove GSM card unlike my Crackberry. More than 20-30 minutes in the car, I'll just rely on the Treo 650 speakerphone, assuming I answer the the thing at all. Long-haul, I'm going to use the PCM. I used Bluetooth a few years ago with my HP PDA and my GSM T-68i; it took to much time to make sure the two items were connected and both machines sucked too much power when connected. Bluetooth is overrated IMHO. I may be dropping T-Mobile for ATT as well. Oh my...too much change. I'm so scared.

I'm also thinking I could download music and movies and listen/watch them on the Treo 650 while on the plane. Hmmm, even porno...well maybe that's not such a good idea...the porno, that is.

Actually my dealer's sales person (who is very knowledgeable and owns an old 911S himself) tells me that PCNA will be offering a Bluetooth retrofit option.

I'm not surprised. The current solution is idiotic and surely only temporary. But since the Bluetooth option will invariably cost.....$960 like every other near zero cost option that other manufacturers include at no cost in $30K cars, I think I will stick with plan B and just get myself a nice new phone with a Bluetooth headset.

The Motorola Bluetooth car kit has been installed in 997s:

http://commerce.motorola.com/cgi-bin/nco...96&type=All

GSM phone option for the USA

pnoble - right on brother. The phone system is second rate. The stereo controls are small and a distraction. Now what the heck are those 2 huge pieces of plastic on my steering wheel. I was pushing them for 2 weeks, forgetting that they weren't my horn. There really is no excuse why somthing that I look at everyday, looks so cheap. Now maybe if they shaped the plastic like a nipple...

jb

Great idea!

To me this is a consequence of 'boutique' manufacturing, relatively speaking.

I think one can draw a strong comparison with the 'esoteric' end of the audio market.

Very often a $20,000 amp is more crudely manufactured than a $1,000 amp, because the company making it is tiny and has limited resources and manufacturing sophistication. What they have is 'passion' and a commitment to 'excellence'.

Experts will swear that the accoustic qualities are superior to the mass market product and sometimes this is truly the case. It is certainly so, in automotive terms, with a Porsche.

I wonder what percentage of Porsche owners have very high end sound systems?

At the very least sonic or automotive excellence follows the rule of escalating cost and the law of diminishing returns!

PS: I drove my 997S home last night from the office in pouring rain and very fast (for a US highway, anyhow).

What a superb, beautifully balanced car!

I have never, personally, driven anything close. My M5, a wonderful car for what it was, is becoming a distant memory.

And later in the evening my wife and I picked up our 17 year old daughter from the train station. You cant do that in a 360 or 430.

So, they have a hokey solution for cell phone integration, and still haven't given my dealer a snow tire solution or suggestion two weeks before Christmas, and they grossly overcharge for options that come standard on my daughter's $30K A4......but driving the car, I am humbled. Looking at it too.

Life is not perfect. The 997S comes awfully close!

I don't disagree with anything you say. It is a wonderful car and the next 911 will be even better.
    The world and Porsche have moved on.
    Back when I bought my first 3.2 Carrera cellular phone usage was a rare thing and we all put up with the simplistic aspects of the 911 like the crude heater controls between the front seats, hidden switches under the dash and so on.
    Nowadays a 997 is just as much a luxury car as a sports car because that is the direction that Porsche have taken it.
    And Porsche have also embraced the cellular phone that has become an obligatory item for so many now - they have built-in (sort of) the cellular option, you get the SIM card tray, etc. even if you don't want a phone.
    All we ask is that they do it properly as we know they can. If we don't keep asking they are unlikely to do things differently.
    Finally I would like to remind people that many parts of the world have made use of a hand-held cellular phone illegal whilst driving so for many some kind of built-in hands-free device is essential.

New York and New Jersey for example.

Still no phone option, still no answers on snow tires here in NJ

Has anyone tried ordering the telephone module from Tequiment yet?

My 997 should arrive mid to late Feb equiped with the option 666 telephone module. Not being one who needs or wants to use a hand-held phone whilst driving I figured why not give it a try.
    Nationwide cell service in the US is a joke as soon as you leave a major metro area, and I do enjoy my Porsche on cross country road trips, the last being 5,800mi,
    I'am really curious to see if the 8watt transmit power (I don't believe the bluetooth options give you this) will make a difference out in the country.
    Hopefully I have not purchased a $960 white elephant.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777207 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441699 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262779 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260951 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85223 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5568 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880655 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815942 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM