Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 991 Speedster

I like to breed unicorns smiley

1587775211516IMG_1058.jpeg

1587775211511IMG_1052.jpeg

--

I think the speedster’s body color is supremely beautiful.

mcdelaug:

Give it to the Italians for coming up with such a beautiful color, Azzurro Thetys from Lamborghini indecision

--

mcdelaug:

I agree. The color suits the Speedster perfectly. It’ll get a lot of attention. Smiley

--

When you're going through hell.....keep going.

Wow, absolutely stunning. What is the “effect” on the tail pipes?
    Pretty much perfection 

Nice pair kiss

Congratulations on a beautiful collection! Smiley

How would you compare the 911 R and the 911 Speedster?   BF822CAF-50E5-4C47-9B23-F36F9B8F5A9C.gif

Do you find any noticeable difference in the engine?  E0F26BDD-E91B-4EF4-964B-7C4204B9E420.gif

Enjoy them both!  Smiley

Very nice kiss Congrats! indecision

--

2017 991.2 Carrera 4 GTS | GT Silver Metallic - The GT3 Killah!
    2018 Audi S6 Avant | Ibis White

Must be the most beautifully speedster there is . Details are incredible . And the setting it live in , suits it so well kiss

I could live with the green R Smiley
    --

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm -- 991.2 GT3 RS 

Simply WOW! Amazing spec! And the view....now I know how's the heaven looks :))

unotaz:

Very nice!  Which area of L.A. are you in (I lived there as a kid)?

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

I’ll level with you: If you just listed the details of your spec on paper I’d cringe at the thought of such a combination (and I typically pride myself in having a good eye for visualization), but man did it come together beautifully. It is stunning, the details really take it above any other tailored Porsche I’ve seen. 

996FourEss:

Wow, absolutely stunning. What is the “effect” on the tail pipes?
    Pretty much perfection 

It's an anodized finish on the titanium tip by Dundon Motorsport.  I was very disappointed with the OEM OPF exhaust when I drove my friend's Speedster a few months back, so I reached out to Dundon and installed their exhaust on my Speedster prior to delivery.  Now she sounds like a proper Speedster with lots of raspiness and ticking! 

I usually stay OEM on most of my cars, but unfortunately, I believe we have now reached a point in time where these NA engines are being phased out and neutered by upcoming emission regulations. From the factory, I don't think engines will ever sound as good as before.  

--

Boxster Coupe GTS:

How would you compare the 911 R and the 911 Speedster?   BF822CAF-50E5-4C47-9B23-F36F9B8F5A9C.gif

Do you find any noticeable difference in the engine?  E0F26BDD-E91B-4EF4-964B-7C4204B9E420.gif

Enjoy them both!  Smiley

I haven't had extensive amount of seat time on my Speedster yet.  Took delivery a few days ago and I am waiting to put a clear bra on the car next week.  In the 50 miles that I have driven the Speedster, a few things jumped out at me.  

The ride is softer (comfortable) than my 911R.  The clutch in the Speedster, considering that its a DMFW, has much smaller bite point than I expected and can be quite tricky (very similar to the SMFW in the R).  The 911R has more mechanical chatters and the Speedster roof design acts like an additional insulation inside the cabin. Speedster seems to run at a lower voltage (13.8V) compared to my other 991s (14.3V), perhaps due a lower load from its alternator? 

I won't have a full report until I put the clear bra on the car and give it some proper thrashing in the canyons a few weeks from now. 

--

Enmanuel:

I’ll level with you: If you just listed the details of your spec on paper I’d cringe at the thought of such a combination (and I typically pride myself in having a good eye for visualization), but man did it come together beautifully. It is stunning, the details really take it above any other tailored Porsche I’ve seen. 

Thank you for the kinds words! 

Luckily, I already have some experience when I was building my 911R (Brewster Green, Rhodium Silver and Gloss Black), so visually I knew the spec I was doing on the Speedster (Azzurro Thetys, Meerblau and Stahlblau) would work well.  Of course, doing a build of this complexity is always nerve wrecking as you are working with Porsche Exclusive and the constant going back and forth mail

--

Grant:
    unotaz:

I'm in Hidden Hills (near Calasbasas area), so I'm very close to some of the best driving roads in LA. 

--

amazing color combo kiss

--

Tim

2010 997.2 GT3RS;  2008 Cayenne Turbo;  2006 911 Club Coupe;  2016 911 GTS Club Coupe;  2015 Macan S;  2019 Speedster

Stunning Project. I like the fact they accepted to offer the goldish logo on non heritage cars! 
    they burnt my brain with this when I tried to get it done on the Porsche logo. 
    the back and forth with Exclusiv is indeed a fair test of your patience but once they agree they know how to do stunning stuff. 
    well done for this one. Gorgeous car. 

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

unotaz:
    Boxster Coupe GTS:

Enjoy them both!  Smiley

I haven't had extensive amount of seat time on my Speedster yet.  Took delivery a few days ago and I am waiting to put a clear bra on the car next week.  In the 50 miles that I have driven the Speedster, a few things jumped out at me.  

The ride is softer (comfortable) than my 911R.  The clutch in the Speedster, considering that its a DMFW, has much smaller bite point than I expected and can be quite tricky (very similar to the SMFW in the R).  The 911R has more mechanical chatters and the Speedster roof design acts like an additional insulation inside the cabin. Speedster seems to run at a lower voltage (13.8V) compared to my other 991s (14.3V), perhaps due a lower load from its alternator? 

I won't have a full report until I put the clear bra on the car and give it some proper thrashing in the canyons a few weeks from now. 

I would called it a fucking retarded piece of shit clutch.  

There is absolutely no warning as to when the car will stall. The 911R's single mass as least tells you it is stalling, this one just dies. 

--

Whoopsy:

There is absolutely no warning as to when the car will stall. The 911R's single mass as least tells you it is stalling, this one just dies. 

LOL, I felt like an amateur driving the Speedster at first.  I stalled it on the dealer's lot.  I don't remember the last time I did that on any of my cars heart

--

unotaz:
    Grant:
    unotaz:

I'm in Hidden Hills (near Calasbasas area), so I'm very close to some of the best driving roads in LA. 

Ah, nice!  Malibu Canyon and the like over the hill to the Pacific kiss

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

unotaz:
    Whoopsy:

LOL, I felt like an amateur driving the Speedster at first.  I stalled it on the dealer's lot.  I don't remember the last time I did that on any of my cars heart

Same here. Like, I KNOW how to drive a manual without stalling, but WTF is happening with this car. There is no feel to the clutch. 

--

Whoopsy:

Same here. Like, I KNOW how to drive a manual without stalling, but WTF is happening with this car. There is no feel to the clutch. 

As they say in the tech biz, its not a bug.... its a feature.... Smiley

--

2017 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2019 Porsche 911 Turbo

Whoopsy:
    unotaz:
    Whoopsy:

I hope that’s not going to be carried over to the 992 GT3 Manual - my 991 clutch is very intuitive...

--

Grant:
    Whoopsy:
    unotaz:
    Whoopsy:

I hope that’s not going to be carried over to the 992 GT3 Manual - my 991 clutch is very intuitive...

I think the situation is unique to the Speedster. I had a 991 GT3 manual, and it isn't like this. 

In a normal manual car, you can feel the grab point with the clutch pedal, and the engine tells you if there is enough revs  or not, it will shutter/misfire/vibrate to let you know the car is about to stall and let you correct the application. Even the CGT gives you feedback on how the engine is coping with the clutch engagement, and that's already a tricky clutch. The single mass in the 911R is super light, but it gives plenty of warning as the single mass flywheel really shakes before it stalls. 

This one just dies the moment you hit the grab point without enough revs. Absolutely no warning. It dies quietly too, there is zero warning/feedback. I think the culprit is a super super light flywheel which has absolutely no spinning momentum. 

It's the one thing I hate about driving the damn thing, the other thing is that it's a manual. This is the 21st century for christ sake, not the 1980s, I put up with the horrible manual in my 964 only because that was the best gearbox Porsche had at the time.  Porsche have a killer gearbox right now yet they don't use it. Honestly the car is a failure. The Speedster would have been an absolute beast had Porsche put the PDK-S in it. Just imagine going hot into a mountain road corner, nailed the brakes and couple pulls with the left hand, roar roar goes the engine sound and all the while turning the wheel and nailing the apex with full control of the steering wheel, mash the throttle on exit and let the tail hang out and a couple pulls from the right hand, that's heaven. 

Now no one try and tell me it's about the connection with the car with a manual, that's BS. When I raced a Cup car, I am fully connected to the car, at braking and turning the car is fully at the limit, the 4 tires are telling me exactly what the car is doing and what it will do, there is no time to take a hand off the wheel and find the gear stick. I fully control when the gearbox will shift or not all the while fully controlling the steering angle also. 

--

Whoopsy:

In a normal manual car, you can feel the grab point with the clutch pedal, and the engine tells you if there is enough revs  or not, it will shutter/misfire/vibrate to let you know the car is about to stall and let you correct the application. Even the CGT gives you feedback on how the engine is coping with the clutch engagement, and that's already a tricky clutch. The single mass in the 911R is super light, but it gives plenty of warning as the single mass flywheel really shakes before it stalls. 

This one just dies the moment you hit the grab point without enough revs. Absolutely no warning. It dies quietly too, there is zero warning/feedback. I think the culprit is a super super light flywheel which has absolutely no spinning momentum. 

It's the one thing I hate about driving the damn thing, the other thing is that it's a manual. This is the 21st century for christ sake, not the 1980s, I put up with the horrible manual in my 964 only because that was the best gearbox Porsche had at the time.  Porsche have a killer gearbox right now yet they don't use it. Honestly the car is a failure. The Speedster would have been an absolute beast had Porsche put the PDK-S in it. Just imagine going hot into a mountain road corner, nailed the brakes and couple pulls with the left hand, roar roar goes the engine sound and all the while turning the wheel and nailing the apex with full control of the steering wheel, mash the throttle on exit and let the tail hang out and a couple pulls from the right hand, that's heaven. 

Now no one try and tell me it's about the connection with the car with a manual, that's BS. When I raced a Cup car, I am fully connected to the car, at braking and turning the car is fully at the limit, the 4 tires are telling me exactly what the car is doing and what it will do, there is no time to take a hand off the wheel and find the gear stick. I fully control when the gearbox will shift or not all the while fully controlling the steering angle also. 

there is indeed a lighter flywheel in the speedster compared to manual GT3. same logic applied between the pdk GT3 and the RS, lighter by few hundred grams but still. samll improvement done everywhere adds up to noticeable change.

you can still play with your manual in the canyon and make the engine screams...it is just 2 different philosophy, not sure about the engagement card with one or the other as they have both their pros and cons. like a brunette and a blond.

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

Well Nick, choice of transmission just a personal preference, totally subjective, will never have a right or wrong answer.

992 base Carrera PDK will be much faster and easier to drive on track than my 10 years old 997.2GT3RS, but I will prefer my RS all day long.  The reward is not the actually track time, but how I can control my car to try to keep up.  You will know what I mean.

Does anyone have statistics on 991.2GT3 manual vs PDK built?  will be interesting to learn what the drivers' preference is.

--

Tim

2010 997.2 GT3RS;  2008 Cayenne Turbo;  2006 911 Club Coupe;  2016 911 GTS Club Coupe;  2015 Macan S;  2019 Speedster

Targa Tim:

Well Nick, choice of transmission just a personal preference, totally subjective, will never have a right or wrong answer.

992 base Carrera PDK will be much faster and easier to drive on track than my 10 years old 997.2GT3RS, but I will prefer my RS all day long.  The reward is not the actually track time, but how I can control my car to try to keep up.  You will know what I mean.

Does anyone have statistics on 991.2GT3 manual vs PDK built?  will be interesting to learn what the drivers' preference is.

depends if you are talking about North America only or rest of the world included?

North America is almost 50/50, rest of the world is more like a 30 manual /70 pdk

if you remove the touring option, then the wingy GT3 in manual is much lower ration. there is over 7,000 cars in the wild.

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

Enmanuel:

My thoughts exactly Enmanuel, wouldn't of thought so on paper but it came out so good in real life, fits the speedster so well while being quite unique. Congrats SSO, well done wink

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Whoopsy:
    Grant:
    Whoopsy:
    unotaz:
    Whoopsy:

I think the situation is unique to the Speedster. I had a 991 GT3 manual, and it isn't like this. 

Nick, I could not written it any better. Smiley

Buying a 21st century car for hundreds of thousands of dollars and handcuffing it with late 18th century technology is beyond my comprehension. Porsche GT department must shake their heads in wonderment how they can sell such a car. But if there is money to be made, Porsche will take the opportunity even if it meant providing asbestos lined shoes so owners can drag their feet to stop the car. Smiley

--

When you're going through hell.....keep going.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688601 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408718 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255524 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234792 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65396 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4636 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857586 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773395 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM