Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: New RT member - McLaren 650s spider

hunterone:

Congrats. Best choice - get some Trofeo Rs and give it a blast.

Yeah, they're great for public roads in Germany... Smiley Not! Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Gnil:

Congratulations . I love that car !

One day, I could also  have a McLaren ....kiss

No, no...you want to say "One day, I will also have a McLaren..." Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Wow RC you've driven the Trofeos or not on day to day basis ? I drive it till 5k km on my 12C and i can not complain. Plz don't give your comments when you've no clue.

hunterone:

Wow RC you've driven the Trofeos or not on day to day basis ? I drive it till 5k km on my 12C and i can not complain. Plz don't give your comments when you've no clue.

The Trofeo is a horrible tire when the temperature isn't right, it needs around 70-80°C (tire tread temperature) to be sticky, otherwise you cannot really use it's potential. On some cars, it also needs a proper chassis alignment to gain the maximum performance.

How you want to achieve that (tread temperature) with the typical Middle European temperatures of around 15-18°C in spring or autumn is a mystery to me.  Smiley Even on the track, you need to play with tire pressures to achieve that needed tread temperature but for public roads? Impossible.

Also, in the wet, the Trofeo needs...take a deep breath...10(!) meters longer to brake from 100 kph to 0 kph compared to the normal Pirelli PZero road tire. Yeah...really a good daily driver tire in Middle Europe where we don't have rain at all. Smiley

Last but not least, on normal roads, the Trofeo lasts maybe half the lifetime of a normal road tire and the Trofeo isn't exactly cheap.

So you seem to have a wonder tire there...congratulations. Smiley

Btw: CR drove over 50k(!) km with a Trofeo R in his 458 Spider...I think we know this tire pretty well.

I guess you read the part that I do not recommend semi-slicks for normal road driving, did you?! Smiley

--

ive driven it at the Scuderia S7 event this year at the NBR and the weather was horrible. Wet, 2-4 degrees little bit of snowing also and as i said before i cant complain. Shure in this conditions the grip isnt overhelming but in this conditions you need take care with all tyres not only the semis.

You talk like the tire is undriveable but thats not true.

Btw. youre not the instance here what is driveable and what is not driveable. You can only tell your experience not more not less so dont behave like "god"

hunterone:

ive driven it at the Scuderia S7 event this year at the NBR and the weather was horrible. Wet, little bit of snowing also and as i said before i cant complain. Shure in this conditions the grip isnt overhelming but in this conditions you need take care with all tyres not only the semis.

You talk like the tire is undriveable but thats not true.

I never said it is undriveable but 10 meters from 100 to 0 kph in braking on wet roads means the difference between life and death. Also, aquaplaning is similar bad...if I remember correctly, 10-15 kph less with the Trofeo R.
    This is not a tire for public roads. I would choose the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 instead if you insist on a semi-slick (not sure if available for the McLaren though).

Overall, if you don't track race your car, the PZero is the best overall tire for many sports car brands. Others love the Michelin Super Sport but I'm not a fan, I like the PZero more because the transition to sliding is smoother in my opinion, even if the Michelin may hold it's grip a tiny bit longer.

--

The P Zero is an day to day tire but imho when you drive a car like 12C, 650S it is inadequate. Drove 12k km with MPSC2 and i liked it. Imho the best compromise performance - daily usability. And the Trofeo R is one step further on dry grip, temperature stability, etc.

But with all the tires you need to take care when its raining.

hunterone:

The P Zero is an day to day tire but imho when you drive a car like 12C, 650S it is inadequate. Drove 12k km with MPSC2 and i liked it. Imho the best compromise performance - daily usability. And the Trofeo R is one step further on dry grip, temperature stability, etc.

You really want to tell me that the Trofeo R is better on public roads than a PZero? When, in summer with temps over 25-30°C??? If you are lucky? Smiley A bit of dust or some leaves on the road and they get slippery as hell.

But with all the tires you need to take care when its raining.

Normal road tires are usually easily controllable in rain, even if they loose traction suddenly.

--

Getting back to Aldo's news..... (puts on moderator's hat).... great news and we look forward to your driving / owning impressions as you put on more km.  We seem to have a slowly growing McLaren owners contingent these days. kiss

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

RC:
    hunterone:

The Trofeo is a horrible tire when the temperature isn't right, it needs around 70-80°C (tire tread temperature) to be sticky, otherwise you cannot really use it's potential. On some cars, it also needs a proper chassis alignment to gain the maximum performance.

How you want to achieve that (tread temperature) with the typical Middle European temperatures of around 15-18°C in spring or autumn is a mystery to me.  Smiley Even on the track, you need to play with tire pressures to achieve that needed tread temperature but for public roads? Impossible.

Also, in the wet, the Trofeo needs...take a deep breath...10(!) meters longer to brake from 100 kph to 0 kph compared to the normal Pirelli PZero road tire. Yeah...really a good daily driver tire in Middle Europe where we don't have rain at all. Smiley

Last but not least, on normal roads, the Trofeo lasts maybe half the lifetime of a normal road tire and the Trofeo isn't exactly cheap.

So you seem to have a wonder tire there...congratulations. Smiley

Btw: CR drove over 50k(!) km with a Trofeo R in his 458 Spider...I think we know this tire pretty well.

I guess you read the part that I do not recommend semi-slicks for normal road driving, did you?! Smiley

--

After i got the 650S I had burned out my stock Corsa quite quickly, and realized Corsa for Mclaren is not really suitable for track driving at all... temp gets up to 60-70degree and looses its regidity and wears out soo fast... can't even do 5 laps without a break for the tire....  so got the Trofeo R and its like a different world set for 650S, but on regular mountain road driving its very scary and especially in wet.  So i had to get another set in cup2 for regular driving in mountains and leaving that Trefeo R use on track days.....  just burn ur corsa quickly and then prepare for a different character for the car after u slip on cup2 (K spec.) or Trofeo R..........  after this 650S I don't know whatelse is good in the market to buy after this.... so been keeping this car for 2 years now....  nothing beats this machine, including GT3RS.  I sold my GT3RS soon after I got it, because the price is very good, and its not as fast as 650S on mountain roads.  I am sure after you get use to the 650S behavior u will come to sense that GT3RS isn't faster.  GT3RS would be faster if driven by a very good professional driver, but with me not a good driver, I can push a better timing than GT3RS on the same track..... so better sell ur GT3RS while the price is still good....  Congrads and very very good choice!!!  get ur computer upgraded for the latest break-steer program, now its much neutral than before.... 

RC:
    Gnil:

No no,,, he should say - "One day, I will own a bloody McLaren" Smiley.

Haha, you guys are never happy with your rides, bit like guys with their women Smiley Smiley..

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

throt:
    RC:
    Gnil:

Haha, you guys are never happy with your rides, bit like guys with their women Smiley Smiley..

Smiley...however...I am happy with my woman...soon celebrating our 25th anniversary. 

Haven't found my car love though yet...maybe the R8?! Smiley

--

I will pick up the car Saturday. I hope so. Right now I am in Croatia managing my real estate project here. Then I will post more pictures and after that more impressions.

@huangester I know that for me the 650s is faster, offers more, at the same time comfort and track capabilities. This either open or closed. For me the best car I can afford. What's up with the upgrade you mentioned?

--

AM

Awesone, congrats. A great machine kiss

ALDO:

I will pick up the car Saturday. I hope so. Right now I am in Croatia managing my real estate project here. Then I will post more pictures and after that more impressions.

@huangester I know that for me the 650s is faster, offers more, at the same time comfort and track capabilities. This either open or closed. For me the best car I can afford. What's up with the upgrade you mentioned?

McLaren offers from time to time some nice software updates for their cars, improving performance and/or driving behavior. I wish other car manufacturers would do the same. Remember that free power upgrade for the 12C? Amazing!

I agree with what Huangester said. Get the Sport Cup 2 for road driving and (very) occasional track driving and if you are on the track often, get the Trofeo R, maybe on a separate wheel set. Makes a lot of sense.

--

RC:
    throt:
    RC:
    Gnil:

Smiley...however...I am happy with my woman...soon celebrating our 25th anniversary. 

Haven't found my car love though y.maybe the R8?! Smiley

Congrats on your 25th Smiley..

"""maybe!'', you make sure you see this lease out otherwise the Mrs will give you a little slap,,,, and us lot too Smiley...

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

RC:
    ALDO:

McLaren offers from time to time some nice software updates for their cars, improving performance and/or driving behavior. I wish other car manufacturers would do the same. Remember that free power upgrade for the 12C? Amazing!

I agree with what Huangester said. Get the Sport Cup 2 for road driving and (very) occasional track driving and if you are on the track often, get the Trofeo R, maybe on a separate wheel set. Makes a lot of sense.

The upgrade is base on the 2015 car with more "loose" back end on the break-steer program.  The 2016 program allowed more freedom on the throttle once its over steered.  the front still bite hard on the direction corner you are heading in, feels a lot more neutral, but while more over-steer handfeel.....  if your car is 2016 then its ok, it already comes with the latest upgrade.  you should however check if your version is the latest one though.  I think with many other manufactures now these days all comes with free on these programable upgrades.   put the car on track as often you can and get the use of the McLaren handle, its very different than Porsche, for me, normal driver, better car and less effort to push for better timing.....  

Porsche does software upgrades all the time but you cannot just "request" them to your liking, they are just applied if you encounter a serious problem, which is quite annoying.

I have told my dealer that the car could use a PDK software update (from standstill, it doesn't start off instantly but slowly for the first second, sounds like letting the clutch slip for too long. According to my Porsche sources, this has been implemented for comfort reasons but I don't like it and I couldn't care less about comfort. There is apparently a more aggressive PDK software but it is impossible to put my hands on. I will try again but it gets annoying...knowing that the software exists but Porsche (or my dealer...) doesn't seem to care. yes

McLaren seems to have a more customer friendly approach here, will is commendable. kiss

--

Looks great in and out, congrats.

--

J.Seven

So tomorrow at 14h after Brexit or not - I will pick up my car. The dealer has got the registration plates today, he managed to replace the mirror from white to carbon and to install the sport exhaust. The only thing which is missing are the carbon side intakes, they are ordered but not delivered.

I will make some fotos and start a new thread. 

I'm so excited, and I just can't hide it
    I'm about to lose control and I think I like it

--

AM

ALDO:

So tomorrow at 14h after Brexit or not - I will pick up my car. The dealer has got the registration plates today, he managed to replace the mirror from white to carbon and to install the sport exhaust. The only thing which is missing are the carbon side intakes, they are ordered but not delivered.

Smiley Smiley Smiley

Can't wait to see the photos and read about your experience. Smiley

--

ALDO:

You should write a song about that.  Smiley

--

fritz

fritz:
    ALDO:

I would like to point out that this would be a job for his sisters... Smiley Smiley

--

RC:
    fritz:
    ALDO:

I would like to point out that this would be a job for his sisters... Smiley Smiley

OK, so they need to buy a McLaren too.   Smiley

--

fritz

RC:
    fritz:
    ALDO:

You have pointed it good to my sisters 😂😂

--

AM

--

1466951996716image.jpeg

--

AM

ALDO:

1466951996716image.jpeg

Nice line-up.  Smiley

--

fritz

Fantastic Aldo, congrats! Looking forward to seeing the pics & report. In the mean time, keep on singing those songs! 😉
    --

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

NICE!!!  start driving and put it on the track! please do write up how u feel about the car, and the differences between GT3RS.  I wanted to know if I am the only weirdo on this block.....  

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763060 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435686 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260691 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257683 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80988 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5323 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872583 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808025 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM