Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Boxster S (987) - Rennteam's Short Review

First we have to apologize for the short review but our plans were to take out the Boxster S for a very fast ride but unfortunetely the weather in Germany didn't permit it. We apologize!

I saw the new 987 for the first time many many months ago on an unofficial factory picture, so the final product wasn't a surprise. But picture don't tell the whole story, in reality, the new 987 looks very nice and it is a perfect evolution of the successful 986 with a touch of Carrera GT style. Compared to the declared competitors of the 987, the new Mercedes SLK and the BMW Z4, the Boxster actually makes a pretty good addition to the Roadster world and definetely looks much more attractive than the SLK. The BMW Z4 is a different story, people either hate it or love it.

Viewed next to a 986, the 987 looks not much different, especially from the rear. The new front is actually the best side of the 987, the 986 looks pretty much outdated if you compare both cars side to side. Overall, most people would probably have a problem to seperate both cars one from each other but the line flow of the 987 design is definetely almost perfect and the interior is completely different story because it reached new heights.

Design: Almost perfect, only the double exhaust pipes look cheap and most customers would expect something round, something larger in diameter, definetely not this and Tequipment/Exclusive will surely take care of it sooner or later. The front lights have been finally "simplified", the 986 design always reminded of the first 996 series and this wasn't Porsche's masterpiece regarding looks.
    The Boxster S we testdrove had 19'' wheels with summer tires (Michelin Pilot Sport N1), PASM, Chrono Sport package, sport seats, full leather.

Drive "feel": It is no surprise that the interior feels a little smaller compared to the 997 but it is a surprise that the steering felt a little bit more direct at the beginning, even if it isn't. The 987 actually uses the same steering with variable steering ratio like the 997 but apparently Porsche decided to slightly change the setup and made the steering wheel turn in the middle position a little bit less easier than it was the case on the 997 Carrera S we testdrove. It could be also possible, that the steering feels different because of the smaller front tire setup, the front suspension setup and the track.

The 997 Carrera S steering definetely feels a little bit more nervous when driving fast curves, especially with the 20 mm chassis option. Due to the bad weather conditions, we weren't able to drive the car at the limit but even with summer tires at around 5-6*C outside temperature and partially wet and even icey streets, the Boxster S felt rock solid and never showed traction problems, despite the fact that the car was brandnew and of course the tires weren't run in yet.
    The PSM jumped in very late once or twice but only when the street was pretty wet and the car was under full acceleration.
    With Chrono Sport turned on, the PSM didn't come on at all but the weather conditions didn't permit it to go to the limit, for the sake of the car and the driver.
    And Chrono Sport also had a suprise for us: the throttle response was almost the same, with Chrono Sport turned off and turned on. It is definetely a different setup compared to the 997 Carrera S but the advantage of the Chrono Sport package actually lies with the modified PSM setup and not only with throttle response. Judging from the throttle response only, the Chrono Sport would be a "no go" on the Boxster S but of course there is more to it.

PASM is a great thing to have on the Boxster, especially if you live in an area with bad streets. Even on good streets it makes immediately a difference by the push of a button.
    Unfortunately we didn't have a car without PASM for comparison testing but if you want comfort and stiffness, PASM is the way to go.

Engine: 280 HP sound like fun but they actually were a little bit of a disappointment. Of course the Boxster S we testdrove was brandnew and the engine just has to be set "free" but it definetely felt less powerful than the 997 Carrera (not S) engine. The engine revs freely up to over 7200 rpm without hesitation but the ultimate "kick" is missing. And over 5000 rpm, the engine sounds very good but not even close to the incredible "resonator" sound of the 997 Carrera S. We enjoyed a lof the nice and throaty sound in the mid revv range but although the 987 has a soft top, the engine sound is less loud compared to the 997 Carrera S.
    Furthermore, there is that typical Boxster "turbine" sound which can be heard together with the throaty roar, some people might not like it. And even if the overall sound is really nice, it sounds less race car like compared to the high pitch throaty roar of the Carrera S over 5000 rpm. This is actually an interesting thing: if Porsche ever offers a sport exhaust for the Boxster S, it will probably produce more sound at higher rev figures. And a 997 Carrera S sport exhaust will probably produce a throatier sound in the mid range rev figures.
    Overall, the 987 S engine/exhaust sound is sporty but we think that the 550 Anniv. Edition Boxster sounded a little bit sportier, especially in the higher rev band.
    Torque feel is good, the Boxster S engine feels more torque oriented than the 997 Carrera S engine.
    The top speed we achieved was 244 kph (153 mph) due to weather and traffic conditions but there is no doubt that the Boxster S runs the promised top speed. At that speed, the Boxster S felt rock solid, even in a wide Autobahn curve. PASM was active most of the time of our review.

Gearbox/Clutch: The new gearbox is a very pleasant surprise, it shifts very easy and precise and it feels easier to operate than the Carrera S gearbox. The clutch feels completely different compared to the Carrera S. While some people might have difficulties with the Carrera S clutch feel and operation, the Boxster S clutch feels like the clutch in a Volkswagen Golf, easy to operate without the need of a sensitive clutch foot. Because of our very good experience with the short shifter option on the Carrera S, we can imagine that a short shifter would be a very nice option for the Boxster S too.

Brake: The brake works very nice, no problems at all. Of course we weren't able to check it under extreme driving conditions but brake feel is good and we didn't encounter any problem.

Seats: The new sport seats are worth their money. For people who don't want to spend much money on the adaptive sports seats, the sport seats are highly recommended. They're definetely much better than the optional sports seats on the 986, in our opinion a MUST HAVE option for the Boxster. They provide a better side grip and are similar to the adaptive sport seats up to a certain point. For somebody who isn't too fat or thin, the perfect solution.

Interior: With the 987 interior, a new level of build quality has been achieved. It reminds us a lot of the 997 interior, something very pleasing for 987 owners but maybe not so pleasing for 997 owners and with full leather and an open top, the 987 looks absolutely great.
    Even without the full leather option, the interior looks great but we do not recommend to go for light interior colours without full leather.
    The oval air vents look somehow strange because in our opinion, they do not match perfectly with the speedo cluster. We also would have loved to see an oil temperature gauge, maybe even optional.
    The reviewed car didn't have any strange squeaking or rattle noises, the quality impression was very good.

Conclusion: The new Boxster S is a huge improvement compared to the old one but we would have expected a little bit more power. A fully specced already enters 997 Carrera price regions and if power is more important than an open top, the 997 Carrera is the better choice.
    Judging by the drive feel, the Boxster S would easily be good for at least 30 HP more.
    Is it worth to exchange a 986 for a 987? Definetely yes, even more than moving up from a 996 to a 997. Especially the 986 front part makes the Boxster look outdated and nobody really liked the "sunny side up egg" design of the 986. But the new 987 also shows where Porsche sees the future of the 987: clearly below the 911 as an entry level Porsche. The 987 is fun to drive and the fabulous suspension/steering setup makes it a little racer on those little country road. It is a very fast car and the Boxster S is as fast as a 993 now from 0-125 mph. But don't expect a camouflaged race car, it has a different soul than the 911.

Final note regarding options and colours: if possible, go for the Boxster S and not the standard Boxster. Almost every option can be retrofitted (not full leather!), buying a "naked" Boxster S makes more sense than buying a fully loaded Boxster. The 280 HP engine is the MINIMUM power source for the new Boxster, the chassis could easily take more and it feels like that. We just don't want people to get frustrated with the 240 HP setup.
    And if money is an issue, go for a Boxster S with black interior, sport seats and without PASM. This should provide a very nice setup for sporty driving. It just doesn't make sense to go for 240 HP and then add 19'' wheels, PASM, Chrono Sport or even the PCCB brake. And save some money for a nice sport exhaust because although the Boxster S has a nice roar, it definetely isn't what we expected.

Enjoy the pictures and don't hesitate to ask questions, we might not have been able to tell all details.

Re: Boxster S (987) - Rennteam's Short Review

Weather conditions didn't permit much more most of the time...

Very 997-like...

The 987 looks best with open top...

Beautiful.

Closed top...it was freezing cold during the review.

Full leather interior looks great...

Different interior view...

Rear luggage room...

Wow, fantastic review and pictures RC . I appreciate all your hard work.

The car looks absolutely stunning in those pics, the color especially in that first pic. The front looks great and as you said, makes the 986 look very dated indeed. A perfect evolution of the Boxster design, in my view.

Good work RC! Thanks for the great pics and nice writeup. It's a shame the throttle remapping didn't make that much of a "noticable" difference.

I do disagree with your assessment of the regular (non-S) 987. 240hp is fine for most people. Remember, the 2000-2002 Boxster S only had 250hp. Yes, a regular 987 will feel underpowered compared to a new SLK350, but it also didn't cost as much, and it is a Porsche with much better handling.

Personally, I'd get the S, since I love power (and currently own an S), but with the right driver, a base Boxster can keep up with a Boxster S.

Thanks for the report and the time spent .

Thanks RC

Excellent write up...as usual, thanks a lot. I could be tempted, but with a 5 months babyboy in the family there will not be a "new" Boxster in the house. I am starting to be annoyed everytime I have to drive the diesel daily driver just because I cannot get both the baby and my girlfriend into the Boxster. At the same time I just simply love the 997 look and cannot get myself to spend money on a 996 - well I could easily but it would again be something like a GT3 and then I have the same problem.

All arguments are pointing towards 997S

As per usual, good right-up RC.

Perfect pictures as well!!!! Just changed my order to pretty much exactly that spec and very happy I did!!! Looks great!!!

Good report.

I took the chance yesterday and drove first the new Boxster and then the old one.

The difference between the two cars was incredible. The new one offers more sound, more power and the better suspension.

The old one had 16'' winter-tires on it, but the traction was less than the new Boxster with summer-tires. The psm reacts in curves all the time.

But don't make the mistake and compare the Boxster to a 997.
    The Boxster is and will be the "little one" .

Please compare the Boxster with a BMW Z4 and the BoxsterS with a SLK 350. These are their competitors.

The best joice is a 997 for sporty driving , a boxster fur summerfeeling and a cayenne for traveling

Very nice pic KF!
    And thanks RC for the report, as always, excellent!

RC I don't understand a thing

From RC review, in the conclusions I didn't understand if you suggest or not for sporty driving to take the Boxster S with or without PASM.
    18 or 19 wheels with or without PASM??
    I understood NO sport chrono package (not same advantages as in 997 Carrera/S)
    Another question: is better Sport Seats for lateral support or adaptive sport seats????

thanks RC

a meaningful read and interesting pics!

Many Thanks RC...

Great report and pics as always..

Woshhhhh..

thanks RC, finally a review written with an open mind...

With the weather conditions and newness of the car, it still doesn't tell us the full cabilities of the Boxster S.

Re: RC I don't understand a thing

Quote:
    andrea said:
    From RC review, in the conclusions I didn't understand if you suggest or not for sporty driving to take the Boxster S with or without PASM.
    18 or 19 wheels with or without PASM??
    I understood NO sport chrono package (not same advantages as in 997 Carrera/S)
    Another question: is better Sport Seats for lateral support or adaptive sport seats????

It is actually more simple than you think: if money is no real issue, go for a Boxster S with PASM, adaptive sport seats, 19'' wheels and chrono sport (this isn't only about throttle response, remember?). Even add the PCCB brake if you wish to. If money is an issue and people prefer to order a fully loaded Boxster instead of the "S", I'd recommend to order a Boxster S in standard configuration with the sport seats and chrono sport. Maybe PASM too if the streets in your region are very bad. Nothing more. And people should go for dark interior colours if they don't want to order full leather. Light coloured interiors don't look good without full leather, especially when the roof is open and the light shines in, showing all little details of the interior.

But of course people shouldn't forget that I wrote this short review as Editor of Rennteam.com and 997 Carrera S driver. I'm pretty sure that some people would be happy with the standard Boxster (not "S") too because they prefer to enjoy this car in a different way. So please take my words with a little bit of caution, I might look for something different in cars than other people.

Quote:
    Eurospeed said:
    With the weather conditions and newness of the car, it still doesn't tell us the full cabilities of the Boxster S.

This is one reason why our short review might not sound too enthusiastic. But I'm pretty sure the new Boxster is capable of a miraculous performance, we just weren't able to really try it. One thing has been already said though: this is no 911 and it doesn't feel much lighter than a 911.
    In the right hands however, I think a Boxster S would be capable to keep up with the 997 Carrera on twisty roads. As soon as the weather permits (minimum 15*C outside temperature and dry streets), we'll try again. But it make take a while, winter time just started over here in Bavaria.

Awesome pictures guys really enjoyed the black boxster

Quote:
    This is one reason why our short review might not sound too enthusiastic. But I'm pretty sure the new Boxster is capable of a miraculous performance, we just weren't able to really try it. One thing has been already said though: this is no 911 and it doesn't feel much lighter than a 911.
    In the right hands however, I think a Boxster S would be capable to keep up with the 997 Carrera on twisty roads. As soon as the weather permits (minimum 15*C outside temperature and dry streets), we'll try again. But it make take a while, winter time just started over here in Bavaria.

Hey RC, I didn't realized you responded to my post. All the above comments are within reason and sound dead on. Thanks for the write up. Looking forward to the follow up.

wasnt the light of the 996 copied from the 986 not the other way around as you state

Wow RS, nice write-up and great pics! Thank you. I just came to this site for the first time today (linked from Rennlist) and I must say it is great too. It's very nice to see all your great detail photos so far ahead of time for us (We are right into the Canadian winter now and I was at the dealer yesterday picking up some parts and they don't have a 987 yet).

You can see the increase of quality in the interiors.

Thanks for your review on the new Boxster, I spent most of Saturday checking out the new ones just delivered to the dealer. My quesiton is:??? If you buy the Boxster S what will I lose if I choose one without the PASM and Sport Chrono. They have one at the dealer, Artic Silver, black interior, 19" wheels, PCM with NAV and Bi-Xenon Lights. Should I wait and order with PASM and Chrono or take the dealer model for immediate gratification??

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777408 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441767 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262803 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260999 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85270 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5592 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880677 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816046 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM