Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: UPDATE

Skip,

as you know, my module was replaced last tusday and i drove the car on wed without problems. on wed night i parked the car and when i started it back up this morning (monday) all the errors are back! no my trun signals don't work and the headlights are always high-beam.

i called the dealership and they are now talking to PCNA.

i am 2 (two) repair attempts down, 2 to go (california lemon law) - i am so ready to give this car back.

not only do i find it unaceptable that a car of that "class?" has any issue to begin with, i find it even more disturbing that PAG is not ontop of it.

-r

Quote:
    ossi said:
    and the headlights are always high-beam.

-r

Ossi,

not to make light of a difficult situation, but you could tell them that this car is dangerous. After all, you could get shot at, driving around LA with the high-beam on all the time.

Hi Skip,

Thanks for your reply. My car was not a launch car. I ordered it and I got it at end of Oct. Well, just to clarify, my power seats are working ok, only the memory functions (button 1-3) are not remembering the position that I set. Anyway, the front control module and hood latch are here, so I am going to have them installed probably Thursday.

ossi, I wish I could say something positive to give you hope, but I'm not convinced that PAG, PCNA, etc. know how to fix these cars. I don't know if cars can be haunted, but at least some of the 997s seem to be from hell.

musclepwr99, good luck. Those units didn't fix my car, which baffles me to no end.

Ossi,

Did you wash your car like you mentioned earlier after the module being installed before the warning light came again? I think you need to replace both the hood latch and the control module at the same time to fix the problem!? Both of my parts are here. I am going to have the dealer installed them.

Thanks.

i didn't wash the car, sorry, should have mentioned it. i basically didn't touch it, the system faults came back without me doing anything.

they will replace the latch on thursday. this will be my 3rd repair attempt to go on record. after that, one more and i will kiss that baby goodby.

i thought alot about the whole situation. first i didn't know what to make of it, but now i know exactly why i am so upset. i consider this fraud! porsche took my money for something that was not what they claimed it would be. now, they don't even make the effort to get ontop of this. as we all know, there are at least 4 people on this forum who have the exact same issue, yet, there is no official porsche info available to the dealers on what the cause is and how to fix this.

this is the worst ownership experience i ever had. being a native german, i am ashamed how porsche handles this.

at this point, i don't even want the car anymore, i can't wait for the day i will get rid of it. i hate this car.

all these trips to the dealership cost time and brain cells. i don't have time for the crap. a porsche broshure should state what one signs up for when buing one of their products.

j, i am steaming...

-r

ps: thank god for this forum, otherwise my wife or my dog would have to take it from me...

lemon it

Quote:
    Moogle said:
    lemon it

thats the plan. i just need one more repair attempt - California the lemon law needs 4 attempts or 30days in shop.

speaking of which, does anyone here have experienec with the lemon process? any insights? is this something that usually requires a lawyer? how long is the process typically?

-r

Ossi,

So sorry to hear about your horrible experience. Good luck lemoning the car. Good luck in the future...hopefully there will be a perfect 997S in your future...

Quote:
    ossi said:
    Quote:
    Moogle said:
    lemon it

thats the plan. i just need one more repair attempt - California the lemon law needs 4 attempts or 30days in shop.

speaking of which, does anyone here have experienec with the lemon process? any insights? is this something that usually requires a lawyer? how long is the process typically?

-r

Google that one. I'm sure everything you need to make lemonade is on the net........

Quote:
    ossi said:
    i parked the car and when i started it back up this morning (monday) all the errors are back!

Oh ****!!!!! Man, you just got thru to me. I think if that happened to me a certain number of times (three or four?) I would go $%^&ing nuts!

so sorry to hear your troubles; if the stupid thing was a furnace or a golf cart I could tolerate it.

FWIW.

SKIP, OSSI, MUSCLEPWR99
    Are there any similarities in your cars in terms of equipment? I was just wondering if there is some common thread among these cars, other than the obvious one of this horrible recurring fault!

I picked up my 997S on October 28th. I have driven it about 600 miles. I was away for a week and have been home sick with a really nasty cold and sinus infection for a week. After reading about your problems I am worried that this issue could rear its ugly head the next time I start my car, or the next time after that, etc. It is very disquieting.

I hope each of you gets your refund with an absolute minimum of hassles from this point on. It is very disappointing that P AG is not doing more to resolve the problem and to smooth the way for those so far affected.

It is good of you all to keep the rest of us informed, as painful as I am sure that must be. My thoughts are with you guys.

I am wondering if listing the last 4 digits of the serial numbers would find a grouping of cars that were made the same day or if a combination of options would shed some light on the problem. My 997 S is #0812 and is without any problems so far, and I have washed it several times and driven in rain and opened the front trunk. Hopefully tomorrow won't find a fault. Bill

DD694,

My car is a base 997 which has the following options: power seats, xenon lights, 19" carrera S wheels, floor mats, and color crest wheel caps.

My 997S built on Sept 17th (dealer's information to me) or 22nd (on Certificate of Authenticity) has last four digits of VIN as -0921.
    Eng. No. last 4 digits -3168
    Trans. No. last 4 digits -5649
    Optional Equipment:
    Seal Grey Metallic Exterior
    Sand Beige Full Leather Interior
    Adaptive Sport Seats, Leather
    Heated Front Seats
    Sport Chrono Package Plus
    Navigation for PCM
    Bose High End Sound Package
    Remote CD Changer (6 Disc)
    Self-Dimming Mirrors
    Wheel Caps with Colored Crest
    Sand Beige Floor Mats

With less than 600 miles on the ODO to date, I am reluctant to put much stress on any of the minor faults I have found - slightly hard shifting from 1st to 2nd when cold, a minor rattle on passenger side that seems to becoming less evident (or I am getting used to it), an occasional minor(?) knock on left rear around suspension area at low speed.

Touch wood - everything else seems to work as it should. My knuckles are now white, whenever starting or driving, however.

mine is a manual 997S, #0606, options:

power seats
    nav
    cd-changer
    bose

FWIW,
    -r

Quote:
    ossi said:
    i didn't wash the car, sorry, should have mentioned it. i basically didn't touch it, the system faults came back without me doing anything.

they will replace the latch on thursday. this will be my 3rd repair attempt to go on record. after that, one more and i will kiss that baby goodby.

i thought alot about the whole situation. first i didn't know what to make of it, but now i know exactly why i am so upset. i consider this fraud! porsche took my money for something that was not what they claimed it would be. now, they don't even make the effort to get ontop of this. as we all know, there are at least 4 people on this forum who have the exact same issue, yet, there is no official porsche info available to the dealers on what the cause is and how to fix this.

this is the worst ownership experience i ever had. being a native german, i am ashamed how porsche handles this.

at this point, i don't even want the car anymore, i can't wait for the day i will get rid of it. i hate this car.

all these trips to the dealership cost time and brain cells. i don't have time for the crap. a porsche broshure should state what one signs up for when buing one of their products.

j, i am steaming...

-r

ps: thank god for this forum, otherwise my wife or my dog would have to take it from me...

Of course, ossi, don't forget that if you do return the car, it'll get fixed one more time and then thrown on eBay as in "pristine conditiond, like new, and garage queen."

Quote:
    Rasta said:
    ...Of course, ossi, don't forget that if you do return the car, it'll get fixed one more time and then thrown on eBay as in "pristine conditiond, like new, and garage queen."

At least it will not have a clear title.

My VIN has 0318 as the last 4 digits, but I haven't found anything about the build date. It's a "launch" car, with full leather, adaptive sport seats, self dimming mirrors, heated seats, PCCB, sport chrono, nav, Bose, etc.

My car first showed problems on the 3rd day I had it, with only a few hundred miles on it. I thought that washing the car might be part of the problem, but at least twice it has system faulted without being washed, including the most recent time.

Build date (Mo & Yr) are on a sticker located on the drivers door

Re: 997S severe system failure!

Toughen up all cars have problems from time to time . DEAL WITH IT!

Re: 997S severe system failure!

Quote:
    Bad TT said:
    Toughen up all cars have problems from time to time . DEAL WITH IT!

i am sure, owning italian cars toughens one up pretty well. so i can see where you are coming from. i however, am a wimpy customer, expecting no failures from a 100k car, period. i worked hard for that money, i expected porsche worked hard as well. looks like they didn't when they build it, and it sure don't look like they work hard now, trying to solve the problem.

Update (repair attempt 3)!

guys, tonight i got my car back from another 2 days at the dealership. here is an update:

this time, they replaced not only the front-control module, but also the entire front latch mechanism (lid latch). when i picked up the car. they told me that they found another, very strange issue. the common ground, below the control module, had the retaining nut missing!?!?!?

when i went back home, i searched thru my pictures i took after the very first repair attempt (another dealership). these pictures clearly show that the nut was in place back then. so i think during one of the repairs, "someone" didn't tighten that nut, and i fall out? who knows... invisible german nuts...

so, this time ther are "very confident" that the issue is fixed. when i dropped off my car, a guy from PCNA what there and i had a chat. they claim that there is "something" in the front latch assembly that shorts out.

anyways, we will see how long it holds up this time. i will keep you posted.

as a sidenote: this time, i had a cayenne-s loaner. i had never driven one so this was quite interesting. the car had ~3k mls on it bute it was ratteling & squeaking like helle. i couldn't believe it. also, the automatic response when downshifting was veru strange. overall, i was not very impressed by the cayenne.

the good side of this however is: when i first got my 997S, i was not so happy about "some" rattles & sqeaks. while they still anoy me, after driving a vrand new cayenne, i must say, my 997 feels like carved from a solif piece of titanium.

i was so delighted to get back in the 997. the car, conceptually, is just the best i have ever driven, i guess i just got a lemon...

-r

Re: Update (repair attempt 3)!

I'm not sure you got a lemon, I think you just had bad luck.
    IF problems occur, they usually occur during the first 5000-10000 km. After that, you can stop worrying.
    The interesting part is that I asked a little bit around and it seems the 997 doesn't really have a "common" problem or issue. I suppose the manufacturing process is to blame for the first problems, not the car/development itself.
    I always recommend to wait at least one year with a buying decision when a new product shows up but to be honest, I always took the plunge and bought one of the first cars.

Regarding the Cayenne S loaner: I have no interior noises on my Cayenne Turbo but to be honest, I don't care too much. My little kids made a mess of the interior, I usually listen to music, so interior noises wouldn't really be an issue. But I agree regarding the shifting is pretty weird and the throttle hesitation too. I just hope Porsche comes up with a solution.
    Don't get me wrong, I don't want to find excuses for Porsche but I am a customer since 1996 and I learned so much about the cars, I really think that the quality level is at the highest level ever and it is better now than it is on Mercedes cars. We also own two AMG Mercedes and owned other models before, so I think I know what I'm talking about.

mercedes? quality? those two words only appeared in the same sentence with an expletive, since the early 90s.

RC,

this is getting a lite off-topic, but what the heck. i owned a X5 4.4 for almost 4 years and i must say that the build quality was exeptional. there where NO interior noises whatsoever. the automatic shifting was great too, great response, etc.

the X5 was one of the few SUV's i have ever driven so compared to the X5, the cayenne didn't realy impress me.

anyways, back to the 997, yeah, buying 1 year later, would be nice, buy this car makes me so emotional, i couldn't wait. and i guess its these emotions that cause a heart attack everytime i see "system failure, visit workshop".

we also own a VW golf, 2004 model, there are issues with it all the time, the VW service sucks, etc. but i don't care that much because to me the golf is a "disposable" car. with the 997, it's different. the heritage, and everything, just pushes expectations pretty high, the price does the rest. having failures of any sort are just not aceptable.

anyways, we will see if it is fixed now.
    -r

The X5 is a different beast, I wish Porsche would have taken the X5's throttle response and shifting behaviour as an example for the Cayenne.
    As I said, build quality on my Cayenne Turbo is exceptional.
    The Cayenne S loaner you had might have been a car from the first production year. But I also can't hide the feeling that the quality is sometimes "fluctuating", an indication that Porsche might not have all suppliers and employees under control. Maybe quality control has to be improved.

BTW: I had to close this thread because there are too many replies and even with a 3 Mbit DSL broadband access, the loading time was too long. If you or somebody else wants to add something to this thread, please open a new thread under the same thread name, maybe adding "part 2". Thanks for your understanding.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777045 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441647 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262752 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260916 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85169 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5551 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880618 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815833 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM