Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 992 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020)

bvineyards:

I wish it were offered in a manual.  

Even manually shifting the PDK, 2nd and 3rd shifts come very fast and its easy to run into the limiter; doubt most people could move a manual fast enough to do anything but look silly...Smiley

--

2017 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2019 Porsche 911 Turbo

4trac:
    bvineyards:

Even manually shifting the PDK, 2nd and 3rd shifts come very fast and its easy to run into the limiter; doubt most people could move a manual fast enough to do anything but look silly...Smiley

It's not about shifting fast or not anymore. Any version of PDK will shift faster than manual, and most automatic already do.

It's the fact that it has a clutch pedal and most think it's a manly thing to drive a car with a clutch pedal. 

They also wanted to 'feel' that they made a perfect shift. It's satisfying to them. 

--

Whoopsy:
    4trac:
    bvineyards:

It's not about shifting fast or not anymore. Any version of PDK will shift faster than manual, and most automatic already do.

It's the fact that it has a clutch pedal and most think it's a manly thing to drive a car with a clutch pedal. 

They also wanted to 'feel' that they made a perfect shift. It's satisfying to them. 

Smiley Or you can view it as a different form of masturbation. Smiley

--

When you're going through hell.....keep going.

nberry:
    Whoopsy:
    4trac:
    bvineyards:

Aren’t you clever.  You must plenty of admiring looks from the boys when you cruise by.  

nberry:
    Whoopsy:
    4trac:
    bvineyards:

As a manual turbo owner I must say it works for me and I have not gone blind. The orgasms are amazing. 

4trac:
    bvineyards:

The great drivers are easy to spot and the opposite is true as well it seems. 

nberry:

Says the guy who buys the Porsche with the biggest wing for showing off.

76E4BE10-7DE7-497E-909C-175E370E91B6.png

--

997.2 4S / BMW 745e / Donkervoort GT 

spudgun:
    nberry:

Says the guy who buys the Porsche with the biggest wing for showing off.

76E4BE10-7DE7-497E-909C-175E370E91B6.png

This makes no sense.Smiley

--

When you're going through hell.....keep going.

nberry:
    Whoopsy:
    4trac:
    bvineyards:

I didn't know Nick you have this funny side!!! Smiley

--

reginos:
    duccio:

I really like the design and the lines of the exterior, but unfortunately the interior is tremendous, I hoped that after publishing the 992 carrera they had understood that the gearshift is ugly ... we hope in the restyling ... in any case nice car

This optional aluminium gearstick looks like is an improvement IMO. Little taller and less plasticky.

iris.jpg

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

Looks like a Ford truck interior, awesomeSmiley

Leawood911:
    4trac:
    bvineyards:

The great drivers are easy to spot and the opposite is true as well it seems. 

...and the greatest drivers are presumably the pros, and they prefer... not manuals.  So we are back to the beginning.  I love manuals in slower cars... the more insane the power, the more I appreciate DSG style gear changing.  Its all good... well, except CVTs...Smiley

--

2017 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2019 Porsche 911 Turbo

I guess multiple-World Driving Champion Lewis Hamilton isn’t a great driver because, back in 2019, he wanted a return to naturally aspirated v12s and manual transmissions.

I could do three races in a row”: Hamilton wants F1 to be more challenging

2019 Canadian Grand Prix

Keith Collantine6th June 2019, 17:20

| Written by 

Lewis Hamilton has reiterated his call for Formula 1 to become much more physically challenging, saying he could do up to three races in a row.

The Mercedes driver was asked for his views on plans to overhaul the sport in 2021. He said he would prefer a return to “V12, naturally aspirated engines” with “manual gearboxes”, but was particularly concerned to see F1 become “harder for the drivers”.

“Take away all these big run-off areas that you have everywhere,” said Hamilton. “You should not have steering assist or even if you do you’ve got to have it low – I like having it low so it’s harder for me.

“You should be just so physically exhausted after the race, it should be exhausting like a marathon. I could probably do two or three races in a row and Formula 1 should not be like that.”

The five-times champion said the reduced physical challenge of the sport makes it easier for drivers to enter at a younger age and stay in the sport longer.

“It’s a man’s sport and a lot of youngsters come in and it’s quite easy for them to get straight into it. But I do think it should be the most physically challenging and probably why a lot of us drivers are able to go for a long period of time is because we can handle it.”

Hamilton also added: “We need better tyres.” However he said past changes to the regulations have not successfully addressed F1’s need to cut costs and deliver better entertainment.

“If you look over the last 12 years and beyond that they always shift and change the regulations for the car, try to improve costs, try to improve overtaking and I think in general the decision have not been great in all of those years.

“Liberty [Media] has taken over now and you still have the same issue: People are not so excited, we still have that separation between all the top wealthier teams and the lower teams.”

I know a couple of pros (not me 😜) and one prefers only manual with a clutch, the others love manual but without clutch. I fall into the last category myself, 99% of the time I drive my Lambo, I drive in manual mode, even on the Autobahn. Only thing which seems to be common to all pros I know: They do not like AWD. 🥺

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

AWD and auto gearbox looks very much like wifey car smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual, 991 GT3 2014(sold)

Cayenne GTS 2014

fat angel

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual, 991 GT3 2014(sold)

Cayenne GTS 2014

993 Turbo ❤️

--

2018 White 911 GT3

I've got an April build slot, yeah!

Anyone know about the sports chassis that lowers the chassis by 10mm? what are the benefits other than the centre of gravity is lowered, doesn't the sports plus setting adequately take care of the best suspension/balance for the track?

“Rendezvous in the Rain”

Frank-Steffen Walliser, Vice President Model Line 911/718, Porsche 935/78 Moby Dick, Porsche Experience Center, Hockenheim, 2020, Porsche AG

(13 March 2020)

Driving to a racetrack with Frank-Steffen Walliser is like releasing an animal back into the wild. That’s because he was responsible for GT racing at Porsche before becoming head of the 911 and 718 model lines in 2019.

The Stuttgart native did his internship, graduate studies, and doctorate with Porsche—he lives and breathes the brand and recognizes racetracks by their asphalt grain. Today’s destination is Hockenheim. Waiting in front of the Porsche Experience Center is “Moby Dick,” the 1978 turbo extremist in the 911 ranks.

Mr. Walliser, do you miss the command post at the racetrack?

Absolutely. My decision to go into motorsports was driven by a passion that sticks with you. I still get excited by it. Racing is very immediate and produces clear, indisputable results. But I’ve also taken on my new role with a great deal of focus. It’s every bit as challenging, if not more so. And my motorsport experience—the focused work toward very concrete objectives—is extremely helpful in monitoring the results in development.

What’s your connection to the Porsche 935/78, better known as Moby Dick?

It’s the brawniest version of the 935 and at its core still a 911—to my mind, an eternally fascinating race car. When we developed the new 935, presented in 2018 as a Clubsport car, we first set up a table and benches around Moby Dick and just soaked it up. Literal benchmarking, if you will.

During the drive, we also approach Moby Dick in terms of content. In 1978 this Porsche 935 represented the most freewheeling rendition of the endless story of the 911 and started in just four races. Its 3.2-liter six-cylinder was the first Porsche engine with a water-cooled, four-valve cylinder head, while the cylinders themselves were air-cooled. Two smaller turbochargers offered more immediate throttle response than predecessors with a single, large turbocharger. For conventional races, the charge-air-cooled boxer generated up to 621 kW (845 hp); for the marathon in Le Mans, it had to make do with a stately 750 horses. No other 911 variant has ever achieved such engine output. Competing in the Group 5 class at the time, a 911-series body was stripped of everything that the rules would allow. The engineers added a tubular aluminum space frame, over which they stretched an aerodynamically optimized bodyshell. Weighing in at just 1,025 kilograms, the GT race car topped out at 366 kilometers per hour in its only Le Mans appearance in 1978.

Porsche 935/78 Moby Dick, Porsche Experience Center, Hockenheim, 2020, Porsche AG

Do you still remember your first turbo experience?

Very vividly, in fact: in 2000 I had the pleasure of driving a 996-generation 911 Turbo over the weekend. My wife and I drove to Hamburg. On our return to Stuttgart, we had a tight schedule but almost no traffic in the early morning hours. Covering about seven hundred kilometers in five and a half hours was a memorable experience and one that, for me, is inextricably tied to the awesome power behind the word turbo.

What does the word turbo mean to you—head, heart, or gut instinct?

As an engineer, I primarily see the thermodynamic component with its task of using the energy from the exhaust gas. That’s a matter of the head. But the result and experience are emotional, involving the heart and the gut. The 911 Turbo combines the experience of primeval forces, dominance, and technical prowess.

“Feats of pioneering only emerge as such after some time.” Frank-Steffen Walliser, Vice President Model Line 911/718

What has Porsche learned from cars like Moby Dick?

We’ve repeatedly developed groundbreaking technologies for motorsports that we’ve then managed to adapt for use in road cars. Of all the innovations, the turbocharger has been the most impressive example. Still considered exotic racing technology when it was introduced, it quickly established itself as the standard across a wide range. From racetrack to road—it’s true technology development at Porsche.

Power, lower consumption, responsiveness: the turbocharger delivered what customers want. And the biggest takeaway from then still applies today: over 800 hp in a 911 is no problem. Its rear-engine design is the only concept in the world that offers optimal driving stability with so much thrust. The new Turbo with all-wheel drive pushes the 911 as a master of traction to a whole new level.

Having turbo and being a turbo—those are two different things at Porsche. Can you explain the nomenclature to us?

Today all new 911s, with the exception of the GT models, have turbochargers—as do almost all other Porsches. But not all of them carry this now practically indispensable technology in their names. At Porsche, turbo stands for the pinnacle, synonymous with the top model. Much like people think of Kleenex for facial tissues and Scotch tape for clear tape. That’s why this suffix also graces the top model of the exhaust-free Taycan.

With the new 3.8-liter boxer engine with two VTG turbochargers, the new 911 Turbo S develops 650 hp (911 Turbo S Coupé: Combined fuel consumption 11.1 l/100 km; combined CO2 emissions 254 g/km; 911 Turbo S Cabriolet: Combined fuel consumption 11.3 l/100 km; combined CO2emissions 257 g/km)—70 hp more than its predecessor. Was this biggest power leap in recent Porsche history necessary?

Superior performance is a central, traditional, and emotional standard that has always been the calling card of the 911 Turbo. The 991 set a new standard. From that elevated starting point, only a substantial step up would make an impression. You have to really feel the increased power. And we succeeded in that.

Frank-Steffen Walliser, Vice President Model Line 911/718, Porsche 935/78 Moby Dick, Porsche Experience Center, Hockenheim, 2020, Porsche AG

Lifetime love affair: When Porsche presented the first turbo in 1974, Frank-Steffen Walliser was just five years old. His favorite model car was the embodiment of the power of Porsche. The legendary Moby Dick became his turbo dream.

What was the foremost development objective?

Day-to-day usability, for sure. This quality distinguishes the 911 Turbo from all other high-performance sports cars. There are also winter tires for it, making it an eminently controllable all-year car for the long haul. At the same time—and this was the second development goal—it has to render you speechless from time to time. With a bevy of new features—the optional sports suspension and sports exhaust system, for instance—we’ve given the turbo even better performance.

Character question: in which direction is the pendulum swinging with the new 911 Turbo—more toward Gran Turismo or indeed more toward an uncompromising sports machine?

For me, it’s always a bit more in the direction of a driving machine. But this question stays with you throughout the entire development process; it’s something of a continuous tightrope act. We hammer away at it in discussions, tests, and fine-tuning over a period of two to three years. What degree of sportiness do we want to give it, and how much day-to-day usability do we want to retain? What sound underscores its character and what noise level do we find unpleasant over longer distances?

The clear positioning of the product in the end result is what distinguishes us. With the GT3, for example, the idea is “maximum sportiness with a bit of day-to-day usability.” With the turbo, high day-to-day usability is the technical program, its athletic road performance the free skate, so to speak.

What was the biggest challenge?

For the most part, it was precisely this balancing act. There was also the challenge of packing 650 hp into the relatively tight rear end and achieving stability under all conceivable conditions. The thermodynamics are complex. To boost the power, we used significantly larger turbochargers and had to reposition the corresponding charge-air coolers as a result.

On the autobahn, the view ahead is murky. Unceasing rain. A day in such a wet, gray haze was not on the agenda. And obviously not every road user handles the weather as confidently as Frank-Steffen Walliser. Signs mount of an impending traffic jam. Silence from the navi—the boss is in charge today.

Would you rate the new 911 Turbo as having a pioneering role?

Feats of pioneering only emerge as such after some time. But I’m certain that our advancements in the areas of turbo technology, all-wheel drive, integration of the PDK transmission, and systems for even greater vehicle control will give the new turbo a shot at rising into the ranks of the pioneers. The top-of-the-line 911 Turbo has historically proven to be an icebreaker for the viability of new technologies in production cars and offered a glimpse into the future of the next 911 generation. I would list turbocharging with a bypass valve, the charge-air cooling, ceramic brakes, variable turbine geometry (VTG), adaptive aerodynamics, and all-wheel steering among them.

Porsche 935/78 Moby Dick, Porsche Experience Center, Hockenheim, 2020, Porsche AG

Respect for the giants: Captain Ahab’s pursuit of the sperm whale Moby Dick is famed around the world. The 935/78 was equally fearsome for race-car drivers.

How did Porsche manage to master turbo lag?

In the beginning, that was entirely the driver’s responsibility. He had to estimate when to give it gas in a corner to get the delayed boost to accelerate out of the bend.

"The top-of-the-line 911 Turbo has historically proven to be an icebreaker for the viability of new technologies in production cars and offered a glimpse into the future of the next 911 generation." Frank-Steffen Walliser, Vice President Model Line 911/718

The technical milestones were the wastegate control, charge-air cooling, turbocharger dimensioning, and VTG. Variable turbine geometry for generating better aspect ratios in the turbocharger in gasoline engines remains a distinguishing feature of Porsche and one of the secrets to achieving good drivability. Further major advancements result from the engine electronics and the PDK transmission. Carefully balanced between sportiness and comfort, the driving programs of the automatic dual-clutch transmission without traction interruption play a major role in the car’s agility and responsiveness.

What does the turbocharger technology in Moby Dick still have in common with that of the new 911 Turbo?

They are both, by definition, turbochargers, but that’s about it. The responsiveness of a current turbo is beyond comparison with the early versions. Moby Dick was harder to drive, a monster with rudimentary wastegate-controlled turbochargers. The performance of the new 911 Turbo, by contrast, is highly accessible.

The Hockenheimring at last. The model-line vice president leaves the comfort of the cockpit without hesitation and rushes toward his dripping wet old love. Moby Dick and Walliser are undeterred by inclement weather. Two racers that can take the punishment.

Porsche Experience Center Hockenheimring: The seventh and newest of its kind. In Atlanta, Leipzig, Le Mans, Los Angeles, Silverstone, and Shanghai, Porsche offers its sporty customer base the opportunity to gain qualified experience.

How does the new 911 Turbo sound?

Absolutely thrilling! As soon as you start it the first time, it’s clear that you’re sitting in a 911—the typical sound of the six-cylinder, which is particularly striking with the optional sports exhaust system. And we made a very deliberate decision to allow the turbochargers to hiss a bit and whistle every now and then.

Do the latest turbochargers in the 992 mainly boost power or reduce consumption?

Both simultaneously. The new 911 Turbo boasts an exceptional range of capabilities, which also underscores its day-to-day usability. But when you dial up the maximum power potential, the two turbochargers force huge amounts of air into the combustion chambers.

Is the new tire temperature gauge a gimmick from your former line of work?

Its parentage goes back to the racetrack, but it’s far more than just a gimmick. Together with other systems, it enhances drivability, driving pleasure, and above all, safety. Depending on the selected tires as well as their pressure and temperature, the critical contact area is generally barely larger than the size of a hand. Until now, we weren’t satisfied with the precision of tire temperature gauges, because they weren’t able to take account of certain events, such as wheelspin, and could not provide important information quickly enough. For the new 911 Turbo, we decided to break ground on a completely new approach. In addition to pressure measurement, we also model the tire temperature using software and can now display the temperature with extreme precision. It’s a real benefit. We’re talking about a high-performance sports car with tires to match. But if the tires are too cold, they can’t do what the driver expects them to. That’s relevant information. So we place great importance on having useful indications of tire pressure, wet condition sensors, and tire temperature.

Honestly, now: will there one day be an even more powerful Porsche 911 Turbo with a combustion engine?

When a new model is finished, you stand there with sweat on your brow and think: this is the max. But as engineers we’re always on the lookout and constantly discover fresh potential for improvement. This has enabled us to continue to redefine the limits of what’s possible over the decades. I see no reason why that should stop.

SideKICK: The 935 today

Porsche 935, 2020, Porsche AG

Under the direction of Frank-Steffen Walliser, an homage to the legendary Porsche 935/78 Moby Dick took shape in 2018. Conceived as a Clubsport race car, the new 935 was subject neither to the constraints of homologation nor to the need for street-legal approval — a rare degree of freedom for the engineers. Based on the Porsche 911 GT2 RS, 991 generation, the new 935 features 515 kW (700 hp), an extended body, and numerous other design references to its famous predecessor of yore. Its birth was a gift to the sportiest fans of the brand to mark the anniversary of seventy years of Porsche sports cars. The limited run of seventy-seven units sold out immediately.

Link: https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/2020/company/porsche-frank-steffen-walliser-turbo-interview-moby-dick-20175.html

E0F26BDD-E91B-4EF4-964B-7C4204B9E420.gif  

ac34:

Anyone know about the sports chassis that lowers the chassis by 10mm? what are the benefits other than the centre of gravity is lowered, doesn't the sports plus setting adequately take care of the best suspension/balance for the track?

Don‘t be too excited yet...I heard some rumors today. 👀

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

I didn’t realize they already added tire temp technology!  That will be very helpful in the GT3/RS...

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

RC:
    ac34:

Don‘t be too excited yet...I heard some rumors today. 👀

Pray tell...

It’s the end of the world.  Zombies don’t build cars, the look for brains to eat.

Ferrari have shut, as have all Italian suppliers, as well as French and Spanish now. I’m guessing Porsche gets loads of bits from Italy in particular and probably the others as well.

‘Just in  time’ supply chains have now become ‘Just not available’ and most car manufacturers barely keep a few days supply if that. Only needs one missing part to stop the line.

bvineyards:

It’s the end of the world.  Zombies don’t build cars, the look for brains to eat.

Not funny in the current situation, ask our Italian users. 👀

--

Not meant to be insensitive.  My family is in a tight spot too.  Best wishes to all.  

bvineyards:

Not meant to be insensitive.  My family is in a tight spot too.  Best wishes to all.  

Hope things work out for you and family!

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

bvineyards:

Best wishes to you, your family and everyone else here as well. 

--

Thanks guys.  Having a dark sense of humor can be a double edged sword.

DABE64E4-6304-48D7-B8B6-1874057A1D68.jpeg

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    752889 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430555 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258516 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255426 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79499 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5251 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868156 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801709 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM