Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Order and Wait or Get into One That's Available Now?

Finally made up my mind to get into the 997S instead of the 987S with my fully loaded 13k miles 2000 Boxter S as trade-in.

Found one at a dealer that has about 90% of the options that I like. MSRP is $99,300. It's black exterior, black interior, and has the following options:
    P01L - Adaptive Sport Sts Lthr Int
    450 - Ceramic Composite Brakes-PCCB
    762 - PAG Code - Launch code
    267 - Self Dimming Mirrors
    680 - Bose High End Sound Package
    342 - Heated Front Seats
    670 - Navigation for PCM
    640 - Sport Chrono Package Plus

The only thing that it didn't have that is on my list are: yellow deviated stitching, yellow seatbelt, Porsche crest on headrests, colored Porsche crest on wheelcaps, chrome exhaust tips, CD changer, prep for GSM phone and PSE.. I understand the last two are not yet available anyway...

Dealer usually sells at MSRP but willing to give me discount on this one for monthend closeout. The car has 703 miles on it already which makes me think that it might have been a launch car. Dealer says "no, it was not... was an extra car that was offered to them... the extra miles were due to delivery driving..." Of course I'm concerned what kind of miles these 703 ones were... you know what I mean --- are they miles from aggressive driving during test drives, demo or what?

Another thing, even though it might sound such a small thing... if I order one, I would ask the dealer not to drill the holes for the front license plates. This one already has the holes and dealer license plate frames.

What do you guys think? Would you give this some serious thought or let it pass... wait and order a real new one? Waiting is not a problem for me.

However, I have till Tuesday to get back to the dealer and say I'm seriously interested before they tell me what the discount offer is... If everything works out fine, I can drive the car home! Or if we can't come to an agreement, then I'll just order my car...

Thanks,
    Bari

Re: Order and Wait or Get into One That's Available Now?

If this isn't exactly what your looking for I'd pass. Holes, unidentifiable test miles etc. would make me want to continue to look. If you search around enough i.e. calling dealers, you should be able to get one fast. Use this example as a bargaining tool Good luck.

don't buy this car. wait, it's worth it. stay away from this one...

-r

703 miles for "delivery"? That configuration sures sounds like a "launch car". What does the option 762 (PAG Code - launch code) mean if it wasn't a launch car? I'd be really careful about this one, unless you're getting a really exceptional discount for a car which may be launch car with 703 really hard miles on it.

launch code means nothing, its like custom tailoring, its an internal code has nothing to do with the car itself.

the car has indeed been driven far too much.

Quote:
    ossi said:
    don't buy this car. wait, it's worth it. stay away from this one...

-r

I totally agree....get one with the all the options you want, so you don't regret it later

Quote:
    Moogle said:
    ...the car has indeed been driven far too much.

And it probably has had a million people open its door and sit in it and everything else that they do...

Quote:
    vtrader said:
    Quote:
    Moogle said:
    ...the car has indeed been driven far too much.

And it probably has had a million people open its door and sit in it and everything else that they do...

sends shivers down my spine.

Does anyone else think that while 80k is not horrible for an S, 100k optioned out seems a little ridiculous?

Although I think 100k for a GT3 is an ok deal.

Quote:
    Yargk said:
    Does anyone else think that while 80k is not horrible for an S, 100k optioned out seems a little ridiculous?

Although I think 100k for a GT3 is an ok deal.

Yea, seems a little dumb

100k is basically a GT3, since the GT3 starts at 99,900.

but people buy the 997S for their own reasons, which i won't try to understand,

however, if its going to be your only eleven, or a daily driver, the GT3 doesnt fit the bill , it is too harsh, even for me, to drive daily and to do mundane everyday errands.

it is a dedicated racecar, and should be used for canyon runs, and trackdays.

700 miles!? I wouldn't take one with _70_ miles.

That's a major chunk of the break-in and was probably beat to s***.

What how much money will be discounted? Find out just to make yourself feel better about passing it up.

Then again most of us here ARE really FUSSY..., NAH! Aint' worth it, take a chance on a messed up engine, even if it is under warrenty and they replace it they are still ripping your car apart, not the same as getting it assembled at the factory once.

The only problem is youre in Socal and the weather's alwayss nice there making the wait tough. Sorry I can't use the "its winter anyway card."

Okay: I'll use the "if you wait they will have more bugs out by then" card.!

just find another one, its not difficult, worse case scenario, but one from east coast and get it shipped here, i'd recommend a dealer, but i just realized how f*ckin stupid mine was, and how they are essentially trying to con me.

try Ira porsche in massachusetts, speak to alfie, tell him moogle sent you.

they have alot of perfect 997s that are REALLY new sitting around, and he will DEAL. they also ship it to your doorstep free of charge.

option 762 is MIV(market introduction vehicle).these are the first 997's to go out from the chain .if the discount worth it ,go for it.

unless the discount is the same as the price for buying a used car, its still not good enough

becuase, essentially, thats what you have here, a USED car, the only difference from others is that it is untitled, which means jack.

many dealership owners take their unsold cars out for the weekend, and i doubt they treat it seriously.

how many people are going to pamper and baby a car that tehy know they will have no responisibility twoards in terms of lifetime maintinence/etc, especially if they are goin to get rid of it in a few weeks at no loss to themselves.

some people don't care about those things and will buy the car regardless, and since you are posting on an enthusiast forum, i don't think you are one of those people.

point is, this is basically a used car, i consider selling it as a NEW car is basically fraud, however, thats the legal system for ya.

do yourself a favour, if you intend to sell this car in a matter of months or a year or two, do whatever,

if you like your cars and are a true enthusiast, you already know what you should do. no one in thier right mind would take one of these cars, unless tehy couldnt afford a new one and this was relaly highly discounted (none of those applies here).

so...

Quote:
    bari said:
    Dealer usually sells at MSRP but willing to give me discount on this one for monthend closeout. The car has 703 miles on it already which makes me think that it might have been a launch car. Dealer says "no, it was not... was an extra car that was offered to them... the extra miles were due to delivery driving..."

Wow, month-end closeout, huh? Lucky you! My friend, this guy's "month-end" started November 1st. When I hear lines like that, I walk out of the store. You're being lied to.

With the Internet, you now have all the power. You know that you can find out what the market will bear, find out who's got a car you like and then negotiate from a position of strength. Allowing yourself to be lied to is not a position of strength.

Rule number one, don't do business with people who lie to you.

Rule number two, never date actresses or other female impersonators.

D.

I would think you might want to wait for an 06. But this one is a demo not worth touching.

Tom

It is a Launch car. Whether the dealer got the car at the beginning of the launch or if PCNA had an extra car in their stores to give to the dealer. It is unfair to assume that because the car has 700 miles or was a launch car it that it was abused. If they can make you a deal you are comfortable with, enjoy the car. If they can't, order the one that is exactly the way you want and enjoy it.

Quote:
    bari said:
    The car has 703 miles on it already which makes me think that it might have been a launch car. Dealer says "no, it was not... was an extra car that was offered to them... the extra miles were due to delivery driving..." Of course I'm concerned what kind of miles these 703 ones were... you know what I mean --- are they miles from aggressive driving during test drives, demo or what?
    Thanks,
    Bari

703 miles due to delivery driving??? Dealer BS. That configuration is a launch car, and you can bet those 703 miles were lots of test drives, with the sales guy encouraging the prospective buyer to push the engine to the limit. I wouldn't buy it. And would find a dealer that doesn't lie to you.

I'd wait as hard as it may be. This is the kind of car you should get exactly the way you want. I was fortunate enough to find on ONVESL that was just the way I wanted plus one item...I bought it immediately.

Thanks for all the feedback, opinions and views. I decided to pay the dealer a visit and the bottom-line best offer they could make was $95.6K. And the paint scratches that I pointed out to them, initially were going to be taken care of but when they gave me the bottom-line, they took that one out of the deal. I would have to have that re-painted outside by myself.

So, I decided to pass --- on this car. Last word from the dealer, "if you change my mind and it's still available, come back to finish the deal."

When I asked about the 703 miles, I was told that the car was one of about twenty that was used during the big day when dealers all over the country met to learn more about the car and test drove them...

Any more thoughts from you guys?

Thanks,
    bari

Good move that you walked away. The very fact that you are on this board indicates it's not the car for you.

The car is for somebody who isn't acar enthusiast.

They will get the car and will pay more than you would have and will be happy with it and will have no problems with it; they'll walk away thinking they got a deal, too.

Life is strange; or is it me?

Quote:
    bari said:
    Thanks for all the feedback, opinions and views. I decided to pay the dealer a visit and the bottom-line best offer they could make was $95.6K. And the paint scratches that I pointed out to them, initially were going to be taken care of but when they gave me the bottom-line, they took that one out of the deal. I would have to have that re-painted outside by myself.

So, I decided to pass --- on this car. Last word from the dealer, "if you change my mind and it's still available, come back to finish the deal."

When I asked about the 703 miles, I was told that the car was one of about twenty that was used during the big day when dealers all over the country met to learn more about the car and test drove them...

Any more thoughts from you guys?

Thanks,
    bari

Those are probably the cars that they had at California Speedway for the dealers back in August. They beat the hell out of those cars, I'm told.

Quote:
    bari said:

Dealer usually sells at MSRP but willing to give me discount on this one for month-end closeout. The car has 703 miles on it already which makes me think that it might have been a launch car. Dealer says "no, it was not... was an extra car that was offered to them... the extra miles were due to delivery driving..."

Which dealer, and what's the salesperson's name? Both are items the rest of us in the L.A. area should know.

It's the Auto Gallery in Woodland Hills and I was talking to Robert Grant and the Sales Manager himself, Rick Mannas. I prefer talking to this dealership than Rusnak in T.O. where I previously got my Boxster S. Do you have any recommendation of other Porsche dealerships in SoCal?

Thanks,
    bari

Quote:
    bari said:
    It's the Auto Gallery in Woodland Hills and I was talking to Robert Grant and the Sales Manager himself, Rick Mannas. I prefer talking to this dealership than Rusnak in T.O. where I previously got my Boxster S. Do you have any recommendation of other Porsche dealerships in SoCal?

Thanks,
    bari

Call Pioneer in San Diego 619-695-3000. Talk to Joe Vadala. Has been selling Porsche's for over 20 years. Tell him Nick Berry sent you.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Tell him Nick Berry sent you.

On the other hand, if you want good service and a good deal .............

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Tell him Nick Berry sent you.

On the other hand, if you want good service and a good deal .............

LOL

I might give him a call. Any other recommendations? How about you Alan, where did you get yours and were you satisfied with your dealer?

Thanks,
    bari

I got mine at Circle Porsche in Long Beach, about a month ago. I'm was pretty satisfied with the whole process there. Pretty laid back, not a flashy and snobby dealership like Newport Auto Center. Talk to Michelle at Circle.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    778084 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442031 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262943 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261194 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85457 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5695 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880863 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816447 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM