Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: AMG GT R

Yesterday started the sale of new models in EU. First deliveries for GT R February 2017 and March 2017 for GT C Cabrio.

Prices in Germany with Mwst.

AMG GT R  165.450,00€

AMG GT C Cabrio  160.650,00€

Played little bit with Mercedes configurator and ended at 185K € for fully speced GT R and that makes it a bargin IMO. Cheaper then 991.2 Turbo, 570S, R8 V10 Plus or LP580-2 with same equipment level.

Since GT R is pretty capable car it is proce wise almost a baring IMO.

These cars will be bargains if Mercedes dealers sell them slightly used with 20-25% rebate or more. 

I wouldn't compare the GT R with the 991.2 Turbo S or the R8 V10 Plus, I doubt that the GT R does 0-200 kph in under 10 seconds and I also doubt it does 0-300 kph in under 30 seconds. It is a very nice product, indeed...and will probably put the prices for the GT S under huge pressure but it isn't quite(yet) in super car territory.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

here at the Ferrari dealer they have a fully loaded GT-S from 232NP to 129 selling with 5000 km......shocker....

BjoernB:

here at the Ferrari dealer they have a fully loaded GT-S from 232NP to 129 selling with 5000 km......shocker....

I expected that... Now that the new top models are available, prices will drop further.

Just saw a GT S half an hour ago, some sort of dark grey, looking beautiful. This car has street presence but it is too heavy and too expensive. Smiley Of course compared to a 911, it may be a bargain but then again, the 911 has two back seats (which can be used as excellent transport room for two larger suitcases, especially in the Cab).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

RC:
    BjoernB:

I expected that... Now that the new top models are available, prices will drop further.

Just saw a GT S half an hour ago, some sort of dark grey, looking beautiful. This car has street presence but it is too heavy and too expensive. Smiley Of course compared to a 911, it may be a bargain but then again, the 911 has two back seats (which can be used as excellent transport room for two larger suitcases, especially in the Cab).

For 50% off for a 5000km car I could get tempted. It drives really great. It is much sharper than my SLS. Problem - it would be another car I just would have sitting there and hardly use. But indeed... those prices are very tempting!

Also surprised by the pricing on the GT-R, it's really something I would consider instead of a GT3 RS. That said, Mercedes already confirmed they will do a Black Series on this, which will always be "the one to have" and will probably hurt residuals on the GT-R as well.

--

1992 Mercedes-Benz W124 500E / 2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2014 BMW-Alpina B3 biturbo Touring Allrad

For 50% off for a 5000km car I could get tempted. It drives really great. It is much sharper than my SLS. Problem - it would be another car I just would have sitting there and hardly use. But indeed... those prices are very tempting!

SLS is still the daddy....forget the GT.......especially as you do not use it for track work.

even then while the sls might be slower around the track it will be more fun.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

100% agree - plus the cabin in the SLS feels much roomier than the GT. Rather get a new G63 in 2017 indecision

intouch1:

SLS is still the daddy....forget the GT.......especially as you do not use it for track work.

The SLS is the most unpractical car I ever owned. I hardly drive it because it is not usable for daily life. It is weird, as the car is very comfortable on longer distance. However - it just doesn't fit into our life. If we drive with the family it doesn't have enough space. If we go shopping, it doesn't have enough space, if I go for business trips it has the wrong image, if I go for a flight business trip I don't want to leave it at the airport,  if I do some administrative things around town then the doors suck.... and so on. However, it has one positive thing, I just like to look at it. And as long as I like to do that, I will keep it. Smiley

kiss

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

The AMG GTR is tempting, but I am concerned about the residual value after a couple of years. I will not take the risk before observing how this first track-focused model from AMG will develop in value. The AMG GTS Is losing so much value over here in Europe!

--

991 GT3 RS / Gone: Cayman GT4, 997.2 GT3 RS 3.8, 997.2 GT3, Lotus Exige S, 964 Turbo 3.3

And they said the Black Series version is coming.

Lars997:
    intouch1:

The SLS is the most unpractical car I ever owned. I hardly drive it because it is not usable for daily life. It is weird, as the car is very comfortable on longer distance. However - it just doesn't fit into our life. If we drive with the family it doesn't have enough space. If we go shopping, it doesn't have enough space, if I go for business trips it has the wrong image, if I go for a flight business trip I don't want to leave it at the airport,  if I do some administrative things around town then the doors suck.... and so on. However, it has one positive thing, I just like to look at it. And as long as I like to do that, I will keep it. Smiley

Your forget to mention one thing, the sound Smiley Smiley 

--

J.Seven

Lars997:
    intouch1:

The SLS is the most unpractical car I ever owned. I hardly drive it because it is not usable for daily life. It is weird, as the car is very comfortable on longer distance. However - it just doesn't fit into our life. If we drive with the family it doesn't have enough space. If we go shopping, it doesn't have enough space, if I go for business trips it has the wrong image, if I go for a flight business trip I don't want to leave it at the airport,  if I do some administrative things around town then the doors suck.... and so on. However, it has one positive thing, I just like to look at it. And as long as I like to do that, I will keep itSmiley

The same goes for 356?, any chance you could upload some picture of it, that was beautiful one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AtXzca-zSY

AMG GT R: 7:10.92 (cup2)
    488 GTB: 7:21.63 (cup2)

Call me crazy, but those look like slicks sitting next to that AMG van and the tires have warmers on them. This car set a 7:10 lap in the Winter on Cup2? 

Impressive if it did and it's stock...

noone1:

Call me crazy, but those look like slicks sitting next to that AMG van and the tires have warmers on them. This car set a 7:10 lap in the Winter on Cup2? 

Impressive if it did and it's stock...

There was a AMG GT3 at 3:15. Slicks for that car I guess. It says cup2 on the video description.

Well, that's a crazy fast time then when you consider a much more powerful and probably lighter 488 was as well.

That is crazy fast!  I guess GT2 RS really has to break 7 min to be taken seriously...

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Got that info from my Motorpress friend few days ago. CG was extremly impressed with GT R.

Car is very fast everywhere.  Be it country roads, autobahn or on the track. In fact on track it beats complete competition. It is much faster on the track then 675LT(Trofeos!) for example.

No Porsche can beat it on the Ring except 918 Spyder. New 991.2 GT3 is not nearly close and 991.2 GT2 RS mule did almost the same time few months ago (with close to 700ps).

Price wise GT R is a bargin as well. Kudos to Mercedes AMG for truly amazing product.

Btw, AMG GT R Supertest will be published very, very soon. Nordschleife record run is in current issue.

noone1:

Well, that's a crazy fast time then when you consider a much more powerful and probably lighter 488 was as well.

It is also very unlikely given the poor performance of the existing Mercedes GT models. They are all underperformers, like the GTR will be as well (customer cars)...

KresoF1:

Got that info from my Motorpress friend few days ago. CG was extremly impressed with GT R.

Car is very fast everywhere.  Be it country roads, autobahn or on the track. In fact on track it beats complete competition. It is much faster on the track then 675LT(Trofeos!) for example.

No Porsche can beat it on the Ring except 918 Spyder. New 991.2 GT3 is not nearly close and 991.2 GT2 RS mule did almost the same time few months ago (with close to 700ps).

Price wise GT R is a bargin as well. Kudos to Mercedes AMG for truly amazing product.

Btw, AMG GT R Supertest will be published very, very soon. Nordschleife record run is in current issue.

Kreso, this all seems extremely unlikely. How would one explain the poor performing existing Mercedes GT models and then this (alleged) huge jump in performance? I don't believe it. Seems like a marketing trick.

Hmm, I wonder what kind of record they will claim.

Fastest production car? Nope.

Fastest rear wheel drive car? Nope.

Fastest Turbo-ed car? Nope.

Fastest AMG Mercedes, I guess that's the one.

--

MKSGR:
    KresoF1:

Kreso, this all seems extremely unlikely. How would one explain the poor performing existing Mercedes GT models and then this (alleged) huge jump in performance? I don't believe it. Seems like a marketing trick.

Markus,

Sorry but, I disagree.

Normal GT S was on Supertest as fast as 991.1 Turbo S on the track.  That is bad? Not for me.

CG claims that car is extremly confidence inspiring on the limit and therefore much easier to drive on the limit then some competitors. Car is pure stock according to my Motorpresse friend and as you will see from forthcoming Supertest measured power is in order (at upper limit of legal limit) as well. 

Car is basically reingeneered version of original AMG GT S. 

So, your assumption is that Mercedes AMG can not do it and Porsche for example can? 

Or to put it on thin ice that CG and Sport Auto are on AMG pay list and are lying to the public? 

Well... After you see different tests from different examplesof GT R that will be amazing as well you most probably won't belive in them... Hint-another German car mag get different example of GT R and it made some amazing track time as well.

KresoF1:

CG claims that car is extremly confidence inspiring on the limit and therefore much easier to drive on the limit then some competitors. Car is pure stock according to my Motorpresse friend and as you will see from forthcoming Supertest measured power is in order (at upper limit of legal limit) as well. 

Car is basically reingeneered version of original AMG GT S. 

So, your assumption is that Mercedes AMG can not do it and Porsche for example can? 

Or to put it on thin ice that CG and Sport Auto are on AMG pay list and are lying to the public? 

Kreso, I doubt it for the time being. Mercedes has a history of building underperforming sports cars and also a history of cheating the press... Based on this: yes, I doubt they can achieve something Porsche or Ferrari can achieve as they lack the expertise and the engineering know-how Smiley Also, keep in mind that the GTR will only be available to customers in the second half o 2017. That also tells a lot. By definition (!) this car is a prototype and not (!) a production car. They do this as they will have more room to explain why the production car performs far less good than this press car.

Doing a Supertest now of a car that will hit the road in about 12 months... That and their history is all I need to know. I am thinking of the Nissan GTR in this context as well... Made for the stupid people who open their purse based on this kind of BS tactic 

As a reminder of what we are talking about (the only test I could find quickly):

http://www.autobild.de/artikel/mercedes-amg-gt-s-porsche-911-turbo-vergleich-5693390.html

They are comparing the AMG GTS and the regular turbo (with 520hp). NBR lap times of the turbo are about 11s quicker. Their summary states:

"Der 911 Turbo ist in allen Belangen schneller. Und deklassiert den AMG."

"The 911 turbo is faster in all regards. It declassifies the AMG."

And now, Mercedes found the solution to all their problems. At least with this "prototype" car they sent to the press Smiley

Delivery of costumer GT R starts in April 2017. Even late March 2017.

No expertise like Porsche or Ferrari? Well...

Also, 991.1 GT3 RS in Ultraviolett which was used for Supertest was basically also a preproduction car.

Now, imagine if 991.2 GT3 was tested on the Ring also as pre-production car by Sport Auto and achieved amazing time. Everyone here would be raving as much as possible. Double standards to say the most civilised description.

KresoF1:

Delivery of costumer GT R starts in April 2017. Even late March 2017.

No expertise like Porsche or Ferrari? Well...

Also, 991.1 GT3 RS in Ultraviolett which was used for Supertest was basically also a preproduction car.

Now, imagine if 991.2 GT3 was tested on the Ring also as pre-production car by Sport Auto and achieved amazing time. Everyone here would be raving as much as possible. Double standards to say the most civilised description.

The difference is that Porsche has a track-record of building very good performing sports cars. Mercedes has the opposite of a track-record... Still, everything might be possible. I just feel it is highly unlikely Smiley

I don't really car about the NS time, it's all theoretical anyway. 99% of us here would be extremely happy/thrilled to drive a 9min lap.

I think it's a really cool car, kudos to Merc!

--

1992 Mercedes-Benz W124 500E / 2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2014 BMW-Alpina B3 biturbo Touring Allrad

This car seems "well selected"... or however you want to call when they get an engine with over-performance?

Neverthelesse - power is one thing, bringing the power to the street is another story. So they must have done indeed a great job with the suspension and set up of this car. 

Tires - I don't think they use slicks but if they are using Sport Performance tires they are probably only 1-3 % away from slicks (at such cars). 

And - kudos - to Christian Gebhard, well performed! 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690178 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409550 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255888 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235124 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65618 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4651 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858289 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774484 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM