Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Why So Long to Wait in the UK

Just went to my dealer today to spec my car...I've had a deposit down since February 2004...and he reckons i'll be a May 2005 build - so upset - the only potential silver lining is that by then I may be able to order the sports exhaust.

Anyone else out there in the UK with similar stories, or is it possible to get it earlier at another dealer??

Re: Why So Long to Wait in the UK

It is absurd to have to wait so long, I ordered in May 2004 and I was asked to specify in July 2004. I had never dealt with the dealer before I am sure I got no special treatment (but I have no complaints)and I have been driving my car for a month

I ordered early July '04 and got mine October 31.

im getting mine in march i was offered a jan build but wanted a new reg

Ordered in Feb this year and, providing they can find some 19" rims from somewhere, should be here by christmas (nov build)

I ordered in August and was offered it in Feb 2005. I've also decided to wait until March for the new reg.

Which dealer did you go to then? Doesn't sound any good.

What do you mean about "new reg" in march?
    Have i missed something?

Sterio - It's a UK thing, they change the registration plates twice a year, which affects resale, so if your near to a change for delivery, best to wait - it's just the market in the UK.

Raven - Dealer is OPC in East London, they seem pretty good, but my suspicion is that given their location, they sell a lot of 911's to financial / city boys - probably should have thought about it before I put the deposit down. However, you'd think Porsche would 'up' their allocation to keep delivery times as uniform as possible across the Uk dealers. Still unhappy though - trouble is I supsect if i switch dealers now, the wait will be the same??

Sounds more like a mistake than something to do with the location of Porsche East London. I enquired on lead time on boxsters a while ago and it was about the same as West London. I doubt the location affects 911's so much without affecting Boxsters at all.

im getting mine from porsche east london, whom did you speak too?

Ash - it must be a mistake - unless you are ordering something very unusual? Have a chat with someone at West London OPC to compare. They may even have had some cancelled orders which, knowing you're a serious buyer, they could put your way?

I put a deposit down in early July and was offered a car for December, unfortunately decided to wait until March 05 for PSE which of course is now not available.
    Maybe March isn't so bad considering some of the early problems I'm reading about on this board and hey we drive are cars in spring....definately the best time to receive a new car

med, what is your dealer telling you about pse for March? I've moved my build back to March (April delivery) in the hopes PSE would be available by then. My dealer thinks it will be, but I don't think he really knows.

Nilesh,

Contact there is Jonathan Ostroff - i'd be really keen to know when you put down the first letter of intent, and then made to the full Pounds3k deposit - unless you did in 1 shot.

I put down Pounds1k in Feb and made it up to Pounds3k around June (in the timeframes asked to ensure my place on queue)

So, if you out down yours at the same time / later - i'm going to be very unhappy and will either contact another dealer ...or maybe switch my allegiance - I'm coming from a 98 V8 Esprit...maybe I should switch to a Noble or TVR...

Quote:
    trice said:
    med, what is your dealer telling you about pse for March? I've moved my build back to March (April delivery) in the hopes PSE would be available by then. My dealer thinks it will be, but I don't think he really knows.

Bad news I'm afraid, my final order has gone in without PSE because of emission approval. I thinks its unlikely you will see PSE until late 2004.

Sorry I meant late 2005

Hey,
    look at the bright side though, if you ordered AMV8 you had to wait 3 years .

Med, out of interest when did you initially register on the list and when did you make up the 3k deposit, and with which dealer.

I'm sitting here getting more frustrated, suspicious that Porsche East London have screwed my order up??

Thanks

Quote:
    AshD said:
    Med, out of interest when did you initially register on the list and when did you make up the 3k deposit, and with which dealer.

I'm sitting here getting more frustrated, suspicious that Porsche East London have screwed my order up??

Thanks

OK, I put down 1k holding deposit in early July and paid 10% after test driving the car in October, my build date was Feb. for March delivery 05, but my order was not placed with the factory because PSE was not available and last month my dealer had to place my order without PSE otherwise I would have lost my slot....confused?
    Basically, i could have had a car for December but was told PSE would be available on Feb. build cars, this still might happen but highly unlikely, oh and also now TPM has been deleted from my order.
    I have to say I do not blame my dealer, they have been very professional throughout.
    Almost forgot my dealer is Porsche Centre Hatfield just outside London,speak to Lee. 01707 277911

Ash - fyi I ordered and paid my Pounds3k deposit in August 2004. I also wanted PSE and this was one of the reasons for delaying until March 2004 (delivery - Jan build). However, I had my dealer on the phone last week saying that PSE would not be available until well into next year, so I scrapped it as an option. Have to say I wasn't too fussed as not only did it save me a bob or two, if RC is to be believed, the OEM exhaust sounds pretty good as it is.

Good luck with the dealer.

Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:
    Hey,
    look at the bright side though, if you ordered AMV8 you had to wait 3 years .

Tell me about it - I've just ordered the car to replace the car I haven't had delivered yet - how freaky is that!

Waiting for your 997 does no harm it its residual value.....

In line with most comments on this page, my local dealer is Porsche Hatfield.... when discussing order and delivery they quoted up to 12 months - I went to Porsche Cambridge (who previoulsy bought my used Boxster) - they were able to secure a Jan 2005 build car for delivery March 1st 2005.

When I mentioned this to Porsche Hatfield, all of a sudden a build slot became available for Oct 2004....with the Jan 05 build, I am able to get the short shift manual box and the chrome exhaust trims too.

Rgds
    Prashan

PS - all these delays for the car does no harm to its residual value - if you note the 997's advertised in the Sunday Times, they are all above list still and should remain so well into next year.. no other car at that price range allows you to have 6 months motoring with little to no depreciation....

Re: Waiting for your 997 does no harm it its residual value.....

My dealer phoned me yesterday to say that my car had entered the production process 3 weeks early, and if I wanted I could have it delivered on January 1st!

I was SO tempted to say yes, but resisted and stuck to my original 1st March (new reg, problems of selling my current car over Christmas, no garage yet etc etc).

Nice to know I could have been driving it in less than a month though...

Quote:
    Raven said:
    My dealer phoned me yesterday to say that my car had entered the production process 3 weeks early, and if I wanted I could have it delivered on January 1st!

I was SO tempted to say yes, but resisted and stuck to my original 1st March (new reg, problems of selling my current car over Christmas, no garage yet etc etc).

So where is the dealer going to store the car? Is it going to sit at the dealer till March 1st for two months?

Quote:
    vtrader said:
    Quote:
    Raven said:

So where is the dealer going to store the car? Is it going to sit at the dealer till March 1st for two months?

Well, I think he was just suggesting that I could have it then if I really wanted. However, now that I've said March 1st, it probably won't arrive until Feb sometime and I guess they will be storing a fair few cars in advance of March 1st (because of our silly registration system here in the UK).

Good point though - I'll call the dealer.

Raven i would make sure of that,i spoke to my dealer (Lancasters colchester)today and some of the jan delivery cars have already turned up,so basically they will sit in the car park for 1 month. Seems crazy when lots of people are waiting for cars like me,and some turn up a month early and sit there

Robbo - what would you suggest I say to him?! I don't want to ask him to hold off and then find myself waiting longer than I originally planned! I guess these cars have to sit around at some point and the dealer isn't going to leave them under a tree covered in bird [censored] (actually, now I'm worrying...)

Raven if i was you i would take the car on 1st Jan,thats when i get mine that way its still an 05 registered car and you will be one of the lucky few to have their car early,as i am yet to see a 997s on the road

Re: Waiting for your 997 does no harm it its residual value.

Robbo - believe me I am sorely tempted. The main reason I'm not going to is the fact that I haven't yet got my garage sorted (should have it sorted by mid Feb) and I can't quite deal with worrying about the car being parked on the street for two months... Agree about it being a rarity - I've seen one 997 but it wasn't the S....

Re: Waiting for your 997 does no harm it its residual value.

Quote:
    Raven said:
    Robbo - believe me I am sorely tempted. The main reason I'm not going to is the fact that I haven't yet got my garage sorted (should have it sorted by mid Feb) and I can't quite deal with worrying about the car being parked on the street for two months... Agree about it being a rarity - I've seen one 997 but it wasn't the S....

Here's how I took care of my garage. As soon as I found out my 997S was at the port, I rented a moving van, loaded all the "junk" into it and dumped it at my storage unit. It took 1/2 a day. Of course, I only have a one car garage.

Now, if I had to do it all over again, I would've put a big sign in front of my garage, with the words "GARAGE SALE", because now I am paying rent to store my "junk".

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777818 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441941 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262888 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261114 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85372 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5650 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880788 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816300 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM