Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 991 Speedster

Beautiful spec. And thanks for the report. Enjoy!

Porsche 911 Speedster - UK Drive by PistonHeads

8th November 2019)

Here's what a Porsche 911 Speedster's like in the UK...

Read the right comments and you'd think Porsche, of all the manufacturers, would be the last one that needs any further praise. However, in the case of this 911 Speedster, it's deserved. Because it would have been very easy to make a Speedster like the 997: chop the screen and boost the booty of a Carrera S, paint it a funky colour and charge a few people a heck of a lot for it. No doubt a clamour would have ensued, the car would have been perfectly decent and the world would have continued to revolve.

But as you're probably aware, the 991 Speedster is not like a 997 Speedster. It's still a lot of money given the ingredients, sure - old habits die hard in Stuttgart - yet it's also a noticeably more potent sports car. For the first time there is involvement from the GT department, with a Euro 6d compliant version of the 4.0-litre flat-six that's been making mischief in various GT3sfor the past couple of years. There are suspension and steering parts borrowed from those cars, as well as the six-speed manual first seen in the 911 R. The carbon composite wings arthe stripy 911, too. Peak power is at 8,400rpm. Maximum torque doesn't materialise unt6,250rpm. The rear spoiler is adapted from a GT3 Touring. Ceramic brakes are standard fit. The coloured wheel lips, thank heavens above, are not. But the message is clear: this is a 911 Speedster as much for driving as concourse collecting. Carbon in the construction (including that enormous roof panel) means kerbweight is 75kg less than a 911 Cabriolet, it uses individual throttle bodies like a naughty MX-5 track project, four-wheel steer is standard and the tyres are Dunlop Sport Maxx Race 2s. GT3 cabrio is tragically predictable, but that said...

The impression of something more vivid than we'd expect from a limited-run, fiddly roof 911 continues away from the spec. The dials emulate the 911 R, tacho reading to 10, not going red until well past 8 and the green font oh-so-cool; the steering wheel is only adorned with contrast stitching at 12 o'clock; the pedals are spaced near-perfectly and the idle is promisingly lumpy. As a 992 strives to distance its driver further from what's going on, the Lauren Laverne Glastonbury highlights on a Sunday evening, the Speedster throws you straight in the mosh before it's moved anywhere.

Unlike any similar sports cars, indeed unlike most other 911s in fact, the Speedster is not an immediately cushy cabrio for slow speeds. The clutch won't suffer fools, the tyres would prefer temperatures above six degrees ambient and the brake pedal requires some force. They're all recognisable (and laudable) traits from similarly configured GT 911s, reminders that this Porsche needs some driving to extract the best from - though they may well come as a shock to those wanting a pussyfooting, poseur's Porsche.

The impression of a car innately more focussed than those which have shared the badge increases with speed. It's a pared-back, engaging, raw - certainly top down in November, that is - 911 experience, one that bristles and fizzes with excitement, challenge and reward. Emiddling revs and commitment to build temperature, there's a sense of connection with that sublime throttle response, the weight of the gearshift, the odd wriggle from the steering wheel - that help build a relationship and rapport. It sounds daft, but driving, and especially the driving of cars as special as this, should be a two-way process: you input, the car reacts and communicates back, thus informing the next input, building speed, confidence and fun. When done well, it's a delightful thing to be a part of, yet happens irregularly - even with sports cars. Rest assured, it's done very, very well here.

And really, this powertrain could go in a 150,000 mile 993 cab on its original suspension and create something seriously special. Perhaps 'memorable' would be more appropriate, but you get the point: the 4.0-litre is a wondrous centrepiece, complemented by a six-speed manual that currently knows no equal. And now it's more vocal than ever! Whether the feral, manic 9,000rpm crescendo in the fresh air is an experience quite worth £200k is one for further discussion, though there can be little doubt that - teamed with that gearbox - chasing the Speedster for every last rev is one of the most joyous experiences in fast cars.

It is truly a magnificent unit, effervescent and enthralling in a way that only high-revving, atmospheric engines can be. Given the figures it'll be no surprise that it rewards revs, though the Speedsteer is remarkably docile too, happy to pootle and anything but peaky. The only drawbacks, really, are the obvious ones: performance isn't quite as bombastic as those lighter coupes, and perhaps the petrol particulate filters have robbed the 4.0 of a certain sonic something. What's recalled as a baying musical shriek has been replaced with a scream that seems to mimic it almost note for note - and would be wonderful by any other measure - might be a tad muffled by comparison.

Furthermore, and again somewhat predictably, the illusion of a drop-top GT3 - not an official line, of course, but inevitable enough - does eventually fade under strain. By almost any other measure the Speedster is a divine driver's car: forgiving in adverse conditions, blessed with superb traction, supple despite a suspension drop, composed, immediate and alive with feel. Like a GT3, in fact, only the weight robs it of a sliver of agility - and with the roof some structural integrity has departed, too. Once more, we're talking the finest of margins, but the odd quiver and tremor from the chassis is evident over testing tarmac where it wouldn't be in the coupe. And, er, that's really about it. Top down in a Speedster will be a treat, an opportunity to cherish, whatever else you've driven.

Will buyers care about the minor drawbacks? Of course they won't. The Speedster is a visceral, fast, attention-grabbing (because that's what you say when undecided on looks) limited-run 911, one that celebrates the history of Porsche while also pointing to its future with the WLTP-ready engine. As a collectible, indeed as a 911 without a roof, the Speedster is a triumph, vastly and patently more talented than it was ever required to be. A car of which there will only ever be 1,948 never needed to be this good, didn't have to work on the public road as well as it does, didn't have to prove that, actually, a 911 without a roof can certainly stand as an equal in the GT range - that it does is a reason to be cheerful.

From a truly objective standpoint, however, at least as objective as it's possible to be with cars of this type, the Speedster can't quite justify the money being asked. Fact is a 600LT Spider is an even better resolved, faster, rarer sports car than this Porsche; the Lamborghini Huracan may not reward the keen driver quite the same, but boasts a surfeit of performance and presence; finally, weird concoction though it outwardly seems, it would be a brave person to bet against the GT R Roadster being a mighty AMG sports car.

Will buyers object? Again, not likely. The powertrain, the design and the status ensure this Speedster is a unique prospect, something that's becoming ever more difficult to locate in the automotive world. Putting this engine and gearbox in this body means it offers a driving experience not seen in rivals (or anywhere else in the Porsche range, crucially), which will be more than enough to many to justify the outlay. Like the 997 generation, a run-out Speedster for the 991 was always going to be a vehicle lusted after by the lucky few, because a limited-run 911 always is nowadays. That it's a truly great limited-run 911, however, should be music to the ears of Porsche fans everywhere, because it implies a careful and considered - as opposed to a slightly cynical - approach to the Speedster name and heritage, which bodes well for the future. Those 1,948 buyers are getting a good'n - and the 992 will one day have a very high bar to hit.

SPECIFICATION - PORSCHE 911 SPEEDSTER (991)
    Engine: 3,996cc flat-six
    Transmission: six-speed manual, rear-wheel drive
    Power (hp): 510@8,400rpm
    Torque (lb ft): 346@6,250rpm
    0-62mph: 4.0sec
    Top speed: 192mph
    Weight: 1,465kg (DIN)
    MPG: TBC
    CO2: 317g/km
    Price: £211,599 (as standard; price as tested £219,634, comprised of Black leather interior (in conjunction with leather interior decorative stitching in red) for £2,147, Headlight cleaning system covers painted for £143, Sideskirts painted for £438, Front axle lift system for £1,599, Wheels painted in satin black with wheel rim painted in Guards Red for £422, Light design package for £312, Automatically dimming interior and exterior mirrors with integrated rain sensor for £387, cruise control for £228, Steering wheel rim with top centre marking in red for £168, Guards Red seat belts for £194, Storage compartment lid with Porsche Crest for £161, Leather interior with decorative stitching in red for £834 and Bose Surround Sound system for £1,002

Link: https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-driven/porsche-911-speedster---uk-drive/41256

Smiley 

Tim, waiting for you to post pictures of your Martime Blue Speedster!

--

Whoopsy:

Tim, waiting for you to post pictures of your Martime Blue Speedster!

He did...he already did. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

Porsche 911 Speedster: Is this 991 the best convertible Porsche ever? (Autocar video)

The 2020 Porsche 911 Speedster is what you get if you imagine a 911 GT3 without a roof. 

With a 4.0-litre naturally aspirated engine, a six-speed manual gearbox, and GT-department suspension the Speedster is the last of the line for the 991-generation 911. It's incredibly focused to drive and engaging, like the best Porsches, on road or the track. Perfect for carving up mountains on continental Europe in the height of summer, then - but what about those who live in colder climbs? James Disdale heads to Northumberland to see if the Speedster's appeal holds up on British roads in the middle of winter...

Autocar Link: https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-video/2020-porsche-911-speedster-video-review-best-convertible-porsche-ever

Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbaHsG2qQX0

Smiley

Just missing a PDK to be the best smiley

--

PDK should of been an option

--

Tesla Model S P100d & Model X P90D & 2018 991.2 GT3. 2019 BMW M850i Convertible. Tesla Model 3 Performance on order. 2020 Aston Martin Vantage. 

EnglishManInNY:

PDK should of been an option

Yes, that way the proper ones (Manual) would be more in demand indecision

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Windshield wipers on while driving with the top down. heart

--

Having everything is nice, but it's even nicer to make sure everything you've got is actually worth having.

Video review of the Porsche 911 Speedster... Smiley

Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tT-zKgJEM8

Smiley

Porsche 991 Speedster looks (and sounds) great in silver... Smiley

Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNBs9qBPbI8

Smiley

Problem with that title is that it really isn't that rare for modern Porsches.

1948 of them, like twice as many as a 911R, definitely twice as many as a 918.

Almost 4 times as many as a Turbo S Exclusive coupe and 10 times more than a Exclusive Cabriolet.

That's the last 4 Porsche limited number cars.

Not counting race cars, the rarest Porsche is the Exclusive Cabriolet, they only made 200 of them, but all for North American Market. Strictly speaking it is the rarest one in the world. But for North America it actually isn't. There was only 150 of the coupe that made it to North America, so it's more rare. 

Even counting both coupe an cabriolet, the Exclusive series is still the rarest of the modern Porsche, 700 total. 

1948 of them, Porsche might as well skip the limitation number for it. 

--

Whoopsy:

Not counting race cars, the rarest Porsche is the Exclusive Cabriolet, they only made 200 of them, but all for North American Market. Strictly speaking it is the rarest one in the world. But for North America it actually isn't. There was only 150 of the coupe that made it to North America, so it's more rare. 

I've driven 3 examples of the 1988 911 Clubsport.  Total number sold in North America:  28

https://roadscholars.com/current-offerings/public-stock/1988-porsche-911-clubsport-sold/

But I think they made fewer of the 1967 911R (something like 22 worldwide)

Only 20 of these 1992 Porsche 964 Carrera 4 Lightweight:

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/18267/lot/232/?category=list

And only 14 or 16 of these rare front-engine cars:

https://flatsixes.com/cars/porsche-968/the-rarest-porsche-you-probably-never-heard-of/

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Grant:
    Whoopsy:

I've driven 3 examples of the 1988 911 Clubsport.  Total number sold in North America:  28

https://roadscholars.com/current-offerings/public-stock/1988-porsche-911-clubsport-sold/

https://flatsixes.com/cars/porsche-968/the-rarest-porsche-you-probably-never-heard-of/

--

Hehe those are before the current production bloom from Porsche.

Imagine they only made 50 of the modern 911R.

--

Whoopsy:
    Grant:
    Whoopsy:

--

Hehe those are before the current production bloom from Porsche.

Imagine they only made 50 of the modern 911R.

Yeah, that would be quite a spectacle to watch the feeding frenzy over those.

Funny thing about the 88 Clubsport is that it wasn’t a limited edition.  There were only 28 people in US, Canada, and Mexico who liked the idea of paying the same price as a Carrera to get a lighter (sportier, but less luxurious) car with a blueprinted motor with higher redline. Smiley

--

The problem is mostly all Porsche's look alike. Thus, from a public perception standpoint, exclusivity is elusive.indecision

--

Having everything is nice, but it's even nicer to make sure everything you've got is actually worth having.

4 prototypes and 20 production examples of the 1967 R is my understanding

yes 1948 made is too many.  I personally know 5 other Speedster owners in town already.

as for my other 2 club coupes, I'm the only one in my province, and one of 3 persons in the world to own both, although most people don't care or never heard of the club coupes. indecision

--

Tim

2010 997.2 GT3RS;  2008 Cayenne Turbo;  2006 911 Club Coupe;  2016 911 GTS Club Coupe;  2015 Macan S;  2019 Speedster

Whoopsy:
    Even counting both coupe an cabriolet, the Exclusive series is still the rarest of the modern Porsche, 700 total. 

This is a valid point. I was not particularly attracted to it when it came out but having seen one up close - its very impressive indeed. So many little details. Are you still using yours regularly or has it fallen victim to the insurance issue?

crayphile:
    Whoopsy:

This is a valid point. I was not particularly attracted to it when it came out but having seen one up close - its very impressive indeed. So many little details. Are you still using yours regularly or has it fallen victim to the insurance issue?

Mine just got past 10,000km the last couple days. In about 18 months of ownership. That's high for me for a car as I averaged around 30,000km a year. Literally this car is my daily driver. Insurance for it also not too bad, they rated it like a normal Turbo S,  

I have winter tires on it atm. Was up at Whistler last few days driving it in the snow and stuff. 

--

Whoopsy:
    Mine just got past 10,000km the last couple days. In about 18 months of ownership. That's high for me for a car as I averaged around 30,000km a year. Literally this car is my daily driver. Insurance for it also not too bad, they rated it like a normal Turbo S,  

I have winter tires on it atm. Was up at Whistler last few days driving it in the snow and stuff. 

Impressive. They are mainly garage queens here in the UK and going for well above list.

crayphile:
    Whoopsy:

Impressive. They are mainly garage queens here in the UK and going for well above list.

Never appreciated the garage queen mentality.  A car is made to be driven and these cars are made to be driven aggressively and often.  Drive it until the wheels fall off and if one still likes the car, there is usually means available to rebuild it and then place into a collection.  The 356 and the MG N still go out in the wintertime.

crayphile:
    Whoopsy:

There are 29 of them in the UK, I would say only 9 of those get driven regularly, if even that.

I get asked many times, why am I driving it in the rain/snow. I was like well it still is a Turbo S, so that means it is the best all weather all around sports car, most practical and well, it's a Porsche. 

--

Oh, forgot to mention this car.

016CE216-CE17-4A4D-B5BB-568D8217AE24.png

--

Casually... Needs a smiley! 

Manual , white .... doesn't add up . What happened to you , a moment of weakness ? 

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm -- 991.2 GT3 RS 

This cannot be.enlightened

--

When you're going through hell.....keep going.

indecision

Blueflame

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688821 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408826 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255578 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234833 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65428 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4638 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857673 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773572 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM