Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Poll: How many 997s are there WITHOUT problems

Okay, I know the people who post on forums are not a good smaple of the overall population with 997s, but I gotta say that I am amazed with the number of problems being posted which I think is more than the usual gremlins of early adopters. So let's take a poll!

Re: Poll: How many 997s are there WITHOUT problems

I was wondering the same thing. I would like to buy porsche shares
    Problem is you are not going to get any representative answer and the car is not old enough. You'll get a better idea in a year or so. What I'm interested in is how the dollar/euro rate influence sales in US. I guess if cars don't get more expensive for US buyers, porsche's profit will be cut. Not good.

Based on the results and as I suspected, I think you get more bitch'n on the net. In the past you probably would not have gotten such quick feedback(a lot negative) which gives you the impression that things are a lot worse then they are. Net =

Yeah, I realize that people tend to bit*h more on the 'net. But, there are also more true enthusiats on really good boards like rennteam and rennlist. I have to say it's a bit diassapointing that, THUS FAR, there are 50% of owners having at least some problems. Ugghh. And, 20% with severe problems??!!.

Of course, there are only 16 responses so far...

Do a similar poll on S-Class, 7-Series, 5-Series, E-Class, Cayenne, X5, etc buyers and I would predict that the 997 results early in a new model cycle will compare favorably. Gotta go to the Lexus/Toyota buyer poll before one realizes how weak most German cars are in reliability...but which driving enthusiast wants a Lexus/Toyota?

Ask a Lexus/Toyota driver how he is driving, ask a BMW or Porsche driver how he is driving. I guess this makes a difference too. If I don't push a car really hard, it might not brake down. I had a Toyota Celica 4WD Turbo many years ago, the first model. There was a little trick how to raise boost pressure by turning a stupid screw in the engine compartment only (unbelievable!) and adjustment was pretty easy, just below the mark where the engine electronics entered the emergency mode. What can I say, I added around 40 HP more with this trick (I found it myself, believe it or not but I was used to such things from my former Lancia Integrale where you had to move a screw up and down only too ) according to dyno tests done for comparison and the engine was still pretty reliable, over 20000 km without a single problem. But the brakes (discs, pads and even the brake calipers) were finished after a few thousand kms and although Toyota sent two engineers(!) to my dealer to modify my car (they added racing cooling ducts for the brake system, new discs, pads and calipers and gave me new wheels with better cooling capabilities for free which looked very nice because they were BBS racing rims). But soon the suspension started to give up (after 20000 km) and other weird things happened and they took back my car.
    They found out about the screw but surprisingly, Toyota Germany still wanted to have the car, so I gave it to them. Japanese cars might be nice but I actually like only their off-roaders like the Landcruiser.

Quote:
    alin2 said:
    Yeah, I realize that people tend to bit*h more on the 'net. But, there are also more true enthusiats on really good boards like rennteam and rennlist. I have to say it's a bit diassapointing that, THUS FAR, there are 50% of owners having at least some problems. Ugghh. And, 20% with severe problems??!!.

Anonymous polls...
    Just for the book: we can check who voted for "severe problems", so please no BS guys.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Ask a Lexus/Toyota driver how he is driving, ask a BMW or Porsche driver how he is driving. I guess this makes a difference too. If I don't push a car really hard, it might not brake down. I had a Toyota Celica 4WD Turbo many years ago, the first model. There was a little trick how to raise boost pressure by turning a stupid screw in the engine compartment only (unbelievable!) and adjustment was pretty easy, just below the mark where the engine electronics entered the emergency mode. What can I say, I added around 40 HP more with this trick (I found it myself, believe it or not but I was used to such things from my former Lancia Integrale where you had to move a screw up and down only too ) according to dyno tests done for comparison and the engine was still pretty reliable, over 20000 km without a single problem. But the brakes (discs, pads and even the brake calipers) were finished after a few thousand kms and although Toyota sent two engineers(!) to my dealer to modify my car (they added racing cooling ducts for the brake system, new discs, pads and calipers and gave me new wheels with better cooling capabilities for free which looked very nice because they were BBS racing rims). But soon the suspension started to give up (after 20000 km) and other weird things happened and they took back my car.
    They found out about the screw but surprisingly, Toyota Germany still wanted to have the car, so I gave it to them. Japanese cars might be nice but I actually like only their off-roaders like the Landcruiser.

Good points, RC. Don't know if it's different in Germany, but, from what I've seen in US, 98%+ of Merc and Bimmer buyers are indistinguishable from Lexus buyers in terms of lack of driving enthusiasm....many, though not all, Merc/BMW drivers simply opt for an allegedly cooler/sportier/more high-end brand....let's face it, vast majority of guys and their wives view cars as more of a status symbol/utility vehicle than a driving experience....

Hey RC,

First, thank you for all your "inside" info and insights. It has certainly helped me tremendously in my order for a 997S.

But, have you heard anything about this "System fault" that Skip, Ossi, and another dude on the rennlist site have all experienced after washing their cars? Is the "central control module" located in a place subject to moisture? Also, they all seem to have problems with the central control module, steering angle sensor, and front hood latch. Hmm. Any thoughts?

Quote:
    VKSF said:
    Do a similar poll on S-Class, 7-Series, 5-Series, E-Class, Cayenne, X5, etc buyers and I would predict that the 997 results early in a new model cycle will compare favorably. Gotta go to the Lexus/Toyota buyer poll before one realizes how weak most German cars are in reliability...but which driving enthusiast wants a Lexus/Toyota?

Yeah, my 2001 E39 M5 had a ton of electrical problems requiring multiple visits. The Cayenne S I had also had a crap load of problems. OTOH, my Cayenne TT was pretty much flawless except for the air conditioner going out.

What I don't get is why can't we get the best of both worlds...German driving dynamics and bulletproof Japanese reliability...They shouldn't be mutually exclusive.

Quote:
    alin2 said:
    ...have all experienced after washing their cars? Is the "central control module" located in a place subject to moisture? Also, they all seem to have problems with the central control module, steering angle sensor, and front hood latch. Hmm. Any thoughts?

I did notice that the top of the compartment between the trunk and the windshield does collect alot of water when you wash the car. I believe this is where the battery is. I did not open the area to see if any water penetrated the area but maybe they had some water penetrate this area.

I've owned several "first year" cars, but none have had anything like the problems I've had with my 997 S. For example, from most recent:

'05 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT Limited - Brand new model. I've had this for almost the same amount of time as the 997 S, using it as a daily driver, with no problems. This car has a turbo, AWD, and lots of electronics, yet somehow Subaru managed to build a trouble-free car for 1/3 the price.

'03 GMC Sierra 2500HD - First year for this model, with a turbo-diesel, lots of "convenience" electronics, 4WD, etc. No problems after 19000 miles in one year, mostly towing Porsche race cars in an enclosed trailer all over the USA.

'03 Subaru WRX Wagon - This was a new model, and like the Outback has turbo, AWD, etc. I drove the hell out of this car on a daily basis, at a drag strip, on a road course, on the ice, etc., with no problems.

'01 BMW X5 3.0 - A brand new model, and I had one of the first ones. No major problems, and the BMW dealer was prompt with all service, including replacing an oil-fill cap that I lost for free.

'98 ('99?) Toyota Land Cruiser - This was the new V8 model, with all new design. Not a single problem in the three years that I owned it.

'97 ('98) Dodge Durango - This was the first year that they made this SUV, and it was from a "cheap" American brand. Although I didn't like it, it never let me down like the 997 has.

The one exception to this is:

'03 GMC Sierra Denali (pickup) - While towing my 993 racecar to an event the front differential burned out due to some sort of leak. I pressed the OnStar button and GM sent a flatbed to tow the truck to a dealer, who fixed it promptly at no cost. I used it for thousands of miles afterwards with no problems. This truck had AWD, 4-wheel steering, stability systems, etc. GM did exactly what I expect from a car manufacturer when one of their vehicles has a problem.

I've also owned other GM and Ford products that never had problems like I've experienced with the 997. At most these cars required one trip to the dealer to fix a problem. I fully accept that a car will have problems at times, but I do not believe that it is ever acceptable to have a problem that can't seemingly be fixed!

I'm sorry if some of you are distressed by my "dissing" of Porsche, but it's not without good cause. I currently own 4 Porsches, including the 997 S, a Boxster, a 996 GT3 Cup, and a 993 racecar. I've also owned a 993 C4S and a 928 S4, and it's amazing that the latter, which is known for having electrical gremlins, was never a problem like the 997 S has been. I've been as patient as anyone could possibly be with Porsche given the problems with this car, in fact most people would say that I've gone well beyond the "call of duty" for the marque. Again, if any of you think that I should just "be patient" or should expect this kind of problem from a car like this, you're nuts.

The fact is that there are problems with the 997, and Porsche isn't doing what it should to fix them. As someone who truly loves these cars, I am very disappointed and saddened by this experience.

i was given a 997 to drive for a few days, it seemed like a VERY solid car, everything felt 'right'. high build quality.

interior 'percieved' quality much better than 9x6 generation, but once i got back into my 9x6, it didn't feel old compared to the 997, just different and perhaps a bit sexier/curvier.

the 997 was flawless as far as i could tell from 72 ~ hours

Quote:
    Skip said:
    I've owned several "first year" cars, but none have had anything like the problems I've had with my 997 S. For example, from most recent:

'05 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT Limited - Brand new model. I've had this for almost the same amount of time as the 997 S, using it as a daily driver, with no problems. This car has a turbo, AWD, and lots of electronics, yet somehow Subaru managed to build a trouble-free car for 1/3 the price.

'03 GMC Sierra 2500HD - First year for this model, with a turbo-diesel, lots of "convenience" electronics, 4WD, etc. No problems after 19000 miles in one year, mostly towing Porsche race cars in an enclosed trailer all over the USA.

'03 Subaru WRX Wagon - This was a new model, and like the Outback has turbo, AWD, etc. I drove the hell out of this car on a daily basis, at a drag strip, on a road course, on the ice, etc., with no problems.

'01 BMW X5 3.0 - A brand new model, and I had one of the first ones. No major problems, and the BMW dealer was prompt with all service, including replacing an oil-fill cap that I lost for free.

'98 ('99?) Toyota Land Cruiser - This was the new V8 model, with all new design. Not a single problem in the three years that I owned it.

'97 ('98) Dodge Durango - This was the first year that they made this SUV, and it was from a "cheap" American brand. Although I didn't like it, it never let me down like the 997 has.

The one exception to this is:

'03 GMC Sierra Denali (pickup) - While towing my 993 racecar to an event the front differential burned out due to some sort of leak. I pressed the OnStar button and GM sent a flatbed to tow the truck to a dealer, who fixed it promptly at no cost. I used it for thousands of miles afterwards with no problems. This truck had AWD, 4-wheel steering, stability systems, etc. GM did exactly what I expect from a car manufacturer when one of their vehicles has a problem.

I've also owned other GM and Ford products that never had problems like I've experienced with the 997. At most these cars required one trip to the dealer to fix a problem. I fully accept that a car will have problems at times, but I do not believe that it is ever acceptable to have a problem that can't seemingly be fixed!

I'm sorry if some of you are distressed by my "dissing" of Porsche, but it's not without good cause. I currently own 4 Porsches, including the 997 S, a Boxster, a 996 GT3 Cup, and a 993 racecar. I've also owned a 993 C4S and a 928 S4, and it's amazing that the latter, which is known for having electrical gremlins, was never a problem like the 997 S has been. I've been as patient as anyone could possibly be with Porsche given the problems with this car, in fact most people would say that I've gone well beyond the "call of duty" for the marque. Again, if any of you think that I should just "be patient" or should expect this kind of problem from a car like this, you're nuts.

The fact is that there are problems with the 997, and Porsche isn't doing what it should to fix them. As someone who truly loves these cars, I am very disappointed and saddened by this experience.

Skip, seems like 996 had excellent owner survey reviews re: quality/reliability. Perhaps 997 is (not surprisingly) having first-yr issues and your car is a lemon....but would
    you say your dealer is known as a service-oriented dealer where you're a known customer to dealer owner and GM?...or is it a monopoly/oligopoly dealer where P buyers in region are forced to quietly bend over? Seems to me that any smart, competitive dealer identifies its major customers (and referral sources) and acts as a sponsor for relevant customers w/PCNA in resolving lemon or lemonish cars that every car maker in world periodically, discreetly "manages"....

VKSF, the GM dealers I've used over the years were in Mississippi, Virginia, and Colorado. The Toyota dealers were in Virginia and Colorado, the Dodge dealer was in Virginia, the BMW dealer in Colorao, and the Subaru dealers in two different cities in Colorado. It may well be that my Porsche dealer is the problem, but I purchased a Porsche, not a Stammler. I do not distinguish between the dealer, PCNA, or PAG, as they're all Porsche to me. If a dealer is truly the problem, then PCNA/PAG should fix it, not me.

Sorry if this sounds a bit hostile, but I'm really tired of hearing that the dealer might be the problem. I shouldn't have to drive a long distance to get good service, and it's not my job to ensure that the dealer is competent. It says "Porsche" on the deaelership, and it's an official Porsche dealer, therefore I should reasonably be able to expect the level of service that Porsche promises.

Skip,

I agree with you. Your experience thus far with this 997S is deplorable from every perspective. Get the car lemoned and move on. I certainly hope your car is an aberration. Try a new 997S...

Skip, I'd be far less patient than you have been w/your 997S...I hope PCNA lemons this car and you're not too bitter to accept another 997S/P product after this experience. Reason I think many have harped on dealer issue is that we all hope PCNA does a better job of creating competitive dealer situations in more relevant mkts....w/dealers that represent the P brand w/appropriate sales/service quality. It seems absurd to me that mkts like Cleveland have 4-5 small P dealers (don't know if any are competent), yet mkts like Phx, Seattle, Austin, etc (which prob dwarf Cleve in P sales) are essentially monopolies. PCNA needs to know where dealers/regional zone mgrs are dropping the ball in svcg/flagging lemon cars, thereby risking the loyalty of longtime P buyers such as you....and PCNA needs to change regional zone mgrs/award new franchises/modify desirable car allocations accordingly....

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    alin2 said:

Anonymous polls...
    Just for the book: we can check who voted for "severe problems", so please no BS guys.

Hey RC, sounds like a threat to me.

I have my Cayenne in service for the hesitation problem (3rd time) and was told they have fix. They gave me a new Cayenne(2005) as a loaner car. Unbelievably it has the exact problem! While turning depress the throttle and it hesitates. As dangerous as my 2003.

All I can do is laugh and be confident that when I get my Cayenne back it will not be fixed.If Porsche cannot fix the 2005 what are the chances of my 2003 being fixed.

BTW to be fair to Porsche, BMW and MB quality has fallen off dramatically as well according to the latest quality surveys.

Here's a question...

How much do you think auto manufacturers figure in for warranty repairs per car? I read somewhere the average is between $600-$1200 per car with Lexus leading the way at less than $100/car. The cynical side of me thinks that maybe Porsche realizing the incredible profit per vehicle will allow for a larger amount of warranty per vehicle. Of course, I guess you can't put a price tag on customer dissatisfaction...I'm pretty sure that Porsche has figured this stuff ALL out.

Of course, what do I know? I'm not a businessman, just a simple doctor...

Quote:
    alin2 said:
    Here's a question...

How much do you think auto manufacturers figure in for warranty repairs per car? I read somewhere the average is between $600-$1200 per car with Lexus leading the way at less than $100/car. The cynical side of me thinks that maybe Porsche realizing the incredible profit per vehicle will allow for a larger amount of warranty per vehicle. Of course, I guess you can't put a price tag on customer dissatisfaction...I'm pretty sure that Porsche has figured this stuff ALL out.

Of course, what do I know? I'm not a businessman, just a simple doctor...

If P is ruthlessly efficient, they may be pricing in fact that relevant comparables (Merc/BMW) have significant reliability/poor dealer cust svc issues of own...so buyer base needs to "choose its poison". Also, P may have identified certain US target mkts of relevant size/potential size where PCNA cust svc efforts are focused....if this approach is true, those in minor mkts are viewed as "take-it or leave-it" custs where PCNA doesn't really care what dealers do in managing their monopolies/oligopolies. All that being said, I doubt the auto business and PCNA are such efficiently and logically run operations.....

Quote:
    alin2 said:

How much do you think auto manufacturers figure in for warranty repairs per car? ... The cynical side of me thinks that maybe Porsche realizing the incredible profit per vehicle ....

Perhaps Porsche has been cutting too many corners in it's apparently successful pursuit of the Euro. As reported:

"Porsche Makes a Profit of 1.088 billion Euro. Text courtesy Porsche AG, 11-17-2004

Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG of Stuttgart, Germany, turned in the highest profit in its corporate history during the 2003/04 fiscal year, which closed on July 31, in spite of the difficult economic climate. At today's meeting of the Supervisory Board, the Group's pre-tax result of 1.088 billion Euros was confirmed. This figure exceeds the previous fiscal year's result of 933 million Euros by 16.6 percent. It also proved possible to increase the Group's surplus for the fiscal year (the after-tax result) by 8.3 percent to 612 million Euros, compared with 565 million Euros for the previous year....

The shareholders' general meeting in Stuttgart on January 28, 2005 will be recommended to pay common-stock holders a dividend of 3.94 Euros per share for the 2003/04 fiscal year. Preferred-stock shareholders will receive a dividend of 4.00 Euros. The sum of 69.5 million Euros distributed as dividends will exceed the previous year's total (59 million Euros) by 17.8 percent.... Porsche's outlook for the current 2004/05 fiscal year is again optimistic. The ... company is confident that the new-generation 911 and Boxster, which are being introduced to the market gradually from this summer to the end of the year, will lend additional impetus to Porsche's sports car business. Above all, thanks to an even more attractive product program, the company expects renewed growth in the current fiscal year."

Quote:
    vtrader said:
    Quote:
    alin2 said:
    ...have all experienced after washing their cars? Is the "central control module" located in a place subject to moisture? Also, they all seem to have problems with the central control module, steering angle sensor, and front hood latch. Hmm. Any thoughts?

I did notice that the top of the compartment between the trunk and the windshield does collect alot of water when you wash the car. I believe this is where the battery is. I did not open the area to see if any water penetrated the area but maybe they had some water penetrate this area.

I was surprised myself to see water there and also a surprising amount of soapy water in the door sills after the car wash.

I haven't myself had any problems at all with the car so far, except only that the remote trunk release seems to work only intermittently.

Also one more water related issue: when it is raining and the door is opened there is sometimes a quick run-off of water, quite a little stream, pouring down behind the seat(s).

Has anyone spoken with Porsche or a dealer re the potential for water damage?

PS: A random question: is it possible to program the car to beep when you remote lock it? I couldn't find mention of this, but without the beep, I find myself manually checking to make sure it is locked, which is annoying, since especially in bright sunlight the quick flash of the side lights is easy to miss.

Pnoble,

I was trying to figure out how to make the car beep after locking too....couldn't find instructions to enable this. I find myself double checking to make sure it is locked as well....bit of a pain....BUT, can i say it again -- THIS CAR ROCKS...IT IS JUST SO HOT. SOMETIMES I LIKE LOOKING AT IT MORE THAN DRIVING IT!!

More than once after thinking I had locked the car I returned to find that I hadn't, and my concern, GG, is that someone might, finding it unlocked, prefer to try to drive it away rather than just look at it!!!

I agree. It rocks. I hit 2,000 miles yesterday. As of today I am leaving it permanently in Sports mode, but with the Sports suspension mode off mostly. The increased engine (or just throttle) response is awsome.

Quote:
    pnoble said:
    More than once after thinking I had locked the car I returned to find that I hadn't, and my concern, GG, is that someone might, finding it unlocked, prefer to try to drive it away rather than just look at it!!!

While the car doesn't beep you can hear the doors lock and you watch for the lights to flash. It just takes getting used to.

I asked this before BUT NO RESPONSE. Is there a way to leave the car permanently in Sport mode without having to hit the button each time?

Quote:
    SrfCity said:

I asked this before BUT NO RESPONSE. Is there a way to leave the car permanently in Sport mode without having to hit the button each time?

I don't know that this could be done, but one thing that Porsche could do for the future is copy the F430's "manettino" switch. While it wouldn't have the exact same modes, it could offer settings such as:

Standard 1 - ECU normal, PASM normal, PSM on
    Standard 2 - ECU sport, PASM normal, PSM on
    Sport 1 - ECU normal, PASM sport, PSM on
    Sport 2 - ECU sport, PASM sport, PSM on
    Race - ECU sport, PASM sport, PSM off

Or something like that. You could then leave the switch in the mode that you wanted, and cycle between them without having to fiddle with three different buttons.

Quote:
    pnoble said:
    PS: A random question: is it possible to program the car to beep when you remote lock it? I couldn't find mention of this, but without the beep, I find myself manually checking to make sure it is locked, which is annoying, since especially in bright sunlight the quick flash of the side lights is easy to miss.

Watch the blinkers flashing twice. Much better than beeping as it is unobtrusive. MBs do not beep either.

also,apart from the dbl blinking,the locking noise is pretty high.

there is no need for any beep

Quote:
    SrfCity said:

While the car doesn't beep you can hear the doors lock and you watch for the lights to flash. It just takes getting used to.

I don't believe so. Same with my M5. My guess is that the Sports setting reduces gas mileage and having the car default back to standard mode avoids the car's official EPA gas mileage figures being impacted.

PS: my prior comment re intermittent trunk lock is actually intermittent manual reading on my part! One has to hold the button down for two seconds, probably to avoid accidental opening due to the button position.

Also, if you accidentally unlock the car then do not open it, it will automatically lock again after (default setting) 60 seconds. This very cleverly counteracts the risk of double locking - i.e. accidentally unlocking.

The level of software/firmware design for this car's telematics/MMI is really impressive: intelligent and thoughtful throughout. It runs rings around BMW's last generation. I have never used iDrive.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777207 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441699 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262779 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260951 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85223 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5568 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880655 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815942 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM