Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Option Availability (updated)

The following options are now available for ordering in the US:

E31 Leather Package Switch Panel
    XMP Leather Sun Visors Lighted
    XMZ Rear Center Console in Leather
    XNG Instrument Surround in Leather
    XPA 3-Spoke Steering Wheel (Interior Leather)
    XTG Inner Sill Parts & Release in Leather
    XTV Door Finishers in Leather

These options can be added to all still changeable car orders.

Re: Option Availability (updated)

RC, I was under the impression that XPA is the thicker steering wheel isn't? in your description it just says 3 spoke steering wheel in leather! I did order this option. If I am wrong, what's the differance then between XPA and the regular 3 spoke that comes with the carrera S (I'm assuming the standard one is leather)

up - rc, explain pls..

re

Quote:
    muhri said:
    RC, I was under the impression that XPA is the thicker steering wheel isn't? in your description it just says 3 spoke steering wheel in leather! I did order this option. If I am wrong, what's the differance then between XPA and the regular 3 spoke that comes with the carrera S (I'm assuming the standard one is leather)

Relax, XPA is the "thicker" steering wheel and I can highly recommend it. I had it on my 996 Turbo and I want to retrofit it on my 997 Carrera S as soon as I have some time to go to my dealer and actually order it.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    muhri said:

Relax, XPA is the "thicker" steering wheel and I can highly recommend it. I had it on my 996 Turbo and I want to retrofit it on my 997 Carrera S as soon as I have some time to go to my dealer and actually order it.

Sorry to have to contradict, RC, but the above info is incorrect, and could result in a few people cussing your name if not corrected.

XPA denotes a wheel with a leather-trimmed center boss (airbag cover), for "cheaper" Porsche models where standard wheel center boss is self-skinning foam.
    I unfortunately don't have the correct reference for the thicker/padded wheel rim to hand, so I can't give you the rest of the story.

CPZ is thicker wheel option...at least for 996TTS

Quote:
    VKSF said:

Yup, CPZ rings a bell. I believe those special order item codes carry over from one model to another, even if the individual items concerned can differ between models.

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Sorry to have to contradict, RC, but the above info is incorrect, and could result in a few people cussing your name if not corrected.

XPA denotes a wheel with a leather-trimmed center boss (airbag cover), for "cheaper" Porsche models where standard wheel center boss is self-skinning foam.
    I unfortunately don't have the correct reference for the thicker/padded wheel rim to hand, so I can't give you the rest of the story.

You can correct or contradict me anytime you want but here's a little something taken from Exlusive department:

Edelstahlendrohre verchromt X54
    Sicherheitsgurte silbergrau XSH
    3-Speichen-Sportlenkrad Glattleder, aufgepolstert XPA
    Rahmen Kombiinstrument Leder XNG
    Porsche Wappen auf Kopfstützen XSC
    Himmel Leder XMA
    Sonnenblenden Leder XMP
    Fußmatten mit Ledereinfassung XX1
    Interieur-Paket Schalttafel Makassar, dunkel (seidenmatt) E33
    Interieur-Paket Türtafel Makassar, dunkel (seidenmatt) XTT

XPA = thicker steering wheel. At least according to Exclusive department.

Quote:
    VKSF said:

I also find CPZ in my documents for the 996 but not for the 997. Give me a few minutes, I check it somewhere else...

Well, you got all the time in the world RC to come back to me since I still did not update the dealer on what I want to do.. at least its avaialable for ordring! Please let us know what the final thing is..

Quote:
    muhri said:
    Well, you got all the time in the world RC to come back to me since I still did not update the dealer on what I want to do.. at least its avaialable for ordring! Please let us know what the final thing is..

Sorry, my little son woke up and I forgot to post the answer yesterday night.

All infos I have indicate XPA for the thicker steering wheel. Your dealer surely has checked it in his ordering system when you ordered this option, right?
    Maybe fritz or somebody else can actually shed some light into this because I'm really confused now.

Here's what the documents I have say (all official Porsche documents, not some sales guy's opinion):

For 996 (I checked Carrera and Turbo S):
    CPZ ($730 in US) is "thicker steering wheel"
    XPA ($1,280 in US) is:
    "3 spoke steering wheel--interior leather
    Finished in leather in interior color: steering wheel rim with cross stitched seam, airbag module, hub cover, includes airbag"

For 997, option XPA ($1,050 in US) is "thicker 3 spoke sports steering wheel in smooth leather"
    This is how it's listed in the 997 order guides.

In the vehicle distribution bulletin (which PCNA updates periodically to communicate option availability to the dealers) it was stated in early October that a bunch of options that they listed--including option XPA--were unavailable for ordering for 997, even though they were listed in the order guides, and PCNA would communicate when they would be available for ordering. Then in mid November, it was communicated that several options--including XPA--were released and now available for ordering on 997 models. The confusion seem to be that the vehicle distribution bulletin describes XPA for the 997 as "3 spoke steering wheel--interior leather" even though the 997 order guides describe it as "thicker 3 spoke sports steering wheel in smooth leather."

My guess (but just that!!) is that XPA for the 997 is the "thicker 3 spoke sports steering wheel in smooth leather" and that whoever updates the vehicle distribution bulletin incorrectly picked up the XPA description from the 996. I can't imagine Porsche lowering the price from $1,280 (996) to $1,050 (997) if XPA is the same option for both models.

That's about as clear as mud...

My head just started...

Description from Exclusive Program CD
    XPA Thicker three-spoke sports steering wheel in smooth leather
    Smaller wheel diameter, rounded centre and contoured rim with thumb rests; smooth leather finish in interior colour: thicker steering wheel rim (2.2a) (with cross-stitched seam), airbag module (2.2b), steering wheel hub cover (2.2g).

I'am still confused

Quote:
    Trundle996 said:
    Description from Exclusive Program CD
    XPA Thicker three-spoke sports steering wheel in smooth leather
    Smaller wheel diameter, rounded centre and contoured rim with thumb rests; smooth leather finish in interior colour: thicker steering wheel rim (2.2a) (with cross-stitched seam), airbag module (2.2b), steering wheel hub cover (2.2g).

I'am still confused

That sounds like they took 2 996 options (CPZ--thicker steering wheel, and XPA--steering wheel with leather rim, airbag and hub cover), and combined them into 1 option for the 997 (XPA--thicker sport steering wheel, with leather rim, airbag and hub cover). If so--and make a note in your diary--Porsche actually reduced the cost of something!!

hrm!!! OK, anyone has a picture, maybe from the execlusive CD?

Re: Cause of confusion clarified. (I think!)

Quote:
    poursha said:
    That sounds like they took 2 996 options (CPZ--thicker steering wheel, and XPA--steering wheel with leather rim, airbag and hub cover), and combined them into 1 option for the 997 (XPA--thicker sport steering wheel, with leather rim, airbag and hub cover).

I did a little reading, and this is what I came up with:

996: XPA = "3-spoke sport steering wheel leather", where leather means that air bag cover is leather-trimmed instead of plastic. Rim would be leather covered anyway, even without "XPA" spec. To get hub covered in leather you would have to order some other code?! My research didn't take me that far.

997: XPA = "3-spoke sport steering wheel smooth leather padded (rim)", but I don't know what the situation is with the hub cover.

Hmmm, maybe I promised too much when I wrote that header above.

Now you all have _my_ head spinning. I just ordered a 997 s. /w full leather. I added option 459 (490.00) which I believe to be the center hub in leather.
    I'm still getting the standard 997 s steering wheel. Is there a better option ? The multi function doesn't do it for me. Any pics of other options ?

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    poursha said:
    That sounds like they took 2 996 options (CPZ--thicker steering wheel, and XPA--steering wheel with leather rim, airbag and hub cover), and combined them into 1 option for the 997 (XPA--thicker sport steering wheel, with leather rim, airbag and hub cover).

I did a little reading, and this is what I came up with:

996: XPA = "3-spoke sport steering wheel leather", where leather means that air bag cover is leather-trimmed instead of plastic. Rim would be leather covered anyway, even without "XPA" spec. To get hub covered in leather you would have to order some other code?! My research didn't take me that far.

997: XPA = "3-spoke sport steering wheel smooth leather padded (rim)", but I don't know what the situation is with the hub cover.

Hmmm, maybe I promised too much when I wrote that header above.

XPA for the 996 includes leather covering for steering wheel rim, air bag cover and hub. As you said, all steering wheels have leather rim, so this option adds leather air bag cover and hub cover in leather. The order guide lists the 3 items and also gives item numbers that reference the interior sketch.

For 997, it's anybodys guess what XPA is!! As I said above, it's as clear as mud...

Quote:
    peecarfan said:
    Now you all have _my_ head spinning. I just ordered a 997 s. /w full leather. I added option 459 (490.00) which I believe to be the center hub in leather.
    I'm still getting the standard 997 s steering wheel. Is there a better option ? The multi function doesn't do it for me. Any pics of other options ?

The standard "S" steering wheel is the "sports" with the round center
    Option 435 for Carrera Three-spoke sports steering wheel in leather
    (grained look leather)

If a (full) leather interior is ordered, all leather parts will have a smooth finish.

Option 460 Three-spoke sports steering wheel in smooth leather* $740
    Smaller wheel diameter, rounded centre and contoured rim with thumb rests; smooth leather finish in interior colour: steering wheel rim (2.2a) (with cross-stitched seam), airbag module (2.2b).

Option 459 Three-spoke steering wheel in smooth leather* $490
    Smooth leather finish in interior colour: steering wheel rim (2.2a) (with cross-stitched seam) and airbag module (2.2b).

Better change your order quick for as I read the info 459 gets you the non "sports" with triangular center

460 is the sports wheel. but full leather gets you smooth leather on wheel for free.
    The question remains is there a leather air bag cover...perhaps not.

This is SO confusing

I am so confused to the point I'm dizzy - can someone just get us a picture of option XPA?

I think I got it figured out....
    Standard interiors get grained-look leather as standard:
    shift lever, steering wheel rim, handbrake lever grip, lid of the storage bin in the center console, lid of the door storage bin and door handle. The center section of the seats as well as the side padding and headrests of the front seats are upholstered in leather.

Interior Leather (Full)
    If a leather interior is ordered, all leather parts will have a smooth finish.
    leather. A-pillar/windscreen frame trim, B-pillar trim, C-pillar trim, rear wall lining, front of the dashboard incl. integrated airbag cover, upper part of the dashboard incl. instrument cluster cover, steering wheel rim, door trims, front of the door handle, lid of the door storage bin, lid of the storage bin in the center console, shift/handbrake lever, center section of the front seats, sides of the front seats, center section of the rear seats, sides of the rear seats.
    The only Sport Steering wheel option for full leather is:
    XPA

Doesn't look thicker than the standard and the thumb rests are the same !!

<The only Sport Steering wheel option for full leather is:
    XPA>
    Maybe not. according to my dealer, who called PCNA today, the option 460 ($740) will get me the airbag covered in leather.
    It doesn't seem right to me.I bought the S, added the leather..but they insist that's what it takes.
    maybe the wheel will be covered in 2 layers of leather <g>

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690639 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409874 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256083 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235337 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65723 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4739 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858537 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774816 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM