Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Phone module now available in US

Option 666
    Phone Module for PCM
    $960

Phone module for PCM allows users with a GSM phone to insert a SIM card and use the PCM as a hands-free telephone.

Re: Phone module now available in US

I wish Porsche had incorporated Bluetooth as well. GSM (Cingular/AT&T/T-Mobile) isn't as big as CDMA (Verizon & Sprint) in the US and CDMA doesn't use SIM cards. More and more phones are incorporating Bluetooth. It would have been cheaper to incorporate a Bluetooth interface that simply links the phone to a microphone & the car's speakers and left the radio communication to the phone itself rather than making us spend so much on in essence a dedicated in-car cellular phone.

To my knowledge, Porsche didn't incorporate Bluetooth for three reasons:
    1. the manufacturer of the PCM system doesn't offer a perfect solution
    2. Bluetooth has some security flaws which could be exploited by people with "vicious minds"
    3. radio waves "radiation", there are lots of passionate discussions going on right now in Europe regarding mobile phones, WLan, Bluetooth, etc. emitting radio waves at higher frequencies (900 Mhz, 1800 Mhz, 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz).

And I'm not quite sure but I think only BMW actually offers a Bluetooth option and I'm not sure if this option will have a future.

I know that CDMA is available almost everywhere in the US but the US moves towards GSM, even if they use different frequencies like 850 MHz and the more popular 1900 MHz.
    Japan is actually the only other country not to use GSM.
    GSM is available everywhere else in the world, including Cuba, Iraq, Iran and Syria. I think it is a great achievement for GSM to make it possible to roam almost worldwide, in my opinion CDMA is almost dead in a longterm run. 3G is the next thing (called UMTS in Germany), it is already available in lots of countries (incl. Japan) and I hope they find a standard for roaming, this would be just great.
    Not to forget the 3 satellite phone systems Inmarsat, Iridium and Thuraja.

Quote:
    RC said:
    GSM is available everywhere else in the world, including Cuba, Iraq, Iran and Syria.

Hmmm. I wonder if anyone's developing a GSM telephone module for the Humvee yet?

I don't think CDMA is going to die with China building its network based on that technology. With such a populated country hungry for this technology, it will be around a while. True about all the radio waves but those are in the car regardless of whether the phone or the GSM module is sending/receiving. For the security issues, I think that just like the situation of a dedicated car thief being able to take your car no matter how good your alarm security system is, people could hack anything however the likelihood of it happening while you're driving 60mph engaged in a Bluetooth call connection between phone and car is very unlikely. Honda (Acura) has incorporated Bluetooth in their TL and RL cars and it works really well. Not sure about BMW. Maybe some enterprising person out there will come up with a Bluetooth module for the 997. It would be better than the Porsche solution because it would let you use both GSM and CDMA handsets as long as the handset was Bluetooth compatible.

Awesome...I'm going to try to add it tomorrow to my Jan build...especially since the carbon packages are not available...Grrr.

Quote:
    Jeff (in SF) said:
    I don't think CDMA is going to die with China building its network based on that technology.

China already has GSM for many years now and the new technology they introduce is 3G now because it is the logical step up from GSM. There are already dual mode (GSM/3G) phones available in China and other countries, some of them even offer tri-band GSM capability.
    CDMA2000 (3G CDMA) is still uncertain in China, even if it had huge success in South Korea due to the previous CDMA95 system. CDMA only put a foot on the ground in China because the government wanted it to. People don't really want it, GSM handsets are much cheaper and GSM is widely available.

Of course there is a chance for CDMA in China and with such a huge population, CDMA might have success anyway, especially if the governemt strongly promotes CDMA and lowers rates below GSM rates.

And China also introduced dual mode handsets which have GSM and CDMA at the same time, so people can choose the best from both systems.
    Right now CDMA has not even 20% of the customers the GSM network has, so I'm not sure it will be really a competition for GSM. Especially not after the GSM network introduces 3G. And although the chinese government really pushes the CDMA network and promotes it, there are every month 30% more GSM subscribers than CDMA subscribers.

So maybe the dual mode handsets GSM/CDMA have a bright future but considering the rest of the world, GSM rules right now.

Just wondering, how does this phone module function (esp. since I just ordered it). I have a CDMA phone currently and I am not familiar with SIM cards.

You stick in the SIM card, and then PCM can operatie as a phone? Is ther a built in microphone? Can PCM store phone numbers? Will it automatically mute the stereo system if an incoming call or outgoing call is made?

Sorry for the stupid questions in advance...

Quote:
    alin2 said:
    Just wondering, how does this phone module function (esp. since I just ordered it). I have a CDMA phone currently and I am not familiar with SIM cards.

You stick in the SIM card, and then PCM can operatie as a phone? Is ther a built in microphone? Can PCM store phone numbers? Will it automatically mute the stereo system if an incoming call or outgoing call is made?

Sorry for the stupid questions in advance...

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid answers occasionally.

The answer to all your above questions is "yes".

Oops! That's not a stupid answer, is it?

Thanks Fritz! I guess I'll just have to get a GSM phone for the car <sigh>. I make outgoing phonecalls mainly since the hospitals usually just page me rather than call my cell phone...

I've always wondered....

WHY do Dr.s get paged instead of just having the Hospital call them? Seems like and extra step? Hostpital needs you so they page you then you have to check page an call back instead of just answering a phone call... never understood that.....

Re: I've always wondered....

Hi John,

Tradition? No seriously, I am often in locations where a cell phone doesn't get a signal, but a pager will work such as a cardiac cath lab, etc. BUt, some MDs are changing over...

Re: I've always wondered....

Ahhhhhhhhhh ! I didn't even know they were different technologies.. Makes more sense now...

Quote:
    RC said:
    To my knowledge, Porsche didn't incorporate Bluetooth for three reasons:
    1. the manufacturer of the PCM system doesn't offer a perfect solution
    2. Bluetooth has some security flaws which could be exploited by people with "vicious minds"
    3. radio waves "radiation", there are lots of passionate discussions going on right now in Europe regarding mobile phones, WLan, Bluetooth, etc. emitting radio waves at higher frequencies (900 Mhz, 1800 Mhz, 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz).

And I'm not quite sure but I think only BMW actually offers a Bluetooth option and I'm not sure if this option will have a future.

I know that CDMA is available almost everywhere in the US but the US moves towards GSM, even if they use different frequencies like 850 MHz and the more popular 1900 MHz.
    Japan is actually the only other country not to use GSM.
    GSM is available everywhere else in the world, including Cuba, Iraq, Iran and Syria. I think it is a great achievement for GSM to make it possible to roam almost worldwide, in my opinion CDMA is almost dead in a longterm run. 3G is the next thing (called UMTS in Germany), it is already available in lots of countries (incl. Japan) and I hope they find a standard for roaming, this would be just great.
    Not to forget the 3 satellite phone systems Inmarsat, Iridium and Thuraja.

Respectfully, RC, I'd be willing to bet on the first reason with reasons 2 and 3 being just BS excuses.

Both Honda and Toyota have already broadly implemented Bluetooth in their cars. It is the only logical approach to integrating telephones into cars. I would predict that every other car company will follow over time with the Japanese leading.

Reasons for lagging might (I speculate) include: less leverage with the electronics vendor or reliance on a less sophisticated vendor in the case of a lower volume manufacturer like Porsche.

A few observations:

CDMA is not at risk of obsolescence and is the dominant standard in Porsche's largest market - the USA, and a fast growing market: China. Japan uses another non-GSM standard.

GSM service providers will not provide a cloned SIM, thus requiring a second phone number, additional subscriber cost and the need to transcribe phone directories between SIMs.

New G3 transmission standards are evolving and in the USA certainly people are used to changing services between standards (e.g. between CDMA, GSM and iDEN). And if you work for a company (even one you own!) this decision may be outside your direct control.

Bluetooth resolves all these issues. It doesn't matter what standard phone you have. You keep your one number. You instantly have access to your phone directory. You have no additional subscription cost. Anyone can drive the car and their phone is automatically integrated.

It is win-win-win and trying to integrate a GSM phone is lose-lose-lose. Especially when the car may well outlive the GSM standard.

It has nothing to do with security. It has nothing to do with safety. It is all to do with Porsche's electronics vendor - I would strongly suggest.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    762348 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435305 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260485 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257533 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80938 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5321 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872212 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807585 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM