Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 992 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020)

schmoell:

I have the same impression. Even at max RPM one thinks, that the engine could easily rev higher. But there is more than the engine. Suspension, brakes, interior, gearbox are flawless too.

There is a lot of talk here about the Turbo being boring and I tend to agree somehow.  At low rpm it sounds and feels like an everyday car, but when you push it, it becomes an animal which is also very capable on a track.  I can not think of any other car with these properties. As others have said already: If you can afford just one car, then it's the Turbo. If you can afford more than one it's likely not.

While some say a turbo is boring you could also say a Ferrai or Lambo is full of flaws. It is all a question of priorities. A turbo is refined and perfect but less exotic. But a Ferrari or Lambo is inferior in many aspects but more exotic. All a question of taste and experience.

schmoell:

I have the same impression. Even at max RPM one thinks, that the engine could easily rev higher. But there is more than the engine. Suspension, brakes, interior, gearbox are flawless too.

Yes, but that basic hardware is shared among other models as well (not unique to Turbo, right?)...

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

BiTurbo:
    Topspeed:
    BiTurbo:

Actually, there is a big problem with 911 Turbo pricing when comparing to its rivals:

1. It looks like any 911 with a wider body and a spoiler yes

Isn't that the appeal of a 911 Turbo? A sleeper.

You can use it in town and nobody notices you. Every time you pull over at a gas station nobody annoys you with 1000 questions about your car or what you do for a living.

Yes, but it's no longer the affordable sleeper Smiley

That may be true if you must have the S version, but the base Turbo overlaps in price with well optioned C4S cars, and the majority of owners, especially in NA, do not need the S extra power to feel they have an amazing car. Our conclusion last year was that it was the well optioned standard 911 that was the poor value, with the slightly anemic 3litre motor.  Our lightly optioned base Turbo, even splurging on PTS, was under EUR 150k - hard to argue that is poor value.

--

2017 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2019 Porsche 911 Turbo

4trac:
    BiTurbo:
    Topspeed:
    BiTurbo:

Actually, there is a big problem with 911 Turbo pricing when comparing to its rivals:

You can use it in town and nobody notices you. Every time you pull over at a gas station nobody annoys you with 1000 questions about your car or what you do for a living.

That may be true if you must have the S version, but the base Turbo overlaps in price with well optioned C4S cars, and the majority of owners, especially in NA, do not need the S extra power to feel they have an amazing car. Our conclusion last year was that it was the well optioned standard 911 that was the poor value, with the slightly anemic 3litre motor.  Our lightly optioned base Turbo, even splurging on PTS, was under EUR 150k - hard to argue that is poor value.

Prior to purchasing my '15 TT (new & not S) I drove both S and plain 'ol TT back to back & and could tell no difference in power - the only thing that stood out were the brakes -  ceramics definitely had more "bite". That along with I would never own a car with centerlocks ( S had 5 lug as a no charge option, but there was non existent stock in my region). Price wise, when all was said and done, I spent about $20K less for the TT. My '15TT had an MSRP of $173K.

Then......After the fact I became aware of what the HP difference was all about  between my TT and the TTS:

RE: '14 -'16 Turbo models v Turbo S models......

Excellence Magazine article - 12/13 issue (pp 62) interview w/August Achleitner, director of 911 product line .....
    He stated the '14 Turbo S motor (USA) is mechanically unchanged from the base Turbo,
    relying purely on an ECU software remap for its extra power & torque.

I came out of a loaded '13 C2S after 18K trouble free miles - good car.

No comparison in the drive/power between the two cars and after 4+ years still not bored. The new one is tempting but that price.........

f21ff4c9-d13c-4a86-b0db-a1efe764bd9f.jpeg

--

2015 Jet Black TT

Carlos from Spain:
    BiTurbo:

6. For an extra 100k over the Carrera S, all I'm getting is an extra 200 hp + 270 Nm with a Turbo S logo in the back heart

I think this is the biggest problem with the Turbo, now that the Carrera has  a Turbo engine with plenty of torque and livelier character as well as better sounding most likely, it us hard to justify 100k, a 100k, for roughly the same car inside and out just with more power that most won't use on public street save for 1% of time they drive it.

I hear this a lot, and used to think the same, until I drove (and last year, purchased) a Turbo.  Now I would argue there is a very large difference between the real world feel and usable power between the two.  The problem with the Carrera cars is the downsized 3 litres; you can imagine if it were NA it would have quite weak torque until high in the rev range.  But even with the now standard turbo, the 3 litre engine is still weak at low revs, where in real world urban driving you spend a lot of time.  On a track, no problem as you should always be shifting to stay in peak power, but in normal driving you always go through a rev range where it feels worse than the 997, until the turbo kicks in, to me nearly 3000 rpm.       

In comparison the Turbo has always been tuned for peak torque low down, by 2000 rpm, and this along with the full 3.8 displacement, means it feels alive and quick at virtually any revs. THIS is the engine with the "livelier character " of the two. And to be fair RT turbo owners have always said this, and our Kansas rep Leawood always maintained that he uses the 911Turbo power every drive, in short bursts where its character comes through - and he is right. As my wife notes from the first year of Turbo ownership- it just explodes in any gear or any revs, its not fussy, just fast.  

Sound? Always subjective but not that different, the Turbo more bassy, neither anywhere near GT cars, which is what sound buffs should be buying. 

--

2017 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2019 Porsche 911 Turbo

For the longest time, a turbo or a turbo S is always in my garage, everything else come and go, be it Ferrari Lamborghini McLaren or even Porsche GT cars. 

It's the one car that feels special to me. Jack of all trades. It can be an animal or a pussy cat, it can be exciting and also boring. It behaves exactly how I wanted it at that moment in time. it doesn't dictate what I need to do, it's the other way around.

The other cars, all are one trick pony. They only do one thing great, that's getting me excited. But perhaps I want a normal day for a change? They won't let me do that. Either they hated it when I drag them along at low revs, or complaints about stop and go traffic, etc. Or their wings is getting in the way. Or the low front lip. Or the suspension is way too stiff on the street. Or the weather didn't cooperate with me. There is always something that makes them not quite good enough. 

A turbo/turbo S doesn't excel at one thing, it just does everything so god damn well. Sunny day? Perfect time to drive it. Raining? Another perfect time to take it out. Snow day? Perfect day to cruise around also. 

I have searched high and low to find a good replacement, the Ferrari FF came close, but that car is still way too flashy and I can't sneak around with that exhaust. The answer to that search is always another turbo S. 

--

Nick, you make good case for the turbo.

But at the end of the day, it’s a 911 4S but faster. Is that worth paying a $100,000 more for the car? I guess to some, it is. To most, it isn’t. Also, at the turbo price point, you’re looking at McLaren type depreciation. 😳 

--

When you're going through hell.....keep going.

Carlos from Spain:

Compared to it's rivals though, aftersales service is beyond comparison to its rivals though (Mac, Ferrari, Lambo, etc), so this is a point for the 911 Turbo imo, compounded by its overall reliability during ownership.

I had a fault message pop up on the dash the other day, called the dealership that I had a trip with the car the next day, told me to bring the car in without an appointment, drove just 5 miles from home to the dealership, they plugged the car to the computer, fortunately it was just a glitch and was able to do the trip with it, service doesn't get better than that, priceless. Now if I had one of the competitor cars...Smiley

In the end, it's supply and demand that rules so if they can get away with that price then it is the right price, were will see...

I wish this was the case with my P dealer, I'd secure a CGT and 7GT2 RS immediately, but the other two (F + L) with 2 gigantic N/a engines are the ones that have been super efficient, whenever a problem occurs (mostly software glitch the first month) or parts needed to be ordered. Not that I had anything major replaced, but my cars were always delivered within 2 - 5 days, depending on parts availability and installation.

There's also the wow factor, it wears off quickly with the Turbo vs GT models.

Just saw a 992 Carrera S Convertible with a price tag of 189k. I mean c'mon... enlightened

We got offered a 991.2 GT3 factory car with only 3000 km, all wearing parts and many other stuff are completely new. Lease offer is not really great but also not bad for a Porsche GT car. My wife likes the car a lot but I think it would be better to wait for the 992 GT3 or 992 GT3 Touring Cab (she always wants a cab and will probably be disappointed with a coupe after a while).

We'll see but I think the 992 Turbo S Convertible dream has vanished in her. Too expensive.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

4trac:
    BiTurbo:
    Topspeed:
    BiTurbo:

Consider yourself lucky  Smiley

Our debate here is the pricing for 992.

I'm not doubting the quality, but the quality of work I get from my dealer (which I prefer not to list it here)

I always rate Porsche as #1 when speaking of braking, some even get irritated on F + L boards  Smiley

MKSGR:

Even 20 years ago the V8 Ferrari and the turbo where in the identical price range. Same as today... Everything got more expensive, in Italy and in Germany :-)

I believe Porsche got greedy and they realized there was high demand and so they decided to push as hard as they can, from production numbers to highest msrp possible. Then they started to play the Ferrari game with their GT models and long waiting list, which turned out to be complete bs and pushed some buyers and made the switch to a different brand Smiley

From 2011 - 2019 Porsche sold 233,540 units - 991

Ferrari managed to sell 9,000 units in 2018 and 10,000 units in 2019

Porsche is slowly closing the pricing gap here, for basically the same car (mass-produced) with a mild upgrade and a stroked engine from the base Carrera.

Turbo 3.8L (Bore x Stroke) = 102 x 76.4
    Carrera 3.0L (Bore x Stroke) = 91 x 76.4

Then there's the cost-cutting shift from dry-sump to an integrated-dry-sump system, which came to an end with the Turbo in 2008.

For an extra 100k (200 hp + 270 Nm) out of the same engine over the Carrera S, I'd call that a manipulation Smiley

BiTurbo:
    MKSGR:

Even 20 years ago the V8 Ferrari and the turbo where in the identical price range. Same as today... Everything got more expensive, in Italy and in Germany :-)

I believe Porsche got greedy and they realized there was high demand and so they decided to push as hard as they can, from production numbers to highest msrp possible. Then they started to play the Ferrari game with their GT models and long waiting list, which turned out to be complete bs and pushed some buyers and made the switch to a different brand Smiley

But why? I can still recall that around 2001 the Ferrari V8 was around 125k Euro and the 996 turbo as well. Today, both cars are twice as expensive. But Porsche did not increase their prices more than Ferrari Smiley

MKSGR:
    BiTurbo:
    MKSGR:

But why? I can still recall that around 2001 the Ferrari V8 was around 125k Euro and the 996 turbo as well. Today, both cars are twice as expensive. But Porsche did not increase their prices more than Ferrari Smiley

Compare the performance of a F8 Tributo to 992 Turbo S performance: The Tributo is certainly faster straight line.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

RC:
    MKSGR:
    BiTurbo:
    MKSGR:

Compare the performance of a F8 Tributo to 992 Turbo S performance: The Tributo is certainly faster straight line.I am not so sure that the F8 has a better performance overall. Straight line the F8 should be marginally faster. But in other categories... I am not sure. Same class of performance overall, I would expect. The 720s is faster though. 

The Tributo is a beast, no power issues like early production 488 GTB.

--

IMO 991 TT or TTS have something that no other brand has...low profile super car, and the one that recognizes typically are not offensive on the comments...

You can not have a Ferrari as your only car , all year long . Even less so a Lambo or a Mclaren . The only other cars ( in that price range ) one could drive all year and have a unique car would be something like a Bentley , maybe an Aston .

If you privilege sportiness , reliability and day to day practicality , there is nothing that can beat a 911 Turbo .  You also fly under the radar look vise , which is most appreciated on a DD car .  

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm -- 991.2 GT3 RS 

I always tell my wife that she is like a Porsche Turbo S, i.e. the best choice if you can only have one wife / car! smiley The TT can be driven in winter, in summer, on the track, for vacation trips, some luggage space is there etc.

nberry:

Nick, you make good case for the turbo.

But at the end of the day, it’s a 911 4S but faster. Is that worth paying a $100,000 more for the car? I guess to some, it is. To most, it isn’t. Also, at the turbo price point, you’re looking at McLaren type depreciation. 😳 

Porsche pricing is getting crazy that's for sure, they are getting stupidly expensive as compared to the more 'exotic' brands.

But if you look at it this way: X amount for a daily sports car says a 488, plus X amount for a Sunday morning mountain carver, say a GT3RS, plus X amount for foul weather car say a Bentley, then buying a turbo to be all 3 actually saves you moneySmiley 

It's certainly true a 992 turbo S is similar to a 4S but with more power and much more expensive, but at the end of the day you will be buying a "turbo/turbo S", the badge that Porsche put on their range topper. The name simply stands for Porsche's best: 911 turbo S, Panamera turbo S, Cayenne turbo S, Taycan turbo S. 

You know the story, I had been bugging Porsche to make a Targa turbo, they said jokingly with all our 911s being turbo-ed now, I could get a Targa GTS and have my Targa turbo now. I knew and they knew it's not the same, it's missing the turbo badge. The turbo badge stands for much more than just the turbocharger, it stands for the Porsche Excellence.

It's like whiskey, Macallan 18 yrs is nice, but the 30 yr will always be better. Is it worth it to buy the 30yr instead of the 18yr when they came from the same cask figuratively speaking? Yup!

--

Josef:

I always tell my wife that she is like a Porsche Turbo S, i.e. the best choice if you can only have one wife / car! smiley The TT can be driven in winter, in summer, on the track, for vacation trips, some luggage space is there etc.

Smiley 

“Seven things the new 911 Turbo's arrival teaches us” (Top Gear)

Porsche's latest 911 Turbo S arrives with much power, and much news...

1. There’ll be a lightweight package

The new 911 Turbo wants to be sportier than before. A tall ask, you might think, but recent Turbos have lent more towards being grand tourers with outrageous acceleration, particularly alongside cheaper 911 GT3s. This one wants to come with a bit more handling nous, though, especially if you spec the optional, 10mm-lower sports suspension.

“Another option later in the year will make the car lighter to emphasise its very sporty side,” says product line boss Frank Walliser, describing a new ‘lightweight sport package’.

“There’ll be less sound insulation to reduce weight, and other small bits and pieces that can change the character of the car.” Expect stuff like fabric door pulls and for the rear seats to end up in the bin, and also for this lightweight pack to make it into 911 Carreras too, to replicate the joy of the potentially defunct Carrera T line.

2. The 911 Turbo now gets a Wet mode

Just like other 992s, the rotary dial of fortune will offer up numerous driving modes, including a Wet function. Anyone who’s driven a previous 911 Turbo will knows its barely fallible four-wheel-drive traction acts as its own Wet mode, but nevertheless, the latest Turbo S will get rain sensing functions – including microphones in the wheel arches to listen for the splish-splash of puddles – that’ll try and coerce you into switching the car into a safer, less frantic setting when the heavens open.

3. More power will (inevitably) come

The Turbo S gets a brand new 3.8-litre flat-six engine with 650PS, aka 641 old fashioned horsepower. This is enough for 0-62mph in 2.7 seconds, and Porsche is famously reserved with its claims. Low to mid twos? Perhaps. But this car will live for six or more years. So more powerful it must get, young reader.

“Where is the maximum?” says Walliser. “Difficult to say. As engineers we know we never stop. In another five years we might come up with a new interpretation with more horses. I can promise you we don’t stop.”

4. There's a reason the Turbo S is here first

Porsche has shown us the top-drawer Turbo S before the stock Turbo. This is deliberate, for around 75 per cent of sales of the last 911 Turbo were the higher-powered S. We’ll still get a ‘regular’ car, mind – Walliser assuring us its performance won’t be the least bit ‘regular’ – and it’ll keep the trick suspension and four-wheel steering of the Turbo S.

“Rear-wheel steering is very important to make the car drive how it does today,” he says. “Accessibility to performance is important and we will not kick this out; it would be too extreme to make it an option package.”

5. It won’t be a hybrid any time soon

Unlike other Turbo S models in Porsche’s current range, it’s not a hybrid. And nor will it be for some time.

“The electrification of a 911 is a very tricky point,” says Walliser. “If I consider the footprint, the 2+2 seats, the big trunk and the engine in the rear, it’s really difficult to bring in proper electrification without destroying the character and shape of a 911.

“I’m not ready to put another 100kg into the car. It’s the last car that we’ll fully electrify, and maybe the last of all the cars in the world to be electrified will be in a 911. If we can do it, it will not be before 2030.”

6. A GTS will follow, and outsell, the Turbo

The 992 has been on sale little over a year, and is still very much in its infancy. Following this car will be the 911 that sits betwixt Carrera and Turbo, the GTS options haul special.

“The GTS is extremely successful in all the markets,” says Walliser. “It’s the number one seller of all 911 models in Europe. In the US it’s a bit different, they’re a bit more price sensitive.

“But we will continue along the road of the GTS model in 911, there are not so many surprises on that side.”

7. But it won’t get a naturally-aspirated 4.0 like the 718 GTS

The Boxster and Cayman GTS just got a naturally aspirated flat-six once again, a sonorous 4.0-litre replacing the duff-sounding 2.5 flat-four turbo they’ve used in recent years. But don’t expect that engine to slot into any 911s.

“For sure, that would be nice thinking, but at the moment I can’t see a way to do so,” says Walliser. “It’s a question of ‘where’s the market?’ I’m sure we can see it selling in the UK, but the model must work worldwide. It’s a clear no at the moment.”

Rest assured, though, that the next 911 GT3 gets a race-drived naturally-aspirated flat six…

Link: https://www.topgear.com/car-news/geneva-motor-show-2020/seven-things-new-911-turbos-arrival-teaches-us 

BF822CAF-50E5-4C47-9B23-F36F9B8F5A9C.gif

Magnesium or carbon roof, carbon hood, carbon sway bars, 918 seats, magnesium or carbon wheels, lighter windows.

Not quite sure they will go back seat delete and deleting insulation. 

But the best thing is that they FINALLY mirrored up the turbochargers. Not sure why it took them so long, for the volume they ordered it will cost them next to nothing. Hot rodders have been doing custom turbocharger installations for the longest time and the left turbo mirrors the right turbo, looks better and also easier to routing ducting. 

--

"Porsche has shown us the top-drawer Turbo S before the stock Turbo. This is deliberate, for around 75 per cent of sales of the last 911 Turbo were the higher-powered S"

I'm not aware of this figures...anyone remenber the price diference between both versions on 991?

pgouveia:

"Porsche has shown us the top-drawer Turbo S before the stock Turbo. This is deliberate, for around 75 per cent of sales of the last 911 Turbo were the higher-powered S"

I'm not aware of this figures...anyone remenber the price diference between both versions on 991?

The price difference is not that great after you factored in all the standard equipment that comes with the turbo S as oppose to a turbo. 

Once you add all the extras that came standard with the turbo S onto a turbo, the difference is less than $10k if that much.

Once I did a back of napkin math comparing my Exclusive turbo S with a standard turbo S. It ended up with Porsche giving the extra 27hp for free. 

a turbo is only a good deal if one go REALLY light on options. But even a bare turbo will not be a bare bone car, it has standard a lot of stuff that's extra on a 4S already. 

--

MKSGR:
    BiTurbo:
    MKSGR:

You do realize the 911 is no longer an exclusive car, but a mass produced one with a crazy price inflation, that comes with a downgraded engine which is no longer affiliated to its motorsport cars for the Turbo / Turbo S Smiley

Mass produced cars shouldn't be priced close to limited or exclusive cars, but because they have buyers and a clever marketing department, I guess they can get away with it easily, especially with newcomers.

100k over the current Carrera S because of  the badge ? Seriously ?  Smiley  Treachery at its best, if you ask me.

The fate of the current 911 reminds me of this longest selling 4x4 from Toyota, until greed interfered and sales started to decline.

I can spend over 200k on a Ferrari / Lambo / McLaren, but I hesitate, hold back and think twice, whenever I hear of a current 911/992 pricing  Smiley

Porsche lost lots of customers to Lamborghini and McLaren, even some to Ferrari. This is a fact, I know at least over a dozen of people, not even talking about some of our users here, who were longtime 911 drivers and now drive something else. I really love Porsche, I still feel connected to the brand and I still have some very good contacts to Porsche but I cannot spend money for cars I do not enjoy (anymore). Smiley 

I get it, the 992 Turbo S is supposed to be a stealth super sports car and it certainly is but even the optional sports exhaust doesn't really sound great, so what's the point?! 

--

I wish it were offered in a manual.  

RC:

I get it, the 992 Turbo S is supposed to be a stealth super sports car and it certainly is but even the optional sports exhaust doesn't really sound great, so what's the point?! 

You have the new widescreen infotainment system to keep you entertained and a braun shaver, dream come true options in the flagship 911  Smiley

You know, that's a 918 styled shifter, not a braun shaver. smiley

--

Interesting reason why the big jump in HP.

porsche-911-turbo-power-increase

--

When you're going through hell.....keep going.

He didn't mention it, but with the new symmetric intake and exhaust system for both cylinder banks, the air flow in and out of the engine is much better, easier to make extra HP.

The intercoolers have been moved from the rear fender wells to on top of the engine. reducing the mass of intake air that get stacked up and make the engine more responsive also.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688516 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408689 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255520 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234773 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65388 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4634 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857566 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773352 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM