Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 992 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020)

Nobody mentioning the sound or better said...the lack of? 👀

Are we already assuming that the Turbo S is supposed to sound that way? 🥺

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

RC:

Nobody mentioning the sound or better said...the lack of? 👀

Are we already assuming that the Turbo S is supposed to sound that way? 🥺

Sounded terrible in the video posted on Road & Track cheeky

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

What happened with the base Turbo??yes

duccio:

I really like the design and the lines of the exterior, but unfortunately the interior is tremendous, I hoped that after publishing the 992 carrera they had understood that the gearshift is ugly ... we hope in the restyling ... in any case nice car

This optional aluminium gearstick looks like is an improvement IMO. Little taller and less plasticky.

iris.jpg

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

schmoell:

Thanks for this reference. FWIW:  unladen weight of the 992 is 1640kg (that is without fuel & passenger ). My 991.2 Turbo S is 1675kg incl passenger & fuel, but without sunroof. My guess is, that the 992 gained around 70kg

Porsche says the car got approx. 45kg heavier Smiley

Rodo_RS2:

What happened with the base Turbo??yes

Will be launched a bit later Smiley

MKSGR:
    schmoell:

Thanks for this reference. FWIW:  unladen weight of the 992 is 1640kg (that is without fuel & passenger ). My 991.2 Turbo S is 1675kg incl passenger & fuel, but without sunroof. My guess is, that the 992 gained around 70kg

Porsche says the car got approx. 45kg heavier Smiley

That isn't too bad given the heavier gearbox. BTW:  the Turbos can now be configured. I ended up with 232k€ for the Coupe without going crazy 

Around 240k for the Cab...my wife still seems to want one but I doubt the tax consultant will give his OK. Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

1/4 million for a 911 enlightened no PAG, this is not right.

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual, 991 GT3 2014(sold)

Cayenne GTS 2014

the-missile:

Notwithstanding the (high) price, I assume that in Germany in particular, lease offers will certainly find business people to sign contracts.

On the other hand, there has been such a (marvelous) technical development in recent years, I wonder what a "fair" price would be for a 2.7 sec / 100 km/h car... At least, people have a choice, and our beloved "driver focussed sports car" manufacturer from Zuffenhausen caters for everybody's needs... Smiley

d997h:
    the-missile:

Notwithstanding the (high) price, I assume that in Germany in particular, lease offers will certainly find business people to sign contracts.

On the other hand, there has been such a (marvelous) technical development in recent years, I wonder what a "fair" price would be for a 2.7 sec / 100 km/h car... At least, people have a choice, and our beloved "driver focussed sports car" manufacturer from Zuffenhausen caters for everybody's needs... Smiley

Indeed, the 911 Turbo S was always a very nice (stealth) business car. Depends on the lease offers though: Over 3000 EUR for a Turbo S? No way. If they can manage to get it below the 2500 EUR mark, it will be a success. Got offered the "old" 991.2 Turbo S last year for 1800 EUR a month (incl. VAT and no initial payment), this was quite OK for a car worth 220k EUR but this was the "old" model and there were special lease offers in place. 

On the other hand, for me, a Taycan Turbo S would make more sense (and I assume for many business people as well): 

1. "Tax" is only 0.5% instead the usual 1% of the cars list price value.

2. It is cheaper than the 911 Turbo S.

3. It promotes a green(er) image for your business.

Downside is the charging time and range.

--

RC:
    d997h:
    the-missile:

Indeed, the 911 Turbo S was always a very nice (stealth) business car. Depends on the lease offers though: Over 3000 EUR for a Turbo S? No way. If they can manage to get it below the 2500 EUR mark, it will be a success. Got offered the "old" 991.2 Turbo S last year for 1800 EUR a month (incl. VAT and no initial payment), this was quite OK for a car worth 220k EUR but this was the "old" model and there were special lease offers in place. 

Why should Porsche subsidize the 992 turbo? For those who appreciate the concept the price is like it is... All high-performance cars (Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren) are in this price range. Why should Porsche sell cheaper. Their product is outstanding - and while you could argue that a McLaren could substitute for a Ferrari or Lamborghini (or the other way round) this cannot be said about the turbo. The turbo is a unqiue product with extremely strong USPs Smiley It is not made for buyers who are looking for a bargain or cheap offers Smiley

Well, other mothers have beautiful daughters as well and the 911 Turbo S has entered a price range which is, in my opinion, a little bit exaggerated. Then, there is the Taycan Turbo S. I know, different product but it is, in my opinion, pretty close to what 911 Turbo S customers want or need. How many Turbo S customers track their car?!

Maybe I'm wrong, time will tell. Right now many potential customers seem to complain about the high lease cost of the Taycan (it seems that in Germany, most customers lease the Taycan).

--

MKSGR:

Why should Porsche subsidize the 992 turbo? For those who appreciate the concept the price is like it is... All high-performance cars (Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren) are in this price range. Why should Porsche sell cheaper. Their product is outstanding - and while you could argue that a McLaren could substitute for a Ferrari or Lamborghini (or the other way round) this cannot be said about the turbo. The turbo is a unqiue product with extremely strong USPs Smiley It is not made for buyers who are looking for a bargain or cheap offers Smiley

this is where most complains justify the gap of your explanation. Porsche is no Ferrari or Lambo, not even close. this is coming from die hard Porsche fan. Porsche is supposed to be the value for money competitor.Smiley since 991, this is not the case anymore.

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual, 991 GT3 2014(sold)

Cayenne GTS 2014

the-missile:
    MKSGR:

this is where most complains justify the gap of your explanation. Porsche is no Ferrari or Lambo, not even close. this is coming from die hard Porsche fan. Porsche is supposed to be the value for money competitor.Smiley since 991, this is not the case anymore.

Smiley

--

reginos:

For my liking the sport exhaust rear looks less complicated and less busy.

detail_M0P8_l_0.jpg

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

MUCH better!

the-missile:
    MKSGR:

Sorry to say but I disagree 100%... Same class of cars. In theory all these exotic cars are fascinating. But when you own and drive them you realize they all have their specific profile with pros and cons. Porsche has the most refined product. I am willing to spend the money when I get a unique product Smiley

the-missile:
    MKSGR:

At least with the Porsche, you could actually daily drive the dam thing. So you are actually getting more value for the money, miles wise.

VAG lost a lot of money in the emissions scandal.  They want to make up for it by fleecing the 911 and Taycan buyers.

Actually, there is a big problem with 911 Turbo pricing when comparing to its rivals:

1. It looks like any 911 with a wider body and a spoiler yes

2. The interior is identical to any 911

3. Warranty is still at 2 years or 4 years / 50,000 miles (US) ? and without  7-year service contract.

4. The Turbo engine is no longer a bespoke or as we remember the Me(t)zger Dry-Sump (RIP 2011) evolution, it is based on the smaller 3.0-liter “9A2 Evo” engine that powers the Carrera and Carrera S, which I believe many 'Jump in and start up the engine' buyers have no clue about it angry

5. It's slowly losing its identity with the increase in weight, size and wheelbase.

6. For an extra 100k over the Carrera S, all I'm getting is an extra 200 hp + 270 Nm with a Turbo S logo in the back heart

7. Production number will be higher with a higher depreciation.

8. Anyone who can afford a Ferrari / Lamborghini / McLaren, can also afford a more comfortable daily such as (MB, Audi, Lambo Urus, Bentley, RR etc....) and don't have to worry about scraping or potholes. Not that the 911 Turbo is an invincible car because of its AWD system and can make a 5 seconds jump, every time it senses a mayhem up ahead. I doubt the majority will be able to explore all that power in the 911 Turbo S - hence best daily drive broken heart

9. Some regions have the worst of the worst customer service / service center, if something breaks or needs a replacement. Waiting period could take from 4 weeks to 3 months. It could take another 3 - 4 visits and a lot of frustration till the damn part is fixed properly. I even brought this issue forward to Porsche Stuttgart and nothing has happened since then.

Price bump is indeed an issue for me and an absolute nightmare, whenever I have to take her in for its annual service.

My 0.02 cents.....

BiTurbo:

Actually, there is a big problem with 911 Turbo pricing when comparing to its rivals:

2. The interior is identical to any 911

3. Warranty is still at 2 years or 4 years / 50,000 miles (US) ? and without  7-year service contract.

4. The Turbo engine is no longer a bespoke or as we remember the Me(t)zger Dry-Sump (RIP 2011) evolution, it is based on the smaller 3.0-liter “9A2 Evo” engine that powers the Carrera and Carrera S, which I believe many 'Jump in and start up the engine' buyers have no clue about it angry

5. It's slowly losing its identity with the increase in weight, size and wheelbase.

6. For an extra 100k over the Carrera S, all I'm getting is an extra 200 hp + 270 Nm with a Turbo S logo in the back heart

7. Production number will be higher with a higher depreciation.

8. Anyone who can afford a Ferrari / Lamborghini / McLaren, can also afford a more comfortable daily such as (MB, Audi, Lambo Urus, Bentley, RR etc....) and don't have to worry about scraping or potholes. Not that the 911 Turbo is an invincible car because of its AWD system and can make a 5 seconds jump, every time it senses a mayhem up ahead. I doubt the majority will be able to explore all that power in the 911 Turbo S - hence best daily drive broken heart

9. Some regions have the worst of the worst customer service / service center, if something breaks or needs a replacement. Waiting period could take from 4 weeks to 3 months. It could take another 3 - 4 visits and a lot of frustration till the damn part is fixed properly. I even brought this issue forward to Porsche Stuttgart and nothing has happened since then.

Price bump is indeed an issue for me and an absolute nightmare, whenever I have to take her in for its annual service.

My 0.02 cents.....

+1 or +2

--

AM

BiTurbo:

Isn't that the purpose of a 911 Turbo? A sleeper.

You can use it in town and nobody notices you. Every time you pull over at a gas station nobody annoys you with 1000 questions about your car or what you do for a living.

Topspeed:
    BiTurbo:

Isn't that the appeal of a 911 Turbo? A sleeper.

You can use it in town and nobody notices you. Every time you pull over at a gas station nobody annoys you with 1000 questions about your car or what you do for a living.

Yes, but it's no longer the affordable sleeper Smiley

BiTurbo:
    Topspeed:
    BiTurbo:

Even 20 years ago the V8 Ferrari and the turbo where in the identical price range. Same as today... Everything got more expensive, in Italy and in Germany :-)

BiTurbo:

I think this is the biggest problem with the Turbo, now that the Carrera has  a Turbo engine with plenty of torque and livelier character as well as better sounding most likely, it us hard to justify 100k, a 100k, for roughly the same car inside and out just with more power that most won't use on public street save for 1% of time they drive it.

Compared to it's rivals though, aftersales service is beyond comparison to its rivals though (Mac, Ferrari, Lambo, etc), so this is a point for the 911 Turbo imo, compounded by its overall reliability during ownership.

I had a fault message pop up on the dash the other day, called the dealership that I had a trip with the car the next day, told me to bring the car in without an appointment, drove just 5 miles from home to the dealership, they plugged the car to the computer, fortunately it was just a glitch and was able to do the trip with it, service doesn't get better than that, priceless. Now if I had one of the competitor cars...Smiley

In the end, it's supply and demand that rules so if they can get away with that price then it is the right price, were will see...

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

MKSGR:
    BiTurbo:
    Topspeed:
    BiTurbo:

Even 20 years ago the V8 Ferrari and the turbo where in the identical price range. Same as today... Everything got more expensive, in Italy and in Germany :-)

But there is no inflation, none at all, according to the politicians and central bank types.... apart from all assets and luxury goods that is...

Carlos from Spain:
    BiTurbo:

I think this is the biggest problem with the Turbo, now that the Carrera has  a Turbo engine with plenty of torque and livelier character as well as better sounding most likely, it us hard to justify 100k, a 100k, for roughly the same car inside and out just with more power that most won't use on public street save for 1% of time they drive it.

Not to mention that you can go from a 365hp 911T (with the smallest and most responsive turbochargers and lowest gearing) to 520HP with only an exhaust and tune.

Of course, much more power available if you start with Carrera S or GTS...

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

A couple of month ago I met a guy who works for Porsche and does endurance testing in Nardo. He told me that they eventually find problems with almost every car, except for the Turbo, which is just flawless. This pretty much summarizes my service experience with the 991.2.   

schmoell:

A couple of month ago I met a guy who works for Porsche and does endurance testing in Nardo. He told me that they eventually find problems with almost every car, except for the Turbo, which is just flawless. This pretty much summarizes my service experience with the 991.2.   

I guess since it has the lowest redline of any Porsche sports car and is operating with a large amount of engineering headroom (not stressed)?

--

I have the same impression. Even at max RPM one thinks, that the engine could easily rev higher. But there is more than the engine. Suspension, brakes, interior, gearbox are flawless too.

There is a lot of talk here about the Turbo being boring and I tend to agree somehow.  At low rpm it sounds and feels like an everyday car, but when you push it, it becomes an animal which is also very capable on a track.  I can not think of any other car with these properties. As others have said already: If you can afford just one car, then it's the Turbo. If you can afford more than one it's likely not.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688126 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408523 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255466 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234688 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65316 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4632 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857424 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773096 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM