Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

How do you justify buying/owning your 997/S?

Having a bit of uncertainty here I wonder if you can bring me back into the groove.

Now I'm gonna order a 997S. But I'm slightly hesitant. I know the next test drive will erase all doubt.

here's goes anyway:

Why do we have these cars in the USA as daily drivers and all they are gonna do is make us into Cop bait?

There are only a few places I can park it: at home at office garage, at the (sorry) country club.

Mainly I am wondering how everybody avoids tickets and/or cop harassment every thirty miles. It's like we become petty criminals when were behind the wheel, easily breaking the laws whenever there's an opportunity to get away with it.

I can justify buying art works (mostly mediocre investments at my level) and that's how I justify the car: a piece of garage art (though it is an extremely poor inve$tment).

I'll probably do the Porsche Driving Experience thing (did a BMW equivalent) to figure out how to drive it.

Why are you buying or have you bought one? Unless you track the car or live in Germany, they are self-indulgent and silly really. Doncha think?

So self-indulgent and silly don't even bother to try to talk me out of it!

thanks

It's FUN !!

The car is fun at 30mph and 130 mph... do the PSE - that will explain all !!!

The 996 was one of the few products I've bought that I've never had a second of regret about.....

Your issues are age dependent

Face it Max maybe you would feel more comfortable owning a
    armored edition, diesel electric hybrid Toyota Avalon. It even comes with a full size spare!

If you are worried about dumping money into a police encounter machine, or concerned about being car jacked or vandalized, maybe you should think about just spending
    70K less on a rebuilt 914 and add a rifle rack for a G3 or two. That way you can enjoy the Porsche experience and go wherever that you want to

Re: How do you justify buying/owning your 997/S?

Silly...yes
    Self-indulgent...yes
    Financially unwise (at least compared to Ferrari )...yes

Incredibly fun...HELL YES!

Plus, for me, driving a 997S will be therapeutic. After a long hard day in the O.R. and the stress of performing difficult procedures on critically ill patients, it's nice to unwind to the roar of a flat 6 and rip through the on ramp to...get stuck on the Eisenhower Expressway...oh well...nothings perfect.

Re: It's FUN !!

I never had those philosophical questions. Since the late 60s the 911 was the car to drive - anything else was just transportation. Since you asked... if you do not feel that way, you might enjoy something else - and there are plenty to choose from.

Just go down to the dealer and buy one and you won't be sitting around mind f'n yourself about it. A radar detector will reduce the risk of cops and you're going to need another car to drive that you won't have to worry about. If they really get the attention of cops maybe you should move to a place where sports cars are more common place. Finally, if you work hard you deserve it Any other questions?

i have been driving my 997S for over 4k mls now, and (know on wood) haven't gotten a ticket yet (well, apart from the parking tickeet at the dealership, but that's another story). so far, cop's have been "nice" to me by mostly ignoring me.

anyways, i am more concerned by some of the comments made earlier in this thred, regarding car-jacking, keying, etc.

are there any reports that cars like a 997 are being car-jacked? i would understand if that happens in compton, etc. but in west-LA?

btw, i also have the insurance problem amy reported here. i am with AAA and they INSIST that the 997S is a TURBO. my insurance has gone up ~$600 from a BMW X5. if anyone finds a insurance company that does recognize the 997S as a 997, not as a TURBO, please let me know...

Because there is a waiting list, and the 997 is new, depreciation will not be as awful as it would otherwise be. Also, 911s generally depreciate a lot slower than other cars (all other cars??)

Here in the UK, there are hardly any police on the streets anymore - they're too busy filling in paperwork back at the police station. But as a last resort, you could get a radar detector, and go on holiday in Germany...

Life is a one way ticket. I have always had the same doubts about spending large amounts of money doing what I enjoy. Generally I have never regretted it. Last year it was doing one of the final flights on Concorde - always wanted to do it and it was 100 times better than I thought. No, better than that Next year it is a new Porsche (Boxster). It will have to be something else to better that experience In the future - Venice Simplon Orient Express, touring the National Parks of the U.S.(I've only done Yosemite).California's Route 1. The Stelvio Pass between Italy and Austria. A night out with Halle Berry. Now I am getting carried away

It's only money, and a car is not just a car.

If I needed the money for a rainy day or it financially made a difference for my daughter I would spend less money on a car; but at the end of life people seem to regret working too much but not spending too much.

Mine is a commuter car and I rarely speed, but the car is still very enjoyable to drive. Though not my first sports car it's my first 911, and for me driving it is in a completey different category. Fortunately my commute doesn't involve the living hell of highway driving around here during rush hour. My nephews/nieces think it's cool, and I don't care about anyone else, well, except I enjoy when kids at bus stops get a kick out of it; they probably know "yellow" means "ceramic." About worrying about damage, I hope for me it's temporary and I'll eventually be comfortable leaving the car at the airport for a few days and will let valets take it without worry. In my mind it's a luxury item and the mental accounting is such that if I can't buy it outright and financially handle a total loss I shouldn't be buying it. Other than personal liability I don't even insure it.

Want to do something really stupid with your money from a financial perspective? Buy a sailboat.

I bought it for my son. He really loves the car.

As you can see, he fell asleep in the car. And he didn't want to get out of the car afterwards.

WHERE is this place?

My son thinks it's the coolest car he's ever seen too...he's right. Don't think too hard. Just buy it. You won't regret it. Way fun!!! SoCalAlan what type of car seat do you have? I have a Porsche seat that my salesman threw in (thanks Revvv).

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:

As you can see, he fell asleep in the car. And he didn't want to get out of the car afterwards.

How precious. He's adorable.

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:

I love this picture.

You're a lucky man.

I find a way to rationalize most any decision if I want it bad enough...My C2S is my 4th different 911 and my favorite. It begs to be driven as a daily driver. It's the first Porsche that I'm driving in all weather (except snow/salt). I was previously concerned with putting too many miles on them and what my patients would think- now, heck with it. I love driving this car and hope to sell or trade it in one day with lots of miles on it.

Quote:
    bdballa said:
    My son thinks it's the coolest car he's ever seen too...he's right. Don't think too hard. Just buy it. You won't regret it. Way fun!!! SoCalAlan what type of car seat do you have? I have a Porsche seat that my salesman threw in (thanks Revvv).

It's a Graco TurboBooster seat. See the thread and sroll down: http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=59075&an=0&page=3#59075

It's temporary because I ordered the Porsche Zoom and airbag deactivation kit. Which reminds me, I need to find out if they got it in yet

I'm spending my kids inheritance.

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:

That's hilarious! What's amazing is that they don't even have a stiff neck when they wake up. Did you get the Porsche Zoom booster yet?

Quote:
    MaxErnst said:
    ...Mainly I am wondering how everybody avoids tickets and/or cop harassment every thirty miles...

Since you have no sensation of speed or how fast you are going with the 997, the PCM comes with speed limit alerts. These are very useful.

I was driving on the freeway recently in traffic and saw the traffic eased up a little ahead. All I wanted to do was get ahead of an 18-wheeler on the connector road. I looked at the speedometer, and I was going aver 100mph. Did not try to go fast around the truck or try to speed. Every since them, use the PCM to give a little audio alert when I go faster than 80,90, and 100mph.

Easy! Just tell your wife it's cheaper than maintaining a mistress!

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Easy! Just tell your wife it's cheaper than maintaining a mistress!

heheheee. Oh, right, let's also keep in mind that it's much cheaper than a divorce; don't tell the wife _that_ though.

Quote:
    alin2 said:
    Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:

That's hilarious! What's amazing is that they don't even have a stiff neck when they wake up. Did you get the Porsche Zoom booster yet?

I called the dealership and it's there. So I will swing by on Saturday to pick up the booster seat. The air-bag deactivation kit may not be available yet. Anyways, I'll let you know how it works out.

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Quote:
    alin2 said:
    Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:

I called the dealership and it's there. So I will swing by on Saturday to pick up the booster seat. The air-bag deactivation kit may not be available yet. Anyways, I'll let you know how it works out.

Thanks!

It's sad to say, but I am having a hard time justifying my decision personally to take the leap given the treatment I have been receiving from the local dealer. I have twice received a quote from the dealer on a 997s tiptronic they have had on the floor only to receive a call saying there was an issue with their lender and they could not honor the quote. I love the car, but when I spend over 100k on a car, I expect great service. The out of state dealers I have spoken to have been much more accomodating, but I still have to rely on the local dealer for service. Just my rant for the day.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    691096 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410197 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256244 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235423 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65750 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4746 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858844 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775142 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM