Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 992 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020)

My first thought was something akin to carbon offsets. "We can keep ICE engines in our portfolio instead of being all electric because we offset the CO2 emmisions from those engines with our green gas."

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

Liquid fuels have many advantages of batteries including transportability and higher energy densities per unit of mass.  That’s why liquid fuels must remain a viable component of any conceivable shift in energy sources.  However, most politicians and many individuals fail to comprehend basic science and economics.  

Whoopsy:
    Leawood911:
    Whoopsy:
    nberry:

Take a 993 turbo over a 992 turbo. What horse shit. mail

Guy’s, please stop the crap. 

Actually I would take the 993 also given the choice 

If only PDK is available on the 993, then it would pretty much be the perfect thing.

I doubt the 992 will be worth twice the original asking price in 20 years. 

It's more about the size of the car, not the price tag or worthiness.

The 993 is smaller and much tidier car. I am not transporting 250lb-300lb pigs. My gf and I added together barely touches 300lbs total. 993 is roomy enough. 

Yes.  992 is a disgusting end to the 911 run. on the 993, I had 2 turbos - played point and squirt of muddy dirt roads and hammered the highways - a great car, but really I want a 993 GT2.

watt:
    Whoopsy:
    Leawood911:
    Whoopsy:
    nberry:

If only PDK is available on the 993, then it would pretty much be the perfect thing.

The 993 is smaller and much tidier car. I am not transporting 250lb-300lb pigs. My gf and I added together barely touches 300lbs total. 993 is roomy enough. 

Yes.  992 is a disgusting end to the 911 run. on the 993, I had 2 turbos - played point and squirt of muddy dirt roads and hammered the highways - a great car, but really I want a 993 GT2.

Ah the unicorn.

I know someone who have a warehouse full of them and also a folder on just about every car made.  

He is collecting them. 

--

Whoopsy:
    watt:
    Whoopsy:
    Leawood911:
    Whoopsy:
    nberry:

Ah the unicorn.

I know someone who have a warehouse full of them and also a folder on just about every car made.  

He is collecting them. 

Ask your pal if he has this 34 page technical document from Porsche Motorsport, has the details of all the different parts used on the GT2 

My favourite page, hand written part numbers in a factory publication Smiley

--

997 GT2 2014 3.9 Mezger, 800PS @ 1.2 bar

2021 McLaren 765LT incoming 

993 Turbo, 2006 built 3.8, 577PS/797NM, 1440kg DIN sold to a worthy enthusiast.

Not only handwritten but sent, via facsimile, to whomever prepared the overall document!  I wonder if Porsche retains some of those elements instead of becoming a polished, impersonal entity. 

RC:

True but then, there are curves and twists and turns... Smiley This is where the men are separated from the boys. Smiley

The Turbo is a pig Smiley

GT2 is the one to get

I ran my 993 turbo in full GT2 trim for a while but with carbon instead of aluminium bonnet and doors, all the front drive system removed and proper GT2/RS cap on the gearbox, 800NM of torque going through a Drexler LSD to two 285 tyres with no nannies was quite "entertaining" in fact proved just too dangerous on our cambered roads, it would literally spit you into the hedge as the back end kicked around under boost, I refitted the ~80kg of front drive and it was actually much nicer and safer to drive !

I remember going in an RS Tuning tuned 620PS/830NM race 993GT2 which had more rear rubber and around the lovely flat roads near Kirchaslach it was incredible, we did 270kph on a literal back road.......this kind of test drive was rather good at loosening ones purse strings indecision

Part of an article on the car, apologies if its unreadable, it is an old scan.

--

The guy who bought my 993 has taken it even further, new GT2EVO arch kit and BIG wheels, full interior etc

For those of you who like older aircooled check out his insta kiss

https://www.instagram.com/blackbettyandco/?hl=en

--

Interesting story.  Thank you for sharing with us.

TB993tt:

The guy who bought my 993 has taken it even further, new GT2EVO arch kit and BIG wheels, full interior etc

For those of you who like older aircooled check out his insta kiss

https://www.instagram.com/blackbettyandco/?hl=en

Looks great, except for that exaggerated camber on the front wheels.

TB993tt:

He is collecting them. 

Ask your pal if he has this 34 page technical document from Porsche Motorsport, has the details of all the different parts used on the GT2 

My favourite page, hand written part numbers in a factory publication Smiley

--

Now that is one cool manual. No idea if he has something like that or not, but with his connections, it would not surprise me. There are VIPs, there are VVIPs and there are VVVVIPs. 

Too famous to disclose or even hint at who he is.

--

Whoopsy:
    watt:
    Whoopsy:
    Leawood911:
    Whoopsy:
    nberry:

Ah the unicorn.

He is collecting them. 

Only 900k, you should have 4 or 5Smiley

watt:
    Whoopsy:
    watt:
    Whoopsy:
    Leawood911:
    Whoopsy:
    nberry:

Ah the unicorn.

He is collecting them. 

Only 900k, you should have 4 or 5Smiley

Of all the cars I have owned, thought about buying or dream about buying, there is only one car ever that I want multiple of. 

The 918. 

It is the most complex car ever, most technologically advanced car ever. All future cars will only get simpler and simpler. It was the pinnacle of automotive engineering. 

Nothing else is worth having more than one. 

--

Whoopsy:
    It is the most complex car ever, most technologically advanced car ever. All future cars will only get simpler and simpler. It was the pinnacle of automotive engineering. 

Tesla? SmileySmiley

--

2016 Porsche 981 GT4 | Racing Yellow
    2018 Audi S6 Avant | Ibis White

bluelines:
    Whoopsy:

Tesla? SmileySmiley

Teslas are just an EV, there is nothing complex about EVs, it's just a rotating electric motor attached to some wheels. A golf cart is an EV, do one consider a golf cart a complex machine?

Even the software part on Teslas aren't that complex either, a normal automobile already have millions lines of codes.

The 918 on the other hand has to have the 4.6L N/A V8 working with a electric motor on the rear axle that connects to a 7 speed dual clutch gearbox, all the while working in harmony with an all electric front axle that has no mechanical connection to the rear axle. We are not even counting the programming needed to blend regen braking with physical braking. Even among it's peers, the P1 and the LaFerrari, the 918 is still years ahead in technology.

Humans simply won't make a more complex automobile than the 918. There is no point if everything is going the direction of EVs. 
    --

When I started looking at 993 GT2s, the price was around CHF 250k, a bargain but I did not have the money and still do not have it now yes

I drove a 993 Turbo some  years ago at the time of the 996 range. To be honest from what I remember I wasn't impressed at all by its driving characteristics. It felt old and cumbersome.

It has a very attractive look as a neo-classic and when I see it today at my friend's workshop it arouses emotion because i am  friend of Porsche That's all.

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

SmileyWhoopsy:
    bluelines:
    Whoopsy:

Tesla? SmileySmiley

Teslas are just an EV, there is nothing complex about EVs, it's just a rotating electric motor attached to some wheels. A golf cart is an EV, do one consider a golf cart a complex machine?

Even the software part on Teslas aren't that complex either, a normal automobile already have millions lines of codes.

The 918 on the other hand has to have the 4.6L N/A V8 working with a electric motor on the rear axle that connects to a 7 speed dual clutch gearbox, all the while working in harmony with an all electric front axle that has no mechanical connection to the rear axle. We are not even counting the programming needed to blend regen braking with physical braking. Even among it's peers, the P1 and the LaFerrari, the 918 is still years ahead in technology.

Humans simply won't make a more complex automobile than the 918. There is no point if everything is going the direction of EVs. 
    --

Yeah. One line of software is just like the other. It is the number of lines which are important.  
    What really matters is that the hardware is so complicated that it can’t be insured, driven or owned. That always makes cars special.  Too bad you did not get three to park.  Does someone need a bit more confirmation bias?  Happy to help. 

Someone had a good breakfast! LOL...

Reginos:

I drove a 993 Turbo some  years ago at the time of the 996 range. To be honest from what I remember I wasn't impressed at all by its driving characteristics. It felt old and cumbersome

This is a good description of a standard 993 turbo however the GT2/RS parts are readily available which transform the handling, all the joints, arms, shocks, braces, bushes geometry etc.

I remember driving a standard car when I had my 993 turbo and I was gutted at how cumbersome it felt, I remember having to grit my teeth and lie to the owner how nice his car was but it felt horrible !

--

mcdelaug:

I’m just jealous. Been trying and in line for a gt3 at my shitty dealership for 15 years.  After driving Porsches for 40 years that says it all.  

Leawood911:
    mcdelaug:

I’m just jealous. Been trying and in line for a gt3 at my shitty dealership for 15 years.  After driving Porsches for 40 years that says it all.  

Switch dealer. Your dealer obviously doesn't value customers. But then again if you haven't been buying cars from them then they would lower your standing. Porsche the company may love you as a loyal 'customer', but you are not a customer of Porsche, the dealer is the customer for Porsche and you are just a customer of the dealer.

--

Ditto Whoopsy.  My dealer would love to sell me a GT3, as it’s a huge profit maker.  Also, there are some very nice recent GT3s for sale as certified cars at Porsche dealerships around the country.

a 996 GT2 is the widow maker? I loved those.  But what's a 993 GT2 then? 

Nothing more alluring than dangerous cars

watt:

Dangerous women perhaps? Smiley

--

There is no try. Just do.

Ha ha! Just remember it was a man’s world until Eve came along.

TB993tt:

I ran my 993 turbo in full GT2 trim for a while but with carbon instead of aluminium bonnet and doors, all the front drive system removed and proper GT2/RS cap on the gearbox, 800NM of torque going through a Drexler LSD to two 285 tyres with no nannies was quite "entertaining" in fact proved just too dangerous on our cambered roads, it would literally spit you into the hedge as the back end kicked around under boost, I refitted the ~80kg of front drive and it was actually much nicer and safer to drive !

I remember going in an RS Tuning tuned 620PS/830NM race 993GT2 which had more rear rubber and around the lovely flat roads near Kirchaslach it was incredible, we did 270kph on a literal back road.......this kind of test drive was rather good at loosening ones purse strings indecision

Part of an article on the car, apologies if its unreadable, it is an old scan.

993 remains an icon Smiley

Pentium:
    watt:

Haha,

Dangerous cars are wife approvedSmiley They'd rather have you dead than doing the Dangerous women thingSmiley

watt:
    Pentium:
    watt:

Haha,

Dangerous cars are wife approvedSmiley They'd rather have you dead than doing the Dangerous women thingSmiley

Word! Smiley

--

There is no try. Just do.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688200 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408564 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255483 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234699 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65333 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4632 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857457 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773151 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM