Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 992 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020)

Topspeed:

991.2 Turbo S cab vs 992 Turbo S

Rumour 2018/19 cars all got turbo s Exclusive tune so 625PS.  

992 Turbo S nearly crashed at the end Smiley

So the only thing exclusive with that variant was the price?

the-missile:

nothing beats the French guy and accent in term of pronunciation smiley

I always suspect the French still hates the Brits so they try butchering English all the timeSmiley

--

CGX car nut:
    Topspeed:

I did that comparison a while back, when one adds up the price of the carbon hood, the carbon roof, the Exclusive wheels, the aero kit in carbon,  all the Exclusive leather options inside, plus the custom headliner and seat pattern, the painted callipers, that total is already more than a regular turbo S, the power kit is basically free. 

It was like a 60k difference for the MSRP back then. carbon hood, roof are like 10k each. the wheels will be around 12k also. aero kit is like 13k. The Exclusive interior trim bits totalled around 6k. Painted callipers is a 20k option if they allow. We are already up to 70k in 'stuff'. Exclusive doesn't do custom interiors anymore, but back in the days when they do, the sky is the limit on how much they charge to do one offs.  Say it's a 50k option for that. We are already at 120k and not counting the power kit yet. The 10k ish for a PowerKit is like a throw in.

The turbo S Exclusive was the best bargain Porsche ever made.

--

It looks like only a Porsche 911 Turbo S gets a free pass on Porsche forums and no one should question its true performance in the real world Smiley

I don't buy the AWD vs RWD is the secret  Smiley

Nobody seems to question the previous cars that weighed less than claimed factory weight 1,640 kg vs 1,622 kg (AB Sportscar) vs 1,654 kg  (Sport Auto / passenger onboard), how do we know how these press cars are set up and tuned ? Trying to overcome Covid-19 lockdown and drop in sales ? Smiley

A GT car (2+2) outrunning proper sports cars, let alone a lightweight Mclaren, this is like sending out an updated Ferrari FF / Portofino and destroying every car around Balocco trackSmiley

Whoopsy:
    CGX car nut:
    Topspeed:

I did that comparison a while back, when one adds up the price of the carbon hood, the carbon roof, the Exclusive wheels, the aero kit in carbon,  all the Exclusive leather options inside, plus the custom headliner and seat pattern, the painted callipers, that total is already more than a regular turbo S, the power kit is basically free. 

It was like a 60k difference for the MSRP back then. carbon hood, roof are like 10k each. the wheels will be around 12k also. aero kit is like 13k. The Exclusive interior trim bits totalled around 6k. Painted callipers is a 20k option if they allow. We are already up to 70k in 'stuff'. Exclusive doesn't do custom interiors anymore, but back in the days when they do, the sky is the limit on how much they charge to do one offs.  Say it's a 50k option for that. We are already at 120k and not counting the power kit yet. The 10k ish for a PowerKit is like a throw in.

A USD 300k “bargain”? Hahaha, who are you trying to fool? SmileySmiley

All those options are insanely overpriced. Whether it is 50k or 100k total for fake carbon, paint and decals. 

--

2016 Porsche 981 GT4 | Racing Yellow
    2018 Audi S6 Avant | Ibis White

bluelines:
    Whoopsy:
    CGX car nut:
    Topspeed:

A USD 300k “bargain”? Hahaha, who are you trying to fool? SmileySmiley

All those options are insanely overpriced. Whether it is 50k or 100k total for fake carbon, paint and decals. 

Lol of course they are stupidly priced. But that's Porsche's own pricing and I just use their own numbers to price it accordingly. 

The worse offender is the black painted callipers for 20k, back then that's what they asked for, IF they even let you have that option. Now I think they allow black as a no cost or low cost optionSmiley Haven't check for a while.

--

RC:
    MKSGR:
    Boyko23:

A lot of factors to consider in that comparison between your friend and Carwow - wind, elevation, tarmac, etc. In that video the 992 did 10.1. 

Perfect summary Smiley 

P.S.: It is certainly a joke if anybody would argue 10.4 is right or 10.1 is wrong. The difference is 3%. Total nonsense to claim the lower figure is impossible just because some other driver in totally different conditions achieved a 3% higher result

When did you do your last quarter mile measurement, Markus? 30 years ago? With a stop watch? Smiley

We use Dragy almost every weekend for some comparisons, the results are amazingly accurate, this is why (almost) nobody uses a Performance Box anymore, too inconvenient. If the Dragy has free line of sight (directly under the windshield in the middle), the precision is astonishing.

Between the fastest and the slowest cars in a super sports car group, the time difference over the 1/4 mile is around 0.7 seconds.  Trust me, 0.3 seconds are a very big difference. My GLC 63S AMG did 12.1 seconds last time, tank was almost empty though but my son was with me in the car.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

But you are comparing in identical conditions (tarmac, temperature, wind etc.) Above the comparison was related to uncomparable times as the test conditions are unknown...

Whoopsy:
    the-missile:

nothing beats the French guy and accent in term of pronunciation smiley

I always suspect the French still hates the Brits so they try butchering English all the timeSmiley

It is the opposite, they still hate us Smiley but yes we are happy to pronounce their language with our style. Their ladies love that for some reason Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

Whoopsy:

Lol of course they are stupidly priced. But that's Porsche's own pricing and I just use their own numbers to price it accordingly. 

The worse offender is the black painted callipers for 20k, back then that's what they asked for, IF they even let you have that option. Now I think they allow black as a no cost or low cost optionSmiley Haven't check for a while.

Black calipers is now a few hundred bucks it is like a deal Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

BiTurbo:

It looks like only a Porsche 911 Turbo S gets a free pass on Porsche forums and no one should question its true performance in the real world Smiley

This is not only valid for Porsche forums, my son loves Porsche but based on our weekend drives experiences, we often see different "results" in real life driving and he tries to convince Porsche fan boys on YouTube or Instagram but...no chance. Many of these people have never even sat in a Porsche but the good reputation is still intact, very valuable brand name indeed.

Most surprising/weird Porsche experience ever: We have a 991.1 GT3 in our group which is so fast we thought this guy secretly installed a turbo upgrade. Smiley Unbelievable acceleration, this thing (almost) keeps up with my Performante and is as fast as a 991.2 Turbo S(!) up to 240 kph or so, unbelievable performance. We also had a 991.1 GT3 RS in the group (he crashed the car but it wasn't his fault, long story) and he was much slower. Weirdest Porsche experience ever.

So yes, sometimes Porsches are faster than the factory claims but in reality, they usually meet this claims.

It really depends on the car. The 720S has a fantastic traction control setup, if set right, AWD doesn't make much of a difference but many drivers think they are the best (who doesn't? Smiley) and use settings which may not really be suitable for them, resulting in stability and traction issues.

Nobody seems to question the previous cars that weighed less than claimed factory weight 1,640 kg vs 1,622 kg (AB Sportscar) vs 1,654 kg  (Sport Auto / passenger onboard), how do we know how these press cars are set up and tuned ? Trying to overcome Covid-19 lockdown and drop in sales ? Smiley

A GT car (2+2) outrunning proper sports cars, let alone a lightweight Mclaren, this is like sending out an updated Ferrari FF / Portofino and destroying every car around Balocco trackSmiley

The 720S is a monster above 200 kph (125 mph), I haven't seen many cars being able to outrun it at higher speeds. Not even the GT2 RS.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

RC:
    based on our weekend drives experiences, we often see different "results" in real life driving 

What you describe has nothing to do with the relative performance of cars - it is in 99% a mere problem of how these cars are being driven. If you drive a Porsche properly you will (based on my experience) rarely or never have performance below the promised specs. In Italy this looks very different... Although Ferrari is better today since they switched to the Turbo engines.

Motortrend: 2020 McLaren GT vs. 2021 Porsche 911 Turbo S: When Joy and Function Collide

Two of the world’s most extreme GT cars prove you really can have it all.

Second Place: McLaren GT

The better long-distance runner. Prettier and more practical, the McLaren GT takes its name seriously, but leaves just a little performance on the table.

First Place: Porsche 911 Turbo S

The new king of supercars, the 911 Turbo S trades just a little GT practicality and plushness for utterly dominant performance, and it's a deal we're happy to endorse.

Not possible Porsche to be ahead of McLaren! That red one is 100% factory car smiley

😂😂😂😂😂

BiTurbo:

When is the last time you find a Porsche, any Porsche, that didn't meet or beat what Porsche says it will do?

Not Porsche's problem when others published unrealistic number and can't back them up in the real world.

As for you not believing the RWD vs AWD thing, well that's just simple physics, launching a car from rest is all about maximizing available traction, and that' a finite amount even more finite when there is only 2 wheels driven and not 4. But once the cars are going and the traction limit is no longer in effect, then the power of the car takes over. Eventually the more powerful car will overtake, the question is when, not if.

Maximizing the initial speed advantage had been the Porsche motto for a while, they never chase ultimate top speed. Look no farther than the 918 before. A P1 is faster on the top end, but on a track, a P1 never have chance. 918 powers out of every corner faster and harder, the P1 in chasing mode on every straights, with a long enough straight it can and will pass the 918, but the next corner is coming up and they will have to do the whole chase again.

It's the same for their racing philosophy also. The 919, the RSR, the GT3R all are cornering monsters and focused on corner exit speed. They all give up the top end, end of straight speed but nothing is faster exiting corners. In racing, catching and passing is 2 different thing. In the hands of a capable driver, defending a corner entry from a faster car is not that hard to do, especially in a car with a cornering advantage, one reason why Porsches do so well in racing.

Am I a Porsche fan? Absolutely. Do I think Porsche can do no wrong? Hardly. I have criticized them plenty. In private. And in public. Even in Porsche forums. I have had other brands, Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, they all are excellent cars, I was one of the first to have a 12C, I still think that was an excellent car. Same with the Speciale, another car I miss dearly. The F12s and FFs I considered them highly underrated also. With all these choices, I still go back to the 911 turbo S, the old faithful. It is really that good.

--

Smiley can agree more!

Porsche is an unique brand with unbeatble motorsport pedigree!
    The new  992Turbo S is much more impressive and a huge step forward when compared with other 911 gen replacements!
    I wish I can have a CAB Smiley

I salivate at the prospect of a rumored sports variant of the Turbo S.  

Whoopsy:

When is the last time you find a Porsche, any Porsche, that didn't meet or beat what Porsche says it will do?

Not Porsche's problem when others published unrealistic number and can't back them up in the real world.

As for you not believing the RWD vs AWD thing, well that's just simple physics, launching a car from rest is all about maximizing available traction, and that' a finite amount even more finite when there is only 2 wheels driven and not 4. But once the cars are going and the traction limit is no longer in effect, then the power of the car takes over. Eventually the more powerful car will overtake, the question is when, not if.

Maximizing the initial speed advantage had been the Porsche motto for a while, they never chase ultimate top speed. Look no farther than the 918 before. A P1 is faster on the top end, but on a track, a P1 never have chance. 918 powers out of every corner faster and harder, the P1 in chasing mode on every straights, with a long enough straight it can and will pass the 918, but the next corner is coming up and they will have to do the whole chase again.

It's the same for their racing philosophy also. The 919, the RSR, the GT3R all are cornering monsters and focused on corner exit speed. They all give up the top end, end of straight speed but nothing is faster exiting corners. In racing, catching and passing is 2 different thing. In the hands of a capable driver, defending a corner entry from a faster car is not that hard to do, especially in a car with a cornering advantage, one reason why Porsches do so well in racing.

Am I a Porsche fan? Absolutely. Do I think Porsche can do no wrong? Hardly. I have criticized them plenty. In private. And in public. Even in Porsche forums. I have had other brands, Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, they all are excellent cars, I was one of the first to have a 12C, I still think that was an excellent car. Same with the Speciale, another car I miss dearly. The F12s and FFs I considered them highly underrated also. With all these choices, I still go back to the 911 turbo S, the old faithful. It is really that good.

That sums it up Smiley

MKSGR:
    RC:
    based on our weekend drives experiences, we often see different "results" in real life driving 

What you describe has nothing to do with the relative performance of cars - it is in 99% a mere problem of how these cars are being driven. If you drive a Porsche properly you will (based on my experience) rarely or never have performance below the promised specs. In Italy this looks very different... Although Ferrari is better today since they switched to the Turbo engines.

This has nothing to do with the drivers, when you drive straight, you really don't have to have skills and you can easily see what car delivers the promised performance and which one doesn't. We had quite a few disappointments (not specifically Porsche). Real life driving sometimes shows different results, also regarding traction (different story though), when many realize that their super duper mega fast sports car cannot put the power on the road. Smiley Traction issues are also often related to the tires because some cars have semi-slicks and these tires are often quite challenging to drive on public roads, not only when it is raining.

--

BiTurbo:
    Whoopsy:

That sums it up Smiley

Mate, you do realize your attached video pretty much sunk your own case right?

Even the GT2RS launches better, and staying ahead till pretty much end of 3rd gear before the McLaren takes over. Exactly what I have said before. Heck, even proved the bits about the physics on car launches, more weight over the driven wheels equals more traction. 

--

Still, if you watch this video (GT2 RS vs. 720S), one would think the 992.1 Turbo S is faster than the GT2 RS in a certain speed range but I doubt it. Maybe from 0-120 kph...

Actually, this video proves to reflect real life performance better than that CarWow Turbo S vs. 720S video.

--

Whoopsy:

Mate, you do realize your attached video pretty much sunk your own case right?

Even the GT2RS launches better, and staying ahead till pretty much end of 3rd gear before the McLaren takes over. Exactly what I have said before. Heck, even proved the bits about the physics on car launches, more weight over the driven wheels equals more traction.

You can save all that lecture for someone else.

I'm having a hard time believing a 650 hp that carries more weight can pull on a 720hp+ with less weight.

The above test shows 0-1000m for the GT2 RS done in 18.7s

While AB Sportscar managed to run 18.87s with 992 Turbo S.

The lap times are questionable too for a heavy car which is supposed to be a GT car.

No one argues that the McLaren is faster over 1000m as that is where power matters more than grip. Over 400m on a sticky drag strip the McLaren should also be faster. Over 400m on a normal road or runway the Turbo S’ grip advantage outweighs the McLarens power advantage. Sorry mate - the McLaren can’t go below 10.4 on a poor surface but the Turbo S can. Simple physics.

RC:
    MKSGR:
    RC:

This has nothing to do with the drivers, when you drive straight, you really don't have to have skills and you can easily see what car delivers the promised performance and which one doesn't. We had quite a few disappointments (not specifically Porsche). Real life driving sometimes shows different results, also regarding traction (different story though), when many realize that their super duper mega fast sports car cannot put the power on the road. Smiley Traction issues are also often related to the tires because some cars have semi-slicks and these tires are often quite challenging to drive on public roads, not only when it is raining.

--

I see your point. But mostly the differences will be due to driver mistakes. Simple example. driving high speed in SportPlus in the turbo s....

Caymanisking:

No one argues that the McLaren is faster over 1000m as that is where power matters more than grip. Over 400m on a sticky drag strip the McLaren should also be faster. Over 400m on a normal road or runway the Turbo S’ grip advantage outweighs the McLarens power advantage. Sorry mate - the McLaren can’t go below 10.4 on a poor surface but the Turbo S can. Simple physics.

Care to tell us why was the 992 Turbo S slower on the track with AB Sportscar Supertest which ran a 10.3, shouldn't it be faster  Smiley

OR as RC and someone else on another forum mentioned, the car tested is simply a press car which carries 911 HUL plates

This one is lighter than the ones tested by German Magazines, who knows what kind of power output UK press car has Smiley

Another test from Spanish magazine

0-100: 2,7
    0-200: 9,2
    1/4 mile: 10,4

Weight: 1,660 kg

Tires: GY Eagle F1 SuperSport

Fastest Lap Times:

Nissan GT-R Nismo - 1:07.10
    991.2 Turbo S - 1:07.26
    992 Turbo S - 1:07.27
    Mercedes AMG GT-R - 1:07.28
    911 Turbo (2014) - 1:07.30

720S Spider by Carwow

1640Kg = 90% of fuel in the tank.

Harry started the driving bit with less than 40% of fuel (38%?)

Quick math:

Turbo S fuel capacity: 67 liters

-------(ignoring reserve)(5 liters)?---------

Harry's Turbo S fuel %: 40% = 26.8 liters of fuel

Lets say 1 liter of fuel = 750 grams, so:

100% of fuel (67l)= ~50.25Kg

90% of fuel (60.3l)= ~45.2Kg

40% of fuel (26.8l)= ~20.1Kg

Difference = ~25.1Kg (1640Kg - 25.1Kg = 1614.9Kg)

And how accurate is his scale? (1597Kg to 1614.9Kg = 1.1% difference)

No, it should not be faster. It just proves the point that the cars supplied to the press are not all specially prepared cars but a sample of normal cars and within such a sample it is quite plausible to have a variance of 0.3 seconds. Even more so if you consider other variables like driver, temperature, tyres etc. Even the same car can have this kind of variance on different runs depending on these variables. Because of these variances you could also see a 992 lap slower than a 991. Stats will teach you though that you can’t make a conclusion on which car is the fastest of two closely matched cars on a sample size of one! If you lap a hundred 992’s and then a hundred 991’s under exactly the same circumstances you could find that 98 of a 100 times the 992 will be faster. You could have the exception that the two fastest 991’s are faster than the two slowest 992’s. This does not make the 991 a faster car - it is again just normal statistical variance of two cars where the performance around a track are not miles apart. You therefore get overlap between the bell curves of lap times of the two. The same then goes for the 992 Turbo S and the 720 S. If you take a large sample of them and drag race them over 400m on a less than perfect surface the 992 Turbo S should win the majority of the time but you will get better examples of the 720S beating weaker examples of the 992 Turbo S despite the traction deficit simply because the power difference on those individual examples are much more than the average power difference of 640 vs 720. Again their bell curves overlap because they are not that far apart. Physics and stats are quite useful in making sense out of results which might seem inconsistent if you don’t understand the context.

I understand the context very well, what I don't understand is, why everyone here needs to write down their own long theory to prove a point about how a daily drive Porsche GT car is superior to its rivals that have power and weight advantage Smiley

BiTurbo:

I understand the context very well, what I don't understand is, why everyone here needs to write down their own long theory to prove a point about how a daily drive Porsche GT car is superior to its rivals that have power and weight advantage Smiley

That is only logical: if it came down to only comparing hp and weight it would be very esasy. In reality, the comparison is much more complex - relative quality is not only measured by hp and weight. That‘s why words can help to illustrate Smiley

Topspeed:

Motortrend: 2020 McLaren GT vs. 2021 Porsche 911 Turbo S: When Joy and Function Collide

Two of the world’s most extreme GT cars prove you really can have it all.

Second Place: McLaren GT

The better long-distance runner. Prettier and more practical, the McLaren GT takes its name seriously, but leaves just a little performance on the table.

First Place: Porsche 911 Turbo S

The new king of supercars, the 911 Turbo S trades just a little GT practicality and plushness for utterly dominant performance, and it's a deal we're happy to endorse.

Wow, that McClaren is a good looking car, and that colour particularlySmiley Can anyone confirm that colour? Veridian?  The colour palette is amazing on the config...  very slick config

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689388 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409108 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234960 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65510 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857903 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773930 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM