Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 992 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020)

PS: curb weight 3682#,I recall that heavy feel under braking in the 2011 turboS, maybe...200# lighter?

boytronic:

Is this because of the extra weight of the Turbo compared to the Performante?

Any information about  the actual weight differential between the Performante and the Turbo S?

Porsche give a DIN weight of 1640 kg. Lamborghini officially give a Dry weight (without fluids) of 1422kg for the EVO, which is the successor of the Performante.

I think that on a DIN comparison the real weight difference might be around 75kg.

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

reginos:
    boytronic:

Any information about  the actual weight differential between the Performante and the Turbo S?

Porsche give a DIN weight of 1640 kg. Lamborghini officially give a Dry weight (without fluids) of 1422kg for the EVO, which is the successor of the Performante.

I think that on a DIN comparison the real weight difference might be around 75kg.

more like a 175kg Smiley the Turbo is a whale

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

Difference in real weight is not so big, 30 to 70 kg depending on the test. Nonetheless a heavy car but the amount of technology, comfort amenities and the AWD don’t come for free, weight wise.

watt:

PS: curb weight 3682#,I recall that heavy feel under braking in the 2011 turboS, maybe...200# lighter?

Seems US cars are heavier 3,636 lbs, tick some options and you'll be close to 37xx lbs  Smiley

3636 lbs = 1650kg, the weight given for the EU cars.

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

EU cars weigh 1640 kg, Auto Bild received a lighter one.

the-missile:
    reginos:
    boytronic:

That said, the Italians have a habit of underquoting their official weight (the cars, not the people).

--

1969 Mercedes-Benz 300SEL 6.3  / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS (sold) / 2011 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Performance / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 Clubsport

reginos:
    boytronic:

Good enough ballpark but the difference is actually around 60kg or so.

From memory think the Lambo V10 has like 8L of oil and like 18L litre of coolant and a 80L gas tank.

DIN weight has to include a driver weight of 75kg right? Then 90% of a full tank of fuel, that's 70L so another 50kg, add another ~7kg of motor oil, ~18kg of coolant. PDK takes 6 litres of oil, Lambo transmission should be the same, so another 4kg. Another 2kg of oil in the front and back differential. ~5 litres of washer fluid so other 5kg there. Add in perhaps another ~2kg for brake fluid and power steering fluid. Roughly DIN weight and 'dry' weight difference is like ~160kg.

A litre of water is 1kg, gasoline is roughly 70% density of water and motor oil is roughly 87%. Fluids are 'HEAVY', one reason why Italians doesn't include them in their specs. There is a difference of like 350lbs between DIN and dry.

--

DIN is without occupants, the +75kg thing is a Euro invention.

--

997 GT2 2014 3.9 Mezger, 800PS @ 1.2 bar

2018 McLaren 720S 

993 Turbo, 2006 built 3.8, 577PS/797NM, 1440kg DIN sold to a worthy enthusiast.

TB993tt:

DIN is without occupants, the +75kg thing is a Euro invention.

--

997 GT2 2014 3.9 Mezger, 800PS @ 1.2 bar

2018 McLaren 720S 

993 Turbo, 2006 built 3.8, 577PS/797NM, 1440kg DIN sold to a worthy enthusiast.

Even taking out the driver's 75kg it's still way heavier than whatever will be stated.

--

RC:

Real world 100 to 200 kph real life (Auto Top NL) test data from various cars (interesting figure for the 992 Turbo S):

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1YI-Q8I_rjruFLja2AU448NsNX6hCU5JQKp_4mdUR9VQ/htmlview

Comparing it to my Huracan Performante, the 992 Turbo S is 0.04 seconds faster...from 100 to 200 kph. Not very impressive.

From 0-250 kph, things look a little bit better for the 992 Turbo S: The 992 Turbo S is 1.03 seconds faster.  

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

A friend just mentioned to me that in both tests - the AB Sportscar test quoted above and the video from the NL - they indeed tested high-speed acceleration in Sports Plus mode, as I already speculated in my above post. If you look at the videos you can see "SportsPlus" was activated... Thus, these acceleration times are pretty much understated. The rear wing in Sports Plus is much steeper even with the 992 turbo than with the earlier generation. The aerodynamics in this mode are optimized for track use - not for high-speed use.

If you repeat the same test (200-300, 0-300 etc.) in Sports mode (or in Normal with the boost button) you will achieve between 24-25s, I would expect, based on my experience with the 991.2 Smiley

watt:

So I built a blue/blue/blue turbo S Cab w a couple performance options [pasm and sport exhaust] only and it's $222,000 USD.  Why bother.  It'll depreciate 70K$ overnight as well.  I'll stick w the Touring

You've already got the ultimate 911 with the touring. Smiley

The most interesting thing I noticed from the times posted by the OP was how fast the 992 Carrera S is, relative to the 991.x Turbos, especially. That car is a performance bargain.

JoeRockhead:
    watt:

So I built a blue/blue/blue turbo S Cab w a couple performance options [pasm and sport exhaust] only and it's $222,000 USD.  Why bother.  It'll depreciate 70K$ overnight as well.  I'll stick w the Touring

You've already got the ultimate 911 with the touring. Smiley

The most interesting thing I noticed from the times posted by the OP was how fast the 992 Carrera S is, relative to the 991.x Turbos, especially. That car is a performance bargain.

Agree and for those that want a four seasons daily driver performance car there is always the 992 Carrera 4S.  While the performance of the Turbo S is always nice, it is difficult to extract that extra performance in most localities. 

The RS is one fast car. That's the performance bargain.kiss

--

When you're going through hell.....keep going.

Porker:
    the-missile:
    reginos:
    boytronic:

That said, the Italians have a habit of underquoting their official weight (the cars, not the people).

True. I put my Performante on a scale and the weight was (fuel tank was basically full, without me in the car though Smiley) 1503 kg. I think Lamborghini claims a weight of 1425 kg or something like that for the Performante. Sorry, I'm in a hurry, couldn't look it up.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

MKSGR:
    RC:

Real world 100 to 200 kph real life (Auto Top NL) test data from various cars (interesting figure for the 992 Turbo S):

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1YI-Q8I_rjruFLja2AU448NsNX6hCU5JQKp_4mdUR9VQ/htmlview

Comparing it to my Huracan Performante, the 992 Turbo S is 0.04 seconds faster...from 100 to 200 kph. Not very impressive.

From 0-250 kph, things look a little bit better for the 992 Turbo S: The 992 Turbo S is 1.03 seconds faster.  

--

A friend just mentioned to me that in both tests - the AB Sportscar test quoted above and the video from the NL - they indeed tested high-speed acceleration in Sports Plus mode, as I already speculated in my above post. If you look at the videos you can see "SportsPlus" was activated... Thus, these acceleration times are pretty much understated. The rear wing in Sports Plus is much steeper even with the 992 turbo than with the earlier generation. The aerodynamics in this mode are optimized for track use - not for high-speed use.

If you repeat the same test (200-300, 0-300 etc.) in Sports mode (or in Normal with the boost button) you will achieve between 24-25s, I would expect, based on my experience with the 991.2 Smiley

The time you gain from different aerodynamics may actually be lost by the slower gear shift and lower boost in Normal or Sports mode. Would be worth trying.

We had only the chance to do some comparison driving under 240 kph (traffic Smiley) and there was basically no difference (although my Performante runs pretty well, especially after the first inspection after 10000 km, I have a comparison with a different Performante with almost 30000 km and I leave him behind quite fast, especially over 160 kph Smiley but it is no secret that the V10 engines vary a lot in power and most of them don't deliver the claimed 640 hp, with very few exceptions). Turbo S for comparison had 3000 km only though, so maybe it runs a little bit better once it is run in. Driver was in Sport and Sport Plus mode, can't say what he used on the Autobahn.

What I remember very well was however the other driver's (Turbo S) remark how he heard my Performante exhaust sound louder than his own car...in his car...with the windows closed Smiley Smiley.

I like how the Turbo S is looking, only the front could be a little bit more "exotic". The price of the test-car was slightly under 250k, ouch. 

I will drive the car myself again soon, maybe I can throw in a little review. All I can say is that it is a fantastic handling car but I still wish the 4WD setup would be a bit more neutral. 

--

RC:
    MKSGR:
    RC:

--

The time you gain from different aerodynamics may actually be lost by the slower gear shift and lower boost in Normal or Sports mode. Would be worth trying.

Boost is not lower in Sports mode (and also not in Normal if you use the boost button). Gear shift has no significant impact (but you could improve acceleration from standstill if you started in Sport Plus and switched to Sport after the gearshift to forth gear at around 170kph). I tried it in the 991.2 Smiley It is funny that the press does not seem to understand the impact... 1-2 seconds is a lot of a difference Smiley

RC:

I will drive the car myself again soon, maybe I can throw in a little review. All I can say is that it is a fantastic handling car but I still wish the 4WD setup would be a bit more neutral. 

You might like the turbo - much more emotional sound experience this time Smiley And the handling (front axle) is much improved Smiley

Markus, I already drove it. Smiley Couldn't take pics for various reasons at that time, also the reason I didn't write a review yet. Final production car (first production series). Sound is crap (like always, didn't expect much in this department), only that stupid artificially sounding pffft is there (something they wanted to introduce for the 991 Turbo S) but the AWD setup is still too RWD-like to me, even if it doesn't "push" over the front axle anymore (=less understeering).

I loved the AWD setup of the 996 Turbo, very neutral, I could really do stupid things with it but nowadays, under the excuse of "driving dynamics", they set up the AWD in a way that it kind of resembles RWD setups...up to a point or after to a certain point and I don't like it.

My Performante has a very neutral AWD setup in Corsa mode but surprisingly a very challenging (especially when you turn off ESC) RWD-like setup in Sport mode. One reason I do not like driving in Sport mode, the car just feels a little bit like a RWD car. Corsa mode on the other hand can be a little bit tricky on public roads, especially when wet because the ESC is barely working but I got used to it because Strada is too tame and I love Corsa mode.

Please don't get me wrong, I think Porsche did a fantastic job with the 911 Turbo S evolution but this just isn't a car for me anymore. I need a weekend fun car, not a super fast daily driver.

--

RC:

Please don't get me wrong, I think Porsche did a fantastic job with the 911 Turbo S evolution but this just isn't a car for me anymore. I need a weekend fun car, not a super fast daily driver.

The turbo is the car to maximize the total fun of car driving - you can enjoy it every single day (including the weekend, of course, if you like). As a convertible it is just the best package available in the car industry Smiley There are cars that have a special thrill for a moment or a bit longer. But overall the turbo is the best of all of them. That‘s why most turbo buyers get a new one every now and then. Everything else comed and goes. The turbo stays. If the price was lower nobody would complain, however Smiley

last week I drove back to back the Taycan Turbo S and the 992 Turbo S alongside my RS6 with 3 friends.

Taycan Turbo S: more of a sports car with 4 doors and little trunk than a sedan. Low sitting position, low center of gravity, good leg room at the back but due to the foot recess, the legs are angled more and therefore not pleasant for longer distances. I stand with my head on the roof at the back. Every movement on the pedal is immediately transferred to acceleration. You have to learn to step carefully on the throttle again so that you don't get a blow in the neck all the time, similar to the 720s but here you need to use the throttle carefully to overcome traction problems. On longer straights / freeway, however, the regressive acceleration behavior is evident, and this is rather disappointing - at the beginning, brutal acceleration then slowly decreasing. I personally like a progressive characteristic like in the 992 Turbo S or the 720s a lot better. The best comes at the end and not at the beginning imho. Nevertheless, driving country roads with so much power is addicting, curve exits are the best, nothing comes close to it. But what is clear despite the low center of gravity is that the tires suffer relatively quickly due to the weight of the car, certainly not a car for drives and track days. The car has thrown all sorts of error messages in between our drive so we need to stop it and “reboot” it.

Ideal as a third car for those who don't care about money anyway, as a cool city car to show of and wen red light races 😉 or for couples without children as an electric car with all the advantages and disadvantages of electromobility.

992 Turbo S: very agile, like a smaller car, apparently the all-wheel steering works very well here. Suspension stiff, the sport mode is already too stiff for some of our bad roads. It really goes with the all-wheel drive, traction as expected no problem. But you have to take the car in your hand, casual driving at 2.5k -3k rpm is not enough to overtake quickly, you need to shift and rev. Braking is top, pushing little bit over the front wheels in tight bends, you notice a bit of the all-wheel drive. For me, in contrast to the McLaren, the upper rpm regions are not the natural habitat of the car. With McLaren you actually drive, even if you are more casual underway on the road between 3.5-5.5k rpm and you don't think anything about it, car sounds great, doesn't sound tortured or anything, and it just goes. It is somehow a subjective feeling but with the Turbo S this is not the case. If you only have one car and you can afford the car, then top. For me a boring car, and the sound …..yes

RS6: Car is clearly the most comfortable, nice and smooth with the 8-speed auto, also with the optional DRC suspension. In comparison, the car rolls more due to the higher center of gravity and the softer suspension. The seating position is not as integrated as that of the Porsche, a bit too high for me. But, if you press the throttle it goes (0-200 12 seconds), of course not like the Taycan Turbo S (0-200 10.4 seconds) or 992 Turbo S (0-200 8.9 seconds) but imho more than sufficient. The all-wheel steering makes the car nimble, the max. lateral acceleration till now was 1.3g 😊. But its the same topic as with the Taycan with the tires. The car is clearly not a sports car but a family sedan / station wagon with a fun factor. As daily driver imho perfect. I'm loving it. And the look Smiley

hunterone:

last week I drove back to back the Taycan Turbo S and the 992 Turbo S alongside my RS6 with 3 friends.

Taycan Turbo S: more of a sports car with 4 doors and little trunk than a sedan. Low sitting position, low center of gravity, good leg room at the back but due to the foot recess, the legs are angled more and therefore not pleasant for longer distances. I stand with my head on the roof at the back. Every movement on the pedal is immediately transferred to acceleration. You have to learn to step carefully on the throttle again so that you don't get a blow in the neck all the time, similar to the 720s but here you need to use the throttle carefully to overcome traction problems. On longer straights / freeway, however, the regressive acceleration behavior is evident, and this is rather disappointing - at the beginning, brutal acceleration then slowly decreasing. I personally like a progressive characteristic like in the 992 Turbo S or the 720s a lot better. The best comes at the end and not at the beginning imho. Nevertheless, driving country roads with so much power is addicting, curve exits are the best, nothing comes close to it. But what is clear despite the low center of gravity is that the tires suffer relatively quickly due to the weight of the car, certainly not a car for drives and track days. The car has thrown all sorts of error messages in between our drive so we need to stop it and “reboot” it.

Ideal as a third car for those who don't care about money anyway, as a cool city car to show of and wen red light races 😉 or for couples without children as an electric car with all the advantages and disadvantages of electromobility.

992 Turbo S: very agile, like a smaller car, apparently the all-wheel steering works very well here. Suspension stiff, the sport mode is already too stiff for some of our bad roads. It really goes with the all-wheel drive, traction as expected no problem. But you have to take the car in your hand, casual driving at 2.5k -3k rpm is not enough to overtake quickly, you need to shift and rev. Braking is top, pushing little bit over the front wheels in tight bends, you notice a bit of the all-wheel drive. For me, in contrast to the McLaren, the upper rpm regions are not the natural habitat of the car. With McLaren you actually drive, even if you are more casual underway on the road between 3.5-5.5k rpm and you don't think anything about it, car sounds great, doesn't sound tortured or anything, and it just goes. It is somehow a subjective feeling but with the Turbo S this is not the case. If you only have one car and you can afford the car, then top. For me a boring car, and the sound …..yes

RS6: Car is clearly the most comfortable, nice and smooth with the 8-speed auto, also with the optional DRC suspension. In comparison, the car rolls more due to the higher center of gravity and the softer suspension. The seating position is not as integrated as that of the Porsche, a bit too high for me. But, if you press the throttle it goes (0-200 12 seconds), of course not like the Taycan Turbo S (0-200 10.4 seconds) or 992 Turbo S (0-200 8.9 seconds) but imho more than sufficient. The all-wheel steering makes the car nimble, the max. lateral acceleration till now was 1.3g 😊. But its the same topic as with the Taycan with the tires. The car is clearly not a sports car but a family sedan / station wagon with a fun factor. As daily driver imho perfect. I'm loving it. And the look Smiley

Great write-up & many thanks Smiley

MKSGR:
    RC:

The turbo is the car to maximize the total fun of car driving - you can enjoy it every single day (including the weekend, of course, if you like). As a convertible it is just the best package available in the car industry Smiley There are cars that have a special thrill for a moment or a bit longer. But overall the turbo is the best of all of them. That‘s why most turbo buyers get a new one every now and then. Everything else comed and goes. The turbo stays. If the price was lower nobody would complain, however Smiley

Smiley I said it before: If I had one car only, the 992 Turbo S would probably be it (or a Taycan Turbo S if I would be into EVs). 

--

Thanks for your experience. Smiley

I am not surprised about the Taycan Turbo S error messages. I was scheduled to pick up the car at a certain date and they postponed it because they wanted to upload the latest software. Smiley I have to admit however that I had no error messages or any software related issues at all during the extensive test drive. Oh well...one thing only: The optional display on the driver side always rebooted itself when I was fully accelerating. Smiley Smiley It certainly didn't like my driving style. Smiley

--

it was definitely our driving style indecision

159238443893020200609_144910.jpg

1953c52e-23fd-4cab-a05b-1073267f05f5.jpg

Smiley Smiley

I love your average energy consumption...not really a good car as a daily driver, unless you only drive to work and back. Smiley

Last weekend, I drove over 340 km in my Performante and the fuel tank still had 5 litres left. Smiley In the Taycan Turbo S, the fun would have stopped at 200-220 km with the same driving style. Absolutely unacceptable. Smiley Took me five minutes to fuel up the Lambo, it would have taken me (if I am lucky to find a Ionity or Porsche fast charger) at least an hour to charge the Taycan Turbo S to 100%.  I said it before and I say it again: EVs aren't ready for prime time yet, especially high performance EVs. 

--

RC:
    I said it before and I say it again: EVs aren't ready for prime time yet, especially high performance EVs. 

I even doubt if the EV-route is the way to go for high perfomance cars. Smiley

I can only think of EVas an option for city cars.

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Rossi:

I can only think of EVas an option for city cars.

That is primary goal. limit city centers to ''clean'' cars.

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689176 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409013 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255665 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234912 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65485 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4642 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857833 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773814 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM