Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 992 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020)

Porsche presents the new-generation 911 Turbo S for unprecedented power, driving dynamics and comfort. The new range-topping 911 is being launched as a Coupé and Cabriolet, both powered by a new 3.8-litre boxer engine with two VTG turbochargers, which delivers 478 kW (650 PS), 51 kW (70 PS) more than its predecessor. Maximum torque is now 800 newton metres (an increase of 50 Nm). The Turbo-specific eight-speed Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK) cuts the sprint from zero to 100 km/h to 2.7 seconds (0.2 seconds faster), while top speed is unchanged at 330 km/h. 

The dimensions of the 911 Turbo S have been increased significantly in line with the enhanced driving dynamics: the body is now 45 millimetres wider above the front axle (1,840 mm), and the overall width is 1,900 mm above the rear axle (an increase of 20 mm). Modified track widths, further developed aerodynamics and the new mixed-size tyres contribute to its agility and sportiness: the track is now 42 mm wider at the front axle and 10 mm wider at the rear axle. The adaptive aerodynamics now include controlled cooling air flaps at the front, while the larger rear wing has been designed for even more downforce. For the first time, the 911 Turbo S transfers its power to the road with mixed tyres in two different sizes: it has 20-inch tyres with their unique 255/35 dimensions at the front and 21-inch 315/30 tyres at the rear. New equipment options underline the much sportier image of the all-wheel drive 911. These include the Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) sports chassis that has been lowered by 10 mm and the sports exhaust system with adjustable flaps that guarantees a distinctive sound. 

The completely new engine of the 911 Turbo S is based on the 911 Carrera engine generation. It features a completely redesigned charge air cooling system; new, larger VTG turbochargers in a symmetrical layout with electrically adjustable wastegate flaps, as well as the use of piezo injectors, which have significantly improved the vehicle’s characteristics with regard to responsiveness, power, torque, emissions and revving ability.

The new six-cylinder engine is aspirated by a new intake system. In this instance, the previous routing of process air and charge air cooling was swapped around: part of the process air now flows through the characteristic Turbo air intakes in the rear side sections. In front of the air filters, now situated in the rear wings, two other airflows have also been incorporated, through the rear lid grille. This means the new 911 Turbo S has four intakes with a larger overall cross-section and lower resistance, helping to improve engine efficiency. Two symmetrical turbochargers with variable turbine geometry (VTG) and larger dimensions replace the previous identical parts. The wheels now rotate in opposite directions on the right and left sides of the vehicle. The diameter of the turbine wheels has been increased by five millimetres to 55 mm, while the 61 mm compressor wheel is now three millimetres larger. The wastegate flaps are electrically controlled with stepper motors.

The harmonious design, which perfectly balances driving pleasure, dynamics and sportiness, is ideally suited for everyday use as well as the race track. The leap in performance of this new generation is particularly noticeable in the sprint from zero to 200 km/h: at 8.9 seconds, the new 911 Turbo S is one full second quicker than its predecessor. Thanks to the enhanced Porsche Traction Management (PTM) all-wheel drive, the transfer case can distribute significantly more torque, with up to 500 Nm being transferred to the front wheels. The new generation of the standard PASM chassis is also even sportier. Faster and more precisely controlled dampers provide significant advantages to the driving dynamics with respect to roll stability, road holding, steering behaviour and cornering speeds.

The new front end with wider air intakes has a characteristic Turbo-look with dual front light modules as well as standard LED matrix headlights with dark inserts. The redesigned, pneumatically extendable front spoiler and the larger rear wing deliver 15 per cent more downforce. The muscular rear wing sections with integrated air intakes emphasise the sleek body of the 911 Turbo S. The new look of the rear is completed by rectangular tailpipes in high-gloss Black, typical of the Turbo. 

The interior has a high-quality and sporty finish. The standard equipment list includes a full leather interior and carbon trim in combination with Light Silver accents. A new designed two-tone interior will be available by Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur as an option. This is characterised by a coordinated interplayof colours, materials and individual enhancements. The 18-way adjustable sports seats feature stitching that pays homage to the first 911 Turbo (type 930). High-quality graphic elements and logos in the instrument cluster complete the characteristic Turbo S features. The centre screen of the PCM is now 10.9 inches, and canbe operated quickly and without distraction thanks to its new layout. Other features on board ex-works are the GT sports steering wheel, the Sport Chrono package with newly integrated Porsche Track Precision app and BOSE® Surround Sound system. 

The 911 Turbo S Coupé will be available in Germany at a price of €216,396 including country-specific equipment and 19 per cent VAT. The 911 Turbo S Cabriolet will be priced at €229,962.

2020-911-turbo-modelle.jpg

P20_0130.jpg

P20_0103.jpg

P20_0125.jpg

P20_0112.jpg

P20_0108.jpg

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

Re: OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020)

Looks good in GT Silver  indecision

Looks really good...as usual, a new 911 is always better than his predecessor!
    Can't wait for first tests on the road!

Can't wait to see my wife's face when she sees the price tag for the Cab...she wanted one. angry With some options, this car is around 240k EUR. Ouch. 

I guess back to the 992 Carrera GTS Cab idea... 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

RC:

Can't wait to see my wife's face when she sees the price tag for the Cab...she wanted one. angry With some options, this car is around 240k EUR. Ouch. 

I guess back to the 992 Carrera GTS Cab idea... 

Your wife won't be the only one, I know quiet a few people that will end up with constipation Smiley

Looks good to me . The back slightly too busy, but generally the car looks better then the 991 . 

So, it is larger or not then the standard carrera ? 

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm -- 991.2 GT3 RS 

Front view is better than expected, not 100% convinced though. But truth is it has some solid presence (and I'm sure is gonna be nailed with the facelift).

Rear view is a little bit busy but I think it will grow on all of us. It has some vintage resemblance that I like a lot.

Side view and the view from above are simply perfect,

I would only tweak those air intakes and the wheels.

It might won't be the fastest around the track nor the lightest one but it will definitely be the car to beat and the benchmark for all the rest of supercars.

Porsche has done it again.

It reads like the rear of the Turbo is 1900 mm against the 1840mm of the Carrera...Smiley

Any information about the weight ?

Looks really good, it is a bit busy especially in the rear, but that it typical of the turbo nowadays. In person or must be even better. I wish the side intakes where styled more aggressively.

One thing that really bugs me and I can't explain why is that double straight led strip on the front for the turn lights and position lights.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

For sure the best all-round sports car. If I had to have only one then it would be this turbo.

The car is a good definition of understatement. 

What I do not like is the front, maybe it will change but now it looks odd.

--

AM

I really like the design and the lines of the exterior, but unfortunately the interior is tremendous, I hoped that after publishing the 992 carrera they had understood that the gearshift is ugly ... we hope in the restyling ... in any case nice car

Frank-Steffen Walliser spoke about a lightweight package for the Turbo in the not-too-distant future.  Porsche, other than for price, has listened to its customers.

schmoell:

1.Turbo

2. Cabriolet

For my liking the sport exhaust rear looks less complicated and less busy.

detail_M0P8_l_0.jpg

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

Interesting that the new 3.8L motor is based on the 9A2 Carrera 3.0 motor (just as is the new 4.0L NA motor in 718).  I hope the GT3 motor continues to be a bespoke motorsport engine and not an "improved" GT4 motor...

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

GT Silver

CGX car nut:

Frank-Steffen Walliser spoke about a lightweight package for the Turbo in the not-too-distant future.  Porsche, other than for price, has listened to its customers.

I don't want to be pessimistic but to me that usually translates to a mostly aesthetic carbonfiber package that will only save 40Kg on a 1700kg car for 15,000€ or something...

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Well, no surprise when I say we are not tempted to trade for this new one; ours is still a baby at 7000km... patiently waiting for snow to melt...

--

2017 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2019 Porsche 911 Turbo

Grant:

Interesting that the new 3.8L motor is based on the 9A2 Carrera 3.0 motor (just as is the new 4.0L NA motor in 718).  I hope the GT3 motor continues to be a bespoke motorsport engine and not an "improved" GT4 motor...

Looks like I need not have worried about the GT3 engine Smiley:

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motor-shows-geneva-motor-show/porsche-no-electric-911-until-least-2030

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

So it needs bigger turbos and more air intakes to make 650PS reliably..

Old engine tops out at 620PS as in the Exclusive version. 

--

BiTurbo:
    schmoell:

1.Turbo

2. Cabriolet

Thanks for this reference. FWIW:  unladen weight of the 992 is 1640kg (that is without fuel & passenger ). My 991.2 Turbo S is 1675kg incl passenger & fuel, but without sunroof. My guess is, that the 992 gained around 70kg

Whoopsy:

Well, wasn't the GT2RS basically same motor (with key mods like new pistons and water sprayer) with 700 PS?  The new 3.8L is built on a new platform (shares 9A2 with 3.0TT from 992 Carrera and NA 4.0L from 718 line).

--

schmoell:

Thanks for this reference. FWIW:  unladen weight of the 992 is 1640kg (that is without fuel & passenger). My 991.2 Turbo S is 1675kg incl passenger & fuel, but without sunroof. My guess is, that the 992 gained around 70kg

That is a pretty large increase.  I sure hope GT3 avoids this (they claim it will - maybe skip the 8spd PDK-S)

--

Grant:
    Whoopsy:

Well, wasn't the GT2RS basically same motor (with key mods like new pistons and water sprayer) with 700 PS?  The new 3.8L is built on a new platform (shares 9A2 with 3.0TT from 992 Carrera and NA 4.0L from 718 line).

--

I believe GT2RS already had bigger turbos than the standard 991 turbos.

From what the press release is saying, those turbos on the GT2RS are already working over time to bring in enough air to be compressed by the turbo, and made denser by the water sprayer cooled intercooler in order to make 700PS.

The new turbo S has a redesigned intake track, so the limitation on the intake side is removed, and the bigger turbos have no problem gathering air and compress them to make 650PS reliably without needed water spray. 

On the 991, the turbos are sucking through a smaller straw, so they had to work a bit harder, the new car has a bigger straw. End result is that the compressed air is less heated and retains the required density. 

I have a few tire pumps. All of them can get a tire to 45PSI and more, but the most portable one, with the smallest compressor, pumps out quite hot air, my bigger one pumps out cooler air and gets there quicker. Same idea.

--

Whoopsy:
    Grant:
    Whoopsy:

--

From what the press release is saying, those turbos on the GT2RS are already working over time to bring in enough air to be compressed by the turbo, and made denser by the water sprayer cooled intercooler in order to make 700PS.

The new turbo S has a redesigned intake track, so the limitation on the intake side is removed, and the bigger turbos have no problem gathering air and compress them to make 650PS reliably without needed water spray. 

On the 991, the turbos are sucking through a smaller straw, so they had to work a bit harder, the new car has a bigger straw. End result is that the compressed air is less heated and retains the required density. 

I have a few tire pumps. All of them can get a tire to 45PSI and more, but the most portable one, with the smallest compressor, pumps out quite hot air, my bigger one pumps out cooler air and gets there quicker. Same idea.

Makes sense.  I wonder where the ceiling is on the new 3.8 motor, given the GT2 RS treatment??

--

Grant:
    Whoopsy:
    Grant:
    Whoopsy:

Makes sense.  I wonder where the ceiling is on the new 3.8 motor, given the GT2 RS treatment??

Maybe the 992 GT2 RS will get a turbo-charged version of the 4.0 motor? Smiley

Boxster Coupe GTS:
    Grant:
    Whoopsy:
    Grant:
    Whoopsy:

Maybe the 992 GT2 RS will get a turbo-charged version of the 4.0 motor? Smiley

You mean the 4.0 in the GT4 or the Motorsports 4.0 in the GT3?  I hear that Porsche originally intended the 991 GT2 RS to use the Motorsports motor, but abandoned that idea for whatever reason(s).  Maybe they will use the 4.0 from the GT4, but not much point.  The difference of 200cc displacement is pretty irrelevant with a turbocharged motor.  I'd love to see them use the GT3 engine, but I'd be surprised...

--

Grant:
    Whoopsy:
    Grant:
    Whoopsy:

--

Knowing Porsche, it won't be at the 800 level for sure. My best guess is 750-770 range. If even.

The limiting factor is the PDK, torque limited. Unless they get a stronger box, there won't be much gain as they can't quite lift the redline much higher either. 

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/17/24 7:48 AM
    GnilM
    661435 1775
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    400996 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    254572 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    229040 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    59386 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4374 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

853366 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    761522 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM