Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

It is official. Porsche now produces more SUV's than

sport cars. According to their latest results(fiscal 2004) 52% of the total cars sold were SUV's. They missed analysts targets but still improved their profit margin over the previous year.

So much for the naysayers regarding building the Cayenne( I still think it is too early to tout its success). The sport cars sales continue to decline down over 30%.

With the sedan in their future plans ,the sport car may become an minor division catering to the hard core enthusiast.

Why should Porsche reenter racing if their profit are predicted on SUV's and sedans? Isn't there a road rally for SUV's. Maybe Porsche will try to dominant that race.

Re: It is official. Porsche now produces more SUV's than

Do your parents know you're not in school?

What Nick points out is something that should be, and i'm sure is clear to P management but doesn't seem clear to the 911 diehards here. W/O the cayenne P would be in VERY serious trouble. Yeah they should keep the 911 going but it only appeals to a narrow market niche. Don't flame me, because i like the car, but facts are facts.
    A sedan and/or coupe are necessary to survive and they must have at least 8 if not 10 cylinders. A handful of rennteamers no matter how enthusiastic can't keep porsches' finances in the black.

Tom

Without the Fiat there would be no Ferrari! For me the SUV makes perfect corporate sense.

Quote:
    nberry said:... The sport cars sales continue to decline down over 30%. ... the sport car may become an minor division catering to the hard core enthusiast.

There you go Nick... that's your ticket for EXCLUSIVITY. According to you, Porsche sports cars will be in great demand due to their scarcity

Note to others: is this fellow for real? He hails as an attorney, but writes as a 2nd grader, and his business sense is nill.

With high gas prices what is the future of SUV's? Maybe the Cayenne will not be affected as much because the buyers are not as conscious of fuel costs. And, it will actually be more of a status symbol to drive a guzzler that others can't afford. At any rate, if sport car sales are down and SUV life is somewhat limited, then what's next for Porsche? A station type wagon?

What are y'all getting excited about?

If Porsche stops making sports cars, I'll be fine. I'll just keep the one(s)I have or buy pre-owned ones until I find something I like more.

The management of the company has ONE responsibility: to continue to make a profit.

If they can't sell _their_ version of sports cars it is because there aren't enough enlightened people to buy them.

If they want to dumb down their products (lots of buttons, fake quads, no spare) in order to sell it: fine.

Insted of having to get used to it, the next generation 911 might remain unacceptable to me.

So what?

Live goes on.

Maybe Ferarri will start making lower-priced, reliable practical sports cars by then.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    sport cars. According to their latest results(fiscal 2004) 52% of the total cars sold were SUV's. They missed analysts targets but still improved their profit margin over the previous year.

So much for the naysayers regarding building the Cayenne( I still think it is too early to tout its success). The sport cars sales continue to decline down over 30%.

With the sedan in their future plans ,the sport car may become an minor division catering to the hard core enthusiast.

Why should Porsche reenter racing if their profit are predicted on SUV's and sedans? Isn't there a road rally for SUV's. Maybe Porsche will try to dominant that race.

They could come back to the Paris-Dakar... they have the right car now

ADias said:
    Quote:

Note to others: is this fellow for real? He hails as an ATTORNEY, but writes as a 2nd grader, and his business sense is nill.

The answer is YES he is real . The statement that follows your question seems perfectly logical to me , BTW.

You want to stir up a hornet's nest, just fling a barb or 2

on the Ferrari board. Talk about SENSITIVE people. They need to put down all other vehicles to feel at ease about spending such money on a car. I think I might post something under an alias just to see the response and then I'll post the thread here for entertaining reading.

Re: You want to stir up a hornet's nest, just fling a barb or 2

Quote:
    Jeff (in SF) said:
    on the Ferrari board. Talk about SENSITIVE people. They need to put down all other vehicles to feel at ease about spending such money on a car. I think I might post something under an alias just to see the response and then I'll post the thread here for entertaining reading.

this is not at all unlike some pcar owners today with regards to the vette right here on rennteam.

Quote:
    Jeff (in SF) said:

If you really want to stir up a hornet's nest on the Ferrari board, why not use the name "nberry" as your alias! You could get up to all the things that Nick does over here!

On second thoughts, it probably wouldn't work. Nick's probably banned over there, explaining why he has to haunt rennteam.

On second second thoughts, is Nick posting the threads he "provokes" here on rennteam over on the Ferrari board?

Re: You want to stir up a hornet's nest, just fling a barb o

Quote:
    ben, lj said:

this is not at all unlike some pcar owners today with regards to the vette right here on rennteam.

I see this F vs. P as crazy. There're both great cars produced with the right philosophy: uncompromising (well as much as humanly possible), very sophisticated, European panache, built from a rich and colorful historical tradition.

The Corvette vs. Porsches is different. It is a wanna be vs. the real thing issue. Like a party crasher, Corvette just has somehing to prove all the time and it gets boring. "good value for the money," built by a corporation which specializes in cheap mass-produced american cars.

Pick your fights wisely.

Quote:
    MaxErnst said:
    Quote:
    ben, lj said:

The Corvette vs. Porsches is different. It is a wanna be vs. the real thing issue. Like a party crasher, Corvette just has somehing to prove all the time and it gets boring. "good value for the money," built by a corporation which specializes in cheap mass-produced american cars.

Pick your fights wisely.

Don't go picking fights with us Amuricuns 'less you want us rolling our tanks through YOUR neighborhood once we're done with Iraq-n-roll ,LOL!

BTW, Boxster , X4, 350Z, SLK is the officially stated market competitor for the Vette per the GM development team, not 911. It's not the Corvette people's fault that Porsche won't give the beans ( HP ) that the Boxster chassis deserves because of fear of massive 911 defections to the less profitable model. Nor is it their choice to comp the C6 vs the 911 , but there wouldn't be a story for editors to sell mags if they put the C6 against the Boxster , I guess.

Quote:
    MKW said:

Don't go picking fights with us Amuricuns '

I'm 'merican, but _not_ proud of it lately (middle-east). We make great software, and good inexpensive mass-produced cars. French make great wine and foods. Germans and Italians make great sports cars.

just my opinion.

Thanks, nberry. Now I have to clean up all the warm milk I just spewed on my computer and cat. She looked pissed.

Quote:
    MaxErnst said:
    Quote:
    MKW said:

Don't go picking fights with us Amuricuns '

I'm 'merican, but _not_ proud of it lately (middle-east). We make great software, and good inexpensive mass-produced cars. French make great wine and foods. Germans and Italians make great sports cars.

just my opinion.

Software will soon all be done in China/India if not already . The Koreans currently make the best mass produced cheap cars, superceding the Japanese who have moved upmarket , preceding the Chinese who will assume the Koreans' position in the next decade.
    We make war parts mainly and if you follow that industry - much of the new stuff doesn't work all that well but BOY does it bring home the bacon for politicians !!

Quote:
    Jeff (in SF) said:

Hey I posted facts which are not in dispute. Porsche is now a SUV company that also builds sport cars which are not selling. Why shoot the messenger?

Also,what does Ferrari have to do with this and why are you all so sensitive that Porsche has become what it is. Continue to enjoy your cars. The fact that they were built by a SUV company should not matter or does it?

The sooner Toyota buys out the Porsche and Piech heirs , the better , IMO.
    Let Ferrari continue to feed at the trough and corporate parts bin of the almighty FIAT , world's best run car company !!

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    Jeff (in SF) said:

Hey I posted facts which are not in dispute. Porsche is now a SUV company that also builds sport cars which are not selling. Why shoot the messenger?

Also,what does Ferrari have to do with this and why are you all so sensitive that Porsche has become what it is. Continue to enjoy your cars. The fact that they were built by a SUV company should not matter or does it?

I LOVE this guy. One year's (or was it one quarter's) sales data eclipses a 55 year company history and magically transforms Porsche into an SUV company. If that's the case then Ferrari became a common car company years ago when Fiat bought it. Ferrari's aren't real cars anyway - they're toys. But like toys, kids and the Fcar owners get tired of them real quick if you put any miles on them that's why they don't get driven much. Face it, any Fcar with 50K miles on it is disposable no matter what the year - that's why Ferrari can afford to offer an unlimited mileage warranty - they know it won't cost them anything to offer such a warranty cuz the cars don't get driven.

Jeff- don't be sucked into Sir Nix-A-Lot's lair as a gullible newbie . We old timers feel sorry for the poor guy so just humor him and occasionally stroke him so he doesn't hurt himself .

Quote:
    nberry said:

While I don't like the small division part of this statement I would absolutely love it if Porsche catered to the hard core enthusiast.

Where's my 2500 pound 500 hp mid engine GT3????

I think P should produce a sports sedan like the M5. That would be fantastic. It will be the only car manufacturer who offers the most complete driver's cars choices.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    ...Hey I posted facts which are not in dispute. Porsche is now a SUV company that also builds sport cars which are not selling. Why shoot the messenger?

Also,what does Ferrari have to do with this and why are you all so sensitive that Porsche has become what it is.

What Ferrari has to do with it? I thought in your life EVERYTHING has to do with it, doesn't it?
    It is kind of funny that so many people still respond to your topics...
    And I still didn't figured how you get so much time to post despite work, Ferrari and maybe a wife?

Anybody interested in a senseful discussion on that topic?
    The question wether a take-over by a major company would be a better deal than selling SUVs to save the company never occured to me.
    Porsche is, in business-terms, on par with other reputable premium companies like Bang&Olufsen and the likes. Nothing less.

The whole market is about buying these products - if people do, fine. If they don't, fine either.

Quote:
    nberry said:

Your "facts" only went undisputed because I initially couldn't be bothered, but now you've twisted my arm!

The "latest results (fiscal 2004)" you refer will be those for year ending July 31, 2004.

Those results cover a period when it was very widely known that both of the base sportscar models, 996 (911) and 986 (Boxster) were about to be replaced, leading to the "end of life-cycle" downturn in sales which every car manufacturer knows and loves.

Your sentence claiming that "sports cars continue to decline", written in the present tense in mid-November, when both new models are already on the market, could prove harmful to your credibility. But only if you had any.

Facts never were your strong point, Nick.

Quote:
    fritz said:

Right on. This fellow is the poster boy illustrating the sorry state of affairs in the law profession in this country.

So what, Nick? My 997 Carrera S still outruns your bling-bling F360. How much did you say have you paid for your car?
    And my Cayenne Turbo vs. F360 Modena comparison offer is still available. On a wet track, I even would do a Enzo vs. Cayenne Turbo comparison.

I really don't understand you, Nick. Is it some sort of hobby to provoke people here on the Porsche forum or do you really want to get banned, so you can cry out loud on other forums "look what Rennteam.com and that bad nazi RC did to me"? I don't get it, honestly.
    We all love cars, I don't expect from everybody to be unbiased but being provoked all the time isn't fun anymore. And trust me, you don't do Ferrari owners a favor with your posts because a lot of people here might get the wrong idea about Ferrari owners.

I always criticized Porsche for a lot of things and just recently I had a pretty harsh discussion with some Porsche employees which ended pretty much with a bad taste on my tongue and probably with the same feeling on their part.
    But I try to be fair, I try to view things from every perspective, I try to understand certain decisions and certain marketing strategies.
    What YOU are doing is pure provokation, there is no reason for doing that. So what? Porsche produces more Cayenne. No wonder, there has been a model change recently (986/987) but maybe you overlooked that. Of course people buy less cars if a model change is imminent. Also don't forget the current economic situation in Germany, the second most important market for Porsche. And the most interesting part: Porsche sells most Cayenne to the US, not to Germany. Over here, you see more Ferrari F360 on the street than Cayenne Turbo.

Please do yourself and us of course a favor and stay in the Ferrari forum. And do Porsche a favor and sell your Cayenne.

Quote:
    ADias said:
    Quote:
    fritz said:

Right on. This fellow is the poster boy illustrating the sorry state of affairs in the law profession in this country.

Indeed! Fortunately we also have members ... and future members ... of the legal profession posting rational, balanced and highly readable views here on the forum, thus saving us from descending to the depths of "generalizing", and damning the whole profession just because of a few "bad apples".

geeez... What's wrong with Nick's initial post on this thread?
    You guys jump at him whatever he says.
    --Pierre

Quote:
    RC said:
    So what, Nick? My 997 Carrera S still outruns your bling-bling F360. How much did you say have you paid for your car?
    And my Cayenne Turbo vs. F360 Modena comparison offer is still available. On a wet track, I even would do a Enzo vs. Cayenne Turbo comparison.

I really don't understand you, Nick. Is it some sort of hobby to provoke people here on the Porsche forum or do you really want to get banned, so you can cry out loud on other forums "look what Rennteam.com and that bad nazi RC did to me"? I don't get it, honestly.
    We all love cars, I don't expect from everybody to be unbiased but being provoked all the time isn't fun anymore. And trust me, you don't do Ferrari owners a favor with your posts because a lot of people here might get the wrong idea about Ferrari owners.

I always criticized Porsche for a lot of things and just recently I had a pretty harsh discussion with some Porsche employees which ended pretty much with a bad taste on my tongue and probably with the same feeling on their part.
    But I try to be fair, I try to view things from every perspective, I try to understand certain decisions and certain marketing strategies.
    What YOU are doing is pure provokation, there is no reason for doing that. So what? Porsche produces more Cayenne. No wonder, there has been a model change recently (986/987) but maybe you overlooked that. Of course people buy less cars if a model change is imminent. Also don't forget the current economic situation in Germany, the second most important market for Porsche. And the most interesting part: Porsche sells most Cayenne to the US, not to Germany. Over here, you see more Ferrari F360 on the street than Cayenne Turbo.

Please do yourself and us of course a favor and stay in the Ferrari forum. And do Porsche a favor and sell your Cayenne.

Hold on RC the last time you "censored me" I never said a word about it on any other forum.

What did I post that was untrue? If facts are now to be weighed with personal bias you and others have the problem not me.

Fritz, your beloved sport car in the US is being heavily discounted in the US. They are sitting on showroom floors hoping some enthusiast will buy the retro model. As for the other models have a look at this thread.

http://www.funcarsonline.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/102059/page/0/fpart/1/vc/1

Adias, I ignore you because I still of the opinion your some teen age Porsche fanatic whose father may own an old Porsche and you someday covet a new one. Your are nothing more than a nat to me and not worth responding to.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690774 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410024 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256130 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235368 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65732 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858695 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774923 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM