Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

GSM Phones coming to US

Face plates with SiM card holder & SOS button are starting to show up on US cars. Word is that with-in a couple of months (Jan?) a phone module will become available to make it work.
    (previous info here on Rennteam has proved corect again!)

Any clue as to what the cost may be?
    What does it cost for those of you in Europe that can get it allready?

Re: GSM Phones coming to US

Yes--all US 997s beginning with October production will have the PCM faceplate with the SIM card slot and telephone controls, and the integrated phone system is due to be available (for factory install & retrofit) by January. All 987s with PCM will have the same faceplate, as will Cayennes beginning with MY06.

I've also heard that people has successfully installed the Bluetooth kit from Motorola in 997s and Cayennes.

http://www.motorola.com/mdirect/hellomoto/experience/v710/flash/acc_vehicle.shtml?

On www.porsche.de car config the telephone module costs 767 Euros. I guess the States will have a similar price?

Euopean Friends

Could anyone provide a pic of the sim card drawer in the open position?

What was the activation procedure with your provider?

My 997 was an October build and I don't believe it has the slot - certainly not visible. where would it be?

And why with a late 2005 introduction would the idiots designing Porsche's electronics not integrate standard bluetooth like every other automotive company? Just on the off-chance that a few Americans with CDMA service would want to use their phones in the car?!

I happen to have GSM but why deal with the hastle of trying to get a second identical SIM card (even in Europe is sounds difficult to impossible according to various posts) plus the invariable $1,000 cost.

BMW has their Bungle and Porsche has their electronic design clowns.

Trundle996, the SIM drawer is just below the number pad.

Tony

I just took delivery os my 997s last Friday and the PCM has the Sim drawer and the SOS button. Here are some pics.

one more

I received mine three weeks ago - without the SIM slot or SOS.

Will they replace the facia?

Does anyone know if either of the GSM providers in the USA (i.e. Cingular or T-Mobile) are willing to provide a second SIM card for the same number? Or does one need to have a second number?

This is all so silly - especially for those with CDMA service (i.e. Verizon and Sprint)!

Not integrating Bluetooth causes so many completely unecessary complications and costs - especially for a car costing close to $100K.

Maybe they should invest in a few $25K Hondas and Toyotas and learn how it is done.

thats awesome... but it looks like they shafted the early adopters again...

Quote:
    Moogle said:
    thats awesome... but it looks like they shafted the early adopters again...

What is the missing button on the right of the SOS? Have not seen anything that uses it. Also, how do you select the external CD now that there is only one CD button?

Quote:
    pnoble said:
    Does anyone know if either of the GSM providers in the USA (i.e. Cingular or T-Mobile) are willing to provide a second SIM card for the same number? Or does one need to have a second number?

T-Mobile told me that I would have to buy a new SIM, with a new number. No duplicate SIMs allowed because of cloning/security issue, they said.

Thanks, Holminator.

You just saved me the hastle of speaking with T-Mobile! Get a second number? What was Porsche smoking when they came up with the idea? I understand it is the same situation in Europe so they can't blame this on local issues with the US market. But just the variety of US cellular formats alone would seem to argue for a Bluetooth approach.

I think I'm going to take the ~ $900 I would have had to spend with Porsche for their half-arsed solution (assuming they could even have upgraded my current PCM facia), and get the new, super thin Motorola Razr with a Bluetooth headset.

That's a half-arsed solution also, since it requires one to fiddle with the phone and or headset and manually mute the sound system volume, but at least I get the coolest phone on the planet and don't have to pay extortionate pricing to Porsche for their ill-conceived solution.

I guess every company has their strengths and weaknesses, and I'm thrilled with the 997S, but I'm just flabbergasted that a new car at this price point and introduced in late 2004 would have such a mickey-mouse approach to phone integration.

One advantage to the on-board phone is that it's output wattage should be higher than a portable and should work better in areas of weak siginal strength?

Quote:
    pnoble said:
    You just saved me the hastle of speaking with T-Mobile! Get a second number? What was Porsche smoking when they came up with the idea? I understand it is the same situation in Europe so they can't blame this on local issues with the US market.

For the sake of a different perspective on this issue:

I've had a so-called T-Mobile "Twin Card" here in Germany for about 6 years, and it works pretty well.
    In theory, I have two numbers, one for each card. In practice, all calls to either number are transferred to the last 'phone to be activated. I only need to pass one of the numbers on to other people, and don't even need to know or remember the other one myself! If hand-held and car phones are both switched on at the same time, the calls go through to the last one to be switched on.

The hassle involved is: remembering to re-activate my hand-held when I get out of the car, to avoid calls being transferred to my voice mailbox, because the hand-held rather stupidly does not automatically reactivate itself. A relatively minor problem in a very imperfect world?

It does sound as if T-Online USA needs to get its act together, though.

I'm using a Twin Card from Vodafone too but surprisingly, I got an offer from them a while ago to get a third card with a different number without any additional cost but with the need of minimum 5 Euro "consumation".
    So I'm using my first twin card in my portable cellular phone, the second one in my Cayenne and the third one (the one with the different number) in the 997 Carrera S.

In the UK, there is a much better system available with up to 10(!) SIM cards. They all are forwarded to the same phone number, you just have to activate the card you want to use with a 4-digit code. And you have to do that ONLY when you want to use a new phone. Very nice indeed.

Quote:
    RC said:
    In the UK, there is a much better system available with up to 10(!) SIM cards. They all are forwarded to the same phone number, you just have to activate the card you want to use with a 4-digit code. And you have to do that ONLY when you want to use a new phone. Very nice indeed.

Is this with Vodafone UK or some other operator?

Here in Switzerland, we can get a second SIM card with the same phone number for a one time fee of CHF 40.- (operator is Swisscom).

Fritz,

Why do they put everyone through this? And in the US maybe 70-75% of the market is anyhow not using GSM but another phone standard: CDMA, iDEN or even a third standard TDMA which is being phased out.

All cellular standards have Bluetooth phones available and there is a universal Bluetooth car standard: HFP (Hands Free Profile).

You get in the car and your phone automatically syncs up with the car. You only need to input your phone directory once into your phone and the phone connects to whichever car you are in.

It's that simple. At least if you drive a Japanese car!

Quote:
    pnoble said:
    Fritz,

Why do they put everyone through this? And in the US maybe 70-75% of the market is anyhow not using GSM but another phone standard: CDMA, iDEN or even a third standard TDMA which is being phased out.

All cellular standards have Bluetooth phones available and there is a universal Bluetooth car standard: HFP (Hands Free Profile).

You get in the car and your phone automatically syncs up with the car. You only need to input your phone directory once into your phone and the phone connects to whichever car you are in.

It's that simple. At least if you drive a Japanese car!

PNoble,

I agree 100,000%!

There is absolutely no Earthly excuse for not having a universal BlueTooth handsfree kit built into every Porsche made.

From Boxster through CGT.

EVERY Porsche!

Will Porsche be the very LAST car company to catch on?

Quote:
    pnoble said:
    Fritz,

Why do they put everyone through this?

I don't know.

What does Porsche say?

My point when describing my perspective of the current situation was that we do not all have a problem with it. So it may be a question of cellphone service providers not really providing the services which are technically feasible, as demonstrated by the fact that the TwinCard system works quite well here in Germany, for instance.

So not "everyone" is being put through this. Just those living in countries which chose to go with the "wrong" cellphone formats in the past, and which are now having to play "catchup"?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688883 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408862 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255605 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234846 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65442 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4638 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857703 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773631 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM