Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

PASM and 19' wheels

To you, for the Boxster S is so necessary to put on the 19' wheels(same width tyres but /35) or is better to install the PASM??? In the sense that the car will be better with 19' wheels or PASM???

Re: PASM and 19' wheels

I have had many discussions here and with my dealer about this, and also read the tests in Car, Autocar and Evo. I believe now that if you are having 19" wheels then PASM is very advisable as it smoothes out the firmer ride caused by the 35 profile tyres. It is not so necessary for this on the 18" wheels, but with both you get the advantage not only of a smoother ride quality, but a sports set up when you want it. It also automatically goes into sports mode if your driving style becomes more agressive, do a sudden lane change manoeuvre, accelerate or brake fiercely, minimising not only roll but nose up in acceleration and dive in braking. I have ordered a Boxster "S" on 19" wheels and I am having PASM. I think I would still have it if I was having 18" wheels.

thanks dreamcar. Have you also ordered the Sport Chrono Package??? I've read that is not a big option, you don't feel so much differences using it.

Quote:
    andrea said:
    thanks dreamcar. Have you also ordered the Sport Chrono Package??? I've read that is not a big option, you don't feel so much differences using it.

Hi

No sport chrono. I just could not get used to that silly stop watch on the dash. In any event here you could not use the timer on a circuit as for insurance purposes track days are strictly non-competitive and anyone caught timing is evicted. So I don't see the point.
    The feedback from my dealer is that on test drives with it on or off (on the 997) the difference is not that great. But RC has experience of it and he says that it is significant. So as we say you pays your money and takes your chance. For me I have already spent more than I planned so it was a fairly easy "not to have".

Guys, it really depends on what setup you want to have.
    I try to give you a few hints before some dealers really start talking BS.

1. the chrono sport package makes a HUGE difference, you can feel it right away regarding throttle way and throttle response. Whoever says that the difference is little, should get his head examined or...he just doesn't have a feeling for cars. Furthermore, the chrono sport package influences the rev limiter, PSM reaction, ABS reaction and many other things. For sporty drivers, chrono sport is a MUST, not matter if they like the watch or not (I hate it too). And what Tiptronic drivers might not know: the chrono sport package is like heaven for them, it changes shifting behaviour and reaction time dramatically.

2. PASM and 19'' wheels are the sportiest setup. Add the PCCB brake (expensive, ouch, I know) and you get the hell of a little racer. People still focus too much on HP figures but they should care as much about braking power and braking feel. If you can brake later, you're faster.
    Due to PASM and the possibility to switch to a more comfortable setup, the PASM/19'' combo is actually the best compromise for those who want comfort AND sportiness.

3. not getting PASM actually makes sense for those who want to install a coilover kit later on. But never forget: the Boxster was never developped for serious track racing, so installing a coilover kit might not be the wisest thing to do, especially if you track race the car.

4. 18'' and PASM makes great sense for those who want it sporty from time to time but not always. Switching to comfort mode also provides are more comfortable ride.

5. 18'' without PASM is actually the best solution for those who don't track race but still want a sporty setup without giving away too much comfort but at the same time without needing the comfortable ride of the PASM comfort setup.

I suggest testdriving a 997 in the setup you prefer to have a comparison. I know that some dealers don't really want to let Boxster customers drive a 997 but this is BS.
    Just tell the dealer you might be tempted to get a 911 instead of the Boxster but you have to drive one first.

Thanks for the detailed answer, RC. I have the 19" and PASM ordered on mine but no sport chrono. (yet another change of mind coming up?) Unfortunately my dealer does not have a sport chrono equipped demonstrator. All the sales guy tells me is that those who have tried it say it is a gimmick and makes little difference. I guess these guys buy for show rather than go? You are the only one who has tested and details the difference with sport chrono. The magazines that have tested both the 911 and the Boxster just mention it in passing, critisice the stop watch but make no mention of the driving benefits of this option. Clarkson on Top Gear took the p*ss out of it and I don't think the 997S Tiff Needell drove on 5th Gear had it fitted. My Boxster may do the very occasional Track Day but will be mainly for touring so you still think it is worthwhile in this case? I guess the difference will be more noticeable on the 997 because of its greater power?

My current 987 spec, is 19's without the PASM. To be honest I'd rather not add another Pounds1000 to my order, but after reading all of the reviews etc and comments on here, I too am getting the old dreamcar indecision!!

Has anyone driven a 997 on 19's with and without PASM? Is the ride in my boxster going to be really harsh without PASM???

Answeres on a postcard please!

I drove a 997 (non-S) with 19s and no PASM and it was fine (OK different chassis/ suspension setup) I also drove a 997S with PASM off and on and both settings were OK there although with PASM in sport mode it was a little hard. From my experience I thought the car w/o PASM rode closer to the comfort setting rather than the sport setting, perhaps something to do with the extra 10mm of suspension? But even if it rode closer to the Sport setting I'd still be OK with it.

Like you I'm also going for 19s no PASM and I'm happy with my choice. and I won't be putting coilovers or the like on the car.

One thing I am going to do though is try and meet with Dreamcar at the dealers one day and follow him to his money tree

Thanks for that Rich C, put my mind to rest. Standard sounds fine and I'm sure If I ever need it sportier in the future I can fit sport susp.

Now back to worrying about all the other options

A question: without PASM in Sport Mode and only with 18' or even 19' wheels, the car has only the "hard" set-up, in the sense there isn't no comfort??? So you suggest PASM only because it has inside the possibility to have a more comfortable set-up instead of harsh set-up???

Quote:
    andrea said:
    A question: without PASM in Sport Mode and only with 18' or even 19' wheels, the car has only the "hard" set-up, in the sense there isn't no comfort??? So you suggest PASM only because it has inside the possibility to have a more comfortable set-up instead of harsh set-up???

I suggest PASM as a good combo because you get actually two setups, a comfort setup and a very sporty one.
    The non-PASM suspension setup is much closer to PASM sport setup than to the comfort setup. If people don't want to retrofit a coilover kit but still want the sportiest stock setup, PASM is the way to go.

FOR RC: PASM and 19' wheels

Thanks RC, I have for you this last question. The not PASM set-up, is the same at 100% with PASM Sport Set-up or is close to it(I mean is it at 80% the same ?).I don't care about comfort mode, only sport and if without PASM I could obtain the same(or very close) result I will not take on the PASM, this is my problem.

Quote:
    Rich C (UK) said:
    One thing I am going to do though is try and meet with Dreamcar at the dealers one day and follow him to his money tree

Hey! Who struggled to make his mind up whether to have a 997 or a Boxster then ! You seem better at growing money trees than me. I repair ships for my job, so no-one is better than me at pleading poverty

On the subject of PASM when you get old like me you like a bit of comfort So my wife tells me anyway

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    On the subject of PASM when you get old like me you like a bit of comfort So my wife tells me anyway

I had problems with my back a couple of years ago - was going to get rid of the Boxster and swap if for something like a 330cab - but then found out the firm ride/ supportive seats of the Boxster were a lot better for my back than the BM - just had to take more care getting in and out of it. I was also running a VX220 Turbo at the time - that HAD to go

I e mailed Our Favourite Garage last night to ask if they can find a sport chrono equipped car for me to try. I can just imagine what the salesman is saying about me at the moment. (actually and and )

Update on Sport Chrono

My Friendly and ever patient Porsche dealer has a sport chrono equipped 997 which I will hopefully have a go in this weekend. I will post my impressions and whether I will need to pick some fruit off Rich C's money tree

Re: Update on Sport Chrono

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    My Friendly and ever patient Porsche dealer has a sport chrono equipped 997 which I will hopefully have a go in this weekend. I will post my impressions and whether I will need to pick some fruit off Rich C's money tree

Do me a favour: when driving the chrono sport package, drive for a while with chrono sport ACTIVATED and THEN switch the "sport" button off. You'll have the surprise of your life. Also try to do some sharp turns (really sharp! ) with chrono sport OFF and ON. Pay attention on how the PSM(ESP) reacts.

Have fun and be careful, especially when chrono sport is active.

A quick question for RC. Do you think I should spec PASM? My dealer highly recomends this as he reckons the ride is much improved, but I'm getting a 2.7 with standard 17"" wheels and hence question whether this is really needed as the ride should be pretty good anyway.

An answer from a different RC

I had 17"s on my old S and a colleague had 18"s on theirs - this was pre PASM days but they rode fine on both combos - if it's just ride quality your worried about the 17/18s w/o PASM shouldn't be a problem.

From what I've heard I'd actually say you'd only want PASM with 17s if you wanted a more sporty ride....

Quote:
    Rich C (UK) said:
    An answer from a different RC

I had 17"s on my old S and a colleague had 18"s on theirs - this was pre PASM days but they rode fine on both combos - if it's just ride quality your worried about the 17/18s w/o PASM shouldn't be a problem.

From what I've heard I'd actually say you'd only want PASM with 17s if you wanted a more sporty ride....

I'd disagree there, Rich. The two 997's I have driven recently down the same roads (only a week apart) were a standard 997 on 18" wheels without PASM and the Carrera "S" on 19" wheels with PASM. The "S" was by far the more compliant ride with PASM in normal. The sport setting, surprisingly, was closer to the ride on the 18" wheeled, standard suspension car - particularly down a slow road which is very bumpy in parts which is part of the dealer's revised test route. I am totally convinced by the benefits of PASM. On any wheels, but obviously more beneficial on the larger wheels. The dealer now very strongly recommends it on the 19" wheels.

Comments: PASM and 19' wheels or 18"s and possibly PASM

I have another perspective on the 19"s. These ultra low profile tires are very easily damaged by curbs, potholes, etc. Low air pressure is not easy to detect without using a pressure guage, so you might not be aware of picking up a nail before the tire is damaged beyond repair. Replacing tires is VERY expensive as U usually wind up buying pairs. So for me, who only occasionally wants to drive sport mode, and needs day to day comfort for commuting on some poor roads, I'll stick to 18"s and possibly add PASM too. I guess I'll try to drive an S with 18's and no PASM first to see if the comfor level is acceptable. Comments thoughts????

Re: Comments: PASM and 19' wheels or 18"s and possibly PASM

Quote:
    Bill Bender said:
    I have another perspective on the 19"s. These ultra low profile tires are very easily damaged by curbs, potholes, etc. Low air pressure is not easy to detect without using a pressure guage, so you might not be aware of picking up a nail before the tire is damaged beyond repair. Replacing tires is VERY expensive as U usually wind up buying pairs. So for me, who only occasionally wants to drive sport mode, and needs day to day comfort for commuting on some poor roads, I'll stick to 18"s and possibly add PASM too. I guess I'll try to drive an S with 18's and no PASM first to see if the comfor level is acceptable. Comments thoughts????

Hi Bill, and welcome to Rennteam
    I have recently driven both 997 models with and without PASM and I was amazed how much harder the 18" tyred (standard) car on uneven road surfaces than the 19" tyred ("S") was with PASM. I am having a Boxster "S" with 19" wheels and PASM - and for me, I would still have PASM on 18" wheels. If you do come over all sporty then you have sports suspension already there at a push of a button, or automatically if PASM detects you are driving more agressively.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688317 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408614 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255490 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234726 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65354 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4634 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857498 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773231 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM