Crown

Board: Porsche - Taycan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review

Just saw a Taycan in the street followed by some 992’s. The Taycan was louder than the rest 😄

--

997.2 4S / BMW 745e / Donkervoort GT 

992s must have been in normal mode.  Even if so, my new C4S is much louder than the Taycan I drove last week.  Not saying either is better, just different.

Interesting lap by a Taycan at the Nurburgring, 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON2_4b107xY&t=332s

Drove the Taycan turbo on a track - comparing it to the 992 turbo s.

It is impressive how the Taycan handles. Steering, suspension, brakes - everything feels super precise and direct. The car is easy to drive fast on a track. I also liked the sound generator a lot. It adds a very nice noise experience.

Of course, the agility in corners is less good than in a 992 turbo s. But still extremely impressive. Also, the weight pushes a lot in curves compared to a turbo s. Then, the tires also suffer from the high weight, compared to a turbo s.

All in all an extremely refined car if driven fast on a track.

I am a bit surprised though how many people are totally overwhelmed by the power delivery of these cars. Of course, the Taycan turbo offers a very nice power and is super quick. But if you are used to high-performance cars (like the turbo s) I would not call the power delivery and intensity an astonishing feature of the Taycan. I am more impressed by how Porsche managed to build such a refined and superbly handling car. Great job indeed.

MKSGR:

Drove the Taycan turbo on a track - comparing it to the 992 turbo s.

It is impressive how the Taycan handles. Steering, suspension, brakes - everything feels super precise and direct. The car is easy to drive fast on a track. I also liked the sound generator a lot. It adds a very nice noise experience.

Of course, the agility in corners is less good than in a 992 turbo s. But still extremely impressive. Also, the weight pushes a lot in curves compared to a turbo s. Then, the tires also suffer from the high weight, compared to a turbo s.

All in all an extremely refined car if driven fast on a track.

I am a bit surprised though how many people are totally overwhelmed by the power delivery of these cars. Of course, the Taycan turbo offers a very nice power and is super quick. But if you are used to high-performance cars (like the turbo s) I would not call the power delivery and intensity an astonishing feature of the Taycan. I am more impressed by how Porsche managed to build such a refined and superbly handling car. Great job indeed.

The is what differentiates the Taycan from the Tesla models and why Porsche charges a higher price for its products. The overall experience is much greater than the sum of the individual parts.  

MKSGR:

Do you really compare the Taycan Turbo S with a 991.2 Turbo S? Haven't you noticed anything about the throttle response? Especially while driving, not from a stop? Even the new 992.1 Turbo S has a tiny turbo lag at certain rev figures but you need a n/a car (or a Taycan Turbo S) to notice that. Smiley

Try this: Taycan Turbo S and 992.1 Turbo S one next to each other, both in Sport Plus mode and auto mode and at a speed of 100 kph.

Then, floor the pedal and see what happens. I bet you the Taycan Turbo S is at least a car length ahead before the 992.1 Turbo S even downshifted. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

RC:
    MKSGR:

Do you really compare the Taycan Turbo S with a 991.2 Turbo S? Haven't you noticed anything about the throttle response? Especially while driving, not from a stop? Even the new 992.1 Turbo S has a tiny turbo lag at certain rev figures but you need a n/a car (or a Taycan Turbo S) to notice that. Smiley

Try this: Taycan Turbo S and 992.1 Turbo S one next to each other, both in Sport Plus mode and auto mode and at a speed of 100 kph.

Then, floor the pedal and see what happens. I bet you the Taycan Turbo S is at least a car length ahead before the 992.1 Turbo S even downshifted. Smiley

I compared both cars on track directly after each other. Thus, my above impressions factor in all feelings I had. Thus, I disagree with your thoughts. In practice, I could not see a benefit of the electrical car in this regard. In fact, I was quite a bit underwhelmed in the direct comparison (by the electrical power, not by the refinement of the car as described above).

I think you are the only guy on this planet who isn't impressed with the throttle response of the Taycan Turbo S. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

MKSGR:

In practice, I could not see a benefit of the electrical car in this regard. In fact, I was quite a bit underwhelmed in the direct comparison (by the electrical power, not by the refinement of the car as described above).

you missed an important part of the advantage of electrical power then. because the lag on turbo S is there and the instant punch of the Taycan is noticeable. Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

RC:

I think you are the only guy on this planet who isn't impressed with the throttle response of the Taycan Turbo S. Smiley

It is excellent, you are right. But on a track in SportsPlus you don't notice much of a difference as the turbo engine is in optimum rev range all the time Smiley If you are cruising in normal mode and then suddenly press the throttle (without using the Boost button in the 992) there will certainly be a bigger difference Smiley

the-missile:
    MKSGR:

In practice, I could not see a benefit of the electrical car in this regard. In fact, I was quite a bit underwhelmed in the direct comparison (by the electrical power, not by the refinement of the car as described above).

you missed an important part of the advantage of electrical power then. because the lag on turbo S is there and the instant punch of the Taycan is noticeable. Smiley

But not "under fire" (i.e. in a situation of spirited driving like on the track or fast on any other road in SportPlus mode). In cruising situations this is probably different. 

In summary, I was a bit underwhelmed by the electrical concept per se. At the same time I was very much impressed by the refinement of the Taycan in terms of steering, handling, braking. 

Not that it makes a difference, but to be clear you were driving a Taycan Turbo, not a Taycan Turbo S ?

MKSGR:
    the-missile:
    MKSGR:

But not "under fire" (i.e. in a situation of spirited driving like on the track or fast on any other road in SportPlus mode). In cruising situations this is probably different. 

In summary, I was a bit underwhelmed by the electrical concept per se. At the same time I was very much impressed by the refinement of the Taycan in terms of steering, handling, braking. 

Do you still realize there is a 600+ kg difference between the 2 cars, don’t you?

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

the-missile:
    MKSGR:
    the-missile:
    MKSGR:

Do you still realize there is a 600+ kg difference between the 2 cars, don’t you?

Of course, that is an obvious difference between the cars. But a difference that is a natural outcome of the EV concept.

Wonderbar:

Not that it makes a difference, but to be clear you were driving a Taycan Turbo, not a Taycan Turbo S ?

Correct Smiley

You understand the 600kg difference but also similar performance achievement in the 0-200km/h band including All acceleration trials at various speed and whatnot. But still not overwhelmed by such car able to deliver similar performance than the most powerful 911? 

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

the-missile:

You understand the 600kg difference but also similar performance achievement in the 0-200km/h band including All acceleration trials at various speed and whatnot. But still not overwhelmed by such car able to deliver similar performance than the most powerful 911? 

You get nice acceleration (but nothing I would not have expected) - but also a very limited range. Not so impressed by the EV concept. Only how they managed to make the car so refined and well handling.

Porsche over here does not allow driving a Taycan demo car on a track and claims, that it is because of the warranty statement and potential battery issues. If you own a Taycan and have read all the fine print, I'm interested in your opinion.

Cheers 🙌🏼
    Rick 

schmoell:

Porsche over here does not allow driving a Taycan demo car on a track and claims, that it is because of the warranty statement and potential battery issues. If you own a Taycan and have read all the fine print, I'm interested in your opinion.

Cheers 🙌🏼
    Rick 

The car I drove was a Porsche factory car Smiley

RC:
    MKSGR:

RC... The Taycan Turbo S cannot get one car length ahead of the 992.1 Turbo S, at least in this video:

https://youtu.be/l2ojCqhqGZ8

MKSGR:
    schmoell:

Cheers 🙌🏼
    Rick 

The car I drove was a Porsche factory car Smiley

That's what I assumed and I've driven the Taycan at Hockenheim also (and loved it, except for fast long curves where it could not hide the weight). But Porsche may have different rules for their own cars. Just guessing ... 

the-missile:
    MKSGR:

Smiley I honestly do not understand how Markus could not notice any substantial(!) difference in throttle response. This is actually what makes the Taycan Turbo S so much fun. 

--

boytronic:
    RC:
    MKSGR:

RC... The Taycan Turbo S cannot get one car length ahead of the 992.1 Turbo S, at least in this video:

Are you sure? 
    Check out 6:50 and especially 8:05... Smiley 911 stands no chance.

Of course Markus didn't notice, he is too biased with his love for the 911 Turbo S. Smiley

--

RC:
    boytronic:
    RC:
    MKSGR:

Are you sure? 

Of course Markus didn't notice, he is too biased with his love for the 911 Turbo S. Smiley

Certainly, I can say that the Taycan will not blow away people who are used to cars in the 992 turbo s class. Of course, everything depends on your benchmark... There will be many people (millions probably) whom you can easily impress with a test ride in a Taycan. But we are discussing on a different level here Smiley

P.S.: You should probably do another test drive on a track and comparing the Taycan to a proper benchmark in this environment... Might help you to refine your memories.

Have you seen the video? Nothing more to say. On a country road and even on the Autobahn, the Taycan Turbo S would instantly pull away...until the 911 Turbo S plays catch-up. Instant acceleration without lag, worth gold. 

You don't get it when you always drive that turbo crap. Smiley

--

RC:

Have you seen the video? Nothing more to say. On a country road and even on the Autobahn, the Taycan Turbo S would instantly pull away...until the 911 Turbo S plays catch-up. Instant acceleration without lag, worth gold. 

You don't get it when you always drive that turbo crap. Smiley

--

When the 992 turbo is driven in the correct rev range you will observe the opposite - i.e. the 992 reacts more aggressively to throttle input. Like on track or on a country road (or Autobahn) in SportPlus. Needless to say that the Taycan gets comparatively slower at higher speeds before it hits the wall at 260.

It is intersting that you are so positive about the acceleration of the Taycan. Driven slower in daily traffic the EV concept has an advantage - if you need it there. But driven aggressively the Taycan turbo s has no chance. And it also feels weaker, that‘s why this aspect does not convince me. The rest of the Taycan is wonderful though.

RC:

Several years ago, I traded cars with my wife for a day.  She was driving my Panamera Turbo, I was driving her 2012 Tesla model S. 

She told me she would never drive the Panamera again.  She said it almost killed her because of the hesitation when she attempted to pull across a heavily travelled highway to join perpendicular traffic.

After getting used to EV throttle response, it's very difficult to go back.

--

Mike

918 Spyder + Tesla Roadster 1.5 & Model S P100D AP2 + Panamera Turbo S E-Hybrid +  BMW Z8 + BMW 3.0 CSi + Bentley Arnage T

--

RC:
    boytronic:
    RC:
    MKSGR:

Are you sure? 

BTW, at 6.50 the 992 is in "normal" mode (i.e. cruising at lower revs, you can see this as the rear wing is in low posi).

At 8.05 the 992 driver misses the start.

If you go to 9,30 you can see exactly what I described above: the 992 is in SportPlus. And suddenly both cars have an identical start (of course the 992 will then kill the Taycan S if the acceleration would continue).

Thus, the video is exactly confirming what I described above Smiley

if a 2.2 tons sporty car with electrified heart is reacting the same way as a 911 flagship in regards to acceleration is not astonishing then what else do you need? indecision

I am not sure if it is in favor of Taycan or to the detriment of the 911...I would have expected the 911 to blow the sedan...

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688265 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408601 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255489 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234712 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65349 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4634 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857476 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773197 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM