Crown

Board: Porsche - Taycan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review

smiley 

Chris Harris Drives Taycan Turbo S

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qyKhP4lzsY

BONES:

Chris Harris Drives Taycan Turbo S

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qyKhP4lzsY

BBC Top Gear: Chris Harris drives Porsche Taycan Turbo S

...thanks and all due credit and respect to Chris Harris!  E0F26BDD-E91B-4EF4-964B-7C4204B9E420.gif

--

Would be fun to see if Elon would set up such a thing for their clients to play with and 'showcase' his 'performance' cars. 

The Porsche Winter Driving Experience is a highly recommended course. The Finland one is their center piece, with the most cars and widest range of cars available. And if one is convincing enough, you can even ask them to take their Panamera turbo S chauffeur cars and go crazy drifting around those roads too. Or the Cayennes. 

I believe the 918 is off the menu now, replaced by the Taycan. Cup Cars however are still on the list.

Not a cheap course, and traveling there is a bitch for North Americans. Well Europeans too, needing a transfer from Helsinki and the flight schedules don't match up well either. China have their own version every winter for Asian customers and Quebec also for North Americans. 

--

Yes the 918 is gone, at least it was this year. The cup cars where replaced by the Caymen GT4 clubsport this year (for the Ice force Pro) The Taycan was great on the ice very easy to drive. Like you say I would be surprised if Tesla would set up something like this!

I fail to see any point to this Porsche Experience.

--

When you're going through hell.....keep going.

nberry:

Money.  What else?  Would be boring with a Tesla - they don’t slide. But hey - if you are looking for things Porsche is superior at then I give you this ‘experience’. Says a lot. 

I did this experience about 15 years ago with my oldest son.  It was called Camp 4 at the time,  We drove on ice for two days, snowmobiled through an arctic forest to a cabin where we enjoyed beer and a hot feast, drove Cayennes on a frozen lake, and met some lifelong friends.  I still have the gloves and parka that we were given as favors.  When we started out each morning, it was -20°F, but the sun was brilliant every day. Porsche did a fabulous job as our host. I never got much of a hang of it, driving at 20 miles an hour on ice is quite the challenge. But overall, the experience was one of the most unique  and memorable ones of my life.i

Looks like a regular winter drive in Alberta! 

JR-550:

Yes the 918 is gone, at least it was this year. The cup cars where replaced by the Caymen GT4 clubsport this year (for the Ice force Pro) The Taycan was great on the ice very easy to drive. Like you say I would be surprised if Tesla would set up something like this!

Actually the Cup car is there. There was a Cup car driving session after the regular scheduled ones are done. It was mostly for those that are doing the Porsche Racing Experience, call it additional car control session.

--

nberry:

It's all about car control.

On normal surface, the limit is extremely high and a mistake will means expensive repairs or injuries. On ice, the limit is greatly reduced to a much safer speed. Drivers can probe, test, exceed the car's limit without consequences. Worse that can happened is having the car parked on top of a snow bank and needed a tow from the Cayennes. 

Having the skill to recognize and control a car at the limit is a very underrated skill for street driving. Correcting understeer or oversteer, holding the car at a certain direction and recovery from near spins could come in handy on the street. You may not ever needing to use such a skill, but if such a moment does materialized, you will be glad your brain can process the situation and save yourself from a crash or something. Having the experience of feeling the car approaching it's limit and exceeding it is a great help.

It is also hugely entertaining and satisfying. One can go from a novice where they had never slide a car, to slowly going around a circle and holding a drift for a complete circle, to holding a drift around the circle for 10s of minutes and adjusting the size of the circle or the angle of the drift with only your right foot. And that's just the very first lesson. 

--

nberry:

Fun for people who have money to spend? Smiley Smiley

Your wife buys a Hermes bag, you fly to Finland to enjoy Porsches on ice and snow. What is wrong with that? Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

I’m sorry but drifting on ice is child’s play. I did it when I was 14. Yes you learn how to control slides on ice but that is like learning to tumble under water. It really does not prepare you for a 150 mph slide in the real world. You may think it does, which would be a giant mistake. 

Leawood911:

I’m sorry but drifting on ice is child’s play. I did it when I was 14. Yes you learn how to control slides on ice but that is like learning to tumble under water. It really does not prepare you for a 150 mph slide in the real world. You may think it does, which would be a giant mistake. 

This. Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

It is one of the best things one can do, period! smiley

Tesla adds an undocumented feature to its cars.  

Tesla Model 3 Steering Wheel Falls Off While Driving: Will Car Fall Apart Too?

Talk about quality control issues...The owner is concerned about the rest of the car falling to bits too.

Andrei Nedelea

Tesla is a young manufacturer and it therefore can’t quite match the level of fit and finish that established premium automakers provide. We’ve heard of sketchy panel gaps, paint issues and misaligned trim pieces, but this is to our knowledge the first time a Tesla’s steering wheel has fallen off in the driver’s hands (and while driving, no less).

The report comes straight from Blackpool, the United Kingdom, where a fresh Model 3 owner, who had received his car for around a month, so it’s essentially a brand new vehicle, reported that the steering wheel came off just as he was reversing into his driveway. On that day, the car had been driven for around 20 miles, and the owner considers himself lucky that the wheel-off incident occurred exactly at the end of his journey.

He mentions other problems he had with the car beforehand. It was apparently due to be delivered in October of last year, but it only arrived after mid-March when the COVID-19 epidemic lockdown order had been enforced and he couldn’t really drive it anymore. He still managed to put some 340 miles on the car since he took delivery, but it’s far less than he was planning; the owner says he is a longtime Tesla fan who had been waiting to own one of these cars for eight years...

Jason T@JasonTuatara

@elonmusk Steering wheel fell of today! Concerned that the rest of the car will fall to bits too! Can this be looked into as to why it’s happened to a car just over 1 month old! #TeslaServiceIssues

View image on Twitter

2:03 PM - Apr 26, 2020

Twitter Ads info and privacy

253 people are talking about this

Tesla collected the car and returned it the next day with the steering wheel properly attached. According to the NY Post, which quotes the owner,

‘ Tesla confirmed that the steering wheel was not fixed to the body of the car with a bolt, and they are looking into what happened on production. The Driving and Cecile standards agency here in the UK is also doing a full investigation. ‘

external_image

However, you can imagine how such an event can dent one’s confidence in a car (and the automaker that built it), especially since it’s an automaker with a patchy record when it comes to assembly quality. This is not the first time a Tesla was delivered with missing bolts, yet this time one of those was supposed to hold the steering wheel in place, so it's a lot more serious than before.

And before you take to the comments to let us know other manufacturers have this issue, we did some research to see if other (established) automakers have similar issues. It turns out Ford issued a recall for 1.4-million cars in 2018 whose steering wheels could fall off - the cause was a steering wheel bolt that was too short and it could cause a similar issue to what this Model 3 owner reported.

Hyundai also recalled some 44,000 Santa Fe and Santa Fe Sport models in February of 2018 for a similar issue. We didn’t find any information on Hyundai wheels falling off, but Ford Fusion sedan owners did report their wheels becoming loose or wobbly and even falling off altogether. However, it has to be said that in these two instances, this was a design issue (the bolt was not long enough and it eventually worked itself free), not an assembly problem.

Source: New York Post

Josef:

Smiley I would do this all the time if I could afford it. Why is fun wrong? Smiley I play video games with my son, this is child's play too but I enjoy it tremendously, especially when father and son try to find glitches and/or do some cheating together. Smiley

--

Camp 4 was an excellent experience.  Winter driving in a HiPo sports car is significantly different from doing the same in a 1970s family sedan with barely enough horsepower to hit 60 mph.  

Yes, I the 911 cup cars were there but only of the 2-day expert program. This cost app 14.000 euro for 2 days way too expensive to my opinion. I drove the 911 cup car on ice before and found very difficult to control. The Caymen GT4 club on the other hand was easier to drive and more fun. Just a bit small from the inside with helmet, winter coat, roll bar etc.

We go every year with a group of 8 friends from all over the world. We have in total 5 nationalities all over the world in our group. It is always great fun to see each other, drive beautiful Porsches, have a few beers and fun.

IMG_4926.jpegPorsche Ice Experience_IFP_W2_30_01_2020_0132_222167.jpeg

Smiley Smiley

--

Josef:

Fully agree. It's just so much fun. This year I took my 19yr old son with me the first time and we had a blast. After we returned home he took the Merc V-Class (big car, lots of seats) joined by a whole bunch of friends for skiing. 2h hours after they left he called and said: "I've almost thrown shit box away (=nickname of the Merc), because there was ice on the autobahn exit, but thanks to Lappland everything was fine, we just went sideways" . I'm not too sure if that reasoning is correct, but maybe it is

I’m sure it is fun but it is also in slow motion. It will teach you about ice if you don’t get on it much but I would prefer to pay that kind of money to drive the Cup car in the dry or even rain. 
    IMHO the key to speed is to be way ahead of what the car is doing.  Never let it force you into decisions, then you are along for the ride.  Think and react quicker so that I you almost grow impatient with the cars progress. One of the best ways to work on your reflexes and get into that zone - if you don’t have millions - is a good simulator.  Check out my hot laps in the sim thread for what I mean by staying aggressive and ahead of the car.  A bit more going on per split second than on ice. 

Leawood911:

I’m sure it is fun but it is also in slow motion. It will teach you about ice if you don’t get on it much but I would prefer to pay that kind of money to drive the Cup car in the dry or even rain. 
    IMHO the key to speed is to be way ahead of what the car is doing.  Never let it force you into decisions, then you are along for the ride.  Think and react quicker so that I you almost grow impatient with the cars progress. One of the best ways to work on your reflexes and get into that zone - if you don’t have millions - is a good simulator.  Check out my hot laps in the sim thread for what I mean by staying aggressive and ahead of the car.  A bit more going on per split second than on ice. 

Or you could just go to your local Porsche Experience Centre where the Kick Plate, Ice Hill, and Low Friction Tracks allow a similar (but smaller) experience for a fraction of the price - obviously when they are safe to open up again. Still, the Lapland experience looks like a lot of fun :)

Everybody who is into cars, should once do ice driving in Lapland. The whole experience is like nothing else! I think it was my best car experience so far!

Leawood911:

Bravo.Smiley

What this is rich adults Disneyland on ice. If I had to do two days of spinning out and sliding into snow banks I’d blow my brains out. Smiley As one poster indicated the kick plate exercise in a few minutes will give you all you need to know that any car in very slippery conditions for the most part can’t be controlled. It’s a matter of luck if you do. The lesson is don’t drive on ice and if you must drive slow. I don’t need to spend almost $20,000 to learn that.Smiley

--

When you're going through hell.....keep going.

That was a great review. Sounds like a winner, especially when your daughter describes it as a "sound like a car from the future".  Smiley Very interesting and I want to drive it myself to know what it feels like. 

Thank you. Yes, I liked the Taycan Turbo S a lot but range and the price tag need improvements. Smiley

--

Drove a Taycan 4S yesterday, came away very pleasantly surprised! It really shines dynamically, it feels rock solid on the road, the steering communicates as you'd expect. I even enjoyed that fake sound. Acceleration below 100 is really impressive, above 100 it fades a bit. I think for my taste a Turbo would be perfect. Really nice product!

--

1969 Mercedes-Benz 300SEL 6.3  / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS (sold) / 2011 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Performance / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 Clubsport

I drove a Taycan 4S last week—super product.  Somehow, just couldn’t choose it over the 992C4S I got.  I have to say I still like the sound and the shape of a 992 better than the Taycan shape/sound. Also, just can’t help thinking this is the start of a product line, and I’d like to wait to see how it sorts out in two or three years. Finally, one of the reasons I let the Panamera go was that I no longer need four seats.  Lease cost for the 992 and the Taycan are about equal.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688317 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408614 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255490 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234726 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65354 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4634 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857498 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773231 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM