Crown

Board: Porsche - Taycan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review

Porsche and for free in the same sentenceindecision

But with an online store it may happen.

Doesn't BMW already do certain software updates remotely?  

xpto:

Porsche and for free in the same sentenceindecision

But with an online store it may happen.

For free? I doubt it.

My GLC 63S AMG (facelift with MBux) had the option to buy DAB (digital radio) through the online software store and to unlock it for the car. So the hardware is there, you basically just unlock the software. Not really worth over 200 EUR.  Smiley Same goes to other functions, which are basically useless. Only thing I like is the native Tidal integration, it works well.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

interesting video Taycan vs Tesla performance. 

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-s-vs-porsche-taycan-turbo-s-real-race-crushes-top-gear-results/

--

When you're going through hell.....keep going.

Brooks knows his drag racing.  That’s the latest Cheetah mode.  Want to hear about how the car does not handle as well again - cornering in a two ton sedan is not a good idea - can we agree.  I would really like to compare the handling of the model3 to the Porsche. Much better comparison on that front. The new track mode v2 is a hoot. 

Zzzzz💤

Wonderbar:

Zzzzz💤

$100,000 more ZzzzzzSmiley

--

I Zzzzzzzzz much better with ($142,000) left. 
    But seriously - electric cars are sooooo much fun.  I did not post Brook’s video. I see tons of similar stuff and never share it here. Why bother?

Guys, I’ll say it again. I like Tesla and I like Porsche. It’s the age old “comparison” argument that puts me to sleep.  If you like Porsche, buy one. If you like Tesla, buy one. wink

Wonderbar:

Guys, I’ll say it again. I like Tesla and I like Porsche. It’s the age old “comparison” argument that puts me to sleep.  If you like Porsche, buy one. If you like Tesla, buy one. wink

You're missing the point. This is a car site and comparisons between models is the essence of this blog. Your problem is you don't want any other car comparison with Porshe's that demonstrate possible superiority considering price and performance.

If you choose to bury your head in the sand, that's fine. Don't try to impose your hide under a bushel basket approach with the rest of us.Smiley

--

Wonderbar:

I have always owned a Porsche (8 in 40 years). I also have a model 3 performance. Hardly ever drive the turbo 997 any longer.  Hate to say it - but if you have not driven a Model 3 performance you really have no clue. If you are all about paying double the price for interior trim and leather you really miss the point of a car site.  Most drivers don’t give a flying you know what about anything other than fun per $. Nothing else matters to me.  Now you know my choice for the metric. Up until the Model 3 nothing met my criteria as well as a 911.  The Taycan, even at half the price, does nothing for me at all. It would still be too expensive to insure, repair and charge. 
    What is your metric?  I can only imagine. Lol 
    If you are not interested in a topic feel free to share that. Attempting to keep people from posting harmless stuff - from people who have honest opinions and no agenda is ridiculous. If you don’t want to be on this board watch TV. Smiley
    Anyway, I only posted because my good buddy Nick did us a favor and put his neck out there with a valid comparison. Thanks again. Feel free to comment how I have not posted hardly anything T related in this thread for months. I guess that does not count - just one infraction and we are expected to halt. Too funny  - but I can’t help myself when this happens.  Beers and cheers. 

Leawood911:

Brooks knows his drag racing.  That’s the latest Cheetah mode.  Want to hear about how the car does not handle as well again - cornering in a two ton sedan is not a good idea - can we agree.  I would really like to compare the handling of the model3 to the Porsche. Much better comparison on that front. The new track mode v2 is a hoot. 

Do you not know how much fun it can be to corner and drift a 2+ ton Panamera turbo S? Smiley

Heck, even the 918 is 4000lbs, and that thing is a hoot also!

I haven't done it myself, but I have been driven in a Cayenne turbo S at Paul Ricard sideways through EVERY CORNER. 

Literally your brain simply cannot calibrate to accept such feats. 

--

Nick and Leawood, you are talking to your friend here.  In every one of my emails on this thread, I have continually said I like Tesla and admire Musk. I have also said my wife is hoping to get. model 3 and that the Taycan does not appeal to me because my Panamera is roomier and just as fast. Further I said that a high ranking Porsche official told me at the Frankfurt Show that the Taycan would not have been built if Tesla hadn’t shown the way, and I wrote that if Porsche does not view the cars as rivals, why should we? 

But so called “comparison” tests, drag races, you-can-get-2 for the price of on arguments  are not helpful to me. It doesn’t matter what cars you are comparing—Ferrari to Porsche, Tesla to Corvette, BMW to Aston, on and on.  They are mostly written by journalists who set the stage for some “Battle of the Giants” sort of thing.  The tests themselves create passionate arguments and separate camps.  When I consider a purchase, I evaluate my own needs and preferences and finances overall.  Those are my metrics.  Over the years I have owned Ferraris, Corvettes, BMWS, Audis, Acuras, etc., and have never used a “comparison” test to inform my decision. 

Perhaps my zzzz post was provocative, and for that I apologize. I hope I have clarified my views👍

I cannot count the number of videos posted on this blog comparing cars. It’s what makes RT worth visiting. Sure you take them with some skepticism but they are far better than the chatter you often read in many of the threads. 

Your post took me by surprise and I probably overreacted. It certainly was out of character for you and I should have understood that. We’re good. kisswink

--

Leawood911:

I Zzzzzzzzz much better with ($142,000) left. 
    But seriously - electric cars are sooooo much fun.  I did not post Brook’s video. I see tons of similar stuff and never share it here. Why bother?

Let me continue this for you: 

But seriously - electric cars are sooooo much fun...if you have another old school petrol engine fun car in the garage to compare it with. 

I would never ever in my life switch my Performante with a Taycan Turbo S and I really love this car, amazing tech for way too much money. Owning both would be fun though, enjoying the future in the Taycan Turbo S and being reminded (by the Performante) how great the past was and still is. Smiley​​​​​​​

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

Wonderbar!  Thanks more the explanation and sorry if I took it the wrong way. 
    RC - to me the EV is simply more fun on every level than my turbo. I must be getting old but then I never like loud cars and silently blowing away everyone without raising alarm is my thing. 
    Whoopsy - I also enjoyed driving a uHaul truck to Portland for two days straight.  It is still better at large loads than cornering if you know what I mean. 

Leawood911:

RC - to me the EV is simply more fun on every level than my turbo. I must be getting old but then I never like loud cars and silently blowing away everyone without raising alarm is my thing. 
    Whoopsy - I also enjoyed driving a uHaul truck to Portland for two days straight.  It is still better at large loads than cornering if you know what I mean. 

I get it but then, your Turbo isn't exactly what I would call a very "emotional" car. Smiley Try a GT3 RS instead and you'll understand. I had a 997.1 Turbo RUF 550 for five(!) years and while the car was loud as hell (100 cell catalytic converter, Cargraphic exhaust specifically "adapted" (they had to adapt the software) by RUF for my car because they usually use their own exhaust system), it was kind of boring to drive. Lots of fun on the Autobahn full throttle but otherwise, I got bored fast. The chassis just wasn't what I expected and manually switching gears with the Tiptronic was just a pain in the ass. 

I get your enthusiasm for EVs, I really do, the Taycan Turbo S would be tomorrow in my garage if I could afford it. Seriously. Amazing EV but I could never live with an EV only.

--

Leawood911:

Depending on where you live in the US I can even understand why an EV might be the best solution. Speed limits, long straight roads etc. 

I love the (not too loud) V8 rumble in my RS6. Nuff said from my point of view wink

RC:
    Leawood911:

I get it but then, your Turbo isn't exactly what I would call a very "emotional" car. Smiley Try a GT3 RS instead and you'll understand. I had a 997.1 Turbo RUF 550 for five(!) years and while the car was loud as hell (100 cell catalytic converter, Cargraphic exhaust specifically "adapted" (they had to adapt the software) by RUF for my car because they usually use their own exhaust system), it was kind of boring to drive. Lots of fun on the Autobahn full throttle but otherwise, I got bored fast. The chassis just wasn't what I expected and manually switching gears with the Tiptronic was just a pain in the ass. 

I get your enthusiasm for EVs, I really do, the Taycan Turbo S would be tomorrow in my garage if I could afford it. Seriously. Amazing EV but I could never live with an EV only.

Been on a gt3 waiting list for 15 years!!!  Really pisses me off - might be a factor in my mood towards Porsche.  Not really a fan of loud exhaust although your v10 is amazing and a gt3 at 8k is amazing. True that. I would get arrested if I drove your car at my EV speeds here in Leawood. 
    And yes - the turbo is not an emotional car but I love the shove. 

hunterone:

I love the (not too loud) V8 rumble in my RS6. Nuff said from my point of view wink

You get a pass. Your cars are now legendary!  Especially for Vienna!!!!

Yes these two are rare in Vienna, but i got your view: drove this weekend with an brand new Tesla X and it was quite an event ;)

What are the odds the Porsche will ever see a power or range increase come via over the air update? Let me know when this happens. 

Leawood, you posted this recently.  I think such updates are interesting and worth exploring more, so I had a conversation with a longtime friend and Porsche engineer whose comments might add clarity and promote further informative discussion.  

He told me that manufacturers of electric vehicles "build in". software parameters which, for safety, longevity and warranty reasons, keep the components (batteries, braking, suspension, etc.)  of the vehicles within a certain range.  As manufacturers gather data from research and consumer uses/operations over time. they can "loosen" these parameters via on air updates, much like BMW and Porsche do when they provide navigation updates "over the air" now.  When those parameters are loosened, the car can achieve heightened operations within the overall static hardware capacity of batteries and other components/systems.  The overall capacity does not increase--the built in cushion for safety, etc., is decreased and allows the performance to approach closer to the maximum capacity.  

He also said that Porsche is evaluating its new models, including the Taycan and Panamera, and closely monitoring performance over time as well as consumer uses and feedback.  He said, depending on those findings,  over the  air parameter increases are certainly possible.

I'm sure you engineer guys can explain this better, and add some further comments.  I think it is an interesting topic, and I want to learn more about it.

Wonderbar:

Nick and Leawood, you are talking to your friend here.  In every one of my emails on this thread, I have continually said I like Tesla and admire Musk. I have also said my wife is hoping to get. model 3 and that the Taycan does not appeal to me because my Panamera is roomier and just as fast. Further I said that a high ranking Porsche official told me at the Frankfurt Show that the Taycan would not have been built if Tesla hadn’t shown the way, and I wrote that if Porsche does not view the cars as rivals, why should we? 

But so called “comparison” tests, drag races, you-can-get-2 for the price of on arguments  are not helpful to me. It doesn’t matter what cars you are comparing—Ferrari to Porsche, Tesla to Corvette, BMW to Aston, on and on.  They are mostly written by journalists who set the stage for some “Battle of the Giants” sort of thing.  The tests themselves create passionate arguments and separate camps.  When I consider a purchase, I evaluate my own needs and preferences and finances overall.  Those are my metrics.  Over the years I have owned Ferraris, Corvettes, BMWS, Audis, Acuras, etc., and have never used a “comparison” test to inform my decision. 

Perhaps my zzzz post was provocative, and for that I apologize. I hope I have clarified my views👍

And isn't it great that we are in a free market? Anyone can choose to buy any car they feel like, and not have one car forced down their throat?

--

Wonderbar:

What are the odds the Porsche will ever see a power or range increase come via over the air update? Let me know when this happens. 

Leawood, you posted this recently.  I think such updates are interesting and worth exploring more, so I had a conversation with a longtime friend and Porsche engineer whose comments might add clarity and promote further informative discussion.  

He told me that manufacturers of electric vehicles "build in". software parameters which, for safety, longevity and warranty reasons, keep the components (batteries, braking, suspension, etc.)  of the vehicles within a certain range.  As manufacturers gather data from research and consumer uses/operations over time. they can "loosen" these parameters via on air updates, much like BMW and Porsche do when they provide navigation updates "over the air" now.  When those parameters are loosened, the car can achieve heightened operations within the overall static hardware capacity of batteries and other components/systems.  The overall capacity does not increase--the built in cushion for safety, etc., is decreased and allows the performance to approach closer to the maximum capacity.  

He also said that Porsche is evaluating its new models, including the Taycan and Panamera, and closely monitoring performance over time as well as consumer uses and feedback.  He said, depending on those findings,  over the  air parameter increases are certainly possible.

I'm sure you engineer guys can explain this better, and add some further comments.  I think it is an interesting topic, and I want to learn more about it.

In simple words, whatever the car is capable of, it is locked the moment they left the factory. 

Whatever software updates 'unlocks', it really isn't, software updates can never update hardware. Any car is limited by their hardware. 

--

almost anything is limited by the hardware! 

pgouveia:

Just an example - Tesla upgraded the self driving hardware for all Tesla’s which had the older version hardware and ordered full self driving. Hmmm. Of course they had to do that but still - those people paid $2k for that feature back then. 

A funny upgrade was to allow people to activate rear seat heaters which had been installed but not enabled in all model 3. In some cases the upgrades are free, in others the upgrade is a new source of revenue. Next will be a subscription service for full self driving for those who don’t want to pay the full price upfront and want to wait until it is better. 
    Of course all they are doing is unlocking untapped potential - the point is they do the owner of older models a huge favor    and it goes against the typical milk every penny approach.  The whole experience is so much better including a 7 day trial. Who could do that?

They also keep adding dozens of new features like track mode, sentry mode, dashcam,  video playback, improved handling and braking.  I did not pay for any of this stuff and it keeps coming because people can suggest it and he implements it. 

pgouveia:

Smiley I can reprogram almost anything to do "better" but I guess the hardware, at some point, would just make...poof. Smiley Smiley

--

RC:
    pgouveia:

Smiley I can reprogram almost anything to do "better" but I guess the hardware, at some point, would just make...poof. Smiley Smiley

over clocking man Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

the-missile:
    RC:
    pgouveia:

over clocking man Smiley

Overclocking a Taycan S Turbo...sounds great. 🤗

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688496 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408685 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255520 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234765 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65384 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4634 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857555 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773336 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM