Crown

Board: Porsche - Taycan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review

The real bottom line is that cars are extravagant and very pleasurable toys. Pick your toy and enjoy it for a while, whether it’s an EV or an NA.  Experiment, experiment! And if we admit it, we are all fickle and will get tired of anything after a while (except the loved ones in our life if we are smart).

Wonderbar:

The real bottom line is that cars are extravagant and very pleasurable toys. Pick your toy and enjoy it for a while, whether it’s an EV or an NA.  Experiment, experiment! And if we admit it, we are all fickle and will get tired of anything after a while (except the loved ones in our life if we are smart).

I agree...to some point.

I cannot talk about others but personally, I realized that I need at least two cars to be really happy and not get bored too soon: I need a daily driver which is fast, well suited for most driving situations (incl. family and winter time) and a weekend fun car which is just something completely different and crazy, something nobody would seriously drive on a daily basis. I think I found both but I could really imagine myself in a Taycan as a daily driver instead of the GLC 63S AMG I am driving right now. The Taycan is still too expensive though in my opinion, even the 4S (152k EUR with the options I'd want). The Huracan Performante? Well, there is no EV replacement for this one (yet) and probably will never exist because of the many emotional levels this car plays at.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

I test drove Taycan Turbo yesterday and found it to be super fast effortlessly but yet very comfortable.  It really is a one car that can do it all.

However, it is frustrating that you will rarely have a chance to full throttle in city driving, as it will get you into trouble very fast.

This test drive confirms my belief that I probably will not add any more gasoline sport cars as it never will be faster in a straight line.  However, I do not think I need or want more fast sport cars anyway, as I cannot extract 100% performance from what I own now.

--

Tim

2010 997.2 GT3RS;  2008 Cayenne Turbo;  2006 911 Club Coupe;  2016 911 GTS Club Coupe;  2015 Macan S;  2019 Speedster

Targa Tim:

I test drove Taycan Turbo yesterday and found it to be super fast effortlessly but yet very comfortable.  It really is a one car that can do it all.

However, it is frustrating that you will rarely have a chance to full throttle in city driving, as it will get you into trouble very fast.

This test drive confirms my belief that I probably will not add any more gasoline sport cars as it never will be faster in a straight line.  However, I do not think I need or want more fast sport cars anyway, as I cannot extract 100% performance from what I own now.

EVs are the future. No matter if they use only batteries or use hydrogen for charging, at some point, this is the future, if we like it or not. After driving the Taycan Turbo S, I am convinced. As soon as there will be a breakthrough in battery and/or charging tech (lighter batteries with more capacity and faster charging), combustion engines are done. Not sure this is going to happen over the next couple of years but probably in a decade or two.

Have you heard of Tesla's plans to offer a substantially cheaper model 3 entry level version? This could actually give EVs quite a push.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

EVs definitely the future.

I keep thinking how EVs will affect future values of our gasoline sport cars.  Keep them as rare toys to play with in the future?  or sell before they are worthless? what if gas price becomes too high or unavailable?  

Probably way too early to think now, but it is in my thoughts sometimes.yes

--

Tim

2010 997.2 GT3RS;  2008 Cayenne Turbo;  2006 911 Club Coupe;  2016 911 GTS Club Coupe;  2015 Macan S;  2019 Speedster

Targa Tim:

I keep thinking how EVs will affect future values of our gasoline sport cars.  Keep them as rare toys to play with in the future?  or sell before they are worthless? what if gas price becomes too high or unavailable?  

Some cars / most will be like the old tube TV sets you had to pay to dispose of. 
    I predict there will be a bit of a financial crisis when banks loan money for cars which are suddenly worth much less than anticipated.  It may be hard to get favorable loan terms for ice cars in the near future.  Lots of implications for oil companies etc. 
    I can’t stress enough how much more difficult this transition is for car makers who are currently depending on ice cars. It is not as simple as some imagine. They also need to keep supporting old ice cars and parts for many years to come. At some point all their leases will be returned and no one will want them. How will they start pricing leases knowing the residual amounts are much lower?  On and on. 
    meanwhile you may see electric cars increase in value over the short run as batteries run in short supply in the early stages of the transition. This is also when you will see the biggest advances in battery tech and such. 

Leawood911:
    Targa Tim:

Some cars / most will be like the old tube TV sets you had to pay to dispose of. 
    I predict there will be a bit of a financial crisis when banks loan money for cars which are suddenly worth much less than anticipated.  It may be hard to get favorable loan terms for ice cars in the near future.  Lots of implications for oil companies etc. 
    I can’t stress enough how much more difficult this transition is for car makers who are currently depending on ice cars. It is not as simple as some imagine. They also need to keep supporting old ice cars and parts for many years to come. At some point all their leases will be returned and no one will want them. How will they start pricing leases knowing the residual amounts are much lower?  On and on. 
    meanwhile you may see electric cars increase in value over the short run as batteries run in short supply in the early stages of the transition. This is also when you will see the biggest advances in battery tech and such. 

That's a bit premature based on current consumer acceptance rates of EVs and the necessary investment in the upstream and downstream supply chains.  Oil companies, conceivable, will suffer a demand issue for gasoline in many major markets as EVs gain a market foothold; however, the same companies produce other products besides gasoline including plastics, lubricants, fertilizers, and road-making materials.  There aren't too many non-petroleum based substitutes that are economically viable for the immediate term.  

Even in a Gestalt-based experiment, if EVs suddenly constituted 50% of all new car sales in the United States, with an installed base of nearly 270 million automobiles on U.S. roads, it will take decades before the entire fleet becomes solely EV.   

We tend to judge the future from our own narrow perspective of our current experiences but it will take a long long time for EV to fade out ICE. Tthere are huge hurdles for EV's in the rest of the world where electrical infrastructure in not even close like 3rd world, many people keep their cars for a long time before they are able to change them, most people on the planet don't have the ability to charge the car overnight, range is a huge issue and while it is getting bigger with bigger batteries these are only the most expensive models, you can get an 800km range from a 10,000€ ICE car, it will be a long time before an EV can match that, we don'r even know yet if BEV will be the betamax or VHS  when compared to future fuel cell tech. EV adoption will be relatively fast in some smaller specific areas of the globe but not the majority or the planet.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Significant demand for product must exist before raw material suppliers make sizable investments to address supply issues.  This is why machine tool orders are an important statistic of economic health.  Producers must be near or exceed 100% utilization for several quarters before new equipment is ordered given the costs involved and the increased output potential.  This is why the machine tool industry exhibits a dramatic whipsaw effect from small changes in demand upstream.  

CGX car nut:
    Leawood911:
    Targa Tim:

That's a bit premature based on current consumer acceptance rates of EVs and the necessary investment in the upstream and downstream supply chains.  Oil companies, conceivable, will suffer a demand issue for gasoline in many major markets as EVs gain a market foothold; however, the same companies produce other products besides gasoline including plastics, lubricants, fertilizers, and road-making materials.  There aren't too many non-petroleum based substitutes that are economically viable for the immediate term.  

Even in a Gestalt-based experiment, if EVs suddenly constituted 50% of all new car sales in the United States, with an installed base of nearly 270 million automobiles on U.S. roads, it will take decades before the entire fleet becomes solely EV.   

I did not set a timeframe so saying it is premature makes no sense. These are things which will happen and the difficulties will manifest themselves. It is just a matter of time. Is it a good thing that it is pretty obvious this early on to most of us?  Yes - if you choose to act on it. You are free to disagree all you like and simply miss out.  It is a question of when - not if.  

Let me refresh your memory.  Above you wrote:

That statement reflects a relatively short timeframe within the next decade or so and ICE will still remain an important means of prime motion in many parts of the world.  

Unless governments step in, the future of EV's will remain less than 5% of total car sales. 

--

When you're going through hell.....keep going.

CGX car nut:

That statement reflects a relatively short timeframe within the next decade or so and ICE will still remain an important means of prime motion in many parts of the world.  

No timeframe is mentioned. You see what you want to see. What exactly is the pleasure you seem to derive from proving weird stuff that is a matter of interpretation. Is me not clarifying once that there was a no timeframe good enough?  Maybe you should add months or years etc and pretend that is what I said. I was speaking in relative terms. 

nberry:

Unless governments step in, the future of EV's will remain less than 5% of total car sales. 

Now there is an implied timeframe. Forever?  Come on. Joking I hope.  But I get the urge to think government needs to be the driving force. Me not so much but we can agree to disagree on n politics. I prefer economic realities to drive decisions.  Here in Kansas the only driving force is cheap electric power at night, making the car a no brainer. I don’t get any tax credits or government help here. 

So we learn your timeframe is something less than infinity.  What a way to commit.  

CGX car nut:

So we learn your timeframe is something less than infinity.  What a way to commit.  

Yes. I stand by my analysis. Hope you are okay with that.  I’m not certain what your point is?  Is there some game where you score points or make money for being mean and derogatory to other people by attacking their opinion?  I just don’t get it at all?  All I provide is my thoughts on certain topics. I talk about what I like, not what I’m afraid of and don’t understand. I tend not to launch personal attacks. It keeps people from expressing themselves. If all I want to hear is my opinions over and over again I would be bored.  I don’t mind the insults, clearly, but I just don’t get the reward behind it. I would feel horrible doing the same after a short while. 

“Porsche will become more electric – but not the 911”

Porsche CEO Oliver Blume talks in an interview about the discussion surrounding a general speed limit on German motorways, Fridays for Future and safe jobs...

03/02/2020

Oliver Blume, CEO Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG, 2020, Porsche AG

Mr Blume, discussions about a general speed limit on German motorways, driving bans for diesel-powered vehicles and criticism of SUVs, do you still enjoy being boss of a sports car manufacturer like Porsche?

Oliver Blume Yes, sure! It’s my dream job and I enjoy it very much! We as automotive manufacturers in particular must engage with the issues that concern people. It’s not about agreeing on everything, but about understanding different standpoints. For us, it is part of our identity that we assume responsibility for our society: for sustainable actions, but also for jobs and taxes.

What is your opinion about the demands for a general speed limit on German motorways? 

Statistically speaking, our motorways are among the safest roads in the world. And we are in the good situation of not having a general speed limit on motorways. Driving without speed restrictions is part of our individual freedom. And we want to uphold this freedom. It goes without saying that no-one must be put at risk. Ultimately, the issue is a political question and falls within the government’s area of responsibility.

However, a speed limit on motorways in Germany could also be good for the environment. 

We have more effective measures at our disposal there, for instance our drive strategy. We make each generation of our combustion engines more efficient. And thanks to our hybrid engines we are significantly reducing CO₂ emissions. And our electric vehicles mean that you can travel with zero emissions. A few years ago, no-one would have thought Porsche would be capable of this as a sports car manufacturer.

Taycan Turbo, 2019, Porsche AG

Taycan Turbo

Do you consider the Fridays for Future environmental movement a threat to the automotive industry?

I see the movement as an impetus for society that goes in the right direction. We must reduce emissions to make sure our planet remains sustainable. I see opportunities there to achieve something together. At Porsche, we set the right course at an early stage: production of the zero-emissions Taycan in Zuffenhausen is carbon-neutral.

But Porsche customers often value powerful sports car engines with their typical roar more than fuel efficiency and CO₂ emissions.

On the contrary, our customers also demand that our vehicles can be driven and produced as sustainably as possible. Porsche will always remain innovative and dynamic, while simultaneously becoming more and more efficient. Customers do not just buy a sports car because they want to drive fast. Our new Taycan is the best example there. It boasts outstanding acceleration values and fantastic driving dynamics, but simultaneously also produces zero emissions and is almost silent in operation.

How many electric motors and petrol engines will Porsche install over the next few years?

Around 50 percent of all Porsche vehicles could be sold with an electric or hybrid drive by 2025. However, Porsche will always offer combustion engines, particularly in the 911. But we can’t stop the onward march of electromobility.

Who was late to react in building up the necessary charging infrastructure: politicians, industry or both? 

This is a joint challenge that cannot be mastered alone. My wish is for a comprehensive charging infrastructure to be established throughout Germany over the next five years to make the topic of range irrelevant. In other words, a network that is similarly well developed to that of normal petrol stations. And a network like that cannot be established overnight.

Many automotive manufacturers are planning redundancies. Porsche also?

No. Thanks to electromobility, our new electric motors and electric vehicles, we have developed opportunities and created 2,000 new jobs at our headquarters. We do not intend to make redundancies over the next few years. We are currently launching negotiations centring around guaranteed employment over the next few years. In this context, both employers and employees must assume responsibility together.

Link: https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/2020/company/porsche-oliver-blume-taycan-911-bild-am-sonntag-bams-interview-20111.html

CGX car nut:

For the next 10-20 years definitely, especially in not so developed countries. 

--

Carlos from Spain:

We tend to judge the future from our own narrow perspective of our current experiences but it will take a long long time for EV to fade out ICE. Tthere are huge hurdles for EV's in the rest of the world where electrical infrastructure in not even close like 3rd world, many people keep their cars for a long time before they are able to change them, most people on the planet don't have the ability to charge the car overnight, range is a huge issue and while it is getting bigger with bigger batteries these are only the most expensive models, you can get an 800km range from a 10,000€ ICE car, it will be a long time before an EV can match that, we don'r even know yet if BEV will be the betamax or VHS  when compared to future fuel cell tech. EV adoption will be relatively fast in some smaller specific areas of the globe but not the majority or the planet.

100% in agreement.

+1

Is that hostile interview by Bild am Sonntag quoted above typical of how German auto industry leaders are treated by the press?  

--

2017 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2019 Porsche 911 Turbo

nberry:

Hmm Nick, governments are already IN the game, stacking the deck for the longest time already too.

But they can't be interfering forever. Those money that's pouring into tax incentive have to stop somehow, there are better ways to use the tax money.

It's a free market, let the market decides. Put everyone on a level playing field and duke it out.

Let EV win their market share by merits, not by gifting. 

If not for the government policy, I wouldn't have bought the e-Tron. But the daily benefits of having a HOV lane sticker to avoid traffic is top priority. 

Heck, I might have even gone for a M5 Competition instead of the Panamera turbo S had there been no government benefits.

--

4trac:

Is that hostile interview by Bild am Sonntag quoted above typical of how German auto industry leaders are treated by the press?  

I doubt it, I just think the interviewer was not really into (expensive) sports cars. Or he was just looking for something sensational but I think Oliver Blume handled it (him) quite well.

--

Whoopsy:
    nberry:

Hmm Nick, governments are already IN the game, stacking the deck for the longest time already too.

But they can't be interfering forever. Those money that's pouring into tax incentive have to stop somehow, there are better ways to use the tax money.

It's a free market, let the market decides. Put everyone on a level playing field and duke it out.

If not for the government policy, I wouldn't have bought the e-Tron. But the daily benefits of having a HOV lane sticker to avoid traffic is top priority. 

Heck, I might have even gone for a M5 Competition instead of the Panamera turbo S had there been no government benefits.

Nick I am, aware of the government tax incentives. What I was referring to is a government mandate that only EV vehicles will be sold after say....2035-2040.

Otherwise the inconvenience of the EV far outweigh the benefits.

--

When you're going through hell.....keep going.

Drove the Taycan 4S today, more about it tomorrow. 😎

5E3B5232-8EFA-45C4-BC6D-8105E1803C0D.jpeg

--

nberry:
    Whoopsy:
    nberry:

Nick I am, aware of the government tax incentives. What I was referring to is a government mandate that only EV vehicles will be sold after say....2035-2040.

Otherwise the inconvenience of the EV far outweigh the benefits.

EXACTLY why EV can't be mainstream yet, it needs to mature. If government try to force it through, it will just be a disaster waiting to happen. 

Infrastructures are a long way before they are ready for mass adoption. Any sane person will know there is no way EV cars can take over everything in 20 years as the governments and electric companies cannot built up the grid that quickly. 

Avoid the people that can only park on the streets and in common parkade where there is no charging. Let's just talk about a random gated community. How much bigger a transformer needed to be installed to support a fleet of 30-50 EVs charging at night? Can the power line from the pole suppose that kind of current? Is the power plant nearby powerful enough to suppose say 15-20 of these gated community within it's service area? It's not a problem right now as households with a EV at home is small, the occasional extra current draw at night is well within spec, but it will be when the whole neighbourhood is full of empty EVs. A little snow ball at the top of the mountain rolling downwards, it will only keep getting bigger and bigger. Did anyone even thought of that to begin with? Or they think electric is black magic, one just have to plug in the socket and voila done?

EV are still in their infancy, heck, it took normal cars a century to mature yet it's still not quite good enough.

--

RC:

Drove the Taycan 4S today, more about it tomorrow. 😎

5E3B5232-8EFA-45C4-BC6D-8105E1803C0D.jpeg

Excellent news RC!  CC728175-19EB-4A81-8294-9590C8A82363.gif

Looking forward to hear your driving impressions in the Taycan 4S!  E0F26BDD-E91B-4EF4-964B-7C4204B9E420.gif

Have they provided outline lease terms?  C7BEAB03-A272-4B0C-AF73-D01AEAA5AA36.gif

Taycan 4S differences vs Taycan Turbo S

0-100 kph acceleration video...

https://youtu.be/sIdCp6E8S0U

• Energy consumption similar, no difference actually, which is surprising. The pic shows a pretty high consumption but this is me, the estimated range was (similar to the Turbo S) around 330 km before I got into the car (fully charged). It is a little bit weird that there doesn't seem to be a difference but maybe this is how EVs work, I don't have a clue.
    • Performance difference is substantial: On the same part (length) of the Autobahn, the Taycan 4S achieved 198 kph, the Turbo S achieved 260 kph. Huge difference. Same with lower speed acceleration: 120 kph for the Taycan 4S where the Turbo S achieved 160 kph.
    • Throttle response is only fantastic in Sport Plus mode, in the Turbo S even in Sport mode. It is maybe a tiny bit less spontaneous than in the Turbo S but it is barely noticeable (Sport Plus).
    • Chassis and steering feel very sporty, not much different from Turbo S. Especially in Sport Plus, the car feels light and nimble. ESP setup is great, car also has no traction issues at all, similar to more powerful Turbo S. Even in Sport Plus mode, the car feels and behaves very safe and controllable, very good setup.
    • Brake system: The reviewed 4S had the standard brake but I really prefer the PCCB system of the Turbo S I drove. The spontaneous and very linear brake feel of the PCCB is much better suited for an EV like the Taycan.
    • The optional extra display for the passenger often showed only "Taycan" and nothing else, which was either a bug or a loose contact (when I accelerated and braked hard, the display showed the usual information again). Not really great on a 135k (with options) car. 
    • Car had very little leather, mostly black plastic and it looked better than expected. Probably the reason why the price tag of the test car was so low, I came up with 152k EUR when I configured a 4S to my specs and I didn't go crazy on the options at all.
    • The (hard) acceleration feel was not as spectacular as in the Turbo S but still pretty impressive. 
    • BOSE sound system: The Turbo S had the Burmester, the 4S the BOSE. After listening to both, I have to say that this may be the first time I actually recommend the Burmester. Why? The Taycan is very quiet and the music quality is more "hearable" than in combustion engine cars. Yes, the BOSE sucks in the Taycan, the bass is very flat and if you adjust it to a much higher level, it gets distorted, not pleasant. Go for the Burmester if you love music.

IMG_1909.JPEG

Conclusion: The Turbo S is definitely more desirable from a (straight line) performance point of view but if you're on a budget and badly want a Taycan, the 4S won't disappoint, especially not in Sport Plus mode. The chassis and steering setups are not much different from the Turbo S. To be honest though, I would probably get the Turbo instead, maybe not going too crazy on the options to keep cost down, simply because the Turbo should be closer to the Turbo S experience. I also do not think that the Taycan 4S is really worth it's money but compared to the Turbo S, it probably is. 

For speed limited countries, the 4S is more than enough to provide the typical Porsche Taycan experience. No doubt. 

For the Autobahn and those who love an even more insane acceleration feel, the Turbo S (or maybe the Turbo) are better choices.

Will I get one? The answer is: NO. The reason is not the quality or the experience with the Taycan, I like the Taycan (especially the Turbo S) a lot but cost. For me, the Taycan is just too expensive. This is just me.

--

Speaking of government intervention. If you think we are driving gas powered cars today free of government and big business incentives you might be mistaken.  How do you think we got here?

What is this talk of gated communities needing xtra power?  Lol. I’m pretty certain that if everyone in my neighborhood charged up their 100 or so miles they used on an average that day using their in home 240 volt outlet for a couple hours at night there would be jubilation by the local power company.  Why on earth do you  have super chargers in neighborhoods?  Wtf. This is not how it works at all. Weird theory. Maybe it’s a Canadian thing. Here in Kansas we have plenty of power and modern powers lines. 😎
    There is no doubt I bought my car without incentives because it cost a penny a mile to operate and is fast as shit. Today. We can talk in ten or five years and have a laught. I can’t stop laughing about ice cars taking 100 years to mature - guess what a mature car sounds like. Bzzzzzzzz. Hmmmmmmm

Leawood911:

What is this talk of gated communities needing xtra power?  Lol. I’m pretty certain that if everyone in my neighborhood charged up their 100 or so miles they used on an average that day using their in home 240 volt outlet for a couple hours at night there would be jubilation by the local power company.  Why on earth do you  have super chargers in neighborhoods?  Wtf. This is not how it works at all. Weird theory. Maybe it’s a Canadian thing. Here in Kansas we have plenty of power and modern powers lines. 😎

If many people needed to charge their cars existing infrastructure would, of course, no longer be sufficient. The US energy system is not one of the highlights of the US, BTW... Mostly based on landlines, to start with... 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM