Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Options not available (yet) for the 997

These options aren't availabe for the 997 until further notice from Porsche:

INTERIOR TD Sand Beige Standard Leather
    INTERIOR TE Sand Beige Sport Seats
    INTERIOR TF Sand Beige Leather Seats
    OPTION E31 Leather Package Switch Panel
    OPTION E33 Makassar Package Switch Panel
    OPTION E34 Sycamore Package Switch Panel
    OPTION E35 Carbon Package Switch Panel
    OPTION XJU Rear Ctr. Console Sycamore
    OPTION XMJ Rear Center Console - Carbon
    OPTION XMP Leather Sun Visors Lighted
    OPTION XMZ Rear Center Console - Leather
    OPTION XNG Instrument Surround in Leather
    OPTION XPA 3-Spoke Steering Wheel-Interior Color Leather
    OPTION XPV Steer Wheel. Multifunction Aluminum Look
    OPTION XTG Inner Sill Parts/Release Leather
    OPTION XTL Door Finisher in Carbon
    OPTION XTT Door Finishers Makassar,
    OPTION XTU Door Finishers Sycamore
    OPTION XTV Door Finishers in Leather
    OPTION X54 Stainless Steel Exhaust
    OPTION 452 Sycamore Steering Wheel Multifunction
    OPTION 618 Telephone Prep for Mobil
    OPTION 652 Delete Sunroof
    OPTION 801 Makassar Package
    OPTION 802 Sycamore Package
    OPTION 803 Carbon Package

Re: Options not available (yet) for the 997

Next thing you know the _standard_ items will not be available.

No sunroof delete: THAT really tells you the directions it is heading!

The car will disappear shortly after that.

What does sunroof delete means?
    That you have to order the sunroof?
    How about sportexhaust then?

Quote:
    sterio said:
    What does sunroof delete means?
    That you have to order the sunroof?
    How about sportexhaust then?

In the US, the sunroof is standard. The sunroof delete is a no cost option. In many other countries, you need to order the sunroof.

Lovely, XPA thicker steering wheel is an option which I ordered - that makes two options not available for my car XLF
    (sports exahust) & XPA

Re: my 997s arrived

my 997s is at port, should get on a truck to San Antonio this week
    seal grey
    black leather
    power seat package
    bose high end
    remote CD changer
    multf steering whl
    sport chrono
    navigation for PCM

Quote:
    muhri said:
    Lovely, XPA thicker steering wheel is an option which I ordered - that makes two options not available for my car XLF
    (sports exahust) & XPA

The thicker steering wheel can be retrofitted too, no problem.

Thanks for the list RC, I'm just so surprised that PO are selling a car with what seems so little thought for the supply of options..the preparation doesn't add up. Did they rush the launch of the 997? or did they not estimate that some options will be so popular? or is it supplier problems?
    We are all big PO fans on this forum, but its one option disappointment after the other, can you imagine how hard it will be to convince drivers to move over from other manufacturers should word get about. Fortunately the developers at PO have produced a gem of a car...but the internal sales/marketing/stocks depts. need to answer some very important questions

I can't exclude that Porsche rushed 997 introducting due to slowing down sales worldwide last year.
    There also has been a rumor that Porsche has serious supplier problems due to the current economic situation and the pressure some other car manufacturers put upon on their suppliers to reduce cost, causing even bankruptcy in a case or two.
    And, why excluding it: maybe Porsche didn't expect the 997 to be that succesful, especially the 997 Carrera S and especially in the first months of production.

To be honest, I don't know the true cause of the options delay. But a lot of options ARE available, we shouldn't think too negative. I prefer a higher quality level than rushing into offering options which might not be at par with Porsche's current quality level. Just a personal thought.

Quote:
    RC said:
    I can't exclude that Porsche rushed 997 introducting due to slowing down sales worldwide last year.
    There also has been a rumor that Porsche has serious supplier problems due to the current economic situation and the pressure some other car manufacturers put upon on their suppliers to reduce cost, causing even bankruptcy in a case or two.
    And, why excluding it: maybe Porsche didn't expect the 997 to be that succesful, especially the 997 Carrera S and especially in the first months of production.

To be honest, I don't know the true cause of the options delay. But a lot of options ARE available, we shouldn't think too negative. I prefer a higher quality level than rushing into offering options which might not be at par with Porsche's current quality level. Just a personal thought.

Fair point regarding that lots of options are available but if I ran my business that way I wouldn't have a customer
    PO are a major sports car player and produce IMO the best all round sports car at the moment, they employ clever people who are trained in anticipating stocks and have contingency plans, I'm just so surprised that there could be this many problems with options, for instance I knew there would be a demand problem with the C2s, it was so obvious and I told my dealer at my first visit... the C2 and C2s are to close in price when considering the extra standard kit and power increase, but I bet UK dealers have an allocation that is almost split
    My option problems so far
    No PSE
    No TPM
    Problems with phone module (cant get same number sim card )
    Homelink has a frequency problem in the UK

Although, I still cant wait to get my hands on the car
    roll on March

Quote:
    med said:
    Thanks for the list RC, I'm just so surprised that PO are selling a car with what seems so little thought for the supply of options..the preparation doesn't add up. Did they rush the launch of the 997? or did they not estimate that some options will be so popular? or is it supplier problems?
    We are all big PO fans on this forum, but its one option disappointment after the other, can you imagine how hard it will be to convince drivers to move over from other manufacturers should word get about.

If you think the 997 exclusion list is bad, check out the 987 one on the Boxster board. You can't even order floor mats or alu door sills. Most annoying for me is wheel choices - one style of 18s and one of 19s at the moment.

Quote:
    RC said:

I think that arriving at that conclusion might be the result of confusing "cause" and "effect".

Slowing down of sales was a result of it being known that a new model was in the pipeline, causing customers to delay their orders. Rennteam.com will have helped contribute towards that effect.

Speeding up introduction of a complex product like a new car due to changing market conditions is almost impossible, because of the number of suppliers and the logistics involved.

Quote:
    med said:
    Fair point regarding that lots of options are available but if I ran my business that way I wouldn't have a customer
    PO are a major sports car player and produce IMO the best all round sports car at the moment, they employ clever people who are trained in anticipating stocks and have contingency plans, I'm just so surprised that there could be this many problems with options

I find it quite funny that in the Aug 2004 issue of Christophorus, it has a feature on Porsche consultants training other companies in supply chain management and just-in-time planning. Maybe they need to get their own house in order before educating others?

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Speeding up introduction of a complex product like a new car due to changing market conditions is almost impossible, because of the number of suppliers and the logistics involved.

You named two key words:
    1. almost
    2. suppliers

I still remember the time when Porsche delayed Boxster S introduction by a year. Doing it the other way around is of course much more difficult but in today's marketing strategies, I wouldn't exclude everything.
    Of course this is all speculation, I agree.

I know that not all Porsche departments like what we do here but on the other hand, they should look at a brighter perspective: forums like ours help to create a much more stronger emotional connection to Porsche cars. I'd say this is a loose/win situation for Porsche where the benefits are definetely higher on a longterm run. Yes, I know, some departments...

RC, Yeah I can retrofit the XPA but that means paying more for the option and more for retrofitting as well from my lovely dealership as per XLF! very inconvinent in my case ...

Anyone have a picture of the 'XPV Steer Wheel. Multifunction Aluminum Look'? I sincerly hate the 997S' archaic steering wheel ; the round hub reminds me of a 1970's boneshaker . The 996/CGT wheel is much nicer IMO.

I wonder , is there any chance that Porsche will change the design for the 997 Turbo/GT models?

Quote:
    danny828 said:
    Anyone have a picture of the 'XPV Steer Wheel. Multifunction Aluminum Look'? I sincerly hate the 997S' archaic steering wheel ; the round hub reminds me of a 1970's boneshaker . The 996/CGT wheel is much nicer IMO.

I wonder , is there any chance that Porsche will change the design for the 997 Turbo/GT models?

here you can see it..its very nice

Take a look at the picture of the s wheel with the center in leather.
    The stitching makes it look a lot better. there is a picture somewhere, on a thread.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    764348 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436513 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261042 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257969 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82639 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5329 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

876876 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808936 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM