Crown

Board: Porsche - Taycan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Welcome to the new Taycan Forum!

Strange that the entire car burned but not the surrounding structure. yes

--

When you're going through hell.....keep going.

Until there are some facts one could easily consider a cigarette butt caused the fire. 

nberry:

Strange that the entire car burned but not the surrounding structure. yes

Gypsum wallboard tends towards fire resistance while the Taycan is to a high percentage fabricated from aluminum, which had a relatively low melting point.  

Too early to guess, but I will take a shot anyway. Insufficient gauge of wire to the charger.

Whoopsy:
    wantone:
    CGX car nut:
    wantone:
    CGX car nut:
    wantone:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-02-18/porsche-confirms-taycan-electric-car-caught-fire-in-u-s?fbclid=IwAR0KWY59jmh5vtMtF9o4R79UrYwTuuXVOBYgMPa8UEmEuVyPtw0rhGJerFU

the end of Taycan?

Appearance isn’t great but one needs to eliminate other potential sources of the fire including a defective charging system installed in the house.  If it is the car, Porsche needs to more rapidly for damage control or its EV investment is severely damaged.  

The charger is also part of the Taycan ecosystem.

Do you know if that charger was from Porsche?  A number of Taycan owners previously had owned Teslas.  Also, even if it were a Porsche charger, are you sure that the charger was properly installed?  

There are far too many variables to flippantly assess blame directly on Porsche.  One is sure that Porsche will not behind the facts and will issue an official statement as the investigation progresses.  

Of course I don't. I doubt though that somebody who just spent $200k on a Taycan he/she wouldn't get a Porsche sourced/approved charger for his new super expensive car.

Taycan already come with Porsche's own pillbox charger. But if someone already have EV before, they could already have a wall mounted one in the garage and keep the Porsche one in the bag. 

Taycan uses industrial standard charging ports, any charger can be used, unlike Tesla, where only Tesla equipment can be used.

fwiw: I charged a Taycan at my Tesla wallbox without problems. Teslas can be charged at almost any power outlet, given that one has the right adapter (mostly Type2 nowadays ) and RFID card.   Model 3 comes with CCS  like the Taycan. Major difference is that Superchargers are for Teslas only; but this has no technical reasons

Only Tesla Model 3s for the EU market have CCS ports.  Other markets may have a CCS adaptor available.  

schmoell:
    Whoopsy:
    wantone:
    CGX car nut:
    wantone:
    CGX car nut:
    wantone:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-02-18/porsche-confirms-taycan-electric-car-caught-fire-in-u-s?fbclid=IwAR0KWY59jmh5vtMtF9o4R79UrYwTuuXVOBYgMPa8UEmEuVyPtw0rhGJerFU

the end of Taycan?

Appearance isn’t great but one needs to eliminate other potential sources of the fire including a defective charging system installed in the house.  If it is the car, Porsche needs to more rapidly for damage control or its EV investment is severely damaged.  

Do you know if that charger was from Porsche?  A number of Taycan owners previously had owned Teslas.  Also, even if it were a Porsche charger, are you sure that the charger was properly installed?  

There are far too many variables to flippantly assess blame directly on Porsche.  One is sure that Porsche will not behind the facts and will issue an official statement as the investigation progresses.  

Of course I don't. I doubt though that somebody who just spent $200k on a Taycan he/she wouldn't get a Porsche sourced/approved charger for his new super expensive car.

Taycan already come with Porsche's own pillbox charger. But if someone already have EV before, they could already have a wall mounted one in the garage and keep the Porsche one in the bag. 

Taycan uses industrial standard charging ports, any charger can be used, unlike Tesla, where only Tesla equipment can be used.

fwiw: I charged a Taycan at my Tesla wallbox without problems. Teslas can be charged at almost any power outlet, given that one has the right adapter (mostly Type2 nowadays ) and RFID card.   Model 3 comes with CCS  like the Taycan. Major difference is that Superchargers are for Teslas only; but this has no technical reasons

I should have make it more clear. Out of box, Taycan and everything else standardized on the plugs. Tesla has their own plugs for their eco-system, but Tesla also ship an adapter with their cars to use industrial standard plugs, but it's also an extra equipment one has to carry. 

There is also an adapter for sale that let normal EVs use connect to Tesla charging plugs.

--

Whoopsy:

Cool, so there is no facts yet, everything is speculation except there is a fire in a garage with a Taycan in it.

One of the down side to battery EV. There is so much ready made energy packed into a small space. It's also what makes it so efficient. 

Diesel, gasoline doesn't self combust, it needs an external source of ignition, batteries on the other hand can without external ignition. Even compressed hydrogen could explode inside the container. 

could it be the central vacuum unit installed in the garage or some electric heater that destroyed the poor taycan that just happened to park in there? Smiley

wantone:
    CGX car nut:
    wantone:

the end of Taycan?

True but if not installed properly (yes, it requires a professional installation and some base specs of the grid in the house/garage need to be met as well)... Smiley

It is way too early to tell what went wrong but yes, if this is some sort of technical flaw, Porsche could be in big trouble.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

Latest issue of 9:11 on the new Taycan. https://911-magazine.porsche.com/en/. The Taycan is a true Porsche and without peers.  

CGX car nut:

Latest issue of 9:11 on the new Taycan. https://911-magazine.porsche.com/en/. The Taycan is a true Porsche and without peers.  

We'll see about that tomorrow. So far, Porsche hasn't chickened out, so it seems I am finally getting the car tomorrow (after a supposed major software update this week). Can't wait. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

RC:
    We'll see about that tomorrow. So far, Porsche hasn't chickened out, so it seems I am finally getting the car tomorrow (after a supposed major software update this week). Can't wait. Smiley

... on Sunday between 8.15 p.m. and 9.45 p.m. (there is a famous German TV crime series watched by my wife) I would have plenty of time to read your detailed review ... you got the point? Smiley

--

-----------------------------------

Sidney:
    RC:
    We'll see about that tomorrow. So far, Porsche hasn't chickened out, so it seems I am finally getting the car tomorrow (after a supposed major software update this week). Can't wait. Smiley

... on Sunday between 8.15 p.m. and 9.45 p.m. (there is a famous German TV crime series watched by my wife) I would have plenty of time to read your detailed review ... you got the pointSmiley

--

-----------------------------------

Got it. Smiley Smiley

Not sure I can make it until Sunday though, after I return the car on Sunday, I will be on my way to a private event in Austria.

--

RC:
    CGX car nut:

We'll see about that tomorrow. So far, Porsche hasn't chickened out, so it seems I am finally getting the car tomorrow (after a supposed major software update this week). Can't wait. Smiley

--

My dealer has been begging me to test drive it. Since I have no interest in the car, I tell them I don’t want to waste my time. It’s the most precious thing I own.Smiley

--

nberry:
    RC:
    CGX car nut:

--

My dealer has been begging me to test drive it. Since I have no interest in the car, I tell them I don’t want to waste my time. It’s the most precious thing I own.Smiley

It's not time wasted if you learn something interesting and it's as new experience imo. I'm not interested in getting an EV at all but I'm interested in trying the Taycan and learning about it, if it will widens my perspective at the very least, it is time well spent.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Volkswagen Group is demonstrating its strengths of enabling different technologies on different platforms.  Porsche has the two-speed gearbox whilst Audi has two rear machines for its EVs.  This allows the conglomerate to explore different approaches and determine which ones gain the most market acceptance.  

First drive: 2020 Audi E-tron S Sportback prototype

New tri-motor layout gives electric SUV amazing torque vectoring capability

The biggest difference, however, is the additional electric motor. Instead of one motor driving the rear axle, as found in the E-tron 55, there are two in the E-tron S: one for each wheel, à la Polestar 1, and each with its own single-speed gearbox.

This paves the way for ultra-precise torque-vectoring with, in Audi’s words, a high level of transverse dynamics. Or, in our words, improbably big skids if the car is in Dynamic driving mode with the stability control system set to Sport or, better still, entirely off.

Audi claims this system can distribute torque in a quarter of the time needed by any mechanical counterpart, such as the Sport differential in the new RS6 Avant, and during cornering can feed up to 162lb ft more torque to the outside wheel than the inside – far more than the 10% difference possible with the clutched Sport differential.

Furthermore, the electric torque vectoring system isn’t finally spurred into action only at the very limit of grip, and then with no true control over which direction torque is sent, as is the case with a regular limited-slip differential. In theory, the satisfying sensations of apportioning torque to the outside rear wheel can therefore be felt by the driver at any time.

The front axle is more conventional, with nothing more complicated than brake-based torque vectoring, but the long and short of it is that this tri-motor set-up, combined with Audi’s central control unit, can replicate the functions of the Sport, limited-slip and Torsen differentials, only faster-acting and all of the time. Issigonis would no doubt be impressed.

Meanwhile, total power for the E-tron S is up from 403bhp to 496bhp, with the larger front motor (the same as can be found in the tail of the E-tron 55) accounting for 201bhp and the two shorter rear motors, which are cradled back to back within the subframe, together making 354bhp. Total torque is an outstanding 718lb ft, with 456lb ft of that reserved for the rear axle.

Our chance to test this driveline came at Audi’s facility in Neuburg, near Munich. This is where its racing machines – including the R8 LMS GT2 and previous LMP1 cars – are shaken down for the first time, hence the generous grass and asphalt runoff (although this could equally be for the benefit of visiting journalists).

Unsurprisingly, even the colossal torque of three electric motors meets its match with a car that weighs more than 2500kg before you’ve even factored in passengers. So while the E-tron S gets off the mark briskly, from then on it feels no more than Volkswagen Golf R quick. However, what you do genuinely notice is the subtle rear torque bias during lightly committed driving, because from the moment you turn the wheel, the front axle mainly devotes itself to brake vectoring rather than propulsion and the rear axle’s torque vectoring simultaneously comes into play. 

The real surprise comes when you attack a corner. Neither the brakes nor the slick but soulless steering inspire too much confidence, but once the nose has securely taken your chosen line, the E-tron S will essentially oversteer on demand as the outside rear wheel is overloaded with torque. More surprising still is how neatly and predictably this happens, and one can’t help but imagine what this technology might one day do for, say, a TT-sized coupé with friendlier proportions and less weight to cart around.

Another striking characteristic of the system is that there’s almost no initial understeer to push through before the rear axle starts to swing, as is almost always the case with combustion engines, needing a moment to coalesce their efforts. In this respect, the E-tron S feels a little unnatural – binary, frankly – but massively effective and enjoyable all the same. Too much angle and the rollover electronics grip the chassis in a protective vice, killing the slide.

But the cat is out of the bag: if Audi can make a tank of a car like the E-tron S Sportback handle this sweetly, an electric Porsche Boxster suddenly seems an immeasurably more enticing prospect.

Audi E-tron S Sportback prototype specifications

Where Neuberg, Germany Price £80,000 (estimated) On sale Spring Engine Three asynchronous electric motors Power495bhp (combined) Torque 718lb ft (combined) Gearbox single-speed automatic Kerb weight over 2500kg Top speed 131mph (restricted) 0-62mph4.5sec Range 230 miles (estimated) CO2 0g/km Rivals Jaguar I-Pace EV400Porsche Taycan 4S

Carlos from Spain:
    nberry:
    RC:
    CGX car nut:

--

It's not time wasted if you learn something interesting and it's as new experience imo. I'm not interested in getting an EV at all but I'm interested in trying the Taycan and learning about it, if it will widens my perspective at the very least, it is time well spent.

Carlos, if someone offered you a test drive in a new Camry would you take it? 

I know the Taycan is silent, fast and handles well for sedan and almost as good as a 911?Smiley I get that so why should I waste my time?Smiley I have absolutely no interest in car.

--

You are not likely to learn anything from a Camry Nick, it has no distinguishing or outstanding features, it is an entry level mass market people mover, the comparison is silly. The Taycan on the other hand has many that you have no experience on, its a BEV which is unlike any ICE you have driven, and is the sportiest BEV at that - it is not a minivan, it is a look at Porsche's future, it's 2300kg can lap the Top Gear track within a hundred of a second of a Merc AMG-GTS, the interior new for Porsche, etc. Even if you don't want one, there are so many things to learn about and expand one's horizon.

--

Thought he was the one always posting about in with the new, out with the old.  Can’t be any more newer than the Porsche Taycan.   

CGX car nut:

Thought he was the one always posting about in with the new, out with the old.  Can’t be any more newer than the Porsche Taycan.   

It sounds like me trying to convince some people to try the model3. Lol. At least Nick does not offer endless criticism based on other people’s opinions and group think. Too funny 

I would love to drive the Taycan but no one here would want my opinion- double lol. 

Leawood911:
    CGX car nut:

It sounds like me trying to convince some people to try the model3. Lol. At least Nick does not offer endless criticism based on other people’s opinions and group think. Too funny 

I would love to drive the Taycan but no one here would want my opinion- double lol. 

That’s precious.  A Tesla cultist accusing others of group think.   

Leawood911:
    CGX car nut:

Well the Taycan and the Model 3 are only comparable in your mind, if we were talking about a Model 3 I would not be saying the same thing to Nick, it has none of the interesting qualities I mentioned above save for just being an EV as well. 

--

Carlos from Spain:
    Leawood911:
    CGX car nut:

Well the Taycan and the Model 3 are only comparable in your mind, if we were talking about a Model 3 I would not be saying the same thing to Nick, it has none of the interesting qualities I mentioned above save for just being an EV as well. 

I would never dream of comparing the two. Did I say I would?  I mentioned I would like to drive it. Seems open minded to me. You should try that.  Why’d you would not imagine me saying things and you do not need to jump to insults first. 

CGX car nut:
    Leawood911:
    CGX car nut:

As a lifelong 911 driver your attempt to repeatedly insult me are at best funny.  If you don’t see the parallel between Nick not wanting to drive and some here not wanting to drive a model 3 or any Tesla then I am sorry. I guess at least Nick is not driving it out of lack of interest as opposed to prejudice and fear of the unknown.  Please keep the insults coming it shows me exactly who has not even driven a model 3.  What is funny is that even after you drive it you will force yourself to hate it and never get to enjoy it. Your loss, not mine.  Do ask yourself every now and then why I am so nice in putting up with your abuse just to share my fun experiences?  Maybe I’m just a very nice person who is trying hard to make a little joy reach out to you all. 
    cheers

Carlos from Spain:

You are not likely to learn anything from a Camry Nick, it has no distinguishing or outstanding features, it is an entry level mass market people mover, the comparison is silly. The Taycan on the other hand has many that you have no experience on, its a BEV which is unlike any ICE you have driven, and is the sportiest BEV at that - it is not a minivan, it is a look at Porsche's future, it's 2300kg can lap the Top Gear track within a hundred of a second of a Merc AMG-GTS, the interior new for Porsche, etc. Even if you don't want one, there are so many things to learn about and expand one's horizon.

Carlos, you’re making judgments as to why you wouldn’t  drive a new Camry but criticize me for failing to drive a Taycan? Smiley

You Europeans have superiority attitude which I find distasteful. There is nothing unique about the Taycan other than its price point. For the price of a well optioned Taycan, I could own FOUR model 3’s. Why in the world would I want to drive the Taycan? They both run quiet, have a lot of torque and have similar driving range.

I guess I could give up Three model 3’s to get a more luxurious interior and a little more performance. But to this inferior US citizen that would stupid. Smiley

--

Leawood911:
    CGX car nut:
    Leawood911:
    CGX car nut:

As a lifelong 911 driver your attempt to repeatedly insult me are at best funny.  If you don’t see the parallel between Nick not wanting to drive and some here not wanting to drive a model 3 or any Tesla then I am sorry. I guess at least Nick is not driving it out of lack of interest as opposed to prejudice and fear of the unknown.  Please keep the insults coming it shows me exactly who has not even driven a model 3.  What is funny is that even after you drive it you will force yourself to hate it and never get to enjoy it. Your loss, not mine.  Do ask yourself every now and then why I am so nice in putting up with your abuse just to share my fun experiences?  Maybe I’m just a very nice person who is trying hard to make a little joy reach out to you all. 
    cheers

Posted numerous times that the Model 3 is inherently a better vehicle than the Model S/X; however, one finds none of the Tesla models even mildly interesting. Teslas are very much one-dimensional with the emphasis on straight-line acceleration.  The speed factor camouflage Tesla's numerous inherent defects that you, counter to quite a few posters here, find acceptable.  That is your prerogative.  

One too is a lifelong Porsche owner with ownership starting with an older 356 in college and progressing to a 2015 911 Carrera 4 GTS manual, of course.  The Porsche sits alongside a bevy of Audis, which are well-suited for my current driving needs.   In a few months, the stable will include an Audi e-tron Sportback that is currently on order for a family member.  

Volkswagen Group, starting with Porsche and Audi, are making viable alternatives to Tesla products, which still exhibit shortcomings like all other manmade products.  Those shortcomings, beyond range, are more glaring in Teslas than the Porsche Taycan and the Audi e-tron.  Even Jaguar managed to build an incredibly competent EV on its first try.  

Given these parameters and target audience of RT, the focus is on Porsche, Ferrari, McLaren, and other sports cars, not Tesla and the reason why one finds the constant prattle about the Model 3 tiresome.  

nberry:
    Carlos from Spain:

Carlos, you’re making judgments as to why you wouldn’t  drive a new Camry but criticize me for failing to drive a Taycan? Smiley

You Europeans have superiority attitude which I find distasteful. There is nothing unique about the Taycan other than its price point. For the price of a well optioned Taycan, I could own FOUR model 3’s. Why in the world would I want to drive the Taycan? They both run quiet, have a lot of torque and have similar driving range.

I guess I could give up Three model 3’s to get a more luxurious interior and a little more performance. But to this inferior US citizen that would stupid. Smiley

You could also purchase three C8 Corvettes for the price of the 991 GT3 RS too, but you didn't.  There are plenty of U.S. built cars that provide almost as much driving, and image, satisfaction to your Porsche.  That list includes the Corvette, Mustang, Camaro, and Acura NSX.  

When offered the opportunity to drive different vehicles from the dealers and the manufactures, one has taken that offer.  This has included driving several variants of the Cayenne, even though one has little interest in a large SUV.  There's also the time when one spent several days off-road with a Hummer H1 and H2 courtesy of AM General.  Those vehicles  would never grace the garage but the experience was worth it.   Finally, to the disbelief of the Tesla evangelists here, one has driven all the Tesla models starting with the Roadster when it was first released.  

Leawood911:
    Carlos from Spain:
    Leawood911:
    CGX car nut:

I would never dream of comparing the two. Did I say I would?  I mentioned I would like to drive it. Seems open minded to me. You should try that.  Why’d you would not imagine me saying things and you do not need to jump to insults first. 

You have been comparing the two repeatedly in this forum, in fact your are the only one doing so. Don't see where I insulted anybody btw.

--

nberry:

You Europeans have superiority attitude which I find distasteful.

And there it is again... "you Europeans"... guess what, I'm not European citizen and sure as heck you are not any more pro-US than I. Don't know where this chip you have on your shoulder about Europe comes from and what it has to do with what we are talking about but again, it is all in your head Nick yes

For the price of a well optioned Taycan, I could own FOUR model 3’s. Why in the world would I want to drive the Taycan? They both run quiet, have a lot of torque and have similar driving range.

Says someone who paid for an "RS" version to drive for only a few miles in the streets, priceless... indecision

--

Guys, keep it cool. It's a car forum after all and not the High Court of the United Federation of Planets

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    753591 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430959 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258706 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255560 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79598 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5256 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868512 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    802184 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM