Crown

Board: Porsche - Taycan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Welcome to the new Taycan Forum!

Leawood911:

Of course. The interior. Lol. 

The interior is an obvious one for anyone yes, but not the only thing, the lack of personalization and options is another, the mundane design also, the quality build (ex: paint, panel gaps, etc) and so on. Can't see the luxury anywhere.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Carlos from Spain:
    Leawood911:

The interior is an obvious one for anyone yes, but not the only thing, the lack of personalization and options is another, the mundane design also, the quality build (ex: paint, panel gaps, etc) and so on. Can't see the luxury anywhere.

Luxury is not having to buy gas or pump gas. Luxury is safety and crash worthy ness. Luxury is being able to use voice commands.  Luxury is heating up your car in a cold closed garage, luxury is using a smartphone to open your car and start it for anyone from anywhere. Luxury is having dozens of seat and interior settings stored for as many people as who want them. Luxury is constant functionality improvements over the air. Luxury is an all glass roof. Luxury is dog mode. Luxury is crazy cheap cost to operate. Luxury is no oil changes or most other service. Luxury is cheaper insurance. Luxury is a car driving itself down the road with just a hand on the wheel.  There are so many things which are luxurious this car does which all the other cars will never ever do.  What exactly matters to you?  That someone who has the same taste in luxury as you do approves of your choice?  Clearly I don’t have this problem and I am very happy I don’t. 
    In my experience with it i don’t have or see any quality issues. It is simply the best and most competent car I have ever owned. The only one where I can say I made the 100% correct and sensible choice. It is safe and fast and economical. I can not see any justification for me ever, ever buying an ICE car again. Note I am not saying just Tesla need apply but ICE is dead in my mind. Makes zero sense now. 
    They use state of art assembly and paint techniques. Other stuff like personalization or overwrought interiors are simply not any justification to go backwards. Would you buy a tube TV because of the beautiful wood cabinet or the feel of the remote control?  
    I have no stake in this discussion other than to give you some insight. Most if not all of you will soon have the same opinion about electric cars in general vs ICE and will look back at this and laugh. 

Leawood911:
    Carlos from Spain:
    Leawood911:

In my experience with it i don’t have or see any quality issues. It is simply the best and most competent car I have ever owned. The only one where I can say I made the 100% correct and sensible choice. It is safe and fast and economical. I can not see any justification for me ever, ever buying an ICE car again. Note I am not saying just Tesla need apply but ICE is dead in my mind. Makes zero sense now. 
    They use state of are assembly and paint techniques. Other stuff like personalization or overwrought interiors are simply not any justification to go backwards. 

That is great, happy for you, really, not every car needs to be luxurious, there needs to be all types for all needs and purposes, but all that is besides the point, which was the misconception nick was pointing out of placing the model3 in a "luxury" category.

I have no stake in this discussion other than to give you some insight. Most if not all of you will soon have the same opinion about electric cars in general vs ICE and will look back at this and laugh. 

You sound like one of those "preachers" on the street trying to convince the world about something. There is a whole bigger world out there that what you can see from your radicalised perspective, that is why you can't understand why most here could care less about your revolution. The day I have to look back at ICE cars I assure you the last thing I will be doing is laughing... meanwhile I will enjoy ICE sportscars for as long as we can before we are forced into people movers.

--

Leawood911:

Luxury is not having to buy gas or pump gas. Luxury is safety and crash worthy ness. Luxury is being able to use voice commands.  Luxury is heating up your car in a cold closed garage, luxury is using a smartphone to open your car and start it for anyone from anywhere. Luxury is having dozens of seat and interior settings stored for as many people as who want them. Luxury is constant functionality improvements over the air. Luxury is an all glass roof. Luxury is dog mode. Luxury is crazy cheap cost to operate. Luxury is no oil changes or most other service. Luxury is cheaper insurance. Luxury is a car driving itself down the road with just a hand on the wheel.  There are so many things which are luxurious this car does which all the other cars will never ever do.  What exactly matters to you?  That someone who has the same taste in luxury as you do approves of your choice?  Clearly I don’t have this problem and I am very happy I don’t. 
    They use state of art assembly and paint techniques. Other stuff like personalization or overwrought interiors are simply not any justification to go backwards. Would you buy a tube TV because of the beautiful wood cabinet or the feel of the remote control?  

Nothing you have mentioned is considered luxury. Most are actually called functionality, convenience, safety. etc. A minivan is full of those 3 factors too yet isn't a luxury car.

A high price tag doesn't means luxury. It's not equatable. Most actually equate paying a high price for stuff that's isn't luxurious stupid. It's like paying Birkin money buying a Michael Kors bag. 

Fit and finish, material usage, craftsmanship are the standard for luxury, and nothing else.

Acrua, Infiniti,Cadillac, Lincoln, and even Lexus are the entry level luxury brand, is Tesla interior even up to those standard yet? No. So they are one level down from them, which is premium. I do considered Teslas, even Model 3, to be a premium sedan, especially for all the content it came with that you mentioned. Within the premium segment, a Model 3 do looks like it's the best though I have to give you that,. But it is definitely far from being considered a luxury sedan.

--

BTW Leawood, you forgot I have a e-Tron? I am not against EV. :)

Oh, and the e-Tron is considered a luxury car, with the fit and finish and material usage, while being cheaper than a comparable Model X which has a premium interior, not luxury interior.

If you think Tesla's factory is 'state of the art', you ain't seen nothing yet. using robots alone doesn't means it's state of the art, and Tesla's factory showcase that completely, the robots don't work and they ended up having to have humans fix problems. 

A state of the art means a factory that's well planned and no hiccups, throwing a bunch of robots in without thinking clearly doesn't means that. 

--

If you want luxury you buy a Bentley - both Tesla and Porsche cannot compete with Bentley’s ‘luxury’. When I specced my Taycan I couldn’t understand the ‘Non-leather’ interior - apparently this is to cater for the new Vegan generation. By the time you have added ‘luxury’ features like leather, glass roof, heated seats, fancy lighting and Nespresso machine, then your options cost is 20-30% of the purchase price. Still won’t feel like a Bentley, but would be far more luxurious than a Tesla. 

OK, here we go again: I know I promised you a Taycan Turbo S "review" some while ago but I wasn't able to keep my word since I got booted from a planned event in the last minute (long story, I could have paid up to be there but I didn't want to).

I was supposed to get a Taycan Turbo S this weekend but apparently there is a "substantial" software update available and it will be done over the next week. So the plan is that I am getting the car next weekend and I can't wait to deliver a thorough review, especially regarding "energy consumption" when driven hard on the Autobahn or like it is supposed to be driven. I am really curious about the outcome and my EV experience. Stay tuned. blush

Lots of photos of course too. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

kiss

--

Great! I stay tunned 

RC ordering a Taycan in 1…2…3…4……

--

997.2 4S / BMW 745e / Donkervoort GT 

spudgun:

...Porsche Taycan 4S on a surprisingly attractive lease? Smiley

spudgun:

Bets on how long he is keeping the Taycan before finding another car? All the while saying the Taycan is different and he will keep it for a long time......................

--

Whoopsy:
    spudgun:

Bets on how long he is keeping the Taycan before finding another car? All the while saying the Taycan is different and he will keep it for a long time......................

Smiley I was planning on getting an EV for the business, the 4S would fit perfectly in the price range but unfortunately Porsche has lousy lease offers right now but maybe this is going to change over time since most people in Germany seem to want to lease the Taycan because they are scared of "old" tech after a year or two. So I could end up with a Tesla as a business car in the end but I still don't know if I really want an EV.

No, the only car I seem to want to keep is the Huracan Performante and if I had the money, I would get a Performante Spyder as well, no kidding. The Performante is just perfect, as if it was tailored specifically for my driving style and needs, unbelievable. It isn't overpowered, the ESP is not restricting at all in Corsa mode and the car tickles all my senses in a way which is difficult to describe. I was always afraid this sort of car will get a lot of negative reaction but so far, it has been the best crowd pleaser and thumbs up creator I ever drove. So no negativity here at all, unlike all the Porsche cars I have driven before. Surprisingly. 

Right now I am more interested in finding the right car for my son though and this proves to be more difficult than I thought. He wants a Dodge RAM 1500 Rebel (see photo) because it is slow and he isn't tempted Smiley but this is not a car suitable for Germany and a 18 year old kid. He wants a good sounding car, so not much to choose from. The Camaro V8 has a teen driver mode which limits the speed to slightly under 140 kph and logs the driving style. Not bad but full throttle is still possible. Then there is the Challenger V8 with the valet mode, also not bad but pretty limiting.

We'll see but like I said before, I am so happy with my Performante, the weekend fun car department is fully covered. Same goes to the daily driver department (GLC 63S AMG). Of course you can never have enough cars in your garage but for now, I am concentrating on other stuff, like finding a good university (maybe even in the US) for my girl, she wants to study computer science (I guess she finally decides what she wants).

RAM1500Rebel_04-980x400.jpg

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

Not sure if you guys have seen this...

https://youtu.be/FV2tMP37ygs

(hint: Bill Gates just got himself a Taycan).

--

Bill Gates has bought a Porsche Taycan to add to his car collection! Smiley

...soon he will join Rennteam! Smiley

wantone:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-02-18/porsche-confirms-taycan-electric-car-caught-fire-in-u-s?fbclid=IwAR0KWY59jmh5vtMtF9o4R79UrYwTuuXVOBYgMPa8UEmEuVyPtw0rhGJerFU

the end of Taycan?

Appearance isn’t great but one needs to eliminate other potential sources of the fire including a defective charging system installed in the house.  If it is the car, Porsche needs to more rapidly for damage control or its EV investment is severely damaged.  

Agree with car nut (which seems to be rare) that it it's too early to draw conclusions. Guess that the big red alert lights are on in Zuffenhausen

schmoell:

Agree with car nut (which seems to be rare) that it it's too early to draw conclusions. Guess that the big red alert lights are on in Zuffenhausen

Not sure if one should feel flattered.  

If one looks at the photograph of the blacken hulk posted below, one will note that the fire department removed the wallboard trying to identify the potential origins of the fire.  One will also note that in the upper righthand corner, the wall is heavily coated with soot.  This is probably where the charger was installed.  Therefore, leaning more heavily toward a charger or wiring issue rather than the Porsche being the source.  

wantone:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-02-18/porsche-confirms-taycan-electric-car-caught-fire-in-u-s?fbclid=IwAR0KWY59jmh5vtMtF9o4R79UrYwTuuXVOBYgMPa8UEmEuVyPtw0rhGJerFU

the end of Taycan?

Haha one Taycan burnt up and it's the end of the Taycan. hundreds of Tesla self combust yet life goes on Smiley

--

Whoopsy:
    wantone:

the end of Taycan?

Haha one Taycan burnt up and it's the end of the Taycan. hundreds of Tesla self combust yet life goes on Smiley

There is a slight difference that this Taycan might be 1/50 on the road today.

CGX car nut:
    wantone:

the end of Taycan?

Appearance isn’t great but one needs to eliminate other potential sources of the fire including a defective charging system installed in the house.  If it is the car, Porsche needs to more rapidly for damage control or its EV investment is severely damaged.  

The charger is also part of the Taycan ecosystem.

wantone:
    CGX car nut:
    wantone:

the end of Taycan?

Do you know if that charger was from Porsche?  A number of Taycan owners previously had owned Teslas.  Also, even if it were a Porsche charger, are you sure that the charger was properly installed?  

There are far too many variables to flippantly assess blame directly on Porsche.  One is sure that Porsche will not behind the facts and will issue an official statement as the investigation progresses.  

CGX car nut:
    wantone:
    CGX car nut:
    wantone:

the end of Taycan?

Do you know if that charger was from Porsche?  A number of Taycan owners previously had owned Teslas.  Also, even if it were a Porsche charger, are you sure that the charger was properly installed?  

There are far too many variables to flippantly assess blame directly on Porsche.  One is sure that Porsche will not behind the facts and will issue an official statement as the investigation progresses.  

Of course I don't. I doubt though that somebody who just spent $200k on a Taycan he/she wouldn't get a Porsche sourced/approved charger for his new super expensive car.

wantone:
    CGX car nut:
    wantone:
    CGX car nut:
    wantone:

the end of Taycan?

Of course I don't. I doubt though that somebody who just spent $200k on a Taycan he/she wouldn't get a Porsche sourced/approved charger for his new super expensive car.

Taycan already come with Porsche's own pillbox charger. But if someone already have EV before, they could already have a wall mounted one in the garage and keep the Porsche one in the bag. 

Taycan uses industrial standard charging ports, any charger can be used, unlike Tesla, where only Tesla equipment can be used.

--

RC:

Not sure if you guys have seen this...

https://youtu.be/FV2tMP37ygs

(hint: Bill Gates just got himself a Taycan).

Elon Musk reaction:

Smiley

Apparently it wasn't plugged in.

https://twitter.com/duaneohly/status/1229732513595170819?s=20

--

2018 White 911 GT3

Cool, so there is no facts yet, everything is speculation except there is a fire in a garage with a Taycan in it.

One of the down side to battery EV. There is so much ready made energy packed into a small space. It's also what makes it so efficient. 

Diesel, gasoline doesn't self combust, it needs an external source of ignition, batteries on the other hand can without external ignition. Even compressed hydrogen could explode inside the container. 

--

The Porsche Taycan Turbo S Launches Into Our Record Books

The Porsche Taycan Turbo S beats Tesla, sets the new quarter-mile record for electric cars

The Top 15 Fastest

as of Feb 5, 2020)

YEAR MAKE MODEL 1/4 MI SPEED DRIVE HP TRQ TRNS CURB WT 0-30 0-60 0-100
    1 2015 Ferrari LaFerrari 9.74* 148.5 RWD 950 516 7tc 3,495 1.1 2.4 4.8
    2 2014 McLaren P1 9.75 148.9 RWD 904 664 7tc 3,411 1.2 2.6 4.7
    3 2015 Porsche 918 Spyder 9.97 145.2 AWD 887 944 7tc 3,791 1.2 2.4 5.1
    4 2019 McLaren Senna 10.08 147.5 RWD 789 590 7tc 3,011 1.4 2.9 5.1
    5 2018 McLaren 720S 10.11 141.5 RWD 711 568 7tc 3,167 1.1 2.5 5.3
    6 2018 Porsche 911 GT2 RS 10.26 139.3 RWD 691 553 7tc 3,355 1.2 2.6 5.5
    7 2019 Lamborghini Aventador SVJ 10.32 136.4 AWD 760 531 7ac 3,902 1.1 2.5 5.6
    8 2005 Bugatti Veyron 16.4 10.37 139.9 AWD 987 922 7tc 4,530 1.2 2.7 5.7
    9 2015 Lamborghini Aventador LP 750-4 SV 10.39 134.7 AWD 740 509 7ac 3,900 1.0 2.6 5.8
    10 2018 Lamborghini Huracan Performante 10.42 134.5 AWD 630 442 7tc 3,493 1.1 2.6 5.8
    11 2018 Ferrari 812 Superfast 10.44 138.6 RWD 789 530 7tc 3,845 1.2 2.8 5.8
    12 2020 Porsche Taycan Turbo S 10.47 130.7 AWD 750 774 1a/2a 5,109 1.0 2.4 5.9
    13 2017 Porsche 911 Turbo S 10.483 131.8 AWD 580 516 7tc 3,557 0.9 2.5 6.0
    14 2016 McLaren 675LT 10.484 139.7 RWD 666 516 7tc 2,993 1.5 3.0 5.7
    15 2017 Tesla Model S P100D (Ludicrous+) 10.51 125.0 AWD 680 791 1a/1a 4,891 0.9 2.3 6.0

Whoopsy:

Cool, so there is no facts yet, everything is speculation except there is a fire in a garage with a Taycan in it.

One of the down side to battery EV. There is so much ready made energy packed into a small space. It's also what makes it so efficient. 

Diesel, gasoline doesn't self combust, it needs an external source of ignition, batteries on the other hand can without external ignition. Even compressed hydrogen could explode inside the container. 

Whatever the ignition source it was toward the front of the car and against the wall.  Otherwise, the fire department would not have ripped the wallboard down.  Note that the wall to the right of the car remains intact.  Again, nothing more is known other than there was a fire in a garage containing a Porsche Taycan. 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690674 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409889 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256093 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235343 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65724 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858555 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774834 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM