Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Cayman / Boxster GTS 4.0

The new 718 GTS 4.0 models: driving pleasure for all the sensesSporty twins packed with four litres of displacement

Stuttgart . Porsche is adding two distinctly sporty and high specification models to its mid-engine sports car range: the 718 Cayman GTS 4.0 and the 718 Boxster GTS 4.0. The new two-seaters are powered by a 294 kW (400 PS) four-litre six-cylinder boxer engine, similar to that used in the 718 Spyder and the 718 Cayman GT4. When combined with the manual six-speed transmission and sports exhaust system, this results in exceptional power delivery and a particularly rewarding driving experience. It achieves the sprint to 100 km/h in 4.5 seconds on its way to a top speed of 293 km/h. Thanks to standard Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) sports suspension, as well as a 20 millimetre lower ride height and Porsche Torque Vectoring (PTV) with mechanical limited slip rear differential, the new generation of GTS achieves a remarkable balancing act between dynamic handling and everyday comfort. The standard Sport Chrono package with upgraded Porsche Track Precision App also emphasises the athletic character of the mid-engine sports cars. Black contrasting design elements and a dark Alcantara® interior create highlights typical of GTS models.

The 718 Cayman GTS 4.0 will be available in Germany, including country-specific equipment and 19 per cent VAT, at a price of €81,926 while the 718 Boxster GTS 4.0 will be priced at €83,949. Both models will be available at German dealerships from the end of March 2020.

As with the 718 Spyder and 718 Cayman GT4, the powerful four-litre engine is characterised by exceptional efficiency. Adaptive cylinder control that alternately switches off one of the two cylinder banks at low loads, direct fuel injection with piezo injectors and a variable intake system also contribute to the car’s efficiency. The GTS engine also impresses with its superior power reserves and immediate response characteristics. It effortlessly revs to 7,800 rpm and, thanks to the standard sports exhaust system with dynamic damper control, also enjoys the acoustic advantages of the rich six-cylinder boxer engine sound. The 718 GTS 4.0 models adopt the twin tailpipe sports exhaust system with integrated gasoline particulate filter from the 718 Spyder and 718 Cayman GT4. With its saddle-type design, this creates space for the contrasting black rear lower section that was specially developed for the GTS models.

With exceptionally precise handling, agile steering and responsive cornering, the chassis also promises an exciting driving experience. It combines dynamic handling with suspension comfort that is suitable for everyday use. Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) is part of its standard equipment. This goes hand in hand with a chassis that has been lowered by 20 millimetres in standard form. Optionally, the PASM sports suspension lowers the body by just 10 millimetres. Other standard equipment includes performance-orientated components such as Porsche Stability Management (PSM) with separately selectable PSM Sport mode, the Sport Chrono package including the upgraded Porsche Track Precision App, Porsche Active Drivetrain Mounts (PADM) and Porsche Torque Vectoring (PTV) with mechanical limited slip rear differential.

The mid-engine sports cars are fitted with 20-inch light-alloy wheels in Satin-Gloss Black. High-performance tyres (235/35 ZR 20 at the front and 265/35 ZR 20 at the rear) surround the enhanced brake system, which features cross-drilled discs and red callipers. The Porsche Ceramic Composite Brake (PCCB) is available as an option.

Dark, contrasting details reflect the particularly sporty status of the GTS cars, which applies to the spoiler lip, the all-black air intake of the Sport Design front apron, the front fog light lenses, the rear light lenses and the redesigned lower rear bumper.
    In the interior, dark Alcantara® creates a sporty, elegant ambience. This is used for the centre panels of the standard Sport Seats Plus, as well as the steering wheel rim, centre console, gear lever and armrests on both doors. In the 718 Cayman GTS 4.0, it also covers the A-pillars and the roof lining. The optional GTS interior package adds another colour: the choice here is between Carmine Red or Crayon. This accentuates the rev counter, seat belts, all decorative seams including the embroidered GTS emblem in the headrests and the Porsche lettering on the floor mats with black borders. The trim elements as well as the centre console trim are made of carbon.

The 718 GTS 4.0 models come as standard with Porsche Communication Management (PCM) with a high-resolution seven-inch touchscreen and the Sport Chrono package, including the enhanced Track Precision App. This smartphone app, which originates from motorsport, shows performance-related data on the PCM display while in race track use and records it for later analysis. The online navigation module with real-time traffic information, voice control and Porsche Connect are available as options, as are a BOSE® Surround Sound System and Burmester High-End Surround Sound System.

Re: Cayman / Boxster GTS 4.0

Is this basically Porsche admitting that it was a mistake to put the 4 cylinder engines in the Boxster/Cayman range?

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

Noooo, how dare you assuming something like this ???? Smiley 

Well, as funny as it may seem, for example in China, Porsche actually needs the 4cyl. 2l engine else the modells would be too expensive. By the way, I am not a supporter of the "broken beetle 1302 engine sound", but this engine in the "T" seems to provide a lot of fun (on the track as well)...

The 4.0 at least is a nice offer from Porsche - due to emission and economic considerations I doubt that Porsche can afford not offering these 4cyls in their model range.

d997h:

Noooo, how dare you assuming something like this ???? Smiley 

Well, as funny as it may seem, for example in China, Porsche actually needs the 4cyl. 2l engine else the modells would be too expensive. By the way, I am not a supporter of the "broken beetle 1302 engine sound", but this engine in the "T" seems to provide a lot of fun (on the track as well)...

The 4.0 at least is a nice offer from Porsche - due to emission and economic considerations I doubt that Porsche can afford not offering these 4cyls in their model range.

With the Taycan, I guess Porsche can "afford" to offer more of these cars since the Taycan should "adjust" the fleet consumption to a lower level, something Porsche was probably missing since they stopped making Diesel models. Just a guess though...

Speaking of Taycan: I found over a dozen Taycan Turbo and Turbo S at German dealers, brand-new, available for immediate pickup. Weird.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

agree ! the taycan probably made it possible to go for a 6 pot again kiss

BjoernB:

agree ! the taycan probably made it possible to go for a 6 pot again kiss

That is a nice benefit - probably helps with keeping the GT3 NA also...

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Speaking of the Taycan: I configured a Taycan 4S to my needs, didn't really go crazy on the specs and ended up with almost 160k (incl. winter wheels). Ouch. The latest Tesla S P100D is around 105k. Fully loaded.

So I'm really not sure how successful the Taycan will be, especially in Europe.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

My view - the first few taycan at most dealers will sell quickly then the rich buyers will run think and it’s going to be a hard sell. Same with the 4S. The first ones will sell and then stall.  Some good lease deals coming down the line to shift them. 

--

Tesla Model S P100d. 2018 991.2 GT3. 2019 BMW M850i Convertible. 2020 Tesla Model 3 Performance. 2020 Aston Martin Vantage. 2020 Mclaren 720S coupe. 🥳

There was me thinking there was a Taycan board elsewhere on Rennteam.....Smiley

Anyway, back on 718 GTS 4.0 topic, great to see that Porsche have at long last given the 718 the engine it deserves! Strange no PDK option though. But it’s very expensive for what it offers, similar money would buy an almost new 991/2 S or even a GTS. I won’t be buying one. The only advantage are slight improvements in some areas over our 981 GTS, won’t sound as good and in some areas I prefer the 981, in particular I don’t like the protruding air vents on top of the fascia and the return of the sport chrono “wart” compared with the nicely integrated flush fitting items on 981.

--

Porsche Boxster 981 GTS Carrara white / VW Golf GTI 5dr DSG Tornado Red

The price isn't too bad overall. I spec'ed a Cayman GTS up to the same level as the 981 version I bought back in 2014 and it is around £6k more which is an increase of around 8.8%.  That is actually slightly below inflation when adjusted which surprised me.

Glad the flat 6 is back

I would have liked a 718 GTS 4.0 WITH PDK but with manual, I do not see that much of an incentive to replace my 981 GTS PDK. The new 718 GTS seems to be a great car, however, I hope that people about to get delivery of their 718 GTS (4 cyl.) will not be p*ss off now...  

Recent articles are stating that the GT4, and probably the GTS, will have PDK by the end of the year.  

CGX car nut:

Recent articles are stating that the GT4, and probably the GTS, will have PDK by the end of the year.  

Yes, they are getting PDK but we all knew that, didn't we?! Smiley

--

RC:
    CGX car nut:

PDK removes layers of interaction with this wonderful machine.  This is more the spiritual successor to the older 911s than the 992.  However, I keep vacillating between the GTS and the GT4.  

RC:
    CGX car nut:

yes, and, no...the date of introduction was always something like "yes, it will come but not when…" Nevertheless, best thing Porsche can do...

CGX car nut:
    RC:
    CGX car nut:

PDK removes layers of interaction with this wonderful machine.  This is more the spiritual successor to the older 911s than the 992.  However, I keep vacillating between the GTS and the GT4.  

Really ? I drive my car with pdk in manual on track and do not miss further left leg interaction...

Yes, I have also configured both cars already and usually end up with a "saving" of EUR 10k against the GT4... I guess it is a question of whether the preference is more on the subject of chassis and suspension where the GT4 obviously has an "advantage" … as a daily and for some spirited driving the GTS would suffice, I think...

I agree, I shift manually 99% of the time in my Performante and it is fun like hell. Operating the clutch isn't exactly interaction, it is more of a technical necessity. Smiley

--

Shifting manually in my PDK RS is fun. In my PDK 997 not so much. 
    Using a clutch  helps to do something connected with driving when in boring traffic or on speed restricted roads. 
    In my sub urban area , I enjoy driving my 964 the most  

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm -- 991.2 GT3 RS 

Correct.  One has never felt burdened, even in heavy traffic, to working the clutch and gear change.  It brings in another tactile contact lint with the car. 

CGX car nut:

Correct.  One has never felt burdened, even in heavy traffic, to working the clutch and gear change.  It brings in another tactile contact lint with the car. 

I assume you're being facetious. Shifting with a clutch is pure torture in heavy traffic,Smiley

--

When you're going through hell.....keep going.

Problem being the 718 is quite an old design now, it is not a sufficient step ahead for me to change our Boxster GTS for.  The Porsche that lights my fire is the 992 Carrera S Coupe, waiting for used ones to come into my price range to be tempted.

--

nberry:
    CGX car nut:

I assume you're being facetious. Shifting with a clutch is pure torture in heavy traffic,Smiley

The clutch on the 991.2 GT3 is so light and easy to modulate that only someone who hates driving would call it torture.

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Grant:
    nberry:
    CGX car nut:

The clutch on the 991.2 GT3 is so light and easy to modulate that only someone who hates driving would call it torture.

Absolutely correct.  There are times when one is stuck in heavy traffic for an hour or two.  Shifting is never torture and usually quite enjoyable because it is doing something more than staring at the tail lamps of the car-usually a crossover-in front. 

Manual option is great... However in my RS60 Spyder the clutch was as heavy as the 997 RS - and when you are stuck in London traffic for 3 hours it hurts! My 981 Spyder clutch was lighter, so I guess the 718 clutch is similar.

The weight of the 718 is the biggest disappointment. GTS is around 100kg more than 981 Spyder, and 718 Spyder is even heavier? RC would know best, but isn’t the Huracan Performante lighter than the new Boxster? If so, that’s nuts!! 100kg+ makes a big difference when you are driving properly...  :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcJhjJos2N4

dreamcar:

Problem being the 718 is quite an old design now, it is not a sufficient step ahead for me to change our Boxster GTS for.  The Porsche that lights my fire is the 992 Carrera S Coupe, waiting for used ones to come into my price range to be tempted.

i do like the idea of a 4.0 Boxster, but have a similar concern - feels like the 981/718 has been out a long time and there must be a replacement with all the 992 tech in the pipeline. Anyone know roughly when this might happen?

--

2019 911 GT3 RS,1964 Type 1

DaveGordon:
    dreamcar:

i do like the idea of a 4.0 Boxster, but have a similar concern - feels like the 981/718 has been out a long time and there must be a replacement with all the 992 tech in the pipeline. Anyone know roughly when this might happen?

They have internally called the 718 the 982 (even though it should have been 981.2), so I am thinking they do not expect to keep current with the 992.  Seems they are delaying a major change until they can decide whether to make the next Boxster/Cayman EV only...

--

Grant:
    nberry:
    CGX car nut:

Grant, you enjoy engaging the clutch traveling a few feet and engaging the clutch over and over? Smiley Down with the clutch, then up then down and so on. If you consider that fun driving, you’re right, I don’t enjoy “fun” driving. 

Truth be told, that’s a Freudian masturbation syndrome. Smiley

--

When you're going through hell.....keep going.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM