Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

New Mini John Cooper Works GP coming (2019)

The abbreviation GP in connection with MINI regularly sparks the interest of racing enthusiasts who are fans of the British premium brand. And since the name of Name John Cooper Works is always mentioned in the same breath, the immediate effect is a sense of excitement at the imminent prospect of a very special model. And this is now justified: next year the new MINI John Cooper Works GP will be taking roads all over the world by storm – along with the hearts and minds of a particularly performance-oriented target group. The new edition of the top athlete in the model range is powered by a 4-cylinder engine with an output of more than 220 kW/300 hp and featuring MINI TwinPower Turbo Technology, making it by far the fastest and most powerful MINI ever to be approved for use on the road. Its market launch will call for fast decisions, too: the new MINI John Cooper Works GP is to be produced in a limited edition of just 3 000.

Anyone who gets the chance to take a seat in one of these exclusive, extremely athletic cars can look forward to pure driving fun and uncompromising race feeling. This was the promise offered at the Frankfurt Motor Show back in September 2017 when the MINI John Cooper Works GP Concept with its powerfully emotional look was presented for the first time. Large front and rear aprons, a striking roof spoiler and the extensive use of lightweight materials left no doubt as to the sporty ambitions of the study.

Serial production development for the new MINI John Cooper Works GP is now entering its crucial phase – namely on the race track, where whole-vehicle testing is to be carried out in the course of the next few months. Drawing on tradition-steeped John Cooper Works expertise, the suspension developed specifically for this model will be precisely adapted to the exceptionally high output of the new engine. Rigorously defined aerodynamic properties and an optimised weight go together with the relevant drive and suspension technology to create an optimum all-in package for thrilling performance characteristics.

Focused application of motor racing technology and expertise lays the foundation for new records in the fight against the clock. The benchmark here is the top athlete of the last MINI generation. The Nürburgring-Nordschleife lap time achieved by the predecessor model of the new MINI John Cooper Works GP was 8:23 minutes– faster than many a sports car from the higher segments. In fact, MINI has quite a tradition of leaving supposedly superior competitors behind it. In the hands of Formula 1 designer John Cooper, the classic Mini itself matured to become a small but high-speed racing machine that regularly beat the big players at their own game – not least with its three outright victories at the Monte Carlo Rally.

The new MINI John Cooper Works GP is based on the principle of tapping into the sporting genes of the MINI to create a superior racing machine – in fact it embodies this notion in its most extreme form. Its predecessor was produced in a limited edition of 2 000 vehicles, as was the MINI Cooper S with John Cooper Works GP Kit which came out back in 2006. Both have since become much-coveted collector’s items. And the new model is already being eagerly anticipated by fans of the MINI and John Cooper Works brands.

“The fastest MINI in our brand history – which now goes back 60 years – is an expression of pure racing passion,” says Thomas Giuliani, Vice President Product and Launch Management. “We are well aware of the enormous fascination exercised by the MINI John Cooper Works GP, not just from the euphoric reactions to the concept vehicle but also from past experience: after all, every one of its predecessors was completely sold out even before the official market launch.”

Teaser photo available only...

P90336210_lowRes_mini-john-cooper-wor.jpg

It is however likely that it looks similar to this concept...

Mini-John-Cooper-Works-GP-Concept-2017-Alle-Infos-und-Bilder-1200x800-01323b243118f4fc.jpg

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

Re: New Mini John Cooper Works GP coming (2019)

Last July I took delivery of a new 2019 JCW. I use the car when I go to Portugal. I just love the car! Not quite the GP3 but it suits my vacation needs.

Winston Having Lunch.jpg

Here some real life pics from last weekend of the Mini JCW GP3 at Zell am See.

I don´t like it - the roof wing and the carbon side plates are too much for me...I will keep my GP2 forever...

Blueflame

IMG_8181.jpg
    IMG_8183.jpg
    IMG_8184.jpg
    IMG_8185.jpg

I agree. The GP3 is OTT. I much prefer my JCW.

Spyderidol:

Last July I took delivery of a new 2019 JCW. I use the car when I go to Portugal. I just love the car! Not quite the GP3 but it suits my vacation needs.

Congrats, quite a posh choice for a vacation ride. Smiley

blueflame:

Here some real life pics from last weekend of the Mini JCW GP3 at Zell am See.

I don´t like it - the roof wing and the carbon side plates are too much for me...I will keep my GP2 forever...

Blueflame

IMG_8183.jpg

Have to agree, the Mk.2 is much more coherent in so many ways. Also quite surprised how much has visually changed from the concept to the production car. I had hoped the GP can rectify some of the odd proportions on the F56 but the additional fender flares look too small now next to these gigantic head- and taillights. 

Ferdie:
    Spyderidol:

Thanks Ferdie! I configured it, ordered it, and paid for it all on line...from 9,000Km away! The first time I have ever bought a car in this fashion. Fortunately I had a excellent sales guy that assisted me with the whole process (registration, insurance, etc).

I now go twice a year to Portugal and travel quite a lot to Spain (I did Salamanca, Bilbao and San Sebastian last summer), so I use it on quite a regular basis. 

I now understand the obsession that some have for Mini's. The F56 may seem  visually a little odd (for some) when comparing it to the R56, but  in my eyes it is a beauty and much better looking in the metal . 

Winston (Close-up).jpg

I had the JCW for three years...never understood the obsession. yes 

Drove the new A45 AMG recently...wow...what a fun car. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

Different strokes for different folks.

For me its perfect: Easy to park (in Lisbon and other cities), Its fast enough for heavy regulated European roads: Its sporty without being OTT. It looks good (to me and to many)  and It's affordably priced. It's big enough for my wife and I. Whats not to like?

also - The A45 AMG is about 45% more expensive  than the JCW in Portugal.

Spyderidol:

For me its perfect: Easy to park (in Lisbon and other cities), Its fast enough for heavy regulated European roads: Its sporty without being OTT. It looks good (to me and to many)  and It's affordably priced. It's big enough for my wife and I. Whats not to like?

1. Serious traction issues.

2. Steering could be more direct (a bit indifferent vs. the A45 or the RS3 for example)

3. Stability issues on the Autobahn at speeds over 200 kph (doesn't always feel safe, very sensitive steering in that speed range)

4. E63 S feels more go-kart like than the JCW, which is a bit weird, even if the JCW feels lighter of course.

I could go on but I guess it really depends on what you need this car for and what your options are/were.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

RC:
    Spyderidol:

2. Steering could be more direct (a bit indifferent vs. the A45 or the RS3 for example)

3. Stability issues on the Autobahn at speeds over 200 kph (doesn't always feel safe, very sensitive steering in that speed range)

4. E63 S feels more go-kart like than the JCW, which is a bit weird, even if the JCW feels lighter of course.

I could go on but I guess it really depends on what you need this car for and what your options are/were.

Was your JCW an F56?

• I have experienced no traction issues and most front engined small cars will have some traction issues when roads are rough but Im also not driving it like I would if I was a 20 year old.
    • The steering is direct enough for me and at least as good as any similarly priced car.
    • I have never driven an E63 , but the go-kart feeling I get from my JCW is satisfying enough for me. And now you are comparing it to car that costs 4 times the amount (in Portugal).

I get it. You dont like Minis. You think that they are beneath you. That's fine. They do just fine for me.

Spyderidol:
    RC:
    Spyderidol:

Was your JCW an F56?

Yes, F56...brand new on the market when I picked it up, dealer had just registered a test-car and I leased it after a week. Had it for three years.

• I have experienced no traction issues. but Im also not driving it like I would if I was a 20 year old.

Smiley Well... 

• The steering is direct enough for me and at least as good as any similarly priced car.

The older JCW had a better steering, felt more go-kart like.

• I have never driven an E63 , but the go-kart feeling I get from my JCW is satisfying enough for me. And now you are comparing it to car that costs 4 times the amount (in Portugal).

I was comparing a 2 ton sedan to it, that was my point. Smiley I expected more from a Mini with the JCW label. 

I get it. You dont like Minis. You think that they are beneath you. That's fine. They do just fine for me.

Minis are beneath me? Smiley I had four Mini Cooper in my life, two of them JCW models. Smiley

--

...but you dont understand the obsession and you had 4!yes. This one is my first, and Im very pleased with it so far.  Try a later version of the F56. 

Not all agree with your assessment of the car at 200km/h +. Here is an example:

...That’s where the Mini’s super-bright HUD (head-up display) comes in very handy, not that you have to worry about your speed over here, but it’s nice to know you’ve cracked the 200km/h mark. Amazingly, on some stretches it’s too slow and you start to push on to 230–245km/h, but even then it’s not uncommon to have to pull to the right allowing faster vehicles to pass.

It’s surprising just how stable the JCW is at these speeds. There’s very little movement at the front end, allowing the driver to keep the right foot pinned with absolute confidence, even in those long sweeping bends that so often link the unrestricted sections on the Autobahn.

https://www.caradvice.com.au/784216/2019-mini-john-cooper-works-hatch-review-from-munich-to-the-nurburgring/

I had the previous GP for a couple of years, it was a fun thing to have, if on the side. It's seriously compromised as daily transport, but as a fun pocket rocket I did like it. That said it managed to be fun on the road but completely felt exposed on Nordschleife, Mégane RS's would just fly past as it was so stiffly sprung you'd just bounce around, torque steering your way around the track.

No, give me an R26.R or perhaps the new GR Yaris any day, content over appearance/marketing.

--

1969 Mercedes-Benz 300SEL 6.3  / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS (sold) / 2011 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Performance / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 Clubsport

Porker:

I had the previous GP for a couple of years, it was a fun thing to have, if on the side. It's seriously compromised as daily transport, but as a fun pocket rocket I did like it. That said it managed to be fun on the road but completely felt exposed on Nordschleife, Mégane RS's would just fly past as it was so stiffly sprung you'd just bounce around, torque steering your way around the track.

No, give me an R26.R or perhaps the new GR Yaris any day, content over appearance/marketing.

Yes, I dont think it will in the league of the Megane RS. 

Did you have a GP2? If so that is based on the R56. Quite a difference to the F56

The F56 has become more comfortable, as a single car it might indeed be more suitable. We use the R56 as a secondary car and for any curvy bits it is just marvellous. And I agree with Rui, once you get to know the car, the character and the brand you understand its appeal. Have never had any interest in them before I drove one for the first time a couple years a go.

Porker:

I also don’t remember but didn’t you own the GP1 model?

I‘d say the R56 with proper suspension and some additional modifications is quite a serious machine, also in comparison to a R26. The basis for that is clearly there, the suspension alone is quite sophisticated for its class. Out of the box, the Megane is certainly more geared towards track usage.

Spyderidol:
    Ferdie:
    Spyderidol:

Thanks Ferdie! I configured it, ordered it, and paid for it all on line...from 9,000Km away! The first time I have ever bought a car in this fashion. Fortunately I had a excellent sales guy that assisted me with the whole process (registration, insurance, etc).

I got my girlfriend another R56, checked it, and drove it home after transferring the money on the spot via mobile phone. Not as avantgardistic as your approach but pretty new to me as well. Buying a car as others buy chewing gum...

I had this one... 

07D468A6-D8D3-4A8A-B4A4-4A37327E5C83.jpeg

--

1969 Mercedes-Benz 300SEL 6.3  / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS (sold) / 2011 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Performance / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 Clubsport

And this is my GP2.

I have a Classic Mini Cooper (1996), had a R53 JCW and a R56 JCW WC50.

My DD is right now this  R56 JCW GP2.

We also have another F56 Cooper  in the family and I don´t like it. It´s to big and the driving position and the feeling of the car has nothing to do with the original Mini-Feeling. I also drove the AMG A45 and the RS3 - both cars are much faster than the Minis and more stable and higher speeds, but really boring - IMO.

I will definitely not buy a F56 for myself, but this funky Yaris GR is itching me a lot...;-)

Blueflame

IMG_1572.jpg

Porker:

I had this one... 

07D468A6-D8D3-4A8A-B4A4-4A37327E5C83.jpeg

Absolutely stunning to me. Yes, its a R56.

Looking back at it now, they're quite pretty little cars!

--

I have a R53 JCW Clubman . It is actually my wife's DD . I do not like to drive it . The front train can not handle the torque . Don't like the feeling of having to fight with the steering wheel to keep the car going where I want in a strong corner . The brakes are so strong that you nearly  hit the windshield each time you brake too abruptly .  Also not mad about the position of the steering wheel . 

I like the look . 

Maybe it will be replaced with the Yaris GR if I get my wife to like the idea indecision  but not sure its her taste ....

Last summer I went around the Ring in a very modified R56 as a passenger . It was an event . So fast . I was blown away . Maybe some of yguys know the driver . An Italien guy that is very often there with a friend that has a very modified Megan RS and they just keep chasing each other around . 

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm -- 991.2 GT3 RS 

Porker:

The GP was really great fun (had the chance to drive one a couple of times). The current JCW is not even close to the GP, the steering is a big disappointment.

The new Yaris GR sounds like a great little fun car indeed. 

--

Spyderidol:

...That’s where the Mini’s super-bright HUD (head-up display) comes in very handy, not that you have to worry about your speed over here, but it’s nice to know you’ve cracked the 200km/h mark. Amazingly, on some stretches it’s too slow and you start to push on to 230–245km/h, but even then it’s not uncommon to have to pull to the right allowing faster vehicles to pass.

It’s surprising just how stable the JCW is at these speeds. There’s very little movement at the front end, allowing the driver to keep the right foot pinned with absolute confidence, even in those long sweeping bends that so often link the unrestricted sections on the Autobahn.

https://www.caradvice.com.au/784216/2019-mini-john-cooper-works-hatch-review-from-munich-to-the-nurburgring/

I don't care who agrees or not but drive over 200 kph on the Autobahn in the car and make slight (only very very little) movements with the steering and you'll see what happens (hint: don't really try to make sudden lane changes at Vmax). This is not a very safe car at higher speeds but it is of course impressive to drive 260 (speedo speed) in such a little car on the Autobahn, no doubt.

--

RC:
    Spyderidol:

I don't care who agrees or not but drive over 200 kph on the Autobahn in the car and make slight (only very very little) movements with the steering and you'll see what happens (hint: don't really try to make sudden lane changes at Vmax). This is not a very safe car at higher speeds but it is of course impressive to drive 260 (speedo speed) in such a little car on the Autobahn, no doubt.

Unfortunately I will not drive it on the Autobahn in the foreseeable future and driving at 200 kph in Portugal will most likely cost you your drivers license.

As I have said before, I drove it over 2000 km  on my trip to Spain  on highways, and besides having had a very comfortable (not luxurious) drive, I had no handling issues at all.

https://youtu.be/Gp4jpZNj1Wk

Hello Rennteamer. Have not been around for awhile! Just wondering if anyone got one of these GP3 or are planning to? I may have an opportunity to pick one up in a few weeks but just not sure if I should. I used to have a GP2 but this new car is just so much faster. Put on a set of OZ Racing Rally wheels and it would look epic!

Good to see you, Way wink 

Sorry, don't have any info about GP3, but looks fun.

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    753146 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430745 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258601 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255467 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79518 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5256 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868342 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801905 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM