Crown

Board: Porsche - Taycan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Welcome to the new Taycan Forum!

Just back from the Ice force pro in Finland, was a blast like every year. This year we could also drive the Taycan. There were app 14 Taycan's (Turbo S), these were pre-production cars. The same cars the dealer introduction was done with in Spain and Portugal. It was a blast driving and drifting with this car. Extremely easy to drift and drift angels you would not believe are possible. You did not need time to get used to the car; immediately you felt at home and could drift as a pro. After 30 minutes because of the hugh power, the ice was gone at the starting point. Nice car cannot wait untill end march for my car.

That must have been pure joy for some days; not only because of the Taycan. Looking forward to read about your impressions with your car. We'll be off to Lappland on Friday; temperature there is about -4C atm, compared to -25C in the last years. Hope that this does not affect the frozen lake too much :) 

The Taycan will have amazing ice and winter traction. It seems to be universal with electric motors and computer control. 

Whoopsy:

Another pointless comparison.

Teslas are all engineered for the US market, they can't drive fast and most people only value acceleration Gs from rest and not lateral Gs.

Taycan is design more for the European and world markets, where people can drive fast and value lateral Gs over acceleration Gs, not that they don't care but they place less importance on ultimate acceleration.

Taycan is a performance car that happens to be a EV, Teslas are EV that happens to have performance.

Autobahn travel speed is not Tesla's forte, it is literally out of its elements doing that. 

The 3 does lateral G’s  very well for the street.  I’m not certain why you conflate the 3 and the S in that category. Any better cornering would be pointless.  I would not mind seeing a track comparison between the two. They have compared it to the M3. The S is clearly a large boat but my little 3 is brilliant in corners. Of course I would not track it but I certainly would not need more to be amused on the street. Awesome how you belittle that amazing acceleration to 60 or 100 for that matter.  For those of us with a real budget and bills to pay it is just what we can afford. I can not afford a fancy interior nor do I consider the 3 any compromise at all.  Matter of good t
    just went to North Dallas and back with one stop in Wichita. Drove just like I always would. 70-80 mph. 40 minutes of charging. V2 supercharger.  

How is saying things as they are belittling?

To North Americans, 0 to highway speed is what they valued, that's like 60-70-80mph. NO one dispute Tesla is literally perfect in that range.

Their motors are also most efficient around that speed too.

Drag racing 1/4 miles is also American's favourite pass time, and to no one's surprise Tesla is also doing that perfectly.

Europeans have access to the Autobahn, and the high speed acceleration is what they are after, from speed limit to whatever high it will when the unlimited sign shows up. That is more important for them than acceleration from stop light to stop light. Not that the European cars are doing shitty in that department.

They love to race fast too, but they do longer runs, mile run down the runway is a favourite, in those scenarios the Tesla will be at a disadvantage. 

Teslas were never designed for high speed travel. They do excel in low speed travel in North America though as they are designed for it.

--

Here in North America I can drive for days averaging 80 without traffic issues.  Only some limited parts of Germany have no speed limit. In the rest of Europe keeping the type of speed I do here is just a dream come true. Have you driven much in Europe?  What you think they like to do vs what they are able to do is vastly different.  The main decider is cost and availability of cheap electric power. 
    I did not buy it for the subsidy or the speed I bought is because it is a superb second car next to the turbo. 
    At some point you will need to actually spend more time in a 3 to form an accurate opinion. I look forward to that. It will save me time. 

Leawood911:

Here in North America I can drive for days averaging 80 without traffic issues.  Only some limited parts of Germany have no speed limit. In the rest of Europe keeping the type of speed I do here is just a dream come true. Have you driven much in Europe?  What you think they like to do vs what they are able to do is vastly different.  The main decider is cost and availability of cheap electric power. 
    I did not buy it for the subsidy or the speed I bought is because it is a superb second car next to the turbo. 
    At some point you will need to actually spend more time in a 3 to form an accurate opinion. I look forward to that. It will save me time. 

Is this directed at whoopsy?lol... Have you heard of Mr Dunning and Mr Kruger? 

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Leawood911:

3 of my last 4 Porsche were European Delivery, putting down more than 11,000km between the 3. Adding in all the Porsche event's driving and just touristy stuff, think I am up to ~30,000km driving in Europe for the last 3-4 years or so. Most of which were in Germany and around. 

When people say the unlimited section are few, it all depends on where you drive. There are a few stretches of unlimited just between Stuttgart and Hockenheim, quite a few more between Leipzig and Munich, same with between Munich and Stuttgart, all around outside of Berlin, also Munich going south to Italy or East to Austria, just to name a few examples. 

Did I tell you the time when I was doing 260km/hr in the 911R and got blown by a 2.0L Jetta?

Topping 330km/hr in the GT2RS was fun too. 

Also blown away a Model S in my Exclusive going from limited section to unlimited could be the highlight also. 

BTW, in Italy, the speed limit is just a suggestion, if you drive a nice car the Police won't bother you, they might even give you a thumbs up. I love driving in Italy. 

--

Whoopsy:

BTW, in Italy, the speed limit is just a suggestion, if you drive a nice car the Police won't bother you, they might even give you a thumbs up. I love driving in Italy. 

I cannot confirm this statement. I once drove in a Lamborghini LP 640 through Italy. I was followed by a Subaru which turned out to be a police car. Had to pay EUR 500 on the spot and was not allowed anymore to drive in Italy for 6 months. But to be fair, they really did mention that it is a nice car

Josef:
    Whoopsy:

I cannot confirm this statement. I once drove in a Lamborghini LP 640 through Italy. I was followed by a Subaru which turned out to be a police car. Had to pay EUR 500 on the spot and was not allowed anymore to drive in Italy for 6 months. But to be fair, they really did mention that it is a nice car

You have a Swiss plate, they know you are rich and can afford the fine Smiley

--

And here in East Europe people  use Waze and drive as fast as we can... :)smiley

Porsche Taycan driven by Chris Harris on BBC Top Gear on Sunday 9th February 2020...  16F9E3CF-33AC-4CB8-8EA3-F2F280D821DC.gif

9E1CB863-3046-4FE2-917C-DB85E4200013.jpeg

AD5F9BCB-140A-4555-AA2D-62D595A63E6A.jpeg

Smiley

Whoopsy:
    Josef:
    Whoopsy:

You have a Swiss plate, they know you are rich and can afford the fine Smiley

Smiley Smiley

I have to agree with Whoopsy though: If you are careful, you can get away with lots of things in Italy in a nice sports car. It also helps to have a wife with you who speaks Italian. Smiley Smiley 

Biggest mistake drivers make when they get stopped in Italy is arguing with the police officers and/or being arrogant. Then they really "f.ck" you. Be very very(!) apologetic, blame the car and the nice roads and if you are lucky, you get away without a fine or just with a few bucks. I'm in Italy very often, so... Smiley Make no mistake though: If you put people in danger or drive like a real jerk, they will fine you.

We always drive in small groups in Italy and let a motorcycle or other car "clear" the road ahead of us (I guess Whoopsy knows what I am referring to Smiley). If I am alone, I am usually with one of my kids, so I drive more careful anyway but some curves can't be done over the legal speed (100 kph) anyway, so I'm good. The roads there are lots of fun, not many roads of these kind here in Germany or other regions I visited.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

Car And Driver: Porsche Taycan Turbo S vs. Tesla Model S Performance: Electric Flattery

Tests:

After the 2nd launch control the Tesla was done

Taycan Turbo S:

Highs: Arresting looks, time-warping acceleration, range is a nonissue.
    Lows: Lacking in storage and rear-seat space, all-the-money price.
    Verdict: Porsche creates the Porsche of EVs, applies Porsche pricing.

Tesla Model S Performance:

Highs: Spacious and airy, still megaquick, one-pedal driving.
    Lows: Dull handling, feels its size and weight.
    Verdict: Eight years in, the Model S continues to impress.

I would enjoy a comparison to the model 3. Next generation Tech and a much better handling car in the same size category.  The model s comparison will be interesting when the next model S comes out.  Unless you enjoy comparing to 9 year old tech and relishing victory in categories not likely to encounter on the street.  

the Price just kills the taycan....

--

Tesla Model S P100d. 2018 991.2 GT3. 2019 BMW M850i Convertible. 2020 Tesla Model 3 Performance. 2020 Aston Martin Vantage. 2020 Mclaren 720S coupe. 🥳

Leawood911:

I would enjoy a comparison to the model 3. Next generation Tech and a much better handling car in the same size category.  The model s comparison will be interesting when the next model S comes out.  Unless you enjoy comparing to 9 year old tech and relishing victory in categories not likely to encounter on the street.  

Model 3 Performance is far less powerful than a Taycan turbo. Different class of performance. Also exterior and interior cannot be compared to a Taycan. The Tesla 3 looks more like a compact car.

EnglishManInNY:

But everything else is superior by far. If you can pay the price you get the best car Smiley The Tesla is cheaper but a compromise.

MKSGR:
    EnglishManInNY:

But everything else is superior by far. If you can pay the price you get the best car Smiley The Tesla is cheaper but a compromise.

There are some things you shouldn’t compromise on in life - and Porsche is one of them :)

A few pages back I wrote that the Taycan is the beginning of the end for Porsche.  I was told I was wrong because VW is investing billions in electronic cars and Porsche has a long history of engineering breakthroughs and a great brand name.  [Ford famously spent 6 billion on the Mondeo and accordingly dominates the midsize sedan market to this day.  Kodak, Motorola, Atari, Duesenberg and others had great brand names and were known for engineering brilliance.]

My argument was no teenager will have a Taycan poster on their wall.  To put it another way; a Porsche was a marvel of engineering demonstrably better than the competition.  A Taycan is a marvel of technology which costs much more than the competition.  Engineering lasts, technology becomes obsolete.  I think we all subconsciously recognize this, which is partially why there's so much Tesla bashing.  (Kudos to the owners who keep returning for the e-beatings they take defending their cars.)

The Taycan is a great car.  It is also ridiculously expensive.  When the next generation of electronic cars come out from multiple competitors and are equal, on paper anyway, to a Taycan, VW will find it very hard to justify the Porsche premium or handicapping the Audi, VW and Seat.

Porsches are the quintessential Veblen goods with corresponding price inelasticity.  Porsche has few issues selling high priced ICE vehicles including the 911 Turbo S, Panamera, and Cayenne.  Each of these vehicles have perceived competitors yet thousands of these models reliably find customers every year.  The Taycan is the same.  If Porsche, for example, builds 40,000 Taycans per year, less than 10% will be the halo Turbo/Turbo S variants.  Four thousand very expensive Taycans will readily find homes.  

EnglishManInNY:

If I were to get one I wouldn't buy one. It will be strictly a lease car, I do not want to get stuck with one down the road. 

EV cars are like cell phones, there is always a newer version around the corner. Who doesn't have a drawer full of old phones that isn't worth any money right now? And I do not want a garage full of useless EVs down the road.

--

The leases on the taycan are I am sure crazy right now. Down the road I am sure they will be half the price. This is when I may get one. Porsche are nuts at this price point. Time as usual will very much tell. 

--

Tesla Model S P100d. 2018 991.2 GT3. 2019 BMW M850i Convertible. 2020 Tesla Model 3 Performance. 2020 Aston Martin Vantage. 2020 Mclaren 720S coupe. 🥳

EnglishManInNY:

The leases on the taycan are I am sure crazy right now. Down the road I am sure they will be half the price. This is when I may get one. Porsche are nuts at this price point. Time as usual will very much tell. 

Porsche prices are nuts after the 997 period. 

--

Given the pictures above the Tesla worked well in the real world. I also prefer the Tesla interior versus the taycan one. what the hell are Porsche thinking. The taycan interior looks so meh and busy. 

--

EnglishManInNY:

Given the pictures above the Tesla worked well in the real world. I also prefer the Tesla interior versus the taycan one. what the hell are Porsche thinking. The taycan interior looks so meh and busy. 

This is why we have a market-based economy.  What you like isn’t the same as what others like and the market provides solutions to most parties.  One, personally, has little desire to acquire a commoditized generic rep mobile.  

Boxster Coupe GTS:

Porsche Taycan driven by Chris Harris on BBC Top Gear on Sunday 9th February 2020...  16F9E3CF-33AC-4CB8-8EA3-F2F280D821DC.gif

9E1CB863-3046-4FE2-917C-DB85E4200013.jpeg

AD5F9BCB-140A-4555-AA2D-62D595A63E6A.jpeg

Smiley

A little warm up for Top Gear on Sunday with Chris Harris driving the Porsche Taycan...

Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUmc1JjKUis

Smiley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qnYSQykMW4

Lamborghini Aventador LP700-4: 1:16.50
    ...............Veyron 16.4 Super Sport: 1:16.80
    .....................Gumpert Apollo Sport: 1:17.10
    ........................................Ascari A10: 1:17.30
    ............Mercedes-Benz AMG GT S: 1:17.50
    ............................Honda NSX (Mk II): 1:17.60
    ..............................Koenigsegg CCX: 1:17.60
    .......................................Noble M600: 1:17.70
    ................Porsche Taycan Turbo S: 1:17.60  *********************************
    Zonda C12-F Clubsport Roadster: 1:17.80
    .............Nissan GT-R (R35 530 PS): 1:17.80
    ................................Caterham R500: 1:17.90
    ...................Bugatti EB 16.4 Veyron: 1:18.30
    .................................Pagani Zonda F: 1:18.40
    .................................Maserati MC12: 1:18.90
    ......................................Ferrari Enzo: 1:19.00

.........Tesla Model 3 Performance: 1:21.50

Awesome time for a four door sedan. Shows what electric power can do. 
    And that M3 is on the tail of the Enzo. Very next car... (thought mention of it was illegal in the Taycan forum. Maybe okay if it’s behind?)

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688200 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408564 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255483 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234699 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65333 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4632 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857457 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773151 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM