Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

TPM removed from options

I had to sign and confirm my order today with colour amends so not to miss my build date. After my big disappointment with the removal of s/exhaust (earlier post) my dealer has now had to remove the TPM option as its no longer available.....what is going on?

Re: TPM removed from options

Quote:
    med said:
    I had to sign and confirm my order today with colour amends so not to miss my build date. After my big disappointment with the removal of s/exhaust (earlier post) my dealer has now had to remove the TPM option as its no longer available.....what is going on?

Good question. There are lots of rumours floating around, especially regarding supplier problems.
    BTW: in my opinion, the TPM should be a STANDARD option on all Porsche cars. I have it on my Cayenne Turbo and I really like it, a really great safety feature.

tpm? what's it? Now It's late i know ...but I don't understand... heeh!!

tire pressure monitoring.

thanks!!!

A friend of mine ,here in Italy ordered this option ,but his dealer told him the same : if u wont the tpm the car arrrives in 02/05 ....

Of all the options, I miss this one the most. Definitely got spoiled with it on my C-TT.

i agree with rc ,this option should be standard ,i had twice a flat tyre while going relativly fast..

Quote:
    sergini said:
    thanks!!!

A friend of mine ,here in Italy ordered this option ,but his dealer told him the same : if u wont the tpm the car arrrives in 02/05 ....

Mine is 02/05 build so tell your friend not to wait, it wont be available (assuming my dealer is correct of course)

In the dealers product info guide it says that the TPMS will be an option for MY06....

Good question. There are lots of rumours floating around, especially regarding supplier problems.
    BTW: in my opinion, the TPM should be a STANDARD option on all Porsche cars. I have it on my Cayenne Turbo and I really like it, a really great safety feature.

RC, what are the supplier rumours ?
    I also have TPM although on a M3 (as a standard item), it makes lots of sense for performance cars that are full of technological advances to bring safety up to modern expectations and is something I will miss when the m3 goes.
    My m3 TPM has warned me twice in the last 18 months of tire pressure loss and on one occasion a new tire was required. This is all sad stuff I'm so looking forward to the porsche but my confidence is being chipped away...what next???

Quote:
    Trundle996 said:
    In the dealers product info guide it says that the TPMS will be an option for MY06....

Interesting, so why did my dealer include TPM on my order in the first place? and only once the order was sent up to the factory did I get told about availability problems
    maybe my dealer should check his paperwork better

The OEM supplier website BERU lists the year of contruction for availability as April '05.

They are the OEM supplier for the Cayenne and the Carrera GT as well.

TPM is simple little thing, right?

It works by monitoring slight differences in wheel rotation, right?

Well, if so PSM system would be the guts of TPM, right?

It seems TPM would be a little module that sticks onto the PSM

If this crude anaylsis is correct, it's kinda surpirsing that a little detail like this would be overlooked.

Especially since there's not much leeway between a slightly flat tire and a very expensive destroyed wheel.

No spare tire and now no way to detect flat tire problems early: gee that kinda pi**es me off.

Quote:
    Trundle996 said:
    The OEM supplier website BERU lists the year of contruction for availability as April '05.

They are the OEM supplier for the Cayenne and the Carrera GT as well.

As far as I remember, BERU has been recently bought by a major US supplier.
    Maybe these company changes have something to do with the delay???

Must be a Porsche problem. TPM has been available with no problems at all on BMW's for years

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Must be a Porsche problem. TPM has been available with no problems at all on BMW's for years

Re-read my post. "Recently" vs. "for years".

Does anyone know HOW the TPM system works?

I can't figure it out?

Re: TPM is simple little thing, right?

Quote:
    MaxErnst said:
    It works by monitoring slight differences in wheel rotation, right?

No, it doesn't. There are pressure sensors installed in the wheels.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    dreamcar said:

Re-read my post. "Recently" vs. "for years".

Au contraire RC, can't find the post you mention BUT TPMS was an option in year 2000 when we purchased our last BMW. i.e four YEARS ago and I agree it should be standard as should numerous other things in a high performance car such as xenon lighting. Generosity has never been a Porsche failing

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Au contraire RC, can't find the post you mention BUT TPMS was an option in year 2000 when we purchased our last BMW. i.e four YEARS ago and I agree it should be standard as should numerous other things in a high performance car such as xenon lighting. Generosity has never been a Porsche failing

I mentioned before that BERU has been recently bought by a major US supplier (DELPHI?) and the delay of the Porsche 997 TPM system might be related to internal changes at BERU.
    There also have been rumours that some suppliers, including one or two working with Porsche, have serious money problems and might have to file for bankruptcy. I don't think that Porsche wants to do business with suppliers who will be gone soon.
    Again: a lot of speculations, I agree.
    Regarding BMW and their TPM and other electronics gimmicks: I know so many p.ss.d BMW 7series owners who had so many problems with their systems. Porsche is well known for a pretty "conservative" setup, they don't want to use a system on their cars which doesn't work 100% or at least 99%. Look at the Cayenne, the TPM system works pretty well but sometimes it does weird things too, including loosing the connection to the sensors for a few minutes.

TPM systems should be a standard option on ALL high performance cars worldwide and I'm not sure but I think that TPM systems will be mandatory (by law) in the US by 2006 or 2007. If this happens, this will be a very very good thing.

It should be standard as there is no spare tire. Does that make to much sense?

I received my 997s spec confirmation for March build to sign off. TPMS removed! The dealer said Porsche have pulled the option from all their cars until September 2005 earliest due to TPMS not working properly.

Did you know? TPM is a RF transmitter in the valve stem?