Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Specs and changing my mind

It must be the time of the month affecting me. Having added the telephone module to my order, basically because I don't like looking at a load of buttons that do nothing, I am having second thoughts. Pounds523 is alot of money for something I won't use that much. So do I cancel that and add sport chrono? (I can't justify both). Do I stay with 19" wheels or save Pounds1,000 and go for the standard 18"? Do I really need auto wipers and mirrors? Do I need Bose sound with that engine sound and just have the sound package?

Re: Specs and changing my mind

Been there before.....

I've gone for th Bose myself because I will spend a lot of time in the car doing 'normal' driving too, but with my last one was quite happy with the sound package. don't know when we have to 'lock down' our specs given we've got very similar build dates but I'm hoping it's after the UK launch so we can play with the cars first.

Agree with you on the phone, and I've decided not to even have PCM, my old iPaq & bluetooth GPS will suffice. and I've had it from various sources that you can integrate and aftermarket phone kit with the MOST stereo (radio mute/use car speakers)

Auto wipers - got them on the Mini 'cos I had to, they were part of the package with the heated front screen but as the Boxsters now got 'ifinitely' variable intermittant wipers happy for it not to have them.

The couple of things I'm thinking of taking off that I've specced are:

Homelink - unsure now if my garage door will work with this
    Parking Sensors - managed before without them, but have now got used to having them on the mini
    Bose - like yourself perhaps the soundpack will suffice, but I want ot hear them first. In the 986 there was a big difference (to my ears at least) but I've heard that the sound pack is now much better than it used to be...

Actually still in 2 minds about full leather - looks damn nice but the plastics quality is fine and I tend to be looking out of the window rather than at the dash/door panels (the S has leather seats as std in the UK) Chapelgate actually have a 997 w/o full leather (despite it being std in the UK) so I was able to have a look

Deffo sticking with the 19s though, don't like the look of the 18s on offer...

then again, perhaps I should have stuck with my 997 order!

Fun, fun, fun......

I am staying with the full leather because it does give the car a nice "ambience". Probably stay with the Bose, as that is supposed to be improved - not sure how surround the sound is in the confines of a Boxster? and the 18" style wheels looks a bit "wimpy" compared with the 19"? Phone module is almost certainly coming off, but I will leave PCM because I do like navigation having had it on the BMW. If only one could have "Sport" without "Chrono" - are you taking this on board Mr Weideking?? Seems a majority view on Rennteam
    I will drop in on Mecca tomorrow morning.

Same problems here as well!!!

Just cant decide what I need or want!!

Leather is definately staying as is the 19" wheel, but which one is anothe matter. Cant decide between the Carerra S and classic.
    Options that are doing my nut are the color (Currently silver with blue leather and roof, but might be black / black) and the Bose vs adaptive seats argument!!!!

My dealer has asked for my final spec now, and says I have one more week to finalise!!! Hopefully I can push this back to end of Nov, as I really need to see them in the metal!!!

Quote:
    RichJ said:
    Same problems here as well!!!

Just cant decide what I need or want!!

Leather is definately staying as is the 19" wheel, but which one is anothe matter. Cant decide between the Carerra S and classic.
    Options that are doing my nut are the color (Currently silver with blue leather and roof, but might be black / black) and the Bose vs adaptive seats argument!!!!

My dealer has asked for my final spec now, and says I have one more week to finalise!!! Hopefully I can push this back to end of Nov, as I really need to see them in the metal!!!

Well, silver / blue / blue is definitely staying. The more of you that go to other colours the more exclusive silver will be If only I could try this sport chrono thingy before D Day (Decision Day). All the tests like it. PASM is also on because of the 19" wheels, although ALL the tests I've read, (Evo, Autocar, Car) all say it is a better drive on 18" wheels. I am looking forward to D Day because the agonising will be over! I've been told D Day is 1st week December for Feb build. Viewing wise you may be unofficially be allowed to see the car up to 2 weeks before 23rd at your friendly dealer. Anytime now, then.

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    PASM is also on because of the 19" wheels, although ALL the tests I've read, (Evo, Autocar, Car) all say it is a better drive on 18" wheels.

Hope the following does not confuse you even more.
    I decided to drop the 19" and go for the 18" mainly because of the reviews in the magazines. And the picture of the 18"s on autobild do not look too bad and better then what the majority (non-Porsche) have:
    http://www.autobild.de/projektor/projektor.php?artikel_id=7356&pos=16

Add a set of coloured wheel centres to make them look better.
    Admittedly not as good as the 19". If I decide that the 19" are a must-have I could buy them later next year, but hopefully by then there are some new 18" designs.
    Well that is what I have decided for today. Who knows next week.

Not a bad decision about dropping the 19"s. While I really love the look I see a few problems.....ride quality, tire price, and the way they make all but the biggest brakes look. Seriously.....have you ever taken a look at what the 19"s do to the "look" of the brakes?.....they make 'em look down right small.....even though we know their not.

Quote:
    MikeN said:
    Not a bad decision about dropping the 19"s. While I really love the look I see a few problems.....ride quality, tire price, and the way they make all but the biggest brakes look. Seriously.....have you ever taken a look at what the 19"s do to the "look" of the brakes?.....they make 'em look down right small.....even though we know their not.

Mind will be made up on 18" v 19" when hopefully we will see the 18" at the launch event. The road tests certainly make one think about the 18" wheels. And I agree tyre availability and price should be better with the smaller diamater wheels. Coloured wheel centres I would have on either.

Well, went into Chapelgate aka Porsche Centre Bournemouth this morning and the only thing I changed was to delete the telephone module. The latest advise re PASM is it is recommended with the 19" wheels because of the less compromising ride quality but not so essential on the 18". D Day for changing of mind for February build is November 20th officially but it MAY be possible to change for a very limited time thereafter. Book a test drive as soon as you can after 23rd November if you want to check anything out that might change your mind, is the advise!

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    It must be the time of the month affecting me. Having added the telephone module to my order, basically because I don't like looking at a load of buttons that do nothing, I am having second thoughts. Pounds523 is alot of money for something I won't use that much. So do I cancel that and add sport chrono? (I can't justify both). Do I stay with 19" wheels or save Pounds1,000 and go for the standard 18"? Do I really need auto wipers and mirrors? Do I need Bose sound with that engine sound and just have the sound package?

If you value sound quality don't go for the Bose, have an Alpine system put in by an experienced operation - far far better than Bose IMHO

Quote:
    crayphile said:
    Quote:
    dreamcar said:

If you value sound quality don't go for the Bose, have an Alpine system put in by an experienced operation - far far better than Bose IMHO

Agreed, BUT VERY nervous about letting anybody play around with original equipment - too many warnings posted here about interfering with the MOST system. I like sleeping at night, thankyou very much! I suspect the best sound system is that horizontally opposed six speaker device located immediately behind the cockpit

I have the auto wipers on my MB CLK and it is one option that I love. I have lived with it now since 2001 when I got the Benz, and it is a must have on my new boxster. It just works GREAT!! by continually changing the wiper speed and interval depending on the rain intensity.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM