Crown

Board: Porsche - Taycan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Welcome to the new Taycan Forum!

Impressive braking by the Porsche angry

--

Tesla Model S P100d. 2018 991.2 GT3. 2019 BMW M850i Convertible. 2020 Tesla Model 3 Performance. 2020 Aston Martin Vantage. 2020 Mclaren 720S coupe. 🥳

Whoopsy:
    nberry:

https://www.motor1.com/news/393603/tesla-model-3-porsche-911-drag/

will be more exciting to see who can corner harder though.

A Hellcat can do faster 1/4 mile time than a 911 too. But no one cares.

I drove the Hellcat (Challenger and Charger) on several occasions and while they are fun, they are useless on public roads...and even on the track, with the exception of drag strips maybe. These are "showcars", they are fun but they can barely put the power down, make no sense whatsoever. Dodge is actually missing an opportunity to use this fantastic engine for a proper sports car. Smiley 

I regret selling my Shelby GT500 but to be honest, this is a car I would have driven occasionally for fun, mainly on dry and warm days and for this purpose, I am not wealthy enough to keep such a car as a garage queen.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

You would be shocked to see how well the model 3 handles. It beats an M3 BMW at the track. For driving around town really quickly without attracting attention it can’t be beat plus 100+ mpg.  On Saturday night at midnight I was at a local intersection. When the light turned green I just let it rip like all 99% of all lights in that car. I had just seen two cops earlier a minute ago so I was a bit surprised when the car in the oncoming left turn lane was Leawood SUV cop. As I cleared the intersection going past his door handle I hit 60 in a 45. Keep in mind no other cars around, he is looking for drunks and drag racers. He literally did not even lookup and see me. No chase. Nothing. I though I was going to jail. If I had done the same (not possible to go that quick actually in the turbo) he would have hand cuffed me. Bottom line it is incredible and fun useable power and it does brake and corner very very well. It gets better in the rain and friggin amazing in ice and snow.  Hellcat in the snow. Lol. 
    electric cars are amazing and fun. I never miss the sound. Loud cars look and sound totally stupid to me now. Funny how fast that happened.  I’m sure the Taycan will lead to many happy customers. Just remember you can get many of the same thrills and others from the car I picked. 

Do you have a Performance or base Model 3? I had the impression you had the base model since you go on long driving trips.

Leawood911:

You would be shocked to see how well the model 3 handles. It beats an M3 BMW at the track. For driving around town really quickly without attracting attention it can’t be beat plus 100+ mpg.  On Saturday night at midnight I was at a local intersection. When the light turned green I just let it rip like all 99% of all lights in that car. I had just seen two cops earlier a minute ago so I was a bit surprised when the car in the oncoming left turn lane was Leawood SUV cop. As I cleared the intersection going past his door handle I hit 60 in a 45. Keep in mind no other cars around, he is looking for drunks and drag racers. He literally did not even lookup and see me. No chase. Nothing. I though I was going to jail. If I had done the same (not possible to go that quick actually in the turbo) he would have hand cuffed me. Bottom line it is incredible and fun useable power and it does brake and corner very very well. It gets better in the rain and friggin amazing in ice and snow.  Hellcat in the snow. Lol. 
    electric cars are amazing and fun. I never miss the sound. Loud cars look and sound totally stupid to me now. Funny how fast that happened.  I’m sure the Taycan will lead to many happy customers. Just remember you can get many of the same thrills and others from the car I picked. 

The Model 3's advantage is the acceleration on corner exits, which is another way of say it's straight line acceleration that beats out the M3 on a lap. Not cornering Gs. Think a Model 3 was tested to go 0.90 on a skidpad and a M3 does the same test in 0.98g. That's a big difference in the fun factor. 

If you are talking about the Leguna Seca time, that specific Model 3 in question is a highly modified one driven by a Tesla employee, but one that's a motorsport enthusiast. If you are talking about the Top Gear video where a Model 3 took a 4-0 win to a M3, that track barely have any long straights at all, just little squirts here and there connecting some corners.

On short tracks, like many Autocrosses, a Model 3 would be amazing, the little squirts between corners are the biggest ally to a Model 3, think SCCA recognized that and moved it up a few classes already. 

Do a test between a M3 and a Model 3 on say any of Hockenheim, Spa, Nurburgring GP track, Paul Ricard, Monza, Big Willow, Road Atlanta, VIR, or even my own track, the Model 3 will disappeared in the rear view mirror ver very quickly. 

Driver skills also play a difference. to capable people, there is a big difference between 0.90g and 0.98g, and they can take advantage of the extra grip. But for normal people lapping, 0.90g is like their limit already and they won't be able to take advantage of the extra cornering speed to make up time between corners. 

On normal tracks, a Model 3's advantage out of slow corners will be neutralized by the higher speed attained at end of straights as the strength of a Model 3 is acceleration from low speed to medium speed. 

You Model 3 is silent, hence why cops don't look. That's a big advantage for EVs, they don't attract attention via sound. Same with me in the e-Tron or my Honda pickup, when cops can't hear, they won't noticed.

--

Oh I know the strengths and weaknesses. For a little shitty looking sedan it is a hoot though. 

Do you have a Performance or base Model 3? I had the impression you had the base model since you go on long driving trips.

The performance version. Range difference is minimal. Still have the turbo for the time being.  So far all my charging has been at home. I tried out the super chargers twice. Once when I drove to lake and just needed 30 miles for the round trip (320 mile round trip) and once for fun to see how it worked, again only about 30 miles.  Glad I did not buy an S or X for free supercharging.  It won’t happen that often.  Not the way these cars are used. 

Leawood911:

Oh I know the strengths and weaknesses. For a little shitty looking sedan it is a hoot though. 

It always comes back to the same conclusion - Tesla in general has a different customer base to Porsche. I admire Tesla just like I admire Nissan GT-R and Corvette, but I would never have one over a Porsche not matter how fast they are. I don’t get to use the 530hp of my AMG until I get out of London, so I’m not interested in just speed but rather overall enjoyment - and that’s something that Porsche has always delivered on. 

boytronic:
    Leawood911:

It always comes back to the same conclusion - Tesla in general has a different customer base to Porsche. I admire Tesla just like I admire Nissan GT-R and Corvette, but I would never have one over a Porsche not matter how fast they are. I don’t get to use the 530hp of my AMG until I get out of London, so I’m not interested in just speed but rather overall enjoyment - and that’s something that Porsche has always delivered on. 

And some rather think looking at the bland dash and poor fit and finish and and material while motoring in city traffic on autopilot is great enjoyment...............

--

Let’s face it Porsche have become arrogant and boosted their prices beyond reason. VW-gate anyone. And a Tesla can beat it in a straight line and braking for a fraction of the price. Around a track well 99.9999% prob doesn’t care. At the the traffic lights prob 60%. 
    my money is on Tesla and more bespoke cars. Hence my British pair and Tesla pair. Oh and I like bmws even if the dealer pissed me off. My Porsche’s will only be the GTs. The Tesla M3P is a fun little thing around traffic. Point and scoot. I’d take the M3P around Manhattan over anything else. 

--

Tesla Model S P100d. 2018 991.2 GT3. 2019 BMW M850i Convertible. 2020 Tesla Model 3 Performance. 2020 Aston Martin Vantage. 2020 Mclaren 720S coupe. 🥳

EnglishManInNY:

Let’s face it Porsche have become arrogant and boosted their prices beyond reason. VW-gate anyone. And a Tesla can beat it in a straight line and braking for a fraction of the price. Around a track well 99.9999% prob doesn’t care. At the the traffic lights prob 60%. 
    my money is on Tesla and more bespoke cars. Hence my British pair and Tesla pair. Oh and I like bmws even if the dealer pissed me off. My Porsche’s will only be the GTs. The Tesla M3P is a fun little thing around traffic. Point and scoot. I’d take the M3P around Manhattan over anything else. 

I agree...Porsche has become very expensive, up to a point where I cannot justify it (for me) anymore. Only exception would be the GT models (still expensive but at least they deliver a special and kind of unique experience).

My wife wants a 992 Turbo S Convertible, so maybe this is going to be my way back to Porsche but I am pretty sure it will be fast as hell but also...boring. We'll see... No more Cayenne for me, it has reached a price point where I find much cheaper and equally good things. Sorry Porsche.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

I do not really understand these discussions over the price of Porsche’s sure, they are too expensive. But so are also the bags of LV or the Rolex watches not to speak from the Pathek Philippe. So, if you find them too expensive buy something else and stop whining.

Back to Taycan. My Taycan Turbo is now scheduled for production 20 March. What I hear from my friends is that Porsche is only producing Taycan S at the moment, all the Turbo’s are pushed back to week 12/13. Strange since originally mine was scheduled for December production.

JR-550:

Back to Taycan. My Taycan Turbo is now scheduled for production 20 March. What I hear from my friends is that Porsche is only producing Taycan S at the moment, all the Turbo’s are pushed back to week 12/13. Strange since originally mine was scheduled for December production.

Hi ... this cannot be correct .. my "Turbo" (none S) is ready on 1st week of February ... means week 6 in 2020 Smiley

Cheers

Gregor

--

-----------------------------------

Regarding Porsche being too expensive, and that you and Englishman in New York will consider only GT models, I think it depends on your overall driving desires.  If you have MacLarens, Astons, Performance 3s, BMWs, Lambos, AMG Mercedes RRs, etc., in your garages, then you have invested a massive amount of capital in many cars to suit your tastes.  Then it's easy to conclude that an "ordinary 992 model" is too expensive or not thrilling enough.  If you take away most of those cars, and consider one or two cars as your best daily driver/sports performance car, then the 992 becomes far more justifiable.  Then other cars in the 130K range start to look expensive in comparison.  

The 911 range in its basic forms has always shot for that best all around sportscar/daily driver slot.  

Please understand that I am not criticizing your choices, but am suggesting a different perspective.  wink

Whoopsy:
    boytronic:
    Leawood911:

And some rather think looking at the bland dash and poor fit and finish and and material while motoring in city traffic on autopilot is great enjoyment...............

I like the clean dash. Matter of taste. A bit OCD so I love it. Fit and finish is superb on my car and auto steer and cruise control while the driver is also paying attention as instructed is perfectly fun and safe. Not to mention that it makes driving much easier and less stressful when in heavy traffic. I have no idea why you are so stuck on Tesla having shitty autonomous driving when everyone who owns one knows better and never has the company recommended not paying attention while using it or claimed it was fully autonomous.  You keep complaining about something that does not exist and when I point it out in my posts you act as though I am addressing a different topic. It’s all good. Just remember that we can’t fix stupid. Some people will always get instructions wrong and ignore warnings. Darwin says it’s so. 

--

For the much hyped Tesla efficiency, this video painted quite a different picture.

On paper the Model 3 won for the longest range. That would be the headline. 

But if one actually see the data instead, the Kia Niro EV is the real winner.

It managed 90% of it's claimed range, on a 64kW battery pack. 

Model 3 went another 15 miles, ~6%  farther to take the distance win but it also have a 17%, 11kW bigger battery, for a overall efficiency of only 78% of the claimed range, 3rd last, only the I-Pace and Mercedes did worse.

The Leaf went 87% of the claimed range. 

Audi e-Tron did 81%.

I-Pace only managed 76% 

Bring up the rear is the Mercedes at 75% only. 

Both the Nissan and Kia are also cheaper to boot. 

--

Whoopsy:

For the much hyped Tesla efficiency, this video painted quite a different picture.

Model 3 went another 15 miles, ~6%  farther to take the distance win but it also have a 17%, 11kW bigger battery, for a overall efficiency of only 78% of the claimed range, 3rd last, only the I-Pace and Mercedes did worse.

Audi e-Tron did 81%.

I-Pace only managed 76% 

And some of us are all about 0-60.  At the cost of electricity around here I will gladly give up range to run friggin circles around those range winners.  Lol. 
    the Porsche is curiously missing from this story. 

Leawood911:
    Whoopsy:

Audi e-Tron did 81%.

I-Pace only managed 76% 

And some of us are all about 0-60.  At the cost of electricity around here I will gladly give up range to run friggin circles around those range winners.  Lol. 
    the Porsche is curiously missing from this story. 

It’s a conspiracy...or perhaps a Porsche Taycan U.K. press car simply wasn’t available to the Car Wow team.  

Musk bought Maxwell batteries. Is it a game changer? Musk as anticipated thinks it is for battery world.

--

Having everything is nice, but it's even nicer to make sure everything you've got is actually worth having.

nberry:

Musk bought Maxwell batteries. Is it a game changer? Musk as anticipated thinks it is for battery world.

That's a preemptive move by him, so others can't have it.

The IBM battery breakthrough is the real game changer but that's not quite ready yet, and IBM isn't selling.

--

Maxwell is months old news. Super capacitor may be useful inline with charging and regen. Also for rapid power bursts to the motors.  They act like a buffer between the battery. 

Leawood, what color is your car?  Do you like the color?  Post a pic?

Thanks....

E327D4E3-E2C9-4C7E-9B3A-859F49C929A2.jpeg
    77404067-CF81-4EA3-B305-AE6ADA0ACC2F.jpegBlack. 

I like the color. First time I got to select a color for my car. I always buy used for myself in the past and of the shelf leases don’t count. 
    I had ordered a performance version originally without even driving a model 3. As I grew impatient waiting I got to test drive a white dual motor model 3. In a rush I decided to lease that car and took it. After a couple days I realized that the lease would not work. I drove it too much. Way more than needed - just for fun as well. So I wanted to buy the car. Tesla would not allow that and said I had to return the car and place a new order. Given their seven day and 1000 mile return policy I did that after six days and 850 miles. No questions asked they refunded all the money and took my next order. The one catch is that if you return a car you must order a different spec or wait 12 months. Since I wanted the performance version of originally changing models was no issue.  While I had to wait a couple more weeks I still got it in time for the tax rebate and as a 2020 model with the cool black 20” wheels. My original order would have been filled with a 2019.  The price did go up $1000 and the paint was $250 more than originally but the wheels were worth it. 
    The return policy is amazing. I wonder how many people use it?  In my case it does not count since I moved up and got one anyway. I returned it because I liked it too much to lease. 

Thanks, the car looks super cool.

Snap!

95A3EC2E-8B1B-432F-967E-FC93F6B6C480.jpeg

--

I know. Right. I currently have a set of 18” wheels and vredestein(so) snow and ice tires. Unflappably awesome combo. 
    I own a condo in Oregon so it’s registered there - for my European friends that means no sales tax. $57k out the door. 

JR-550:

I do not really understand these discussions over the price of Porsche’s sure, they are too expensive. But so are also the bags of LV or the Rolex watches not to speak from the Pathek Philippe. So, if you find them too expensive buy something else and stop whining.

Because I remember paying slightly over 100k for my first Cayenne Turbo? New. The next (almost fully loaded) Cayenne Turbo S was already close to 140k. Nowadays you can easily lift a Cayenne Turbo S over the 200k mark.

For me, Porsche is not Ferrari, Lamborghini or even Aston Martin. Remember? Porsche built Diesel trucks with 250 hp engines not a very long time ago. Smiley They also offer 4-cyl turbos in the Boxster for 100k a pop. Sorry but if this isn't the definition of expensive, I don't know.

Rolex, Patek...for the MSRP, they are good products. LV bags as well. Porsche is overpriced, sorry. With the exception of very few cars.

--

Just to have a bit of fun with this, RC, the base price of my 2001 911 Turbo was $110,000.  The base price of a 992 Carrera S, which is faster and better in every way, is $113,000. wink

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689138 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408981 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255660 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234903 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65479 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4642 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857821 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773792 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM