Crown

Board: Porsche - Taycan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Tesla Roadster

There are very few places in the world and within them even fewer people that have the space, time and legal allowance to do TEN 100-225km/h full throttle runs in a row. 

I mean outside of a stress test why would you do that? And stress tests are designed to break the thing being tested. 

Even in real world driving, in a place where you would be allowed to, that's an odd traffic spacing. I mean run at 225km/h, hit a left lane bandit going 100km/h, have them move over, full throttle acceleration and then BAM, hit another. NINE time in a ROW!!! How bad is your luck?!?

Besides, I lose my license at 150km/h, lose the car for seven days and it costs me around $10,000. It's never going to overheat with any north american highway driving. Or almost any other legal highway driving anywhere in the world. 

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

I did a similar test with my P100D (speeding from Munich to Ulm) and after about 50km of full attack power was reduced and "kick down" did not have any effect. In this state I was still able to cruise at 200 km/h and after about 10min the battery pack was cool enough to continue. 
    I don't think that all of this is relevant information. Most of the time it's impossible to drive really fast in Germany due to traffic, speed limits, construction zones, hanging on the phone or listening to a podcast - not to mention that you'd end up in jail in other countries. My take is, that if you want to hammer a car, take it to a track. It's more fun and way more safe. For most of the other usecases a big battery on wheels is just perfect.

- My 2ct, Rick

It is entraining to read all these arguments and counter arguments in favor / against Tesla  about range , speed , interior finish , looks  etc.... 

But they are pointless . What counts at the end is which car is selling and which is not , as this shows exactly  what people are happy with and what they want . 

For the moment , it is still Tesla that sells and with a huge margin . The others for the moment  are just there to make the show . Just look at all the members on this forum who own EV's . They all own Tesla's except for one rebel  . 

The general public is more then  happy with the range , speed, finish of a Tesla . They do not ask for more . Why would they ever do a launch control ? Why would they ever care if the car does 10 km more or less ? Why would they care about what happens after 150 km/h ?  Absolutely no need for it in the whole world  , except for a few  non representative Germans . 

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm -- 991.2 GT3 RS 

Me? 

Rebel?

Never!

--

I have not run into any issues running my car in terms overheating. I’ll hurt my back first. In fact I think I have.  Top speed is 165 mph and the 2.9 to 60 is useable all the time - in front of cops , on ice , in the rain. It’s just fun. You have to drive one and then you will instantly understand. Unless you are crazy rich. In which case the Porsche gives you the same thrills and better finish. More power and handling would be expected. But it is marginal. Way too close for me. 
    Here is what you have to remember. I’m a 56 year old software developer with his last daughter in grad school and a fairly modest income along with impending retirement.  Over the years I have owned Porsches, only used, as daily drivers since age 15. One 914 and the rest 911s (8). The turbo is a natural extension of my brain at this point. But I have always been financially responsible managing an expensive hobby and genuine enthusiasm for driving DRIVING.  I don’t care about much other than how it drives.  Given that the 911 is my measuring stick I will let all of you decide how valid my opinion is. My budget is real world. This car stuff never costs me more than $500 a month.  First grandchild on the way on 2/29.  
    There is a snow storm today and the next few days - so excited to go driving. Might go to Colorado. 

GO. KC. CHIEFS!!!!!

the home team is going to Miami!!  See ya at the Super Bowl 

Whoopsy:
    lukestern:
    RC:

https://www.latimes.com/business/autos/story/2020-01-17/tesla-unintended-acceleration-claims-nhtsa-review

That NHTSA Tesla “Sudden Unintended Acceleration” Petition? Created By A TSLA Short Seller Who Doesn’t Own A Tesla

https://cleantechnica.com/2020/01/19/that-nhtsa-tesla-sudden-unintended-acceleration-petition-created-by-a-tsla-short-seller-who...

It's more like a sudden unwillingness to decelerate...............

I don't think Tesla has a sudden unintended acceleration problem like those Toyotas did before. 

It's more of a problem of those owner' over reliance on a cruise control system, with a deceptive name that suggested it's automated. It's not. The system can only do so much and needs supervision which those said owners do not apply. 

Nice to see you making a post in defense of Tesla and against some of their products owners no less!

Now I have to go and re-calibrate my view of the universe again. It was overdue anyway.Smiley

Back to the Chiefs going to the Super Bowl!  

Gladstone:
    Whoopsy:
    lukestern:
    RC:

https://www.latimes.com/business/autos/story/2020-01-17/tesla-unintended-acceleration-claims-nhtsa-review

That NHTSA Tesla “Sudden Unintended Acceleration” Petition? Created By A TSLA Short Seller Who Doesn’t Own A Tesla

https://cleantechnica.com/2020/01/19/that-nhtsa-tesla-sudden-unintended-acceleration-petition-created-by-a-tsla-short-seller-who...

I don't think Tesla has a sudden unintended acceleration problem like those Toyotas did before. 

It's more of a problem of those owner' over reliance on a cruise control system, with a deceptive name that suggested it's automated. It's not. The system can only do so much and needs supervision which those said owners do not apply. 

Nice to see you making a post in defense of Tesla and against some of their products owners no less!

Now I have to go and re-calibrate my view of the universe again. It was overdue anyway.Smiley

Cause I just say things as they are. 

I don't blindly trash something. If it's wrong I say it, if it's right I say it too.

Elon named it Autopilot on purpose to mislead and he knows it too, cause advanced auto pilot sounds so plain and ordinary.

--

Leawood911:

9ers for me. 

9ers for life Smiley

--

Whoopsy:

Me? 

Rebel?

Never!

SmileySmiley

--

Christian von Koenigsegg owns a Tesla Model 3 as his private car: "It's the best contemporary normal daily driver around" as been quoted from a car mag that Jason mention in his long term review (video posted below)

I can just agree with Christian. My Model 3 Performance is great as a daily and weighting in price, fun factor, practicality and performance it's an excellent car. It's not perfect, but the pros outweigh the cons by a huge margin. I can't see any other car that I would like to change it for in the same price bracket that would give the same amount of smiles per mile Smiley

schmoell:

I did a similar test with my P100D (speeding from Munich to Ulm) and after about 50km of full attack power was reduced and "kick down" did not have any effect. In this state I was still able to cruise at 200 km/h and after about 10min the battery pack was cool enough to continue. 
    I don't think that all of this is relevant information. Most of the time it's impossible to drive really fast in Germany due to traffic, speed limits, construction zones, hanging on the phone or listening to a podcast - not to mention that you'd end up in jail in other countries. My take is, that if you want to hammer a car, take it to a track. It's more fun and way more safe. For most of the other usecases a big battery on wheels is just perfect.

- My 2ct, Rick

Yesterday I hit 270 kph (limited by winter tires) in my Performante a couple of times, no problem. On the A8. Smiley 

I love to drive my car(s) everywhere and while I understand why track driving is fun, it is not an option (anymore) for me because of limited time and...why should I lie...cost.

Right now, I am tremendously enjoying my GLC 63S AMG on the Autobahn and as a daily driver but the range is much worse than on the Performante (both consume almost the same amount of fuel when driven full throttle but the Performante has 20 l more fuel tank capacity, thus a longer range...aprox. 300 km when driven full throttle, up to 600 kph when driven in auto mode and not faster than 160 kph, very impressive for such a car). 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

Gnil:

It is entraining to read all these arguments and counter arguments in favor / against Tesla  about range , speed , interior finish , looks  etc.... 

But they are pointless . What counts at the end is which car is selling and which is not , as this shows exactly  what people are happy with and what they want . 

For the moment , it is still Tesla that sells and with a huge margin . The others for the moment  are just there to make the show . Just look at all the members on this forum who own EV's . They all own Tesla's except for one rebel  . 

The general public is more then  happy with the range , speed, finish of a Tesla . They do not ask for more . Why would they ever do a launch control ? Why would they ever care if the car does 10 km more or less ? Why would they care about what happens after 150 km/h ?  Absolutely no need for it in the whole world  , except for a few  non representative Germans

Thank you, you made my day. Smiley Smiley Biggest compliment ever, seriously. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

Whoopsy:
    Leawood911:

9ers for me. 

9ers for life Smiley

It will be an amazing game!  Friendly side bet - ?

RC:

Glad I could contribute Smiley Don't think many on this board are representative of the general public Smiley

--

Gnil:
    RC:

Glad I could contribute Smiley Don't think many on this board are representative of the general public Smiley

True, this is why I love this forum, many different intelligent individualists, it never gets boring. Smiley Smiley 

--

Senator asks Tesla to rebrand its Autopilot feature because it can confuse drivers

William Feuer

Published Fri, Jan 24 202012:16 PM ESTUpdated Moments Ago

Sen. Edward Markey, D-Mass., wants Teslato rebrand and add safeguards to its cars’ Autopilot feature.

Markey, a member of the Commerce, Science and Transportation Committee, released his recommendations to the company on Friday after his review of the feature.

“Autopilot is a flawed system, but I believe its dangers can be overcome,” he said in a statement. “I have been proud to work with Tesla on advancing cleaner, more sustainable transportation technologies. But these achievements should not come at the expense of safety. That’s why I’m calling on Tesla to use its resources and expertise to better protect drivers, passengers, pedestrians and all other users of the road.”

Markey said his two recommendations come after media reports that show Tesla drivers abusing the Autopilot system. The first recommendation is a rebranding of the Autopilot feature to clarify that it is not fully autonomous, meaning the driver has to remain in control of the vehicle while Autopilot is turned on. Second, Markey wants Tesla to build more safeguards into the feature that prevents users from working around the system.

Tesla representatives were not immediately available for comment.

Autopilot enables Tesla vehicles to steer, accelerate and brake automatically within their lanes, and move into different lanes. According to Tesla’s website, “Current Autopilot features require active driver supervision and do not make the vehicle autonomous.”

However, those terms haven’t stopped users from a mistaken overreliance on, or deliberate abuse of, the Autopilot system.

Markey criticized Tesla’s Autopilot featureat a Commerce Committee hearing on self-driving vehicles in November. He demanded then to know what the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) was doing to compel Tesla to stop Autopilot “cheats,” referring to individuals who work around the safety features already in Tesla cars.

“In your inadequate and unconcerned June 2018 response, Tesla failed to recognize the potential harm your Autopilot system could cause,” Markey wrote after the hearing to Tesla CEO Elon Musk, referencing an earlier letter he had written expressing concern about the feature.

Tesla’s senior director of government relations, Alexandra Veitch, responded in December to Markey’s criticism and requests for more information on Autopilot.

“Tesla fully shares your commitment to increase occupant safety and to reduce fatalities on U.S. roads,” she wrote in a letter. “We also share your belief in developing active safety features that promote responsible driving habits.”

— CNBC’s Lora Kolodny contributed to this report

Can’t pass enough legislation to make them read the bills they pass what makes them think they make consumers follow instructions and warnings.  Hilarious. As always I ask what is the alternative to this horrible situation ? A name change?  So it must not be too bad. Chances are you could call it anything and consumers would abuse it. 
    It is still better than anything else out there presently. Hands down. 

just call it "advanced cruise control plus" and add another grand to the price. Job done.

Whoopsy:
    Gladstone:
    Whoopsy:
    lukestern:
    RC:

I don't blindly trash something. If it's wrong I say it, if it's right I say it too.

Elon named it Autopilot on purpose to mislead and he knows it too, cause advanced auto pilot sounds so plain and ordinary.

I have always found your posts interesting from V12 engines to LED light bulbs and consider you quite fair and open minded, which was why I found it humorous that you seemed to be on a consistent negative tone for Tesla posts and then broke that trend (albeit with a bit of a back handed compliment). Just attempted a bit of humor over the change up, but apparently my message was unclear. Sorry about that Smiley

Allegedly really smart man believes Tesla’s Autopilot is an autonomous driving system.

Andrew Yang uses Tesla's Autopilot feature in a new ad — and he breaks the same rule Elon Musk has on TV

Mark Matousek

12 minutes ago

• Democratic presidential candidate Andrew Yang uses Autopilot, Tesla's semi-autonomous driver-assistance feature, in a new ad.
    • Yang uses Autopilot with his hands off the steering wheel in the ad. Tesla instructs Autopilot users to always keep their hands on the wheel, even when Autopilot is in use.
    • Tesla has been criticized for using language like "full self-driving" to describe Autopilot's capabilities, but the electric-car maker argues that the feature helps to keep people safe.

Democratic presidential candidate Andrew Yang drives a Tesla Model X SUV and uses the electric-car maker's Autopilot and Smart Summon driver-assistance features in a campaign ad.

The ad, which was uploaded to YouTube on January 24, focuses on the political impact of job losses caused by automation. Autopilot can control steering, braking, and acceleration in some environments, but requires driver supervision. Smart Summon can drive a vehicle to its owner, who tells the vehicle when to start and stop with Tesla's mobile app, in a parking lot.

The ad shows Yang using Autopilot with his hands off the steering wheel (though he does keep his eyes on the road). In its Model X owner's manual, Tesla says Autopilot users "must keep [their] hands on the steering wheel at all times."

Yang's campaign did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Autopilot has attracted controversy for its role in a handful of high-profile — and sometimes fatal — crashes. Tesla has said the drivers involved in the some of the crashes were not using the feature correctly, but some experts have said it's difficult for the human brain to remain attentive when a computer has some control over driving tasks.

Tesla has also received criticism for how it markets Autopilot, as it uses the phrase "full self-driving" to describe  capabilities that cannot be used in all environments and require that the driver be ready to take control at all times. Like Yang, Tesla CEO Elon Musk has also been filmed using Autopilot with his hands off the wheel.

Tesla has argued that, overall, Autopilot makes drivers safer, pointing to data that shows a lower rate of crashes in Tesla vehicles using Autopilot than in all vehicles in the US. But that data doesn't account for the fact that Autopilot is designed for use only during highway driving, something that by itself could result in fewer accidents.

Tesla's argument was supported by a 2019 Bloomberg survey of 5,000 Model 3 sedan owners, in which over 90% of respondents said they believed Autopilot made them safer.

Musk said last year that he supports Yang's candidacy.

Are you a current or former Tesla employee? Do you have an opinion about what it's like to work there? Contact this reporter at mmatousek@businessinsider.com. You can also reach out on Signal at 646-768-4712 or email this reporter's encrypted address at mmatousek@protonmail.com.

I can always tell who has not actually driven a a model 3 and lived with it.  They live in fear of what they do not understand and assume all problems can be solved with proper labels and warnings.  

coincidentally.  
    don’t get me started on the intelligence of the dem candidates or their voters. 

Leawood911:

I can always tell who has not actually driven a a model 3 and lived with it.  They live in fear of what they do not understand . 

They might also wait and rather test drive the Taycan Smiley

Gladstone:
    Whoopsy:
    Gladstone:
    Whoopsy:
    lukestern:
    RC:

I have always found your posts interesting from V12 engines to LED light bulbs and consider you quite fair and open minded, which was why I found it humorous that you seemed to be on a consistent negative tone for Tesla posts and then broke that trend (albeit with a bit of a back handed compliment). Just attempted a bit of humor over the change up, but apparently my message was unclear. Sorry about that Smiley

Tesla cars, by themselves, are fine and good enough for what they are. Just like for someone a Camry is good enough, for another a minivan is good enough and some other a Corolla is good enough.

I only have a problem with Elon overhyping them to become something that they are not. Then all of a sudden the owners turned defensive and begin a uncalled for offence based on trivial matters. Weird crowd if you ask me. Not even the most diehard Porsche fans act that way. Or Ferrari fans etc for that matters.

The Tesla people didn't help by being obnoxiously annoying about raving their cars' this and that, especially that misleading 'Autopilot' feature and Over-the-Air updates. That later part is only as good as the hardware the software is running on, and hardware expires very quickly in the tech world. 

I do applaud Tesla cars of having the longest range in the business, it shows the risk/reward curve that Elon follows is rewarding to his wallet. People seems to love the long range even when 95% of their customers will never get close to using that range daily. 

Other manufacturers come into the EV segment with different offerings that caters to different needs, which is suppose to be great news as that provide choices for consumers, yet all we hear is negatives from the Tesla side that this car sucks, that car sucks, a Tesla is better at this or better at that. Gets really old quickly.

--

That phenomenon you have highlighted amongst Tesla owners is called insecurity in other circles. 

I do not have any knowledge of Tesla owners as a group denigrating other EV brands. No doubt there are a few. No different than those on this blog. 

I believe the Taycan is the best EV on the market today but it comes at a high price. The evolution and development of EV in the next several years will make present EV’s technology almost horse and buggy. To spend an exorbitant amount on a EV today is foolish. Therefore from a value standpoint, the Tesla 3 is the car to buy.

--

Having everything is nice, but it's even nicer to make sure everything you've got is actually worth having.

nberry:

I do not have any knowledge of Tesla owners as a group denigrating other EV brands. No doubt there are a few. No different than those on this blog. 

I believe the Taycan is the best EV on the market today but it comes at a high price. The evolution and development of EV in the next several years will make present EV’s technology almost horse and buggy. To spend an exorbitant amount on a EV today is foolish. Therefore from a value standpoint, the Tesla 3 is the car to buy.

Or alternatively just wait until the Taycan is half price... Won’t be long given the speed at which battery tech will improve. In the meantime drive a Performante - until Greta calls for them to be banned ;)

boytronic:
    nberry:

Or alternatively just wait until the Taycan is half price... Won’t be long given the speed at which battery tech will improve. In the meantime drive a Performante - until Greta calls for them to be banned ;)

Now that's the spirit... Smiley Smiley Smiley

--

nberry:

Start here: https://electrek.co/. Read the articles and pay particular attention to the comments.   While there is a selection bias with using only a website, support for the previous posting becomes evident.  

nberry:

If one only talks about value for a electric transportation device then I think the Kia beat out Tesla as I think they have the cheapest EV on market right now. The Kia has like 90% of the range of a Model 3 at a fraction of the price.

Since most EV does their charging at home, there is no difference in charging network as it's just the plug at home and at work that does the charging.

No different than why would people buy a Rolls Royce over a Camry. The more expensive price tag is more of a status symbol and for buying the experience, night and day different in fit and finish and material usage. 

To some, a automobile is just a transportation device, be it normal car or hybrid or EV, for others it's more than that and hence they buy different cars. 

Of course EV cars are still in their infancy, technology is bound to advance very quickly, so even buying a Tesla, or any EV right now is a foolish thing. 

All I know is, in 50 years, no one would want a 2019 e-Tron, 2019 Tesla, or a 2019 Taycan, but they would still want a 2019 911. Well maybe a 1989 911.

All these high tech electrical stuff inside modern cars are just disposable stuff. They have an expiration date.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690774 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410024 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256130 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235368 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65732 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858695 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774923 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM