Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 992 GT3 Touring...

992 turbo and GT3 launches def don’t seem to be following the pattern set by the 991

--

Tesla Model S P100d. 2018 991.2 GT3. 2019 BMW M850i Convertible. 2020 Tesla Model 3 Performance. 2020 Aston Martin Vantage. 2020 Mclaren 720S coupe. 🥳

That render is all wrong also...

--

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 991.2 GT3 Manual, 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia QV, 2017 Macan S (Petrol)

macca993:

That render is all wrong also...

indecision

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual, 991 GT3 2014(sold)

Cayenne GTS 2014

A few comments on the 992 GT3 and GT3 RS from Michael Mauer at the start of the design process... Smiley

Michael Mauer, Head of Design at Porsche

8D5863EC-51F6-492B-A522-83298ADEBBF9.jpeg

Most Porsche love affairs start with an awesome drive. This one, with a pencil and a piece of paper. Ever since Michael Mauer was a young boy, he knew he wanted to draw cars. Well, Porsches really.

Which he eventually managed. And more. After his car design studies in Pforzheim, Mauer immediately secured a job at Mercedes. He contributed to several models – including the A-Class and SLK – became head of design at Smart and then moved to Saab in Sweden. Things could not get any better after he was hired as Porsche’s design director in 2004. Except they did. In 2016, Michael was promoted to lead the design activities of the entire VW group, alongside his task at Porsche.

The job would be too vast for one man. But not for Mauer. He’s as charming as the loveliest Smart, as dedicated as the weirdest Saab, as comforting as the biggest Mercedes, yet as focused as the wildest Porsche RS.

‘Being a car designer is the world’s nicest profession for car nuts like us. Working at Porsche is even better. But designing a 911 RS? That’s the ultimate level of excitement. It’s the one assignment my entire team fights for. I never have to ask them for proposals for an RS. The guys in the studio spontaneously do it. That’s one reason why we don’t employ special designers for RS models. It would be too demotivating for all others.’

Mauer proudly shows the current 991 GT3 RS in the Kesselhaus in Munich’s Motorworld. Once an industrial boiler room, it is now a concert hall and fancy gathering place. And an inspiration, apparently.

‘Everything is for a creative mind. I just love how such old buildings come back to life by combining new and vintage elements. It’s fascinating to decide what’s worth keeping and what needs to be rebuilt.’ Like with the design of a new 911, almost.

‘Porsche’s design philosophy is clearly based on the past, and our approach is more evolutionary compared to other carmakers. Our history is even more important for hard-core models like GT3 and GT3 RS. During the design process, we always park all previous RS models in the studio, although we absolutely want to avoid ending up with a sort of replica.

We already finished the design of the Porsche 992 – the successor to the current 991 – and just started on the 992 GT3 and GT3 RS. It’s a bit early to say, but we might stretch their look a little further than usual. While defining the base 911, we already have the sporty spin-offs in mind. If we change the proportions of the 911 – as has happened with the 991 – we immediately take into account that the Turbo will be even wider. Knowing that the GT3 and GT3 RS will probably use the side panels of the Turbo, we also leave enough space for added wings, front and back. Sometimes, we have a very exciting idea for a bumper, but judge it as too much for the base model. We then let it digest for a while, and after a few months consider it again for the Turbo or the RS.’

Because each RS is highly influenced by engineering, the design process is quite different compared to a “normal” Porsche, if such an animal exists in the first place.

‘Everybody in this industry loves to talk about “agile teams” and “agile development”. But the way our design team and Andreas Preuninger’s racing division collaborate for an RS really creates a special momentum. His squad doesn’t do anything according to official processes. They just test on the track, where the driver gives direct feedback to the engineer, who straight-away talks to the designer. Because these procedures differ totally from how a regular production car comes together, the designers are over the moon with excitement and utterly motivated to find the best result.’

What could be a clash of egos turns out to be an alliance with nothing but winners. ‘For the limited edition of the 997 4.0 RS with 500bhp, Porsche immediately understood it needed extra downforce. The bigger rear wing and the small front deflectors wouldn’t be a designer’s natural solution. But I like it a lot that such projects show a certain roughness around the edges, which wouldn’t be accepted on any other 911. And then it turns out they have an aesthetic value of their own.’

Today’s GT3 RS is asphalt grey with yellow calipers, Mauer’s absolute favourite combination.

‘It’s so tasteful, if only because the contrast with the black parts isn’t as outspoken. Looking at how the front spoiler moves into the fender on this latest RS, there’s a disconnection with a little offset because the fenders are wider. No designer would ever start like this. But it happened for reasons of efficiency, and it gives the car a nice touch of brutality. The extra opening above the front wheels for additional downforce would never be proposed by our studio from the beginning, either. However, by collaborating and searching for a solution which works well for design and engineering, we come much closer to the old axiom of “form follows function”.’

Mauer is a designer. He obviously prefers simplicity. ‘I’m very much into pure and reduced shapes. While we more or less managed to integrate the rear spoiler into the design on a GT3, that’s a no-go for an RS. These are totally driven by ultimate track performance. It’s nice that the rear wing on a GT3 is quite organic as a shape, but I love the race aesthetics of the wing on the 997 GT3 4.0 RS. It’s less stylish and more functional.’

And then there’s the 911 R, the apple of Mauer’s eye. ‘When I bought a GT3 for myself, I had a coffee with Andreas Preuninger from the special division and told him I dreamt of making a sort of “sleeper”, by removing all the spoilers and added aerodynamics from a GT3. The end result would seem to be a normal 911, while it’s anything but. It’s kind of cool when nobody sees how exceptional it is, apart from a few experts who can spot the different exhausts or whatever. Andreas had already been chewing on such a concept ... the idea had touched a sweet spot. Considering they were dreaming of reviving the R in one way or another, while our design department produces free proposals yearly – like a GT3 convertible and a spoiler-less GT3 – a common brainstorm eventually led to the R.’

Mauer is very happy with it. Yet, at the same time, he’s not. ‘Sadly, I couldn’t get hold of one, whereas it’s absolutely my kind of car. If you take away the stripes, 90 percent of onlookers will not recognise it. The R also has a manual gearbox, which I prefer on public roads. On a track, I’d rather have the PDK, though. I’m not a world champion-type driver, and the PDK just makes me feel better about the level of my skills.’

Since Mauer has the world’s best job, he’s parked a few Porsches in his private garage.

‘I bought a 997 GT3 because it was the first Porsche designed under my responsibility. When I joined the company, the base model, convertible and turbo versions of the 997 had been done, and we initiated the work on the GT3 and GT3 RS. To me, the division between GT3 and GT3 RS makes a lot of sense. The differentiation is quite big, which creates a nice offer for our customers. It’s clear what each of them stands for. I prefer the GT3 on public roads, but I clearly fancy the GT3 RS on the track. If we’re not talking about track performance, the 997 GT3 is my pick, if only because it’s smaller. Which obviously was our aim for the 992. Not saying it will actually be more compact, but it will certainly seem less big.’

Because no man of good taste can ever own enough 911s, Mauer also enjoys himself after working hours with a very special one.

‘I’m building a 964 convertible with an RS flavour, slightly commemorating the idea of the first Speedster. It’s a 911 that has never existed. It’s totally understated and a bit rough, just like an outlaw.’ It’ll be his Sunday morning partner.

‘I love old cars. They feel fast at reasonable speeds. I bought a 1984 G-model but quickly realised it was too old for me. The 964 offers the perfect compromise. It’s modern yet looks like the old one. It’s my favourite design.’

Mauer is as friendly as a boy scout, but his humour can be a little rough around the edges. It might well be his refined way of saying things, if the bare truth hurts too much. After all, he’s the world’s most important car designer, since he has so many brands under his responsibility.

‘I don’t feel like that at all, however, and my task differs considerably from what my predecessor, Walter de’ Silva, had to do. While he influenced each individual car of the entire group, my job is more strategic. Our CEO, Matthias Müller, leads this concern in another way and gives a lot of confidence to the management of each brand. I apply the same strategy for design. I just overlook it, search for synergies and coordinate everything. And I interfere – or help – if one brand doesn’t evolve in the right direction.

I also provide the design philosophy we established at Porsche, since it’s so highly valued by our management.

Every six weeks, all our brands propose their novelties at big design reviews. Although they might have to go back and change the design if I don’t like it, I still see my job mostly as assisting my colleagues, and supporting them against the finance or marketing departments. I also communicate constantly. In a creative business, it helps a lot if you talk to each other. So I organise days for the design chiefs, just to discuss whatever what in a relaxed atmosphere. I don’t believe so much in harsh competition. I prefer to inspire.’

...thanks and all due credit to Michael Mauer at Porsche! Smiley

Interesting article. Thanks for the post. The evolutionary concept in styling may be running out of steam. At some point the styling needs to transition to a more modern visual. 

--

Having everything is nice, but it's even nicer to make sure everything you've got is actually worth having.

Porsche 992 GT3 road testing in January 2020... Smiley

Link: https://www.autogespot.com/porsche-992-gt3/2020/01/18

Smiley

This has been making the rounds as possibly being the 992 GT3.  From the Porsche super bowl ad.  I like the wheels, not sure what’s going on with the wing...

DC3B9C94-23D9-4BCB-94B6-9B80BDBE479B.jpeg

New Porsche 992 GT3...  1554541446878image.gif

FAA5E2A5-D60E-432A-B5AF-11AE46FA1A74.jpeg

50BA102F-C8FB-4C63-AC53-7DEB22FF5C53.jpeg

6737C568-6535-4449-ADEE-2AB4C017D6DA.jpeg

D51119CB-65A1-4591-AC06-CE484C4C5881.jpeg

BB4E3DCC-3144-4026-B307-451718D3D699.jpeg

7AE0D2CA-8971-4FAC-8122-A27D4646A5CD.jpeg

BAFC33DE-C761-4108-B4DF-3181E0C478AC.jpeg

D0AA10DD-CCF1-4C59-94C8-E43F7B977173.jpeg

D198EA3A-1329-4893-89EC-7BCA4A2ED184.jpeg

946D6EE0-3093-47D6-9BF8-FCC0FD4FDAA4.jpeg

...coming soon! Smiley

Curious if swan neck fixed wing or moving wing for active aero?  I like the Blue - hope it’s not $15k PTS but a standard color...

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Thats it!

Active front splitter like Giulia QV? 

We mst be getting close now surely...this was obviously deliberate...

The wheels look like forged alloy raw? That would be interesting. Im sure sick of repainting my black 991.2 ones after track and back road miles from stone chips (I love the look of them they are the best yet but they are like suction fans!).

Interesting blue. Looks Mexico to me but I think it may be a metallic hue. Hard to see. Shame its not a 4K video...

--

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Grant:

Curious if swan neck fixed wing or moving wing for active aero?  I like the Blue - hope it’s not $15k PTS but a standard color...

70978C48-7FA0-41A3-A19A-4B5AA25C9BAA.jpeg

F4342B7F-415A-47CC-8A06-C177D2C426BE.jpeg

...looks like that 992 GT3 has a swan neck rear spoiler with a duck-tail... Smiley 

F3589204-26BF-4705-A904-8B7971337EEE.jpeg

...inspired by the 2019 Porsche 911 RSR... Smiley

...note the reflections on the under-side of the rear wing when viewed from below... Smiley

...inspiration? Smiley

Grant:

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Looks like Sapphire Blue - the ‘free’ colour that nobody wanted on the 991 GT3... ;)

It seems that the Porsche 992 GT3 rear spoiler design could look rather similar to... Smiley

17C0E78B-D7ED-4054-97BE-4938B52A28F5.jpeg

...the GT4 Clubsport MR... Smiley

How about this for a photoshop of the 992 GT3 Touring with Ducktail rear spoiler... Smiley

75152B3F-B71B-4CD3-BB3D-0DFA81B39789.jpeg

...with credit and thanks to JSragman! Smiley

Its a great render. 

Unfortunately wuth the eletric rear wing I cannot see there being any duck tail like on the fixed wing version (it will disturb airflow).

A shame as it looks great.

Everything else about the render looks good but I think the 991 body shell has been used as the base as the front fenders are not falred enough....good effort tho.

--

Ducktail on touring is no no. 
    touring will have the flat movable wing. 

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual, 991 GT3 2014(sold)

Cayenne GTS 2014

Did anybody ever consider the 992 GT3 could have some form of evolution of the engine that's now used in the Spyder and GT4?

It is already a 992. architecture engine, less turbo's. That, plus some form of hybrid maybe? Pure speculation on my end,  but Porsche officials have said hat we will see this new age engine platform in broader use in the future.

apollo225:

Did anybody ever consider the 992 GT3 could have some form of evolution of the engine that's now used in the Spyder and GT4?

It is already a 992. architecture engine, less turbo's. That, plus some form of hybrid maybe? Pure speculation on my end,  but Porsche officials have said hat we will see this new age engine platform in broader use in the future.

Andreas Preuninger has indicated that the Porsche Motorsport derived engine in the 991 Speedster will be the basis of the engine in the 992 GT3 models... Smiley

Porsche's new exhaust has saved the 9,000rpm flat-six

(10 May 2019)

Porsche launched the 911 Speedster this week, effectively a swansong for the old-gen 911 and with the 991.2 GT3’s howling 4.0-litre flat-six sitting pride of place in its rump.

It’s a stupendous engine, revving to 9,000rpm and making one of the very greatest noises on earth as it does so. As a reminder that naturally aspirated engines are often more fun than turbos, it’s as stark as they come.

Happily, Andreas Preuninger – head of Porsche’s GT-badged cars – all but confirmed this isn’t the engine’s swansong, with much of the thanks going to a clever new exhaust system. It incorporates a particulate filter, to lower the car’s emissions, but thanks to the fastidiousness of Porsche’s engineers it’s somehow gained 10bhp and lost 10kg, too.

“This is what happens when you push very good engineers to the limit,” Preuninger tells us. “It has very thin steel sheet soldering which is super light, and losing 10 kilos at the back end of the car – down low – is something you really feel.

“You don’t lose a lot of sound either. This car is a little more well behaved, but it has a more cultured sound, which is okay for a Speedster. It fits the times were living in at the moment a little better.

“The valving in the exhaust is electrically controlled, so it’s continuously moving. We are the only ones with an electric system that can take the heat of an exhaust. If you control the flaps mechanically the sports exhaust is either on or off.”

So, the soundtrack is still pretty exceptional, and friendlier emissions effectively futureproof this engine, too. So surely the next GT3 models can duck out of turbocharging, too.

“We have saved this beautiful creature for the future,” says Preuninger, who wouldn’t be drawn on where we’ll actually see the 4.0-litre flat-six next. “We are trying to keep the flame alive as long as possible. We think the high-revving naturally aspirated engine is an amazing thing that needs saving.”

We couldn’t agree more...

Link: https://www.topgear.com/car-news/supercars/porsches-new-exhaust-has-saved-9000rpm-flat-six

Porsche 911 Speedster: Road Review

Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_hKGYD8gOg

...while the GT4 4.0 engine is already being used by the Boxster GTS 4.0 and Cayman GTS 4.0 and could also appear in a future 992 Carerra GTS 4.0 for example... Smiley

apollo225:

That 4.0 engine in the GT4 is more basic , with simpler materials  and much cheaper then the one used in the GT3 .

The GT3 engine is pure mortorsport derived directly from the race cars . The GT4 engine is the derived from the road cars . 

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm -- 991.2 GT3 RS 

Sorry for the OT,  but Gnil: any updates on the faulty 997 PDK box?

--

997.2 4S / BMW 745e / Donkervoort GT 

spudgun:

Sorry for the OT,  but Gnil: any updates on the faulty 997 PDK box?

It has been replaced by a refurbished box from ZF . All is now good and working as before .

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm -- 991.2 GT3 RS 

I anticipate that the NA GT4/Spyder 4.0L will appear in a 992 Carrera T

Read somewhere that this engine in the 992 is not so easy fit: gearbox has to be turned around amongst other things. But with Porsche, one never knows.

--

1992 964 Carrera 2 - 2016 Macan S Diesel - 2018 Mini JCW

Mikla:

Read somewhere that this engine in the 992 is not so easy fit: gearbox has to be turned around amongst other things. But with Porsche, one never knows.

Actually, 420 ps 4.0L from GT4 would work great with GT3 Manual gearbox and 8,000 rpm redline and lower Vmax than GT3.  11% lower top speed in each gear (and maybe 185mph in 6th)...

Also, could work with shortened 7spd manual from 991 911T

--

the-missile:

Agreed, also not a fan of the ducktail, can't help it. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

RC:
    the-missile:

Agreed, also not a fan of the ducktail, can't help it. 

Personally, I would spec the GT3 Touring with a ducktail spoiler every time! Smiley

I doubt that. Why should Porsche put the 4.0l into a "T", when the "T" is "only" a bit of a "parts bin exercise" - though, a very interesting one... Smiley

Having said this I have to admit that I have become quite a fan of the base 3.0l turbo engine of the base model...Smiley

d997h:

I doubt that. Why should Porsche put the 4.0l into a "T", when the "T" is "only" a bit of a "parts bin exercise" - though, a very interesting one... Smiley

Having said this I have to admit that I have become quite a fan of the base 3.0l turbo engine of the base model...Smiley

How would this not continue to be a parts bin exercise with GT4 engine, GT3 gearbox and Carrera chassis? Smiley

--

Grant:
    d997h:

How would this not continue to be a parts bin exercise with GT4 engine, GT3 gearbox and Carrera chassis? Smiley

Precisely.  Porsche always looks for opportunities to amortize drivetrains across models. 

This would be an excellent way to enhance the desirability of the Carrera T AND offer a relatively affordable, street-focused 911 with an NA engine.  GT3 will be ~$200K for most builds - $155-$160 MSRP + $20-$40 of options + ADM (if any) + tax. 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688486 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408677 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255514 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234758 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65376 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4634 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857551 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773317 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM