Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Cayman GT4 & 718 Spyder -- Pistonheads review

CGX car nut:
    Grant:
    Gauss:

The sound difference is significant at low revs, but under full load, it should be minimal.

I watched the 718 GT4 (pre-production) turn some laps at the Ring (standing just off track at Pflanzgarten) and it was significantly quieter at full song as well.

Didn’t the EU Authorities issue new enforcement statements on sports exhaust systems defeating the current noise regulations?   Porsche is just being proactive since it and the entire Volkswagen Group is under more intense scrutiny.  It was fun while it lasted. 

For better or worse we are leaving EU on 31st January - but I suspect we will still follow EU rules on matters such as this Smiley

--

Porsche Boxster 981 GTS Carrara white / VW Golf GTI 5dr DSG Tornado Red

dreamcar:
    CGX car nut:
    Grant:
    Gauss:

The sound difference is significant at low revs, but under full load, it should be minimal.

I watched the 718 GT4 (pre-production) turn some laps at the Ring (standing just off track at Pflanzgarten) and it was significantly quieter at full song as well.

Didn’t the EU Authorities issue new enforcement statements on sports exhaust systems defeating the current noise regulations?   Porsche is just being proactive since it and the entire Volkswagen Group is under more intense scrutiny.  It was fun while it lasted. 

For better or worse we are leaving EU on 31st January - but I suspect we will still follow EU rules on matters such as this Smiley

I’m sure that even the RoW will receive the particulate filters as Porsche won’t have the volumes to justify the economic costs of engineering two separate exhaust systems.  The EU sounded better in theory than in execution.  

Yep. Unless the cost is these filters is high (initial cost and ongoing warranty replacement costs.)

KMM:

Yep. Unless the cost is these filters is high (initial cost and ongoing warranty replacement costs.)

I think emissions stuff has to have a 7 or 8 year warranty in US, so I would guess it’s worth the trouble to make a separate US version without filters...

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Smoking Tire just reviewed  the Spyder and he mentions the US version will not have the particulate filter like Europe has !!

loved the car but gearing still an issue 

Na Mezger:

Smoking Tire just reviewed  the Spyder and he mentions the US version will not have the particulate filter like Europe has !!

The 2020 Porsche Boxster Spyder is Finally a Roofless GT4! 

Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFuepeZR6fo

Smiley

Na Mezger:

Are you sure they're right? According to the last conversation I had with a Porsche guy regarding this matter, he said that US cars get the same emissions setup (with minor differences) like Europe, incl. the particulate filter.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

RC:
    Na Mezger:

Are you sure they're right? According to the last conversation I had with a Porsche guy regarding this matter, he said that US cars get the same emissions setup (with minor differences) like Europe, incl. the particulate filter.

All the info I've heard says US cars come without the filters, but instead include a mesh element that is meant to emulate the flow of the filters, so the engine will perform same as filtered car (but cheaper to make for Porsche and a little louder for US customers).

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Grant:
    RC:
    Na Mezger:

All the info I've heard says US cars come without the filters, but instead include a mesh element that is meant to emulate the flow of the filters, so the engine will perform same as filtered car (but cheaper to make for Porsche and a little louder for US customers).

So what about California for example?

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

718 GTS 4.0 unveiled by Porsche with 20 bhp less than the GT4.  This car is a winning combination.  From the official Porsche press release:

The new 718 GTS 4.0: Six cylinders, naturally aspirated, manual gearbox

A new naturally-aspirated 4.0 liter engine complements the enticing GTS formula

Atlanta, Georgia. Porsche is adding two new models to its mid-engine sports car range: the 718 Cayman GTS 4.0 and the 718 Boxster GTS 4.0. The new mid-engine sports cars are powered by a naturally-aspirated four-liter six-cylinder boxer engine developing 394 hp and 309 lb.-ft. of torque. This engine is closely related to the 414 hp variant used in the 718 Spyder and the 718 Cayman GT4. Equipped exclusively with a six-speed manual transmission and standard Sport Exhaust System, the 718 GTS 4.0 models offer exceptional throttle response. Both variants can accelerate from 0 to 60 mph in 4.3 seconds and reach a top track speed of 182 mph. Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) sport suspension with a 20 millimeter lower ride height (compared to other 718 Boxster and Cayman models) is standard, as is Porsche Torque Vectoring (PTV) with a mechanical limited-slip differential. As a result, the new 718 GTS 4.0 balances nimble handling and ride comfort exceptionally well. The standard Sport Chrono package with upgraded Porsche Track Precision App also underscores the driving enthusiast-oriented character of these mid-engine sports cars. Black contrasting design elements and a dark Alcantara® interior are highlights typical of GTS models.

The 718 Cayman GTS 4.0 and 718 Boxster GTS 4.0 will be available to order in the U.S. in Summer 2020. Detailed pricing and arrival timing at U.S. dealers will also be announced at that time.

The new 718 GTS 4.0: Details

The new GTS engine stands out with its superior power reserves and precise throttle response. It revs effortlessly to 7,800 rpm and emits a particularly rich six-cylinder boxer engine sound via the standard Sports Exhaust System. The 718 GTS 4.0 models adopt the twin tailpipe Sport Exhaust System from the 718 Spyder and 718 Cayman GT4. Its saddle-type design creates space for the contrasting black rear lower fascia, which was specifically designed for the GTS models. As in the 718 Spyder and 718 Cayman GT4, the powerful naturally aspirated four-liter boxer engine is equipped with adaptive cylinder control that alternately switches off one of the two cylinder banks at low engine loads, direct fuel injection with piezo injectors and a variable intake system to enhance the car’s efficiency.

With exceptionally agile handling and precise steering, the chassis pairs an exciting driving experience with ride comfort suitable for everyday use. Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) is part of the standard equipment on 718 GTS 4.0 models. The ride height with this performance-oriented suspension is 0.78 inches (20 millimeters) lower than on standard 718 Boxster and Cayman models. The regular PASM suspension with a 0.39 inch (10 millimeter) reduction in ride height compared to standard 718 variants is alternatively available. Other standard equipment on the 718 GTS 4.0 models includes Porsche Stability Management (PSM) with individually selectable PSM Sport mode, the Sport Chrono Package including the upgraded Porsche Track Precision App, Porsche Active Drivetrain Mounts (PADM) and Porsche Torque Vectoring (PTV) with a mechanical limited-slip differential.

The mid-engine sports cars are fitted with 20-inch light-alloy wheels painted in satin black and high-performance summer tires (235/35 ZR 20 at the front and 265/35 ZR 20 at the rear). In light of the increased power, the brake system has been enhanced compared to the 718 S and previous 718 GTS models. The cross drilled cast-iron front rotors now measure 13.8 inches (350 millimeters) in diameter (up from 330 mm previously) and are equipped with red six-piston calipers, while the rear rotor size has been increased to 13 inches (330 mm). The Porsche Ceramic Composite Brake (PCCB) is available as an option.

As is typical for GTS models, the spoiler lip, the all-black air intake of the Sport Design front fascia and the redesigned lower rear fascia are kept in black, while the front running light lenses and taillights are tinted.

Black Alcantara® is the material of choice for the interior, covering the center sections of the standard Sport Seats Plus as well as the steering wheel rim, center console, gear lever and door armrests. In the 718 Cayman GTS 4.0, Alcantara® also covers the A-pillars and the roof lining. With the optional GTS Interior Package, the tachometer, seat belts, all decorative stitching including the embroidered GTS emblem in the headrests and the Porsche lettering on the floor mats are kept in either Carmine Red or Chalk. The interior trim for the 718 GTS 4.0 models is carbon fiber; other trims are optionally available.

The 718 GTS 4.0 models come standard with Porsche Communication Management (PCM) with a high-resolution seven-inch touchscreen and the Sport Chrono package, including the enhanced Track Precision App. This feature can be accessed when ordering the optional navigation system with Connect. Originating from motorsport, the smartphone app shows performance-related data on the PCM display and records it for later analysis. The online navigation module with real-time traffic information, voice control and Porsche Connect are available as an option, as are a BOSE® Surround Sound System and Burmester High-End Surround Sound System.

Sounds very good kiss

Models are getting pretty close to each other now ....

And I bet we will see this engine in a 911 ........ Would be great in a Carrera  T 

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm -- 991.2 GT3 RS 

Details on Porsche website https://www.porsche.com/uk/models/718/718-gts-4-0-models/

Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0 six-cylinder...

Porsche Boxster GTS 4.0 six-cylinder...

Link: https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/2020/products/porsche-718-gts-4-0-models-boxster-cayman-19733.html

Smiley

Could Porsche just have named the bloody thing just "Cayman / Boxster 4.0" ... some new owners of the current GTS will be "...excited..." ...

I like this new python green kiss

--

Agreed, and cool cars with the 4.0, we should applaud Porsche for going against the current trend. 

--

1969 Mercedes-Benz 300SEL 6.3  / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS (sold) / 2011 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Performance / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 Clubsport

Gnil:

I like this new python green kiss

... and lizard green is not available anymore on any of the   Porsche's ( expect on GT models when still available )  .....  Wonder why this change ?

Lava orange is still available 

--

Porker:

Agreed, and cool cars with the 4.0, we should applaud Porsche for going against the current trend. 

They had no choice... Smiley Smiley

--

With PDK I assume it would be as fast as a GT4 (maybe not in track) but for a general use I think so. What do you guys think?

The GT4 is supposed to get PDK at some point, so I guess the GTS won't stay behind? 

--

GT4 and GTS will get PDK at the same time.

Very nice cars, but expensive ones. Not really a surprise these days. (the price)

xpto:

GT4 and GTS will get PDK at the same time.

Very nice cars, but expensive ones. Not really a surprise these days. (the price)

Just configured a Boxster GTS 4.0 with all the goodies I would want...105k EUR...ouch. Smiley

--

Very tempting  kiss

Also liking the new green.. this is what I was hoping for from Lizard
    --

2019 911 GT3 RS,1964 Type 1

DaveGordon:

Also liking the new green.. this is what I was hoping for from Lizard
    --

2019 911 GT3 RS,1964 Type 1

Agree . Looks nicer then Lizard , darker . Only good thing maybe now about Lizard is if it is discontinued ( like it seems to ) then it makes it a bit special 

--

There goes the resale of the 718 GT4

--

Whoopsy:

There goes the resale of the 718 GT4

Not really.  Both vehicles are significantly different that there still remains a viable market, both new and pre-owned, for the 718 GT4.  However, recall, that Porsche stated that the 718 GT4 is not a limited production model.  If anything, this new model affects the resale values of the 718s with the turbo four.  

Had the GTS comes with PDK as standard, the yes your argument make sense, But it’s not, it comes manual just like a GT4. Here is no differentiation anymore. For those that couldn’t get a GT4 from their dealer or think a GT4 is too expensive, they will get a GTS 4.0. 

Giving it a manual is the biggest mistake Porsche can make. They are overestimating the demand for manual car. Yes they have steady customers asking for manuals, but the are of the same group of customers, not new ones. Why pay more for a GT4 when the GTS is cheaper but just about as good, especially on the street.

I want the flat 6 in a Boxster/Cayman configuration, but I don’t want a manual. I do not have a choice right now. Maybe I will just go get myself a Z4 instead. I asked already, since the GT4 is manual only, can I get a 4.0 in PDK.? The answer is no, and they just lost one sale immediately right after the announcement. Even if they give it the PDK treatment later down the production cycle, that likely would be took late already.

If I want a manual Porsche, there is about 50 years worth of production on the road right now for me to choose.

--

Whoopsy:

If I want a manual Porsche, there is about 50 years worth of production on the road right now for me to choose.

I would agree, if I didn't want a warranty and Euro Delivery Smiley

I agree GTS is just as good as GT4 for the street.  But for track, the bigger wheels, tires, brakes and adjustable suspension are big benefits...

--

Grant:
    Whoopsy:

I would agree, if I didn't want a warranty and Euro Delivery Smiley

I agree GTS is just as good as GT4 for the street.  But for track, the bigger wheels, tires, brakes and adjustable suspension are big benefits...

Porsche Cayman GT4 RS will have PDK shifter...  1554541446878image.gif

DB5D8141-D3E6-4F0B-96E3-3467633A38D0.jpeg

...get your name on the VIP waiting list Whoopsy! Smiley

Python -Lizard.jpeg

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689846 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409377 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255814 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235042 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65562 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4650 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858133 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774233 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM