Crown

Board: Porsche - Taycan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Tesla Roadster

Whoopsy:
    Leawood911:

thanks Tony 

A little math. A gallon of 93 octane BP is around $3 here in good old Kansas. Around town my turbo does well to get 20 mpg. Let’s make it 25 on the highway at best behavior. 
    At $.05 per kWh I can get 60 kWh for that same $3. A model 3 is rated at 4.1 miles per kWh. That’s 246 miles for the same $3. (now 2.9 sec 0-60, so it kills the turbo) It also best the M3 around the track by a fair margin so this is not just a straight line trick. IMHO they are comparing to the wrong Tesla when it comes to driving fun. 
    My round trip to work each day if I come home for lunch is 10 miles. Just the gas to get gas (4 miles) costs more than total electricity for a week (50 miles). 
    I believe the Porsche gets a respectable 2.1 miles per kWh (49kwh/100 miles)  It has its place and is an awesome car  

the cost of ownership, insurance, repairs etc is just incredible for any electric    My observation only  

No one dispute the cheapness of running a EV.

Our electricity is on a 2 step pricing but the first step is so small that it's pointless to include, so our rate is CAD$0.12 a kw. Recharging my Audi from empty is ~CAD$11.

For the Panamera is like $1.50

Not that cheap in Europe I'm afraid and there are also huge differences between different service providers (chargers). Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

All that does is gives you an edge on what you know the future is bound to be like.  Even in Germany and Austria. 

Russia Edition? Smiley Smiley

Only half the car for double the price... Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

Topspeed:

DIY Tesla Cybertruck

https://www.instagram.com/p/B6Ohz8_nK1y/?igshid=k44z1jo7ozpx

smiley

Obviously, it's a fake.  The build quality is too high.

Apparently the Tesla Model 3 is going to be popular with taxi drivers...

“Your next NYC taxi could soon be a Tesla”

The Tesla Model 3 has gotten the OK to don the famous yellow and black paint of a New York City taxi cab. 

The Model 3 joins a list of about 40 different vehicles, including numerous variants of some models, that have been approved to join New York City's taxi fleet. The Model 3 is the only car on the list that is fully electric, although there are a number of hybrid cars in use. 

There are no Teslas in use as New York taxis yet and no way to say, at this point, when we might actually see a Tesla Model 3 cab. Generally, cars only get a TLC certification when requested by an individual or fleet company.

There are Teslas already being used as "for hire" cars in New York City, said Allan Fromberg of the New York City Taxi & Limousine Commission. Those cars, which do not have the distinctive bright yellow paint and rooftop lights of a taxi and are not allowed to pick up riders who wave for them in the street, are held to a different set of rules than taxis. "For hire" cars could be Lyft or Uber cars or work for any of the so-called "black car" limousine services in New York. The requirements for those cars are somewhat less stringent than those for yellow cabs.

The Tesla Model 3 has met the requirements to be used as taxi in New York City.

Among other things, to qualify as a New York City taxi cab, a vehicle has to meet minimum requirements for interior space, it must have air conditioning for rear seat passengers and space to install the clear partition that separates the passengers in the backseat from the driver. The seats also have to be covered in easy-to-clean material like vinyl.

Once approved, a car can then be "hacked up," or have all the equipment installed to make it into a taxi cab. That includes the required paint job, exterior lights and signage, the taxi meter, and interior partition.

A small number of Nissan Leaf electric cars were used as New York cabs in an experimental program that ended in 2015. In its final report, the Taxi & Limousine Commission noted that drivers had to significantly alter their driving habits to work around the vehicles' relatively short range, especially in hot weather which required the air conditioner to be used. Those first-generation Nissan Leafs only had an EPA-estimated range of 84 miles, though. The roomier Tesla Model 3 has a range of at least 220 miles. 

Tesla CEO Elon Musk has said that there would be self-driving Tesla taxis by some time next year. That probably won't be in New York, though, since state traffic laws require a driver to have at least one hand on the steering wheel at all times. Having to pay a licensed driver to sit in the car, even if the person is not actively driving, would do away with any business benefit of having a "driverless" cab.

Link: https://edition.cnn.com/2019/11/07/success/tesla-model-3-new-york-city-taxi/index.html

CGX car nut:
    Topspeed:

DIY Tesla Cybertruck

https://www.instagram.com/p/B6Ohz8_nK1y/?igshid=k44z1jo7ozpx

smiley

Obviously, it's a fake.  The build quality is too high.

This is so funny. I think the Cybertruck is growing on me 😝

--

Tesla Model S P100d & Model X P90D & 2017 Sept 991.2 GT3. 2019 BMW M850i Convertible. Tesla Model 3 Performance on order. 

D_pYb9HUYAAnAOR.jpeg

The cyber truck has turned into a library building in Edmonton.

--

Test Shows Tesla Cybertruck Glass Seems Weak Versus VW Golf Glass

It seems even the standard glass on this Volkswagen Golf is close to indestructible.

Eric Loveday

Watch the side window on a VolkswagenGolf hold up to a large steel ball thrown at it several times and repeated blows from a hammer. It only breaks when a sledgehammer strikes it.

https://youtu.be/TWzUh53H_VU  

Admittedly, this is not a video we thought we'd stumble across. Mainly because we didn't expect to see video surface of a guy trying to purposely break the window of his own car. But when we hit play on the video, the results were indeed quite shocking. Not only does the VW Golf glass outperform that of the Tesla Cybertruck, but with just a bit of protective film added, the Golf glass becomes virtually indestructible.

More On The Cybertruck's Glass

The findings presented in this video lead us to wonder why Tesla is going through the expensive process of developing specialty glass when it could rather simply just apply a protective film to the glass instead.

Gallery: VW Golf Glass

VW Golf Glass Tests

12 Photos

VW Golf Glass TestsVW Golf Glass TestsVW Golf Glass TestsVW Golf Glass TestsVW Golf Glass TestsVW Golf Glass TestsVW Golf Glass Tests

As you'll see in the video above, a large and heavy steel ball is thrown at the side glass of the Golf several times. With each throw, more force and speed are present. When the glass won't break, the creator of the video switches to a rather large hammer. Repeated strikes with increasing intensity still won't break the glass, so out comes the big sledgehammer. This is when the glass meets its match and shatters.

Then, the video creator adds protective films to the glass and installs it in the Golf. At this point, the glass becomes virtually unbreakable. It's so strong that when struck by the sledgehammer, the guy literally gets knocked backward and nearly takes a tumble.

It's surely worth pointing out that in the video you can see the door and glass flex to absorb the impacted. Additionally, the door seals absorb the shock and the whole car itself moves a bit when struck hard. All of this takes some of the force off of the glass and spreads it to a large area.

The glass of the Cybertruck reportedly failed due to the sledgehammer (actually a dead-blow hammer, likely to reduce rebound and limit the chance of injury) impacted the body of the truck earlier in the presentation. This weakened or fractured the edge of the glass and supposedly led to its failure. 

Check out the video of the Cybertruck glass breaking below and let us know in comments your thoughts both on the durability of standard glass and Tesla's decision to develop its own new glass specifically for the truck.

...does this look like a good location to build an electricity charging station for your Tesla? Smiley

You see the YouTube video of someone using a Tesla as a boat! These locations would come in handy. Need to find the video indecision

--

Tesla Model S P100d & Model X P90D & 2017 Sept 991.2 GT3. 2019 BMW M850i Convertible. Tesla Model 3 Performance on order. 2020 Aston Martin Vantage. 

https://youtu.be/cBYFo6fXPvU

--

Tesla Model S P100d & Model X P90D & 2017 Sept 991.2 GT3. 2019 BMW M850i Convertible. Tesla Model 3 Performance on order. 2020 Aston Martin Vantage. 

Boxster Coupe GTS:

...does this look like a good location to build an electricity charging station for your Tesla? Smiley

Hahaha it looks supsiciously Dutch to be honest! Smiley

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

That is funny. Probably still safe - but I would not go near it. I would assume some type of short protection is in place if the water is hot.  Thanks for posting!  Maybe the next arcade game could be some boat race game for this location. 

A few days ago, one posted about how some Level 2 autonomous systems tend to allow the driver to move outside the control loop.  That comment was met by ridicule by a poster or two.  Today, the American Automobile Association’s Foundation For Traffic Safety released its findings on ADAS and its conclusions echoed the previous comments one had made.  These advanced driving assistant systems do make drivers worse drivers.  The findings are found here: https://aaafoundation.org/understanding-the-impact-of-technology-do-advanced-driver-assistance-and-semi-automated-vehicle-systems-lead-to-improper-driving-behavior/?TrucksFoT

CGX car nut:

A few days ago, one posted about how some Level 2 autonomous systems tend to allow the driver to move outside the control loop.  That comment was met by ridicule by a poster or two.  Today, the American Automobile Association’s Foundation For Traffic Safety released its findings on ADAS and its conclusions echoed the previous comments one had made.  These advanced driving assistant systems do make drivers worse drivers.  The findings are found here: https://aaafoundation.org/understanding-the-impact-of-technology-do-advanced-driver-assistance-and-semi-automated-vehicle-systems-lead-to-improper-driving-behavior/?TrucksFoT

They must be Tesla haters like the rest of the world.

It's just common sense that that happens, but the immorality is calling a level 2 system "autopilot" and then not putting the necessary available mechanisms in place to avoid the driver misusing the system and not keeping the hand on the wheel and eyes on the road at all times.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Carlos from Spain:
    CGX car nut:

They must be Tesla haters like the rest of the world.

It's just common sense that that happens, but the immorality is calling a level 2 system "autopilot" and then not putting the necessary available mechanisms in place to avoid the driver misusing the system and not keeping the hand on the wheel and eyes on the road at all times.

The driver must remain a proactive part of the control loop until the system evolves into a system with high fidelity, high reliability, and high repeatability.   Until that happens, any system that causes the driver to believe it is operating at a higher level of autonomy is put undo risk not only on the driver but also on other stakeholders on or near the roadway.  

I am always holding on to the wheel. Yet it frequently ‘Ayrton’ asks for me to make a small steering input to confirm I am paying attention. In one case it took autopilot away even though I was providing the required steering inputs. The message was that it judged me to not be paying enough attention and it disabled autopilot until the next drive. I needed to stop, go into park, open the door and then resume the drive to get autopilot back.  So even in a case where you are holding on to the wheel and providing asked for steering inputs it is still optimized to be cautious and err on the side of asking for extra attention. I have not figured out what additional metric it used in that case. Or if that behavior has now been modified. The little tweaks in the upgrades to autopilot are worth reading the release notes for. That can be frustrating and must be a pita for Tesla to get through legal etc. I would compare the danger of the new tech to what people faced generations ago when the went from horses to cars. You learn fast what is working and what does not. The documentation from Tesla in terms of instructions and warning must be understood. They can make you read but they can’t make people understand. But that applies to everything. 
    There are some situations like traffic jams where it is awesome and the economy of the electricity shines. Other times I am not going to let it drive. No way.  Looking forward to using it in the snow. And yes I double checked this was a Tesla thread. And yes I named my car. If I had a son ...

Drove again an X the other day .

I tried auto pilot in a small town driving down a hill on a very twisty road . I let go completely of the steering wheel . The car was following the side pavement  until the cable stones that delimited that pavement had a dip ( to allow entrance into a property ) . There the car went over the pavement . I grabbed the steering wheel to put the car back onto the road .

The system is good , but no way can one sit back ,relax  and trust the system .

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm -- 991.2 GT3 RS 

Pick up my model 3 performance tomorrow. V excited. 

321F49F3-080F-42A2-A783-80E0458AF965.jpeg

--

Tesla Model S P100d & Model X P90D & 2018 991.2 GT3. 2019 BMW M850i Convertible. Tesla Model 3 Performance on order. 2020 Aston Martin Vantage. 

Congrats. Exactly like mine. I like the new dark grey wheels. 

https://www.ibm.com/blogs/research/2019/12/heavy-metal-free-battery/

While this is still only a break through and not an actual product, Mercedes, could in one go, made all of Tesla and others who do the 400V system obsolete and half of everyone else making 800V EV too.

Pairing this new battery type with 800V system would be the final step that would make EV mainstream.

Almost like the Holy Grail of batteries.

Discovered in IBM Research’s Battery Lab, this design uses a cobalt and nickel-free cathode material, as well as a safe liquid electrolyte with a high flash point. This unique combination of the cathode and electrolyte demonstrated an ability to suppress lithium metal dendrites during charging, thereby reducing flammability, which is widely considered a significant drawback for the use of lithium metal as an anode material.

A Differential Electrochemical Mass Spectroscopy (DEMS) System in the IBM Research Battery Lab, which measures the amount of gas that has evolved from a battery cell during charging and discharging cycles.

This discovery holds significant potential for electric vehicle batteries, for example, where concerns such as flammability, cost and charging time come into play. Current tests show that less than five minutes are required for the battery – configured for high power – to reach an 80 percent state of charge. Combined with the relatively low cost of sourcing the materials, the goal of a fast-charging, low-cost electric vehicle could become a reality.

In the quickly evolving arena of flying vehicles and electric aircrafts, having access to batteries with very high-power density, which can scale a power load quickly, is critical. When optimized for this factor, this new battery design exceeds more than 10,000 W/L, outperforming the most powerful lithium-ion batteries available. Additionally, our tests have shown this battery can be designed for a long-life cycle, making it an option for smart power grid applications and new energy infrastructures where longevity and stability is key.

Overall, this battery has shown the capacity to outperform existing lithium-ion batteries not only in the previously listed applications, but can also be optimized for a range of specific benefits, including:

• Lower cost: The active cathode materials tend to cost less because they are free of cobalt, nickel, and other heavy metals. These materials are typically very resource-intensive to source, and also have raised concerns over their sustainability.
    • Faster charging: Less than five minutes required to reach an 80 percent state of charge (SOC), without compromising specific discharge capacity.
    • High power density: More than 10,000 W/L. (exceeding the power level that lithium-ion battery technology can achieve).
    • High energy density: More than 800 Wh/L, comparable to the state-of-art lithium-ion battery.
    • Excellent energy efficiency: More than 90 percent (calculated from the ratio of the energy to discharge the battery over the energy to charge the battery).
    • Low flammability of electrolytes

--

Oh my this is a fun little thing. Like a little rabbit running around. Very fast and direct. 

9A935191-8A4C-48FE-8AF9-3B4EB7B4C21B.jpeg
    121E028B-44C4-4C83-885F-9DFB3D99F42E.jpeg

--

Tesla Model S P100d & Model X P90D & 2018 991.2 GT3. 2019 BMW M850i Convertible. Tesla Model 3 Performance on order. 2020 Aston Martin Vantage. 

Handles very flat and point and squirt. I like working on my one pedal driving skill. Surprises everyone you give a ride to, eh?

Whoopsy:

https://www.ibm.com/blogs/research/2019/12/heavy-metal-free-battery/

While this is still only a break through and not an actual product, Mercedes, could in one go, made all of Tesla and others who do the 400V system obsolete and half of everyone else making 800V EV too.

Pairing this new battery type with 800V system would be the final step that would make EV mainstream.

Almost like the Holy Grail of batteries.

Discovered in IBM Research’s Battery Lab, this design uses a cobalt and nickel-free cathode material, as well as a safe liquid electrolyte with a high flash point. This unique combination of the cathode and electrolyte demonstrated an ability to suppress lithium metal dendrites during charging, thereby reducing flammability, which is widely considered a significant drawback for the use of lithium metal as an anode material.

A Differential Electrochemical Mass Spectroscopy (DEMS) System in the IBM Research Battery Lab, which measures the amount of gas that has evolved from a battery cell during charging and discharging cycles.

This discovery holds significant potential for electric vehicle batteries, for example, where concerns such as flammability, cost and charging time come into play. Current tests show that less than five minutes are required for the battery – configured for high power – to reach an 80 percent state of charge. Combined with the relatively low cost of sourcing the materials, the goal of a fast-charging, low-cost electric vehicle could become a reality.

In the quickly evolving arena of flying vehicles and electric aircrafts, having access to batteries with very high-power density, which can scale a power load quickly, is critical. When optimized for this factor, this new battery design exceeds more than 10,000 W/L, outperforming the most powerful lithium-ion batteries available. Additionally, our tests have shown this battery can be designed for a long-life cycle, making it an option for smart power grid applications and new energy infrastructures where longevity and stability is key.

Overall, this battery has shown the capacity to outperform existing lithium-ion batteries not only in the previously listed applications, but can also be optimized for a range of specific benefits, including:

• Lower cost: The active cathode materials tend to cost less because they are free of cobalt, nickel, and other heavy metals. These materials are typically very resource-intensive to source, and also have raised concerns over their sustainability.
    • Faster charging: Less than five minutes required to reach an 80 percent state of charge (SOC), without compromising specific discharge capacity.
    • High power density: More than 10,000 W/L. (exceeding the power level that lithium-ion battery technology can achieve).
    • High energy density: More than 800 Wh/L, comparable to the state-of-art lithium-ion battery.
    • Excellent energy efficiency: More than 90 percent (calculated from the ratio of the energy to discharge the battery over the energy to charge the battery).
    • Low flammability of electrolytes

There will be many huge advances in the next few decades. This may or may not be production ready before the next big thing. It is cool that we all get to benefit from this. Stay tuned. It is not about being a Tesla beater it is about everything from new power sources to distributors/ storage to motors and generators. As this will result in much cheaper and reliable clean power. 

EnglishManInNY:

Oh my this is a fun little thing. Like a little rabbit running around. Very fast and direct. 

9A935191-8A4C-48FE-8AF9-3B4EB7B4C21B.jpeg
    121E028B-44C4-4C83-885F-9DFB3D99F42E.jpeg

Congrats to the new max-fun toy Smiley

Leawood911:

Handles very flat and point and squirt. I like working on my one pedal driving skill. Surprises everyone you give a ride to, eh?

Too right. This car is so much fun. Was going to be for me. Was giving my wife the model s. But now she wants it after driving it. Crap! I want it badly.  And I just got a new Mclaren 720S. May have to get another one!

--

Tesla Model S P100d. 2018 991.2 GT3. 2019 BMW M850i Convertible. 2020 Tesla Model 3 Performance. 2020 Aston Martin Vantage. 2020 Mclaren 720S coupe. 🥳

EnglishManInNY:
    Leawood911:

Too right. This car is so much fun. Was going to be for me. Was giving my wife the model s. But now she wants it after driving it. Crap! I want it badly.  And I just got a new Mclaren 720S. May have to get another one!

Lol. What is with all the cars?  Lottery ?  Nice to see I’m not the only one with a fast car history who is amused by the Model3. 

2 leases were up so got new cars. The model 3 and 850.  The Aston I just loved the car at first sight. Got a great nostalgic feel to it. Love it. And the Mclaren is a great deal and an early birthday gift to myself - 50 next year. The wife approved. No lottery win. I can’t take the money to the grave so why not. So I now own 2 British cars. My first ones ever!

--

Tesla Model S P100d. 2018 991.2 GT3. 2019 BMW M850i Convertible. 2020 Tesla Model 3 Performance. 2020 Aston Martin Vantage. 2020 Mclaren 720S coupe. 🥳

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/16/24 3:13 PM
    watt
    755751 1797
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    431782 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258908 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    256006 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79996 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5266 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

869052 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    803197 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM