Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayenne Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Official Porsche Winter Tires Recommendations for 2004/2005

235/65 R17 108 H M+S (not for Cayenne S and Cayenne Turbo)
    Continental 4x4 Winter Contact N0
    Dunlop Grandtrek WT M2 (Rotation) N0

235/60 R18 107 H M+S (not for Cayenne Turbo with PK)
    Dunlop Grandtrek WT M2 (Rotation) N0
    Pirelli Scorpion Ice&Snow N0

255/55 R18 109 V M+S (not for Cayenne Turbo with PK)

255/50 R19 107 V M+S (only winter tire approved for the Cayenne Turbo with PK!)

Sidenote: the above tires are not approved for Australia!

Approved rims are:
    17'' Cayenne rim
    18'' Cayenne S rim
    18'' Turbo rim
    19'' Design rim

Tire pressure for all above recommended tires:

Standard: 2.6 bar front and 2.9 bar rear
    Full load: 2.6 bar front and 3.4 bar rear

Owners of wheels equipped with the tire pressure control system should order complete wheels from Porsche with have tire pressure control transmitters installed.
    Owners of tire pressure control system equipped Cayenne should also not forget to change the wheel/tire setting in the menue of their on-board computer.

It is not recommended to "swap" tires (from summer to winter tires and back again for example) on the same rim.
    The tires can be damaged in this process, a damage which might not be visible.

Re: Official Porsche Winter Tires Recommendations for 2004/2005

Why it is not recommended to swap the tyres?

This seems to be only Porsche center talk.

Quote:
    mumbasic said:

Have you ever seen how a tire is removed from a rim?
    I highly recommend watching it.
    Especially on low profile tires, damage can occur pretty easily.
    This is no Porsche talk, it is about safety.

RC, what is the number saying between wheel size and speed index? Is it the load index?

Are you serious about the Australia approve? What about the Maledives?

I'm happy to see they are recommending the Pirelli Snow and Ice. If you recall Cayenne AK in Alaska, he used the Pirelli Snow and Ice 255/55 18 last winter and liked it very much.

My winter tires are the 18" GrandTrek. While on the post it says no rotation. My plans are to do a front to rear rotation.

Is the PK the $20K 50 HP + other stuff upgrade?

Quote:
    Ferdie said:
    RC, what is the number saying between wheel size and speed index? Is it the load index?

Are you serious about the Australia approve? What about the Maledives?

I'm very serious about Australia and I'm pretty sure you wouldn't need winter tires on the Maledives.

Quote:
    wingless said:
    My winter tires are the 18" GrandTrek. While on the post it says no rotation. My plans are to do a front to rear rotation.

Is the PK the $20K 50 HP + other stuff upgrade?

Yes, the PK is the 500 HP powerkit upgrade which also includes different brakes (front+rear).
    Grandtrek isn't always Grandtrek, there are different types available. There is the M2 and there is the M3. The M3 is not approved for the Cayenne. The approved M2 with Porsche's N0 specification also has a different compound mixture and a different tread structure. So it is actually a different tire. Rotation means that the approved tires are to be mounted in a single direction only, this is usually indicated on the tire itself. So if you want to "rotate" tires from the front to the rear axle, you can do that but you have to do it on the same axle side, not cross-wise. And here is actually the "problem" with "rotating": tire rotating is actually recommended "cross-wise" but you can't do it on the Cayenne.
    So it might only create problems to rotate tires on the same side of the axle only.

Many people aren't also aware that ALL Porsche approved and recommended winter tires with N-specification are XL (Extra Load) tires. This is why we highly recommend to mount ONLY Porsche recommended tires with N-specification.
    There are only a few car manufacturers worldwide who invest so much time and money in tire testing. Porsche tire and tire pressure recommendations are not based on issues like comfort or life time but safety, highspeed durability and sportiness. This is why I personally stick ONLY to Porsche recommendations when it comes to tires because I want to be on the safe side. To each his own I guess...

Quote:
    RC said:
    255/50 R19 107 V M+S (only winter tire approved for the Cayenne Turbo with PK!)

The 19" is certainly a welcome addition.

Do you ever need winter tyres in Australia? I didn't expect that actually!

I agree with RC on the winter tyre recommendations but we are not talking about peanuts here - what is the price of the above mentioned tire/wheel combos..?

Again, does anybody know the meaning of the numbers between wheel size and speed index?

Quote:
    Ferdie said:
    Again, does anybody know the meaning of the numbers between wheel size and speed index?

You were correct. It is a load rating.

See: Tire Rack on Speed Rating, Load Index, etc...

Ah, thanks a lotta!

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    mumbasic said:

Have you ever seen how a tire is removed from a rim?
    I highly recommend watching it.
    Especially on low profile tires, damage can occur pretty easily.
    This is no Porsche talk, it is about safety.

Concluding your statement mean to me that I have to change my wheels two times a year. I nead one set of summer tyre and winter tyre per year! What is the difference changing summer tyre for summer tyre and changing winter tyre for summer tyre?

Greetings

Quote:
    mumbasic said:
    What is the difference changing summer tyre for summer tyre and changing winter tyre for summer tyre?

There is no difference. It is just _not_ something some folks like to have done twice a year.

I think what RC is driving at is that it is probably worth getting an additional set of wheels and mounting your winter tires on them. This puts the switch from summer-to-winter, winter-to-summer no more than 16 lug bolts away.

I don't know about Europe but in the US we can grab a set of 18" take off rims and put on a set of tires for a pretty low price. Factoring in the additional time and a good balancing job twice a year, and a set of 18" wheels for the Cayenne get paid for in a reasonable amount of time.

I know a couple of folks that actually switch between summer and winter wheel sets themselves based on the daily weather. I have two sets of wheels but that's personally a little too much trouble for me.

Then again I know one of these folks from winter rally training. She is a smoking hot 21 year old who grabs _her_ air wench to change wheels like it is nothing. If I had access to her all the time my wheels would be on and off all the time.

Quote:
    This puts the switch from summer-to-winter, winter-to-summer no more than 16 lug bolts away.

Ahem .... that would be 20 lug bolts on a Cayenne, bancu.

Quote:
    She is a smoking hot 21 year old who grabs _her_ air wench to change wheels like it is nothing. If I had access to her all the time my wheels would be on and off all the time.

You would probably find a need for wheel changes in the Spring and Fall as well.

Quote:
    GM Austin said:
    ...You would probably find a need for wheel changes in the Spring and Fall as well.

You would probably let the air out of your tires by yourself and pretend that you need help from her - twice a week...
    I know I would! Can you provide us a picture of her?

Mumbasic,

what RC is referring to is that taking a tire OF the rim can damage the rubber and especially the steel inlays. If you exchange it for a new one, it doesn't matter since you don't need the previous one any more. If you are going to use the tire once more six month later, unseen damage might have occurred to the structure.

We are talking about a 2.5 ton vehicle here, so I highly recommend to keep the tires in shape! A blown tire can cause a lot of damage, not only on SUVs!

Quote:
    GM Austin said:
    Ahem .... that would be 20 lug bolts on a Cayenne, bancu.

You would probably find a need for wheel changes in the Spring and Fall as well.

Argh. Thanks. I know better than to put numbers to things in the middle of the night. Geez...I'm can't remember when I had something with just 4 lug bolts per wheel. That's what I get for pre caffeine typing.

I hear you and agree on the more frequent wheel changes <g>.

Quote:
    Ferdie said:

Only the 'picture' etched in my mind. My view from inside the track pickup while she was standing in the bed to 'get a better view' was quite spectacular. Denim can be such a beautiful thing.

The rest of the guys couldn't understand why I didn't want standout on the track next to the start/stop box with them. I think we had different priorities that day. Racing on ice is fun and all but...<g>.

Quote:
    bancu said:
    She is a smoking hot 21 year old who grabs _her_ air wench to change wheels like it is nothing.

Are you referring to one of those inflatable dolls?

Are we going off-topic here?

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    bancu said:
    She is a smoking hot 21 year old who grabs _her_ air wench to change wheels like it is nothing.

Are you referring to one of those inflatable dolls?

Are we going off-topic here?

Yes, a little off-topic, but, it's in the interest of humor so maybe admin will allow us a bit of latitude.

"air wench"

Yes, I thought that Freudian slip was pretty funny too!

Quote:
    bancu said:
    ...Racing on ice is fun and all but...

Uahaha...

So if anybody wants to say women shouldn't work in a car repair, tell them your story!

Quote:
    GM Austin said:
    "air wench"

Yes, I thought that Freudian slip was pretty funny too!

Oops. Typo the 'r' in that one. That should have been wrench.

Don't think it was a Freudian slip beyond the fact that women in their early and late 20s have been troublesome for me throughout time. Mid thirties became a criteria for me very early on. Any time I've strayed from that it hasn't been good in the long run.

Quote:
    Ferdie said:
    So if anybody wants to say women shouldn't work in a car repair, tell them your story!

Oh...that was the impressive thing about her. She wasn't one dimensional. She didn't just work on them she could drive them too.

A bit to quick on the throttle, and pushed the envelope a bit to much for the ice, but she'd been racing on the track for several years and had been to several driving schools.

Quote:
    Ferdie said:
    Quote:
    GM Austin said:
    ...You would probably find a need for wheel changes in the Spring and Fall as well.

You would probably let the air out of your tires by yourself and pretend that you need help from her - twice a week...

Mumbasic,

what RC is referring to is that taking a tire OF the rim can damage the rubber and especially the steel inlays. If you exchange it for a new one, it doesn't matter since you don't need the previous one any more. If you are going to use the tire once more six month later, unseen damage might have occurred to the structure.

We are talking about a 2.5 ton vehicle here, so I highly recommend to keep the tires in shape! A blown tire can cause a lot of damage, not only on SUVs!

OK, that sounds reasonable.

Thnx

Quote:
    bancu said:
    Don't think it was a Freudian slip beyond the fact that women in their early and late 20s have been troublesome for me throughout time. Mid thirties became a criteria for me very early on. Any time I've strayed from that it hasn't been good in the long run.

I just knew we were going OT here. Wanna tell us more?

Only kidding.

RC: I am getting a set for my 18" Turbo wheels, I am getting the Dunlop, should I get 235/60 or 255/55?

Quote:
    DEETZ said:
    RC: I am getting a set for my 18" Turbo wheels, I am getting the Dunlop, should I get 235/60 or 255/55?

Careful, the Dunlop is only approved in 235 size.
    Don't forget to get EXACTLY the Dunlop mentioned in the above recommendation, including the N-certification.
    For serious winters with lots of ice and snow, narrower tires are recommended. So you should go with the 235s.
    But the 255s looks much better, so maybe you should go for the Pirelli in 255 size. I'll do the same over here in Bavaria, the 235 size looks ridiculous on such a huge truck.

My dealer called me yesterday and we've talked about new winter tyres for my car. Here is what he offered me:
    Continental 4x4 Winter Contact 275/40 ZR 20 V for 1.468 Euro
    and Pirelli Skorpion Ice and Snow for 1.212 Euro . Price includes changing the tyres.

I have asked about buying new wheels. He told me that the new machines (they have) won't make any damage to the tyres. It would be nice if I buy four new wheels (he will make profit ) but it is 100% ok to change the tyres.

Greetings

Adnan

Hi!

I need major help here. Picked-up Cayenne Turbo 2005 on Saturday. Need to make decision as far as tire are concern. Live in MA so winter are an issue. The Turbo came with 19" Continental 4x4 SportContact tire. I know nothing about tire (woman). The dealer is willing to put 18" continental all season tire on it if I want to. I wanted to avoid changing the tire for summer/winter. Question if I keep the 19" would I need to buy 18"rims and winter tires? Is it reasonnable to have all season tires on it and not have to deal with summer/winter? Of course the dealer would do a "straight exchange" 19" for 18" and give me a roof rack for this!!! He told me that nobody wants 19" tires....Am I missing anything? Thank you guys!!!

If you don't want to change out tires, the Continental 4X4 Contact M&S in 18" is a reasonable compromise. Dedicated snow tires are the best solution but you would need to change out tires for the summer. Whatever you do, DO NOT try to drive on snow with the Continental 19" Sport Contacts. You would regret that. They are VERY slippery in the snow.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689138 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408981 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255660 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234903 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65479 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4642 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857821 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773792 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM