Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Top Gear tonight: Ferrari Enzo!!!

Tonights show will feature the Ferrari Enzo, including the famous Stig timed lap. We'll finally see if it beats the Carrera GT.
    Any predictions?
    Porsche Carerra GT - 1:19.8
    Mercedes McLaren SLR- 1.20.9
    Ford GT - 1.21.9

Cheers

OT: BTW, i had a little discussion with a friend to find out how to pronounce Porschephile...
    How do you pronounce the "phile" part? Is it like "file"? Or the "i" is similar to "feel"?

Re: Top Gear tonight: Ferrari Enzo!!!

Emzo fastest car ever sounrd the track: 1 min 19

Just saw it, the Enzo BEAT the CGT by 0.8 seconds. It did 1.19 flat.

But what a pathetic comparison. I mean Top Gear really is sh!t. The comparison was ludicrous, no proper drag races between the cars, and guess what cars they had? CGT, XJ220, Enzo, Zonda, Mac F1 and F40!

I personally after watching those supercars wouldn't choose any of them, too expensive, none of them look pretty, and far too extrovert for my taste. Gimme an SL55, an S600 and a reliable Porsche, maybe the GT3 or the future 997 series, and I'd be a happy man

There are so many cars out there today, with such close levels of performance, that hypercars are pointless and have no thinking behind them. Of course I've never driven any of them, maybe never will, but subjectively, I don't personally see what all the fuss is about...

I'm sure the carrera gt could have beaten it, as the stig did have difficulty using the clutch (took 1 hour to get used to)

Btw, was it just me or did anyone else notice the turbo brake pads on that carrera gt

phile pronounced file.

As to the test, Clarkson chose the F40. Praised the CGT, but said Porsche held it back in order to make a more socially conscious and eco friendly super car.

Quote:
    ///AMG Mercedes said:
    But what a pathetic comparison. I mean Top Gear really is sh!t. The comparison was ludicrous, no proper drag races between the cars, and guess what cars they had? CGT, XJ220, Enzo, Zonda, Mac F1 and F40!

I agree, what a great line up and they only lapped the enzo and did a couple of non-timed drag races. The show is all about clarksons ever changing random opinions.. i would like to hear stigs opinions for once.

I think the problem is cost. Can you imagine the insurance and rent out costs for all the cars? Add to that the cost of new clutches and new tyres after a couple of drag races and hot laps, just proves no matter how big you are, a drag race featuring the best cars out there, will always be a dream...

Clarkson is so inconsitent, I use to praise his wit and humour in his Sunday Times articles, but now top Gear is just a pile of crap...all because its based around him.

Fifth gear is even worse, I mean 3mins long and with their budget of 5 pounds, of course you'll see a proper driver driving a great car proper, but for how long...3 seconds...

No good motoring show in the UK is the conclusion. I jsut wish Sport Auto or AMS were English. Don't get me started on American car mags....no offence to those across the pond...

Quote:
    ezzie said:
    phile pronounced file.

As to the test, Clarkson chose the F40. Praised the CGT, but said Porsche held it back in order to make a more socially conscious and eco friendly super car.

Oh no, please not again. First all that WWII stuff and now he refers to our leftist/green government. Ouch.
    This guy just can't get it right , I wish Tiff would do his job.

The only reason Porsche "held back" the CGT is that they wanted a super sportscar which can be driven on a daily basis by almost every potential customer.
    And have you ever compared the Enzo and the CGT at let's say 300 kph? While the CGT drives like on rails, rock solid and stable, the Enzo already starts to get pretty nervous. This is the price you pay for more top speed and adapted aerodynamics, including less downforce and more drag.

This means nothing. Under more controlled conditions in other magazine tests, the CGT was a clear winner on the track. Pick a road course and I'll pick the CGT as a faster car.

Where has there been any indication anywhere that the Enzo is anything, but completely stable at high speeds. The Levante video, Levante test and Topgear test seem to show the Enzo can get a little nervous at low speeds, but I was under the impression the Enzo was a rock at high speeds.

There has only been one other real track test and the CGT did win it, but you can't act like it has happened, test after test after test. We have that one test on a tight track(still perfectly valid), and essentially what Porsche says about the Enzo.

edit: I guess I should say that I don't believe either test is conclusive. If the Enzo wasn't comparable to the CGT there is no way in hell(well if the CGT was in the wet) that it would beat it anywhere.

The Enzo's lap wasn't perfect, neither was the CGT's. The Enzo looked a little less composed, but it also looked a little faster through a couple corners. Not so much through the hammerhead though.

I don't know if its just me, there was a hint of understeer and twitchyness demonstrated by the Enzo, for some reason it never felt planted. The CGT by comparison through corners was mostly composed but because of its mid-engined RWD bias it was oversteering and looked pretty hard to control. The SLR (not that I'm biased or anything) Looked the most composed car on the track, it demonstrated quite a lot of adhesion and through hammerhead as neutral as ph7 The front just gripped no oversteer or understeer just straight through. You're welcome to add or disagree.

Of course I know tests prove otherwise, but Clarkson is right to an extent. If you want a usable supercar you buy an SLR. The CGT seems to be a perfect Enzo but with less power. That is to say it has all the ingredients of a true supercar but for Porsche to claim sovereignty in this market segment they should have upped the power, thats all. And lets not mention its slightly aggressive handling and that clutch.... Frm this perspective Clarkson is right, it was held back.

The Enzo was twitchy through parts of that lap.

I was thinking the Enzo would beat the CGT, but by only 1 or 2 tenths of a second, and was prepared to put that down to the fact the stig had a target to beat and they like to beat previous times - but since it was 0.8 difference it's hard to come up with any reasons other than it is faster on that track. I would like to have seen the CGT do a new lap on the same day (along with the other 4 cars there.

As far as Clarkson and the CGT 'holding back' comments.. the whole section was Blair v Thatcher, despite none of the cars being English (well, the 220 was there) - So i dont think it was any dig at germany or anything, just the general change in times.

I'd love to see someone go back over past shows and find where he contradicts himself, he must do it all the time with the random reasons he comes up with for prefering one car to another.

I'm gonna see it right know, its in http://www.sleepy-fish.com/other_veh.htm Thanks for the news.

In my opinion Top gear, especially Jeremy Clarkson doesn't like Porsche's at all. I think Top gear is more of Ferrarist than Porschist. Just look when he was testing the 997S, and he took off the gear, cammon man! its hyper super difficult to do that unless you keep seconds pulling it . And what about the stig lap time in rain, can't they pick another day for testing it, just a normal day like in the other testings. .

I know, I know I am a Porschist!!!

I'm sorry guys but the Enzo is the best car around !! The CGT comes right after it. All the others pale in comparison. I think they are the only true Super-Cars around.

Incredible stability in all the corners, expecially the last one!!So incredible traction and chassis!!!

I think the instability in hammerhead was mainly due to the braking twitch entering the first part of the corner, rather than the Enzo's overall cornering balance.

What really surprised me was the speed it entered the second last corner off of the highspeed section. I don't think I've seen anything enter at anywhere near that speed.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    ezzie said:
    phile pronounced file.

Oh no, please not again. First all that WWII stuff and now he refers to our leftist/green government. Ouch.
    This guy just can't get it right , I wish Tiff would do his job.

The only reason Porsche "held back" the CGT is that they wanted a super sportscar which can be driven on a daily basis by almost every potential customer.
    And have you ever compared the Enzo and the CGT at let's say 300 kph? While the CGT drives like on rails, rock solid and stable, the Enzo already starts to get pretty nervous. This is the price you pay for more top speed and adapted aerodynamics, including less downforce and more drag.

"The only reason Porsche "held back" the CGT is that they wanted a super sportscar which can be driven on a daily basis by almost every potential customer."

Then they failed because Ferrari actually made theirs driveable on the street by designing and installing two ride heights. I doubt seriously my CGT (if I take it) will even make it into my garage without badly bottoming out in the driveway. Once in the garage, it's even more doubtful it will be able to go on the lift given P-car dealers have spend $10Ks for special ramps to accomplish this task.

Porsche has been yapping about a 3/4" ride height raising kit, but so far it has been about as forthcoming as a remedy for the Cayenne hesitation deathtrap issue.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM