Crown

Board: Porsche - Taycan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Tesla Roadster

It is not April 1 otherwise I would think this cas was a joke. Very strange cannot be real. Stainless steel electric car? What about the weight?  Listing to the cheering crowd Elon can present a pile of shit and the fanboys still applaud!

JR-550:

It is not April 1 otherwise I would think this cas was a joke. Very strange cannot be real. Stainless steel electric car? What about the weight?  Listing to the cheering crowd Elon can present a pile of shit and the fanboys still applaud!

Same here. This must be a joke, right Smiley

This does look like an April fools joke......

--

Tesla Model S P100d & Model X P90D & 2017 Sept 991.2 GT3. 2019 BMW M850i Convertible. Tesla Model 3 Performance on order. 

Ugly at first. Totally, given the above pics but on the site the rest of the views are interesting.  Certainly different and great specs. Time will tell. Porsche has had some ugly cars (many) which grew on us. Price is certainly on par with any other trucks being sold. Interesting to see it evolve the landscape. I never own trucks because they are silly.  Might as well have fun with it. 
    proud to have seen it on this site first. Thanks guys. Being a car freak has nothing to do with fuel. 

JR-550:

Really can't believe my eyes, looks like something from an 80's cheap sci-fi B movie.. and the site says "order now" Smiley 

What is going to be fun is reading what the Tesla cult boys say about it, the way they are going to rationalise it in their minds is going to be both fascinating and hilarious.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

No need to every rationalize a Porsche buying decision?  Perhaps there are many examples of people making irrational buying choices. Hmmm. Time will tell. Laughing all the way to the bank is sometimes the outcome. To me the whole experience of the world we currently live in makes me optimistic.  We have never had more choices to be irrational. Good problems to have. 

Leawood911:

No need to every rationalize a Porsche buying decision?  Perhaps there are many examples of people making irrational buying choices. Hmmm. Time will tell. Laughing all the way to the bank is sometimes the outcome. To me the whole experience of the world we currently live in makes me optimistic.  We have never had more choices to be irrational. Good problems to have. 

Rationalizing the irrational.

What a pile of s*** Smiley

He disappointed me. 

I was totally expecting something 'different' as he had been saying for months.

Like, I was hoping he would put the bed in the front, and people sit in the rear and driving it like a oil tanker. 

--

I think its fantastic that someone is trying a very different design language. It will be interesting to see how the market reacts to it. 

Most "truck guys" don't need real trucks anyways. And Cyberpunk is cool guys, come on.  

Ramin:

I think its fantastic that someone is trying a very different design language. It will be interesting to see how the market reacts to it. 

Most "truck guys" don't need real trucks anyways. And Cyberpunk is cool guys, come on.  

Pontiac tried that with the Aztec before....................and Pontiac is no more.

This 'thing' doesn't compete with real trucks like the F-series and stuff, but it is actually a decent alternative perhaps to a city boy truck aka Honda Ridgeline, which I have. But the Tesla will also cost quite a bit more.........

--

But Pontiac had the Fiero!! All design is littered with failures. Personally I applaud those who try different thing. Even the Bangle 7 series. smiley

Elon knows how to get press like no other in auto industry. 

I agree in terms of competition. Real work truck guys won't be buying a Tesla anyways. So it might be a smart move for them to not even go after that market. Curious to hear from those in the industry regarding the construction of the exterior body panels. 

...when drugs influence car design....

Incredibly embarrassing for Tesla overall when the execution of the truck is so poor.  Conceptually, it is easy to understand the design brief and objectives, unfortunately, groupthink ruined the process.  

At some point, someone needed to make a stand and vociferously object to this design moving forward.  Unfortunately, the damage is done. However, as posted on RT numerous times, this is typical Musk and part of the reason why I have questioned his leadership role at TSLA.  Instead of being reined in over the last few years, Musk has filled the board and management ranks with obsequious men and women.  

For those not aware, pickup trucks represent the most profitable segment of the U.S. new light vehicle market, followed by crossovers.  Ford, because of the F-150, is the largest luxury vehicle manufacturer in the world, as measured by the number of units sold per annum above $50,000.  Pickup trucks account for approximately 18% of U.S. new car sales this year and even more significantly, light vehicle sales which includes SUVs and crossovers is almost 70% of the new car market.  Tesla is underrepresented in this very important market segment.  

The Big 3 pickups, Ford F-150, Chevrolet/GMC Silverado, and Ram, are highly refined vehicles that are focus grouped to death to meet the expectations of its intended buyers.  This is why trucks today have similar profiles to trucks from fifty years ago; the design simply works.  

Chrysler, over twenty years ago, hired G. Clotaire Rapaille, a social psychology, to help the company develop an understanding of consumers and product demands.  He discovered that consumers who typically purchased SUVs and trucks tended to be a bit insecure-vehicle choices are buried within the reptilian portion of the brain.  They relished a tough, brutal exterior with a comforting interior.  This understanding helped Chrysler develop its highly regarded and successful Ram pickup trucks and expand Jeep's global presence.  

The typical pickup driver tends toward conservatism and is hardly ever design progressive.  Tesla had several challenges, because of limited market acceptance of EVs, let alone unorthodox design.  Tesla, as a company, had only one opportunity to get the formula relatively correct and Musk missed.  Of course, Tesla will sell a few trucks but it will never become a dominant part of its product mix, unlike that of the other U.S. automakers. It will remain a niche product. Just look at the difficulties Toyota, Nissan, and Honda have had gaining traction in this sector over the past couple of decades.  

This writeup, of course, doesn't even address the breakdown in brand equity with a vehicle so unlike any other Tesla.  While attempting to look (Ford) tough, the exterior design looks more like an unfinished high school workshop product.  It appears so rushed to the debut that Tesla didn't even have time to install windshield wipers, exterior door mirrors, or evening badging.  Rivian, on the other hand, conducted numerous focus groups with pickup truck owners and have incorporated what they want in an unintrusive, modern, and progressive design. 

Prediction:  The Big 3 maintain their pickup truck lead even as the market transitions to EVs with Rivian gaining marketshare over Tesla.

Spotted in the CEO parking space outside the Tesla giga-tent...

...early inspiration for the Tesla pickup design? Smiley

I have a feeling that Elon will get a LOT of free publicity, when he unveils the 'REAL' Tesla pickup!

Initial reaction: wow, that thing is really ugly
    Few hours later: This thing is so futuristic, form follow function and the specs are really impressive.
    A day later: I want one! Why? Don't know, but it is just so damn cool and different.

This is yet another polarizing moment and a strike of genius from Tesla. The futuristic and completely out of this world design makes it stand out from everything else and this will make it a huge success. Reading earlier comments here about that other companies like Toyota, Nissan, etc having a hard time competing in the truck business with the big three has a simple answer; they don't deviate enough and the offerings are just like everything else so people don't care and stick with their F-150s.

If you want to be like everybody else, then there are lot's of options out there.

arQqx97A_700w_0.jpg

lukestern:

Initial reaction: wow, that thing is really ugly
    Few hours later: This thing is so futuristic, form follow function and the specs are really impressive.
    A day later: I want one! Why? Don't know, but it is just so damn cool and different.

This is yet another polarizing moment and a strike of genius from Tesla. The futuristic and completely out of this world design makes it stand out from everything else and this will make it a huge success.

It sounds like you will be ordering your new Tesla CyberTruck this weekend... Smiley

82FFA811-A830-496C-A207-A237AF9A62A6.jpeg

...let us know what specifications you have ordered?

0A049A1E-8DC9-4435-A158-2AE0C1242837.jpeg

...how much is to have it painted?

D5C98CD6-0C79-479F-95D4-1D744E52DF70.jpeg

...in just 3 or 4 years you could be driving it to work to show off to your colleagues... Smiley

E2FD2EDD-D309-4700-B432-EEBACE79881E.jpeg

...and taking it on a track-day where it will be indestructible! Smiley

That was en epic post Boxster Coupe GTS winkkiss

I actually have no use for a truck and have never considered one up until now. So even if I want one I will not get one because I have no need for the utility. I'll stick to "normal" cars for now, but do look forward seeing this beast on the streets instead of seeing it in sci-fi movies smiley

Maybe in very rural areas some people might think it is cool. But in most parts of the world this car will be considered a bad joke. Sorry to say... Juts read the car (if ever) will be available in about 2-3 years time.

lukestern:

...This is yet another polarizing moment and a strike of genius from Tesla. The futuristic and completely out of this world design makes it stand out from everything else and this will make it a huge success...

Well, to call it "yet another strike of genius" goes a bit for I think, but I agree with the overall message; Tesla/Musk sees what is wrong or could be done better, and acts (quite polarizing) upon it. In that process, he may run into a shitload of practical problems and issues that he never thought off, but at least he is trying to do things differently. I like that bravery, and I think that is what a lot of people recognize. People may like normality, they will love (and hate)  extremes.

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

I think time will judge this thing in a much more positive light. I don’t need or will ever buy a truck but the concept is brilliant in terms of the exoskeleton and durability. No paint to scratch, never rust (all trucks die this death first).  Ceap to operate and lots of utility. If the numbers look good, and they do, many businesses will buy it because it does not make sense for a business or real truck user to pass up. They would be passing up all those benefits in order to look ordinary. It will be an interesting challenge.  
    pretty gutsy call for a company with zero dollars in the marketing department.  
    calling him names and assuming the company is doomed because of him is really funny and will be one of those things most fun to read in a few years. Keep it coming. 
    And as usual I’m not afraid to be insulted for not siding with the prejudging masses flocking to their herd of comfort and acceptance.  That’s just how I roll because you guys need a little excitement now and then. 

Following is the demographic information on pickup owners in the States.  This is the all important segment of the population Tesla must reach to have any level of sales volume.  Sales in the EU will be extremely limited because this thing is a behemoth considering that it is longer, wider and much taller than even a Rolls-Royce Phantom.  Don’t forget the prototype isn’t even equipped with rear view mirrors which can add close to half a meter in vehicle width; without adding those extended length mirrors one cannot tow a trailer.  Additionally, the Tesla has none of the posh interior features high-end truck purchasers expect like ventilated message seats and myriad heated/cooled cup holders.

Pickup Truck Owner Demographics: F150, Silverado, Sierra, Ram, Tundra

1 year ago

http://www.w3.org/2000/svg"

Here is some information on full-size pickup truck owner demographics from our automotive database. This article helps answer the question, “who buys pickup trucks?” in 2018. Demographics of pickup truck buyers vary a lot from make to make.

Light trucks (and SUVs) absolutely dominate new vehicle sales in the U.S. right now. For every one automobile sold in the U.S., 1.9 trucks and SUVs are sold. Sales in the first half of 2018 are 5.2 million trucks and SUVs compared to 2.8 million automobiles.

Ford F-150 buyer demographics

The Ford F-150 is the single most popular vehicle in the U.S. today and the most-popular vehicle in 44 states. It is outselling the Ram pickup in 2019 by 78%.

Here are the answers to “who buys Ford pickup trucks?” with demographic information on new F-150 owners.

The average age of the new F-150 buyer is 55. It may not be too surprising that about 16% of new Ford F-150 owners are female/84% male. About three-quarters of all new Ford F-150s are purchased by white males, although Hispanic buyers account for 22% of total incremental growth of new F-150 sales from 2010 to 2017.

Despite any TV ads you see with F-150s in a rural or country setting, the vast majority of these new trucks are in large and medium-sized cities.

The average household income of a new Ford F-150 owner is about $82,000 per year. By comparison the median household income in the United States was $61,372 in 2017. (We admit it, we’re comparing two different things. Confused about “average” vs. “median?” Look here.)

If that average household income sounds high, remember for a truck with a base MSRP under $30,000, a 2018 Ford F-150 Platinum Edition with all the bells & whistles and accessories can go for over $74,000!

Chevrolet Silverado owner demographics

The Chevy Silverado is the second most popular pickup truck in the U.S. overall, but in 2019 the Ram is outselling it by about 35%.

When it comes to new Silverado 1500 buyer demographics, the average new Silverado 1500 owner is one year younger than the F-150 owner and the ownership by females or males is almost an exact match to the F-150 owner. New Silverados are just slightly more popular among Hispanic buyers than new F-150s.

The average household income of a new Silverado owner is about $76,000 per year and like the F-150, despite those romantic country images you see in advertising, the majority of new Silverados are owned in large and medium-sized cities.

Ram 1500 pickup truck buyer demographics

The Ram 1500 is the third most popular pickup overall in the U.S. and here are demographics of new Ram 1500 owners. It’s important to note, however, that in 2019 the Ram is outselling the Silverado by about 35%.

The average buyer of a new Ram 1500 is a bit younger than our first two examples, with an average age of 50. New Ram truck owners also skew very slightly higher with females, with female ownership at 19%.

Average household income of new Ram 1500 owners is about $77,000. More new Rams show up in rural settings than the Silverado or F-150, too, with nearly half of Ram 1500s owned in rural or small towns around the U.S.

GMC Sierra owner demographics

The GMC Sierra is the fourth most popular full-size pickup in the U.S. New GMC Sierra owners are a bit upscale compared to owners of its twin, the Silverado. These GMC Sierra owners have an average household income of over $80,000.

New GMC Sierra trucks have the highest percentage of males so far in our truck lineup, at 15%. It is slightly more popular among Hispanic buyers: about 10% of new Sierra owners are Hispanic.

Like the Silverado, new Sierras are more likely to show in cities and towns, not in the country.

Toyota Tundra truck buyer demographics

The Toyota Tundra is Toyota’s full-size pickup and the fifth most popular full-size pickup in the U.S. The Tundra is outselling the Nissan Titan 10:1 in 2019.

Demographics for owners of new Toyota Tundra pickup trucks are more upscale than even the Sierra. Average household income among new Tundra owners is over $83,000 per year. The average age of a new Tundra owner is similar to the other trucks in this article, at 54, but it also has more women owners. Women own 17% of new Tundras. It also skews a little higher among Hispanic owners: 11% of new Tundra owners are Hispanic.

New Toyota Tundras are also the most likely of all trucks in this article to show up in cities and towns, with nearly seven out of 10 Tundras owned in metropolitan areas and their suburbs.

Toyota is one of the “big three” brands of Hispanic market sales along with Nissan and Honda. A recent study by Cox Automotive shows Hispanics account for 6% of total full-size pickup sales so the Tundra is significantly ahead of that.

It seems that the market did not fully appreciate the Tesla CyberTruck launch event, with the share price down 6% and the equity market capitalisation down by $4 billion... Smiley

CBAA7FE0-29D0-4677-961E-2F3D1FD4E101.jpeg

...maybe Tesla should invest a few dollars in a professional marketing department? Smiley

“Elon Musk's net worth plunges $768m in a day after cybertruck fiasco”

Tesla’s chief designer smashed the vehicle’s windows in an attempt to demonstrate their toughness

‘Armour glass' windows on new Tesla Cybertruck break during demonstration

(23 November 2019)

Does the act of someone’s net worth plummeting make an actual sound?

If so, then for Elon Musk it would be the thonk of a metal ball splintering the purportedly unbreakable glass of his long-awaited cybertruck.

Thursday’s unveiling of Tesla’s latest electric vehicle hit a snag when the company’s chief designer smashed the vehicle’s windows while attempting to demonstrate their durability. Tesla’s share price subsequently plummeted 6%, bringing Musk’s personal net worth down by $768m in a single day, according to Forbes.

“It is literally bulletproof to a 9mm handgun,” Musk said of the cybertruck, moments before design chief Franz von Holzhausen went on to demonstrate not once, but twice, that the windows could break because a man threw a ball at them.

“It didn’t go through, that’s the plus side,” Musk said.

Musk had previously described the vehicle as a “really futuristic-like cyberpunk, Blade Runner pickup truck”. But the overall reaction to its design has not been kind, with many laughing at its almost cartoonishly large, video game-like features...

...pension fund managers not impressed... Smiley

I think it is less relevant to predict wether the Tesla truck is a success or not based on historical data and demographic. The Tesla truck is something completely new and different that will mess up the potential type of byers just like we have seen for the other Tesla models where customers come from all over the place. There will even be die hard truckers that will consider this Tesla  truck awesome and just have to get it as well as some tech nerds in silicon valley and everything in between. Also for the European market where trucks to date has had very limited appeal I'm sure there are a few who needs the utility that will get one.

Just by reading around on a few forums there are lot's of people who initially said that "damn this is the ugliest car I ever seen" and I have never ever considered a pick-up and in the next sentence write that they just have pre-ordered one.

The Rivian looks quite ordinary and bland in comparison. Not saying that the Tesla is for everyone, but I'm sure that there will be many people who will prefer it over the alternatives. Anyway lot's of kudos to Tesla for having the guts to be different and not just follow the ordinary and predicable path.

Tesla-Cybertruck-vs-Rivian-R1T.jpg

Someone else is calling your utopian dream bullshit.  

The Cyberelephant In The Room

Photo: Tesla

Photo: Tesla

There are two things we should acknowledge off the bat, even though they’re beside the point. The first is that the Tesla Cybertruck is hideous, of course. That’s blatantly obvious to anyone who sees it. The second is that people don’t “need” pretty design, but even both of those points are academic.

Where I should really start is that Tesla makes cars but it doesn’t really work like a car company. It’s no longer a startup, but it’s still run with a startup mentality. That is, the Tesla model seems less interested in selling cars to make a profit to keep selling cars so much as it is attracting investment on the idea that it is a company that produces the future of the auto industry. Hype is fundamental to the business. Tesla is built on hype. It needs investors to believe it can be more than it is, whereas, say, GM or Ford work to convince investors they still are what they are and will continue to be, more or less.

The way Tesla works is by securing investment. Speaking even of deposits alone, Bloomberg noted last year (in an article titled Tesla Doesn’t Burn Fuel, It Burns Cash) that the company was “sitting on a staggering $985 million in customer deposits as of the end of the first quarter,” picking up deposits even for cars and tech that didn’t yet exist, from $3,000 for “Full Self Driving capability,” to $20,000 for the Tesla Semi. And earlier this year Bloomberg clarified again just what the hype means for Tesla’s survival, in an article noting that customers have been having a hard time getting their refundable deposits back:

Customer deposits are categorized as liabilities on Tesla’s balance sheet, meaning it’s effectively served as an interest-free form of borrowing.

“Similar to using launches of a car two or three years before it actually hits the road, and using that as a source of crowd funding, they’ve done that with deposits,” said Jeffrey Osborne, an analyst at Cowen & Co. who has the equivalent of a sell rating on Tesla.

Tesla gets its deposits, all its investments by getting people to believe in it, and to believe in the idea of Tesla more than the reality of Tesla. That’s why its driver-assistance technology is called Autopilot and why GM’s is called SuperCruise, even though they’re both glorified versions of cruise control. The whole premise is to over-promise.

That is what Elon does. He promises battery swapping.

He promises highways lined with giant powerdicks.

He promises cross-country drives with no drivers.

He promises robot snakes to charge your car.

He promises a $35,000 Tesla Model 3.

He promises a new Roadster.

He promises a Semi Truck.

And now he’s promising a “Cybertruck,” just daring us to say that it’s bullshit. Even with the name. Even with the I just learned 3D rendering this week body styling.

Debating the points of the truck are pointless. Elon says it will cost just under $40,000 and have hundreds of miles of range and a cool tent! I love a tent. I love sleeping in them, when they are real, and not just renders by a company that has a better track record of not making what it says it will.

The Cybertruck’s ideas are fine ideas. But again, they’re academic until we actually see the thing in showrooms; showrooms, I must point out, which have been grossly mistreated by Tesla’s business style.

Is it ugly? Again, of course it is. But we don’t really need our cars to be pretty. The Cybertruck reminds me of those weird triangle-shaped electric cars of the 1970s, ones that operated in an alternate universe where people didn’t buy into the auto industry’s bullshit and just bought the most utilitarian vehicle possible.

We don’t really need our pickup trucks at all, really. All the air-hauling pickup buyers would probably be better served even with this PS2-looking-ass Tesla. I hope they buy it. Why not hope? What else do we even have to go on right now?

Looks like they got about 200k pre-orders in for the Tesla truck the first 24h. Not that bad if it's an accurate figure.

lukestern:

Looks like they got about 200k pre-orders in for the Tesla truck the first 24h. Not that bad if it's an accurate figure.

Idealist dreams on the cheap.   Only $100 as the deposit or an average check at a brewpub or craft cocktail lounge.   The important number is the conversion to firm orders and delivery.   At this point it’s mere pipe dreams but something you can convince yourself is materially significant.  

I think its cool.....its different and polarising

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM