Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Bye bye E63 S AMG

I still love the E63S but it has to go, my wife complaints all the time that it is too difficult to park (length), that it doesn't look "cool" (for her) and that it doesn't have enough luggage room (which is kind of true).

My Mercedes sales guy made us an offer we couldn't refuse, so we just switched to a new AMG, this one:

2019-11-20_11-12-47.jpg

15742451000702019-11-20_11-14-27.jpg

Mercedes GLC 63S AMG Facelift, incl. the new MBUX system.

Car is brand-new, dealer stock, sales guy needed a sale before the year ends, so he even threw in a new set of winter wheels and took the E63 S back at his own cost (lease would have lasted another 18 months). 

The GLC is fully loaded with all the driving assist systems available (not that I really needed or wanted it), switchable AMG performance exhaust (important!), AMG Driver's Package (Vmax 280 kph), Burmester sound and the high end infotainment system (MBUX). It even has an electrically retracting tow hitch, just in case I want to transport my Performante on a trailer. Smiley

Next year, the big service and warranty extension would have been due for the E63S, so we "saved" at least 2500 EUR. Also, we are getting some money back from the lease company because of the lower mileage (car has 18k km only but it was supposed to have 25k km by now). 

The (two years) lease is around 400 EUR cheaper per month, not that it matters because my wife really wanted to get rid of the E63S. 

Personally, I cannot say I care (too) much because while I loved the E63S, I really used it mostly for my daily commute and some weekend driving with the family, nothing really exciting or important. 

One of the reasons I didn't fight my wife about this is the fact that Mercedes apparently reduced the exhaust sound of the E63S in two engine software updates. Only when you fully accelerate, the exhaust sounds nice, otherwise it is (almost) completely muted now. Smiley The GLC 63S AMG facelift (with particulate filter) has a very nice V8 sound in the lower rev range, very similar to my wife's C63S Cab, so this was another reason why I agreed to switch cars. At higher revs however, the sound is pretty much muted but this is how all AMG cars are right now.

I am going to miss the interior of the E63S with the Performance seats (which are very very good, highly recommendable) but I also have to admit that I really missed having a SUV. I realized that after I drove a X5 rental a short while ago.

My wife needs a SUV for her skiing and winter driving, so I get it why she didn't like the E63 (although I have to say that this car was very good in winter time). Also, she isn't a fan of sedans or station wagons, so I get it.

GLC will stay only two years with us and then her C63 S Cab and the GLC go, making room for a 992 Turbo S Cab (or something similar). I may even keep the GLC as a daily driver or I get an EV for my daily commute, we'll see.

Kids will have their own cars by then, no need for a big car anymore. 

Why no G63 for example? (I know some of you would ask) Simple: First, it was really an offer from our sales guy, nothing I initiated. Second, the G63 has over a year delivery time (no kidding) and it would also cost much more than the GLC. The GLC is also OK for me and my business because while it is a SUV, it is a "small" one and nowadays this is really important because of the many SUV haters out there. Big SUVs get a lot of hate, sad but true.

The new GLC 63S AMG is going to arrive end of this month at the dealership and I will pick it up shortly afterwards.

Expect a few photos and some short driving report. 

We chose this specific car because it is "stealth" (color, etc.). 

The facelift has been reviewed at 0-100 kph in 3.6 seconds and 0-200 kph in 13.6 seconds, which is in my opinion sensational for a SUV. So while this is no G63 or Urus, I will certainly enjoy this car. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

Re: Bye bye E63 S AMG

Probably the last chance, or close to it, of getting a “proper” unmuffled AMG! An associate has offered me his year old AMG G63S, pre facelift but has all the bells and whistles. I’ll probably be sensible for once as it would mean parting company with our Boxster GTS, not sure if I want a sledge hammer to replace a scalpel either and running costs would be massive compared with the Boxster too. 

--

Porsche Boxster 981 GTS Carrara white / VW Golf GTI 5dr DSG Tornado Red

Congrats, Germany must be the only country in the world were you pull of a deal like this. Have fun with the GLC

I need to find back the discussion when we said no chance to keep this car till the end of the lease indecision

not sure about the GLC, it is probably going to not last very long as well indecision

enjoy it, this thing looks fast and interesting for its size. Probably the best mid size SUV available. 

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual, 991 GT3 2014(sold)

Cayenne GTS 2014

the-missile:

I need to find back the discussion when we said no chance to keep this car till the end of the lease indecision

I was thinking the same . I remember RC asking for opinions when choosing the E and to me it was clear he would not keep the E for a very long time . It does not fit him Smiley

Anyway, nice to see a new car on the forum , gives some food for thoughts Smiley I actually like this GLC .

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm -- 991.2 GT3 RS 

JR-550:

Congrats, Germany must be the only country in the world were you pull of a deal like this. Have fun with the GLC

Congrats Christian. 

As JR-550 said, I can't even begin to imagine such a deal happening in Belgium. Not to mention lease rates you're getting are insane. I wish I lived in Germany for that reason only. 

RC:

The facelift has been reviewed at 0-100 kph in 3.6 seconds and 0-200 kph in 13.6 seconds, which is in my opinion sensational for a SUV. So while this is no G63 or Urus, I will certainly enjoy this car. 

Congratulations! Nice smooth design from Mercedes. Impressive performance figures too. I have to confess I have never owned a Mercedes (hard to believe, I know Smiley) so have no clue where this fits in the range - presumably what used to be the M Class Smiley. Off to their website now....Smiley

crayphile:
    RC:

Congratulations! Nice smooth design from Mercedes. Impressive performance figures too. I have to confess I have never owned a Mercedes (hard to believe, I know Smiley) so have no clue where this fits in the range - presumably what used to be the M Class Smiley. Off to their website now....Smiley

no M class. M class is GLE.

this is the size of C class on higher suspension much more like Q5 size.

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

Cayenne GTS 2014

Very likeable AMG. Was on my shortlist too, but went for a G(500) instead.

Fit for purpose, enjoy! 

Thanks, guys. 😎

It was my wife's decision, I would have kept the E63 S but didn't really care much as long as I get to have a "cool" and fun daily driver. 😉

As to "good" lease deals: There are so many good deals right now, almost got my son a new Polo GTi with 200 hp and DSG for 95 EUR a month, no initial payment needed. Amazing offers, especially when the year ends because dealerships have to meet certain sales figures.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

The GLC is quite nice, but I simply can't get over how ugly the interior is, especially the screens 

I actually hated the new MB interior so much, when I call for car service, I specifically asked for anything but S-class, or Mercedes for that matters. I much prefer a 7.

--

Many congrats Christian to you & wife kiss

RC:

Thanks, guys. 😎

It was my wife's decision, I would have kept the E63 S but didn't really care much as long as I get to have a "cool" and fun daily driver. 😉

As to "good" lease deals: There are so many good deals right now, almost got my son a new Polo GTi with 200 hp and DSG for 95 EUR a month, no initial payment needed. Amazing offers, especially when the year ends because dealerships have to meet certain sales figures.

How  is that even possible ? That offer equals to 1K per year for a 30k car Smiley

Whoopsy:

The GLC is quite nice, but I simply can't get over how ugly the interior is, especially the screens 

I actually hated the new MB interior so much, when I call for car service, I specifically asked for anything but S-class, or Mercedes for that matters. I much prefer a 7.

Even the exteriors are a bit off-kilter.  The current GLE's exterior is clearly designed by committee since the front end of the vehicle is massive and imposing.  Looking at the rear, the thin taillamp are a bit feminine and too dainty for the rest of the vehicle's design language.  Often mistake the new GLE for an Acura crossover, if seen from behind.  

Whoopsy:

I rented a basic GLC recently, drives quite nice especially the steering is very precise.  But the base seats at least were very flat, you slide around a lot.  And the real off-putting thing is the column shifter, reminds me of these pieces of American auto history...Smiley

A55125D1-B95B-4502-8AEA-A042C683FFD3.jpeg

--

2017 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2019 Porsche 911 Turbo

amazon:
    RC:

Thanks, guys. 😎

How  is that even possible ? That offer equals to 1K per year for a 30k car Smiley

Make no mistake: Great lease deals are possible but not for the cars in very high demand.

This GLC63 S is fully loaded with all the assist/entertainment/safety systems from Mercedes but it lacks a panoramic roof and the performance seats. The interior color is also a bit dull...black. This is a car already produced and the dealership wanted to sell it this year for fiscal reasons and apparently this also has to do with some sort of factory bonus if they reach a certain sales goal. There is always a reason why they offer these deals.

VW lease deals? Many of them are amazing right now, especially Golf deals because the new Golf just showed up and VW still seems to have tons of "old" Golf GTi TCR in stock. It seems this special edition model didn't find too many customers.

BMW offers good deals over here too but again only for cars which aren't too high in demand.

Also, you can get some pretty awesome deals for US cars right now because most of the dealer stock cars are without particulate filter, they had to be registered to the dealerships and they are now sold brand-new at very low prices. Lease deals are OK too but buying makes more sense. A 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT, full loaded, for 55k EUR, EU version with full 2+2 years warranty, a real bargain. Challenger R/T is around 42k, Hellcat Widebody around 78k.

Just wait for the Taycan and 992 GT models to show up and I bet there will be great lease offers for the 992 Carrera as well. My wife is actually counting on that. Smiley

--

4trac:
    Whoopsy:

I rented a basic GLC recently, drives quite nice especially the steering is very precise.  But the base seats at least were very flat, you slide around a lot.  And the real off-putting thing is the column shifter, reminds me of these pieces of American auto history...Smiley

I can't even get to those 2 items. The big giant ugly screen already put me off so much I have no more interest.

--

Nice one RC ! The GLC is my favorite MB suv, with the exception of the G. I actually see a 63 in similar spec to yours often in my daily commute and always think how great it looks and how I’d definitely go for one. 

Whoopsy:
    4trac:
    Whoopsy:

I can't even get to those 2 items. The big giant ugly screen already put me off so much I have no more interest.

I'm not a fan of Mercedes interiors as well but I really enjoyed the E class interior and the dual screen setup. 

That display looking like a tablet stuck to the dashboard in the GLC or even C class isn't really my thing though but the new MBUX system is quite advanced and fast and the display is finally a touch screen, also the resolution is excellent as well. 

However, when I get a car, I get it solely based on driving fun criteria and the GLC63 S is certainly one of these cars which provide a lot of fun, especially since it is a small(er) SUV with a very powerful engine. 

Also, why should I lie about it: The two software updates for the E63 S muted the sound so much, that I simply got angry. The car sounds like crap in the lower rev range, only in the higher rev range it still sounds good and those popping noises in Sport Plus mode have stayed, something I really never cared about.

The facelifted GLC 63 S AMG sounds at idle exactly like my wife's C63 S AMG and this is a big plus. Even at lower rev figures, this thing sounds like a big mean V8, much better than my E63 S at idle or lower rev figures. Sad but true.

I just hope that Mercedes AMG will leave the sound of the cars with particulate filter alone, there is no real reason why they should mute them even further. The AMG sound engineers did a wonderful job here (I had the chance to listen to a GLC 63S AMG pre-facelift compared to the facelift and the pre-facelift exhaust sound was definitely louder but due to the deeper V8 sound of the facelift model, it sounds better), it would be a pity to mess this up again.

--

Just crazy...

Blueflame

11CA90D7-5F02-4FE5-8712-62B16697ADA7.jpeg

blueflame:

Just crazy...

Blueflame

11CA90D7-5F02-4FE5-8712-62B16697ADA7.jpeg

Smiley Absolutely crazy. I will probably get one just for fun. Smiley Only problem is garage space. 

--

This is the actual car, I'll be picking it up next Wednesday. Like I said before, not the best color/rims/interior option but car is otherwise fully loaded with all the Mercedes Benz gadgetry (assist/entertainment systems).

$_20-16.jpg
    $_20-15.jpg
    $_20-14.jpg
    $_20-13.jpg
    $_20-12.jpg
    $_20-11.jpg
    $_20-19.jpg

$_20-18.jpg
    $_20-17.jpg

--

2,000Euros for 2 years ownership indecision so VW is happy to take a bath on these cars. crazy.

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

Cayenne GTS 2014

black on black is a classic RC. kiss

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

Cayenne GTS 2014

the-missile:

black on black is a classic RC. kiss

Thank you but I would have loved a little bit of color (stitching, whatever) inside the car. Smiley

Dealer had only one car in stock, there were other three new cars available in the whole Germany (official dealers) but  they were blocked as rentals in the system, so my dealer couldn't get access to them. Smiley

They also offered me a white coupe with very nice interior stitching and stripes on the seats, also performance seats (which I really wanted because they are great) but I just hate SUVs with coupe form factor. Smiley Also, this car would have actually been more expensive and me and my wife don't like the coupe anyway, so what for?!

Small problem now: Car will be delivered next Wednesday on summer tires, the winter wheels are on back-order and arrive a couple of days later. Car needs to be registered in November for the dealer/sales guy to get his bonus, so it wasn't an end of the year thing, I seem to have understood it wrong. Smiley Let's just hope it doesn't snow next week. Smiley

--

RC - Is your next commuter car a MACAN EV?  I'm still waiting to see the Cayenne Coupe. It's not scheduled to arrive at my Dealer until next March.

--

2016 Porsche 991 Carrera GTS  Black with AeroKit Cup Package,  2017 Porsche Cayenne Platinum  Purpurite Metallic, New York

bobr:

RC - Is your next commuter car a MACAN EV?  I'm still waiting to see the Cayenne Coupe. It's not scheduled to arrive at my Dealer until next March.

No, I don't think so. 

Actually, I don't have a clue what kind of daily commute car I will drive in three, four or five years.

Depends on prices, lease offers, the public "vibe" here in Germany, government incentives, fuel prices and many factors more. 

All I know is that in three years from now, I will still drive my Performante. Smiley

--

RC:

I'm not a fan of Mercedes interiors as well but I really enjoyed the E class interior and the dual screen setup. 

That display looking like a tablet stuck to the dashboard in the GLC or even C class isn't really my thing though but the new MBUX system is quite advanced and fast and the display is finally a touch screen, also the resolution is excellent as well. 

However, when I get a car, I get it solely based on driving fun criteria and the GLC63 S is certainly one of these cars which provide a lot of fun, especially since it is a small(er) SUV with a very powerful engine. 

Also, why should I lie about it: The two software updates for the E63 S muted the sound so much, that I simply got angry. The car sounds like crap in the lower rev range, only in the higher rev range it still sounds good and those popping noises in Sport Plus mode have stayed, something I really never cared about.

The facelifted GLC 63 S AMG sounds at idle exactly like my wife's C63 S AMG and this is a big plus. Even at lower rev figures, this thing sounds like a big mean V8, much better than my E63 S at idle or lower rev figures. Sad but true.

I just hope that Mercedes AMG will leave the sound of the cars with particulate filter alone, there is no real reason why they should mute them even further. The AMG sound engineers did a wonderful job here (I had the chance to listen to a GLC 63S AMG pre-facelift compared to the facelift and the pre-facelift exhaust sound was definitely louder but due to the deeper V8 sound of the facelift model, it sounds better), it would be a pity to mess this up again.

As you said, the C and below class gets an odd tablet stuck there on the dash, weird look. But the E and S's dual screen set up imo is even worse. 2 giant slab of nothing next to each other, when off, it's like hmm Mercedes designers, didi you forget to design something for a 2 foot square rectangle? 

At least put some style in it, round the corners, make them offset to each other, change the level, make it non-rectangular in shape, or whatever. 

--

Have see a few Cayenne Coupes in the flesh and it actually looks really good. Seems like the most resolved of the Coupes vs BMW and MB. Big issue though is lack of sun-roof as I actually happy to like driving with the sunroof open when the weather is nice, so that is a real drag vs the standard Cayenne. But it certainly looks good (although the rear spoiler is rather massive when extended)....

Yes, the Cayenne coupe looks really good. In profile the pointed nose combines well with the sloping rear, more than in other SUV coupes that the coupe design looks like an afterthought.

I saw one in Lava Orange with Sport Design Paket with black painted accents and it looked really special.

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    782371 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442976 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263538 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    262005 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    86063 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6048 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881751 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    820106 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM