Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

[2019] Aston Martin DBX (Aston Martin's first SUV)

Aston Martin DBX

DBX, Aston Martin’s first luxury SUV, is commencing on an extensive testing programme, being put through its paces along a demanding Welsh Rally stage, a nod to Aston Martins’ new St Athan production facility in the Vale of Glamorgan.

The unique nature of DBX in the Aston Martin range means it requires a dedicated test programme; one that features new processes, procedures and standards that reflect its all-purpose role. So, while it will perform with the verve and poise of a true Aston Martin, its dynamic envelope has to extend into areas previously off-limits to the marque’s sporting roots. Naturally this includes impressive multi-terrain and towing capabilities as befits a state-of-the-art SUV.

Though simulation is an essential part of DBX’s early development phase, initial testing in Wales signifies the start of ‘real world’ testing, in which the SUV will be subjected to a punishing regime that will ultimately see development prototypes of the all-new machine tackle the world’s harshest environments, from the frozen Arctic and scorching deserts of the Middle East to high Alpine passes and the high-speed demands of the German autobahnen and Nürburgring Nordschleife.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe4xxgVifiM

Re: [2019] Aston Martin DBX (Aston Martin's first SUV)

enlightened

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual, 991 GT3 2014(sold)

Cayenne GTS 2014

The proportions of this thing don't look good. Maybe Aston should focus on fixing their Rapide situation. Or, just leave the sports cars to 'Aston' and rebrand the 4 door and SUV to Lagonda and not have to be tied down to the Aston aesthetic. 

Enmanuel:

The proportions of this thing don't look good. Maybe Aston should focus on fixing their Rapide situation. Or, just leave the sports cars to 'Aston' and rebrand the 4 door and SUV to Lagonda and not have to be tied down to the Aston aesthetic. 

I'm not sure where Aston is headed but the latest series of vehicles are not what one would expected from this company.  Unfortunately, its new mindset is on display in its current adverts in the States featuring a young lady with a prominent septum ring.  Guess one is too old to find that attractive since it resembles glistening snot.

When will car makers learn to understand that although it may seem appealing to give an SUV the same front as their sports cars for brand recognition purposes, it might be more successful to design an all new car with the same design LANGUAGE but not the same design... 

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

How is porsche better? Cayenne bears the porsche DNA like this this thing bears the BD whatever DNA. Its all the the same shit as far as SUVs are concerned, even bentley. If you want a luxury truck get a range rover

Et tu, Brute? enlightened

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Upsa:

How is porsche better? Cayenne bears the porsche DNA like this this thing bears the BD whatever DNA. Its all the the same shit as far as SUVs are concerned, even bentley. If you want a luxury truck get a range rover

Saw the new Rolls Royce Cullinan live last weekend (two cars, one was still camouflaged for whatever reason Smiley). Looks better live than I thought, pretty impressive SUV. Not a fan of the interior though, I expected a bit more (letting aside the wood stuff I don't like anyway).

In retrospect, I am happy I didn't get the new Cayenne Turbo. I love the performance, I love the interior but I cannot get used to the boring exterior. Too much...oops...better said: not enough. The more I see the new Cayenne on the road, the less I like it. Smiley 

Yes, from a design and looks point of view, the current Range Rover Sport (or not) SVR is the best looking SUV, especially from the front but also the side line. I also like the Urus a lot, for those extroverted people who want to impress. Smiley The new Audi Q8 also looks pretty good live, didn't expect it. I also like how the RR Velar looks but the engines used so far are not really great (SVR should change that) and it looks a little bit like a station wagon.

All those new SUVs have one big advantage for manufacturers: They can be "electrified" much easier than regular cars.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmW-V8oplW4

I hate to say it - but this suv doesn’t do anything for me. It kind of doesn’t look special enough. 

--

Tesla Model S P100d & Model X P90D & 2017 Sept 991.2 GT3. 2019 BMW M850i Convertible. Tesla Model 3 Performance on order. 

that's the problem when companies insist on incorporating traditional design language into mainstream platforms

how much of an Aston or a lambo look can you fit into an suv design

while I think the urus looks the best of the bunch, I was underwhelmed when I saw it on the street. I thought souped up x6m

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

I always also think Dubai airport which is dxb indecision

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

intouch1:

that's the problem when companies insist on incorporating traditional design language into mainstream platforms

Could not agree more, specially for sportcar makers where their company design image elements do not translate well at all to big square SUVs...

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

The only really nice "sporty" SUV is the Urus in my opinion but I kind of have the feeling that Lamborghini is going to ruin it's design with the facelift. 

The Q8 is also very nice, saw a Q8 in white with black accents...it looked spectacular.

All the other SUVs on the market suck big time, maybe with the exception of various Range Rover models, especially the RR and RR Sport (maybe even the Velar but I hate the exhaust pipes design of the SVR version).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

Great interior but it looks like you could fit more in the boot of a rapide than in the boot of this one (and that's saying something!!). 

These smaller SUVs are too big for what they are on the outside and tiny on the inside. They're just booster seats. Buy an M5 or something. 

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

Mithras:

Great interior but it looks like you could fit more in the boot of a rapide than in the boot of this one (and that's saying something!!). 

These smaller SUVs are too big for what they are on the outside and tiny on the inside. They're just booster seats. Buy an M5 or something. 

After owning an E63 S for almost two years now, I think I'd prefer a SUV for a family of four. We couldn't even drive to the airport with our luggage (two larger suitcases, two smaller ones and three carry-ons) but when we returned from the airport, we had a BMW X5 rental (driver who was supposed to pick us up mixed up the date and couldn't come) and in that X5 rental, there was enough room for everything. As a family car, SUVs and station wagons make more sense but station wagons are often ugly (with the exception of the RS6 maybe), so... Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

I totally agree about needing something bigger for a full family. Our X5 holds a load of stuff. Our ML before that did as well. But really not much more than our e-class wagon before it. But the boot of this Aston, like the Macan or any number of smaller SUVs (even if they are mid-sized on the outside) are no bigger than a midsized sedan. In fact the Macan's boot is smaller than a 5 series sedan.

So all you're buying is a booster seat. 

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

Looks like a Lexus or Hyundai.......should of been better

--

Tesla Model S P100d & Model X P90D & 2017 Sept 991.2 GT3. 2019 BMW M850i Convertible. Tesla Model 3 Performance on order. 

43E6389F-E544-4775-B50D-88D2CD8FB244.jpeg

EnglishManInNY:

Looks like a Lexus or Hyundai.......should of been better

Agreed. The rear is very bulbous and the performance way off that of the Urus although the DBX  is cheaper.

OMG, this thing is sooo ugly. enlightened

Just look at the rear, unbelievable. mail

If this is the future of Aston Martin, the future doesn‘t look bright.

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

Rossi:

Agree.  The previous generation of Aston-Martins were achingly beautiful.  The current crop is subpar, at best, and less desirable even if the overall car is improved.  

CGX car nut:
    Rossi:

Agree.  The previous generation of Aston-Martins were achingly beautiful.  The current crop is subpar, at best, and less desirable even if the overall car is improved.  

Yup this looks very bad, even feels dated already. 
    I personally like the design of the vantage, and the new mid engines cars (Valhalla, Vanquish, Valkyrie) are looking superb. But this is just horrid. 

Oh my...a giant blob, no thanks.

--

997.2 4S / BMW X5 40e / Donkervoort GT 

Enmanuel:
    CGX car nut:
    Rossi:

Yup this looks very bad, even feels dated already. 
    I personally like the design of the vantage, and the new mid engines cars (Valhalla, Vanquish, Valkyrie) are looking superb. But this is just horrid. 

However, it looks incredible compared with the new Tesla pickup.  

Aston Martin secures $150 million from bond issue...

(25 September 2019)

LONDON -- Aston Martin said it had raised $150 million from a bond issue, with the option to raise another $100 million if order targets are met, to bolster its cash in an uncertain trading environment.

CEO Andy Palmer said the financing would address concerns in the market about the company's balance sheet.

"Taking this debt on -- short-term debt -- is the correct tool to completely remove that thesis that we don't have sufficient liquidity," Palmer said on Wednesday.

"In every substantial and material way, this ensures that we can get through to DBX in spite of what all of those global uncertainties might throw at us," he said.

The DBX, Aston Martin's first utility vehicle, will be unveiled in December. Deliveries will start at the end of the second quarter of next year, Palmer said.

CFO Mark Wilson said the automaker expected economic headwinds and uncertainty to continue. "What we have announced today is a cost and time-effective structure that immediately strengthens our liquidity in the short term and the option to draw further funding as we successfully execute the plan," he said.

The main tranche comprises 12 percent notes due in 2022, while the additional notes could be issued under the same terms if permitted or could be issued as unsecured notes with an interest rate of 15 percent.

Aston Martin slumped to a first-half loss in July, as sales fell short of its original expectations. Shares in the company, which listed in London in autumn 2018 at a price of 19 pounds ($24), closed at 5.75 pounds on Tuesday.

Broker AJ Bell said Aston Martin was known for its high-end prices and that situation now also applied to its debt.

"These rates are very high and are a major red flag that investors consider the car company to be a high-risk entity," it said.

Analysts at Jefferies, who said they had expected the company to raise 200 million pounds ($249 million) at a rate of 10 percent, said it was an "expensive short-term de-risking."

Aston Martin's debt raise feels like "kicking the can down the road but should de-stress liquidity," they said.  "It also provides needed breathing room to execute the DBX launch, although a high order rate should reduce the need to raise more debt."

Deeper into junk

On Wednesday, ratings agency Standard & Poor's cut Aston Martin's credit rating deeper into junk territory amid concerns over the UK's exit from the European Union and threat of U.S. tariffs.

The ratings agency trimmed its rating by one notch to CCC+, which reflects substantial risks and takes it close to default territory after a faster-than-expected cash burn this year. The outlook is negative.

The negative outlook reflects ongoing pressure on profits, a high cash burn, and very high leverage in the face of heightened risks linked to a potential no-deal Brexit and new tariffs on car imports threatened by the United States.

Standard & Poor's said it believed Aston Martin had reached the ceiling in terms of the amount of term debt and cash interest burden it could sustainably service.

The agency said the DBX is critical to its ambitious growth strategy and ongoing creditworthiness.

Aston Martin said it will need to secure 1,400 orders for the utility vehicle by the middle of next year to release the second tranche of debt at 12 percent. If it misses the target, the tranche could be issued as unsecured notes, with a coupon of 15 percent, it said.

"We haven't formally started trading the car yet -- it hasn't been unveiled -- but with early indications with private viewings we think that eminently doable," Palmer said of the target.

Aston Martin said demand for its special vehicles remained strong, with the Valkyrie hypercar selling out and excess customer demand for the mid-engined Valhalla.

As of July 1, the company had 806 orders in production.

Aston Martin said it expected to meet current market consensus expectations for 2019, despite continuing pressure on sales volumes, subject to adjustments to reflect the new bonds.

Analysts expect the company to report net revenue of 1.1 billion pounds ($1.4 billion) and adjusted core earnings of 208 million pounds ($349 million), according to a company-complied consensus dated Sept. 10.

Link: https://www.autonews.com/automakers-suppliers/aston-martin-secures-150-million-bond-issue

Smiley

I am really a big SUV fan, I like SUVs, always did. This thing is just ugly, I would never get one. For me, Aston Martin was always building beautiful and timeless designed cars but this "thing" is a monstrosity nobody really asked for. 

Especially the rear is just...how to put it...shockingly ugly. 

--

Is Bangle now working for Aston Martin?

--

The more I see it, the more I hate it. Unbelievable the rear ever got a green light for production. heart

--

997.2 4S / BMW X5 40e / Donkervoort GT 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    762927 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435622 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260645 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257663 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80974 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5322 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872526 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807939 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM