Crown

Board: Porsche - Taycan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Welcome to the new Taycan Forum!

schmoell:

Germany and some car makers are investing heavily in Hydrogen, especially for use in commercial vehicles like trucks. Biggest problem (as far as I know) is efficiency, which very low compared to batteries and diesel. 

Yep, trucks...makes sense.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

Tomorrow I'll be in the new Experience Center at Hockenheim for some Taycan event and I guess that there will be  some people who are very familiar with the car. So, if you have any open question, just let me know and I'll be happy to get them answered. 

Cheers, Rick

Rick, I would like your impressions about (1) does the car feel “heavy” as compared to a 911?, and (2) what are your impressions about the “manufactured” interior sound option?

Thanks...

Wonderbar:

Rick, I would like your impressions about (1) does the car feel “heavy” as compared to a 911?, and (2) what are your impressions about the “manufactured” interior sound option?

Thanks...

What an amazing car !

>> (1) does the car feel “heavy” as compared to a 911?,
    the car is very agile; rear wheel steering and chassis control do wonders. It's not comparable to a 911 though. Taking corners quite fast will result in screaming tires and then heavy understeer. I couldn't find out max lat g, but it's enough to make a passenger motion sick after a few laps. Crazy what Porsche can do with a 2,4t car

>> (2) what are your impressions about the “manufactured” interior sound option?
    You are probably referring to what Porsche calls the "Porsche Electric Sport Sound", which is a digitally processed version of the electric engine sound. You can hear it inside the car *and* from the outside (couldn't find out if they have loudspeaker pointing outside, but would think so). It's available in Sport and Sport+ mode (or via some configuration)
    I have to admit, that my initial thought was that this is the most silly thing I'd want in a car, but then I actually liked it, because it gives you an audio feedback about the engine. The sound is hard to describe; it's like an electric engine toned down several octaves,  has some growl to it but also some of the hissing elements; the instructors call it the "millennium falcon sound" because the cars sounds pretty much like that space ship.

will write down some more of my impression in the next days... after I've sold my Tesla Smiley

Cheers
    Rick

schmoell:
    Wonderbar:

Thanks...

What an amazing car !

the car is very agile; rear wheel steering and chassis control do wonders. It's not comparable to a 911 though. Taking corners quite fast will result in screaming tires and then heavy understeer. I couldn't find out max lat g, but it's enough to make a passenger motion sick after a few laps. Crazy what Porsche can do with a 2,4t car

>> (2) what are your impressions about the “manufactured” interior sound option?
    You are probably referring to what Porsche calls the "Porsche Electric Sport Sound", which is a digitally processed version of the electric engine sound. You can hear it inside the car *and* from the outside (couldn't find out if they have loudspeaker pointing outside, but would think so). It's available in Sport and Sport+ mode (or via some configuration)
    I have to admit, that my initial thought was that this is the most silly thing I'd want in a car, but then I actually liked it, because it gives you an audio feedback about the engine. The sound is hard to describe; it's like an electric engine toned down several octaves,  has some growl to it but also some of the hissing elements; the instructors call it the "millennium falcon sound" because the cars sounds pretty much like that space ship.

will write down some more of my impression in the next days... after I've sold my Tesla Smiley

Cheers
    Rick

We already know that Porsche is an expert is defying physics SmileySmileySmiley There is quite a list of cars that they managed to make the weight disappeared..........

I would say it sits right in between a 911 and a Panamera in handling. Just as they had intended to position it. 

--

schmoell:
    Wonderbar:

Thanks...

What an amazing car !

Cheers
    Rick

That sounds like a successful test drive I’m certain I would feel the same. And don’t worry about mentioning Tesla as long as it is to announce it’s sale in favor of the Porsche. 😝 

According to my Porsche dealer the Taycan production is delayed by 8-10 weeks. Apparently the production is really slow. There are rumours this is caused by the paint line. At the moment the car body’s are send to Leipzig were they are painted and then send back to Zuffenhausen. Has somebody else got some more info? 

As mentioned above I had been invited to the brand-new Porsche Experience Center at Hockenheim for driving the Taycan. I've watched some of the online reviews and my expectations were rather low, esp with regards to interior space and the weight. So here is what I learned.

We were a small group, about 7 customers + company + a dog. After having a superb lunch, while watching a trackday, we got a one-hour introduction into the Taycan, e-mobility and everything.

Here is a view from the restaurant:

restaurant.png

This presentation wasn't too technical, but  I learned a couple of things. One being that you can order a larger battery for the 4s (83,7kWh instead of 79,2 kWh), that you can home-charge at 11kW only (22kW update is coming), and that the two motors will be disengaged with some kind of freewheel while coasting. Unfortunately, no one could explain the details.

Then  we got an instructor, an hour time and the track. But let's start with the car. 

car.png

The Taycan is big, more than 4,9m long, almost 2m wide (without mirrors) but only 1,3m high, which is a tiny bit higher than a 992. I think that this and the low front of the car makes the Taycan appear a lot smaller than it actually is. It is a very beautiful car with a strong, modern, but different presence. 
    The front trunk is rather small, rear trunk is no space wonder either, but at least the rear seats are foldable.

trunk.png
    Seating position in the front is as good as it can be. If you like sitting in a more recent 911, you'll feel like home.

The biggest surprise for me is the backseats. Although the car is so low, even my son (1,95m) can comfortably sit in the back without any compromise in the front. Only downside is, that the head will easily touch the roof, when you lean towards the door. Porsche has built what they call a "foot garage", a spacing in the battery pack to place your feet and I did not expect it to work that good.

son.png

When discussing other ELVs here, some RT members like to point out, that these cars are "gadgets on wheels". Well, the Taycan is the Gadget-King. The car we had featured at least 5 displays with a gazillion options. Most of those displays have touch feedback, meaning that you'll feel a mechanical sensation in your finger-tips when successfully hitting a button. The lower display in the middle serves as a touchpad. I found this quite useful, because you can keep your arm on the armrest while working through the uncountable options. Speaking of options: All nannies can be disabled, the amount of regenerative braking can be configured, there are various drive modes (range, normal, sport, sport+) etc. 

The Porsche track has a lot of tight corners, a steep turn, a 200m straight (they did 220 km/h with a GT2 RS)  and as many complications as a Patek. I couldn't find a photo of the track, but this render comes pretty close. 

track.png

Driving the 2,4t Taycan through this maze is just so much fun. The car is no 911, but this is easy to forget. Only in fast corners the tires will squeak and then the 2+ ton  will decide to heavily understeer; it is more than amazing what the engineers were able to achieve. My son did a 15min stint, instructor on the passenger seat, me in the back and after that he had to take a break because he got motion sick  ... like me; but I pretended that everything was fine. 

track2.png
    When driving in Sport or Sport+ you'll not only hear the artificial sound but you'll also hear the gear shifts from the rear. I know, that it's computer controlled etc, but I have to admit, that I liked it. It adds something to the overall sensation and gives you an idea about the state of the car.

I couldn't care less about a launch control start. The Taycan (we had the Turbo, not the S),  is very very fast, but without any scientific proof, an unnamed electric car feels more brutal up to 40 or so. Our car had the "Porsche Surface Coated Brake (PSCB)" and as you would expect, they are fantastic, although you'll feel the weight during heavy braking. Mechanical braking blends in with regenerative braking, as Nick already explained, and it is just perfect. Porsche claims, that 90% of braking is regenerative, the rest is mechanical. That’s why the brake pads must be replaced after 6 years (if I remember correctly). 

After the 1h driving I had a quick look at the trip counter (that we did not reset) and energy consumption was at 560 Wh/km - which may seem crazy but appropriate for running around a track. For those not familiar with these numbers: My Tesla Model S consumes around 250 Wh/km, a Model 3 is below 200Wh/h, both for normal driving. The Porsche people claimed that one can drive the Autobahn at 200+ km/h for 250km with a full battery.

Thanks for reading so far; the rest will be about Tesla, not because I think that this is especially interesting, but because a lot of people compare these two cars.

My P100D is a wonderful car; it's just so unenganging and perfect for getting from A to B, likely the best DD I ever owned. But it's in no way comparable to a Taycan. Whereas the Tesla is a very fast sofa on wheels, the Taycan is a Porsche. The Tesla has more space, probably uses less energy and tries to get the driver out of the equation with Autopilot and other nannies. The Taycan is more joyful and wants the driver to take the next turn a bit faster than the previous one and creates a smile on your face while driving.
    I was thinking that the price difference between those two cars is just nuts. After that day I think that the price for the Taycan is ok.

For now ELVs are the future and the Taycan proves, that it will not as bad as some may think ... if Porsche and other car makers can get the obscene weight under control.

Cheers
    Rick

That is an excellent report SmileySmileySmiley

Damn, I didn't realized the PEC is that big there. Literally most of the infield behind the Parabolika up to Mobil 1 curve.

I did say for the longest time the Model S cannot be compared up to the Taycan. No one believes that cause they only look at the specs on 'paper' mail

--

Rick, goods reading. Thankskiss

--

Having everything is nice, but it's even nicer to make sure everything you've got is actually worth having.

That's an excellent report - thanks for sharing! kiss This type of review is just so much better than any motor journalist article out there. I'm really looking forward to take one for a spin myself!

I assume the car you had for your test drive was equipped with Rear-axel steering, PDCC, Torque vectoring and all the goodies? I rally wonder if these options are "must have" or if the car will be almost as good without?

Great report, thanks for sharing!wink 

lukestern:

That's an excellent report - thanks for sharing! kiss This type of review is just so much better than any motor journalist article out there. 

X2

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

X3!   Thank you for sharing the outstanding analysis of the new Taycan.  It was significantly more focused than the drivel  we are fed by the motoring press.  One wonders how long before Audi's adaptive suspension launched on its new S8 is mated with an EV platform.  That could usher in a new performance standard.  Perhaps that will happen with the e-tron GT.

Very good review, thanks! Smiley

--

There is no try. Just do.

Excellent report, thanks! 

--

1992 964 Carrera 2 - 2016 Macan S Diesel - 2018 Mini JCW

Thank you for the report, great read!  Even more looking forward to driving it

Very good review from someone who drives both Porsche sportscar and Tesla kiss

I try to understand why someone would  invest this very high amount on a Taycan, provided that EV ownership is far from compulsory even in very developed countries? Most people view EVs as a (more) economical way of traveling. If this is the case there are other much less expensive good alternatives to the Taycan, some of which consume less electricity to cover the required distances. OTOH, if a person is so much after dynamic qualities and emotion there are plenty of IC-engined cars (and several hybrids) that can do that better than any EV.

Probably, Porsche is looking very much ahead when EVs will be the norm in some markets, if this time ever comes and they are trying to establish themselves in this sector.

But for now the Taycan, albeit a very accomplished vehicle from reading the reviews,  is an answer to a question no one asked. Porsche are trying to foster demand for this type of vehicle and good luck to them. It is a very risky investment (€6.6 billion overall?) and if it fails Porsche will be in trouble.

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

great input

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

JR-550:

According to my Porsche dealer the Taycan production is delayed by 8-10 weeks. Apparently the production is really slow. There are rumours this is caused by the paint line. At the moment the car body’s are send to Leipzig were they are painted and then send back to Zuffenhausen. Has somebody else got some more info? 

Seems to be an issue with many EVs... Smiley Same with the Mercedes EQC and others.

My Mercedes dealer sells more AMG Mercedes than ever, demand for EVs or even hybrids is very low. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

reginos:

I try to understand why someone would  invest this very high amount on a Taycan, provided that EV ownership is far from compulsory even in very developed countries? Most people view EVs as a (more) economical way of traveling. If this is the case there are other much less expensive good alternatives to the Taycan, some of which consume less electricity to cover the required distances. OTOH, if a person is so much after dynamic qualities and emotion there are plenty of IC-engined cars (and several hybrids) that can do that better than any EV.

Probably, Porsche is looking very much ahead when EVs will be the norm in some markets, if this time ever comes and they are trying to establish themselves in this sector.

But for now the Taycan, albeit a very accomplished vehicle from reading the reviews,  is an answer to a question no one asked. Porsche are trying to foster demand for this type of vehicle and good luck to them. It is a very risky investment (€6.6 billion overall?) and if it fails Porsche will be in trouble.

100% in Agreement.

Hond'a CEO Takahiro Hachigo: " Electric vehicles “will not be mainstream.” He sees Hybrids as the future. That is not to say the EV's will not be mainstream in some markets/cities.

--

RC:
    JR-550:

Seems to be an issue with many EVs... Smiley Same with the Mercedes EQC and others.

My Mercedes dealer sells more AMG Mercedes than ever, demand for EVs or even hybrids is very low. Smiley

It's not surprising at all. EVs and hybrids are very expensive for what they offer and are primarily bought for fiscal reasons as company cars. Who in his right mind would spend 80-100k on an EV or an hybrid when you can have an AMG or something similar for the same money ?

My guess is that people are also rushing to get their V8 and V10 while they still can because it's going to get more and more expensive, if not impossible very soon. 

reginos:

--

New regulations (like Euro 7), political directions, public opinions and environmental aspects will very likely mean the end for high power ICEs in a not too distant future (e.g. Porsche is planning for an electric only Macan/Boxter/Cayman). We also have to think about the billions of people in developing countries who - eventually - want to drive a car. I'm quite sure that this future will not be based on oil. ELVs come with their own hell and I guess that no one knowns, if all the problems can be solved. But a lot of technologies look more promising than burning oil for a 20% efficiency. For me the Taycan , Tesla, ID.3 are a small step into this future, although they do not solve a problem today.

Buyers of the Taycan are paying for the R&D for no doubt much cheaper Porsche EV’s in the future. Spending close to $200,000 for a car in the initial stages of development is fiscal insanity.

--

Having everything is nice, but it's even nicer to make sure everything you've got is actually worth having.

schmoell:

As mentioned above I had been invited to the brand-new Porsche Experience Center at Hockenheim for driving the Taycan. I've watched some of the online reviews and my expectations were rather low, esp with regards to interior space and the weight. So here is what I learned.

Thanks for reading so far; the rest will be about Tesla, not because I think that this is especially interesting, but because a lot of people compare these two cars.

My P100D is a wonderful car; it's just so unenganging and perfect for getting from A to B, likely the best DD I ever owned. But it's in no way comparable to a Taycan. Whereas the Tesla is a very fast sofa on wheels, the Taycan is a Porsche. The Tesla has more space, probably uses less energy and tries to get the driver out of the equation with Autopilot and other nannies. The Taycan is more joyful and wants the driver to take the next turn a bit faster than the previous one and creates a smile on your face while driving.
    I was thinking that the price difference between those two cars is just nuts. After that day I think that the price for the Taycan is ok.

For now ELVs are the future and the Taycan proves, that it will not as bad as some may think ... if Porsche and other car makers can get the obscene weight under control.

Cheers
    Rick

Awesome review; thank you very much.

The price difference between the 4S version of Taycan seems to be more reasonable when compared with Model S.

Actually I'm also interested in buying one, especially because of the huge tax advantage of EVs in Turkey (%36 vs %207) If it was in the same price range here in where I live, I would probably prefer Panamera GTS which I had driven recently and liked a lot.

I think Taycan 4S with performance plus battery is the sweet spot of the range. Also has approx. 15% more range than Turbo which already has more range than Turbo S.

I'm a big fan of Tesla; not because of their cars but because of what Tesla has achieved in less than 10 years. People compare it to Porsche, and this alone is enough compliment for Tesla, IMO. A 10-year old company vs the mighty Porsche; Porsche is better for sure. But Tesla, especially Model 3 is for masses; unlike Porsche's strategy.

--

ONUR

458 italia smiley

schmoell:
    reginos:

--

New regulations (like Euro 7), political directions, public opinions and environmental aspects will very likely mean the end for high power ICEs in a not too distant future (e.g. Porsche is planning for an electric only Macan/Boxter/Cayman). We also have to think about the billions of people in developing countries who - eventually - want to drive a car. I'm quite sure that this future will not be based on oil. ELVs come with their own hell and I guess that no one knowns, if all the problems can be solved. But a lot of technologies look more promising than burning oil for a 20% efficiency. For me the Taycan , Tesla, ID.3 are a small step into this future, although they do not solve a problem today.

The all electric future is not tomorrow but many years for now. For this to happen different materials and technologies are required for batteries (cost, weight, charging times, range etc) and the right infrastructure so that the electrical grid  in each country or territory  can handle the extra demand for electricity. These things could take another 15 or 20 years but definitely not 5.

In the meantime EVs will not achieve price parity with gas powered ones and those who buy EVs are loaded with the very high initial R&D costs and the potential maintenance costs of battery replacement are frightening. Governments need to throw big money to subsidize EV purchases on a huge scale so as to substitute ICEs and I don't think this will be feasible, notwithstanding the noble cause of clean air, as most economies around the world are struggling and have other economic priorities. Total electrification of transport could be achievable by 2030 in a minority of rich countries, affluent regions or heavily polluted metropolitan areas but for the ROW this will take longer.

For the time being EVs will be for the affluent novelty seeker who can afford the huge initial prices. Forgetting the Taycan which comes from a very expensive brand, for someone to pay €40.000 for a i3 or €80.000 for E-tron this person must have money to burn. I think the vast majority of drivers around the world will continue to use ICE powered vehicles for the next 20-25 years at least.

--

+100

schmoell:
    reginos:

--

I actually think you are right but I'm still not sure it is going to happen any time soon. 

VW Group put a lot of money into EV development but looking at BMW, Mercedes and other major players in the car market worldwide, I'm still not convinced that EVs will be the future. I still think that hydrogen fuel cell tech doesn't get enough credit and this tech would certainly solve some of the major EV infrastructure issues.

My Mercedes sales guy never sold as many AMG models as he sold now, so there must be a reason for it. One local collector even bought five(!) AMG Mercedes recently, incl. the new AMG GT R Pro. He sold more G63 than hybrids and EVs together, so... Smiley

The public opinion can change fast and politicians adapt fast.

I still think however that we are going to get a speed limit at some point, even if many here in Germany think this is impossible and it is more likely that hell freezes over. Smiley

--

the new G is a success because it still looks like a G but finally drive like a car indecision

I would be happy to buy a G hybrid if one is proposed. the current AMG line up is looking good so I am not surprised it is an overall success.

I agree with you, fuel cell might be the answer to this fast charger for EV car. other than France, the rest of the crowd is not ready to absorb a massive power consumption without creating massive disruption.

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual, 991 GT3 2014(sold)

Cayenne GTS 2014

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    691223 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410281 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256296 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235442 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65769 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4747 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858916 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775252 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM