Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Ferrari Roma

Former Ferrari designer Frank Stephenson analyzes the Ferrari Roma design.  His comments on the grille are spot on and the change he proposes really pops. 

https://youtu.be/_H7Lnj8zhM8

CGX car nut:

Former Ferrari designer Frank Stephenson analyzes the Ferrari Roma design.  His comments on the grille are spot on and the change he proposes really pops. 

https://youtu.be/_H7Lnj8zhM8

Interesting video and I think the same, some of the changes he purposes like the by the black front grill and round rear tail lights would improve the looks.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

I test drove a Roma this morning. It's the first time I had seen the car in the metal and as others have said photographs don't do the design justice. The stance and proportions are perfect IMHO and it looks great on the road. You won't mistake it front or rear for anything else if following one or being chased down by one.

I tried a couple of modes on the manetino - Comfort and Sport - and tried both of those in auto and manual with the suspension set for bumpy roads. Ferrari have simplified the control for this as you now only have to press down on the mantino for the softer suspension setting instead of it being on a separate button. The ride comfort over badly surfaced minor roads around the Silverstone circuit was extremely good and the car was very settled with good control of the primary and secondary ride. Mid corner ruts or ridges didn't unsettle it at all. The seats are very comfortable and it feels like it would be very easy to do long stints behind the wheel. I didn't find any issue with the kickdown so perhaps the car Grant tried had a glitch. The cabin noise levels are surprisingly low and it is easy to have a conversation with a passenger. Compared to a modern 911 that suffers from excessive tyre roar from the rear axle, the Roma is calm and relaxed until you unleash that engine and dip into the higher reaches of the rev range when it changes character and becomes the vocal delight you'd hope.

The steering wheel mounted hapic controls were easy to use and the large display ahead ofthe driver is very impressive and can be customised to show the info you want. The other controls on the sterring wheel are also easy to operate and the turn signals can now be operated by pushing them front the front or pressing them from the rear. The shift paddles have also been modified so that you only have to pull them very slightly to change up or down and have a very positive action. The build quality on these early examples appeared to be very good. The trunk is a good size with a low loading sill and if combined with the folding seat back option should make the car able to take a decent amount of luggage.

My over riding impression is that this is a Ferrari that really can be used as a daily with little compromise and will appeal to a far wider audience. It is some years now since I had a California and I haven't tried the Cali T or Potofino but I suspect this car is simply in a different league to them in terms of the GT like driving experience it offers. My order is going in on Monday.

1600548243891Argento 3.jpg

Argento 1.jpg

Blu TDF.jpg

Grigio Ferro.jpg

Line Up 1.jpg

Line up 2.jpg

Line up 3.jpg

Argento 2.jpg

Trunk space.jpg

nice write up, thanks for sharing! wink

from the photos it looks like lighter colors favors this car.

--

They do Carlos. They show it’s curves off much better. I’m going for Argento Nurburgring.

ISUK:

They do Carlos. They show it’s curves off much better. I’m going for Argento Nurburgring.

Congrats! is that the same color as the one in the first photos?

--

Yes, The first two photo’s are an Argento Nurburgring car.

Isuk 

How did Pozzi look?

im debating Pozzi

Argento

ingrid

silverstone

thanks

kiss 

--

The blue car at the event was Tour de France I believe. From the colours I saw today I think the lighter metallic paint options are the way to go on this car if you want to highlight the design. It manages to combine a retro inspired look with very modern elements - front and rear lights, lower body aero, front grille etc. I thought some of the solid historic colours might work but now having seen the car in person I’m not so sure. Those colours suit the  older models because of all the chrome and stainless brightwork they had. Without that visual contrast they may not work so well on the Roma. If going Pozzi I’d probably suggest the forged diamond finish wheels would look best with that colour (wheels on Argento car in my first two photo’s) and it would need a lighter colour on the interior.

Isuk,

My Favourite build is Ingrid w Cuoio.  Silverstone is too dark on the config and likely in real life.  Argento is lovely, my favourite Stradale was Nurburgring...  So one or the other......

I don't suppose they had Ingrid there?

When I config in Ingrid, I notice the lines of the side are reminiscent of my Ingrid 612.....

In black, it does look menacing kiss

Any idea when this is supposed to be available at dealer? I will go and have a look. I am intrigued by this car. lighter colors make this front grill weird. it is probably the picture.

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

This is one Ferrari that to me looks better without the shields.... emphasizes how the car is defined by elegance not racing. 

--

2017 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2019 Porsche 911 Turbo

Here is a Grigio Silverstone car in the foreground. You can also see an Argento car behind it without the shields. I think Grigio Silverstone would look better on the Diamond finish forged wheels on the Argento car. The silver wheels look too stark against the darker colours on this car to my eyes and make the wheels look too "heavy" from a visual volume perspective. The dark inner surfaces of the Diamond finish wheel reduce the visual bulk of the wheels and make the car look more squat and purposeful.

1600582642423Grigio Silverstone.png

I had shared concerns over the grille and general design before I saw a car in person. I can see why  people have regarded it as looking like an Aston or Jaguar F type from 2D photo's but once you see it in the metal it is very recognisable as a Ferrari due to the surface volumes, nose and tail treatments and some of the subtle side sculpting. The grille really works in person and combined with the headlight treatment gives the low, shark like nose a unique modern take on a classic design. I wasn'tsure about the shields on the front wings but now having seen the car I personally think it looks good with them. The sides are very curvaceous with no sharp crease lines at all and the shields actually help to emphasise this aspect rather than detract from it. It looks good either way so it's all down to personal taste. 

What is nice about the design (silver in particular) is that certain lines are reminscent of the 365 Daytona. The front with the headlights, for example Smiley

Some interior photo's my dealer has taken this morning for me. I love Ferrari's Cuoio leather (tan) and had it in my first California. I'm going for the same interior as this car.

IMG_3841.JPG

IMG_3839.JPG

IMG_3840.JPG

IMG_3842.JPG

Here is the Daytona seat option with the optional alcantara centre sections.

IMG_3838.JPG

watt:

Isuk,

My Favourite build is Ingrid w Cuoio.  Silverstone is too dark on the config and likely in real life.  Argento is lovely, my favourite Stradale was Nurburgring...  So one or the other......

I don't suppose they had Ingrid there?

When I config in Ingrid, I notice the lines of the side are reminiscent of my Ingrid 612.....

watt,

They didn't have a Griigio Ingrid example I'm afraid. The colours on display were -

Argento Nurburgring, Grigio Alloy, Grigio Titanio, Grigio Silverstone, Nero Daytona and Blu Tour de France.

Grigio Ingrid is very rarely specced. Unlike the classic one the modern one is much more beige.

ISUK:

Some interior photo's my dealer has taken this morning for me. I love Ferrari's Cuoio leather (tan) and had it in my first California. I'm going for the same interior as this car.

Hard to beat Cuoio even though Ferrari keeps coming out with alternatives.

Cuoio isn't often spec'ed in the UK. I've kept a watch on my 09 Bianco Avus/Cuoio California over the years and every time it has come onto the market it sells very quickly. The current owner even got in touch with me via another forum to thank me for spec'ing it like that indecision

I would think that azzuro California would suit it very well. 

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

Great pics Iain. I love the look of this car. 

Congrats Ian! Excellent write-up. It is also good to hear you are coming back to modern Ferraris, the last one was the 458 Spider in a rosso color with an orange hue (Rosso Dino?), if I am not mistaken  . I personally find the car in the color Blue Roma with cream interior making the round in the US stunning.

Good memory kiss  My last new Ferrari was indeed the Rosso Dino 458 Spider. I haven't really liked anything they have brought out since that mode so I switched back to Lamborghini. The Roma is the first new design that has drawn me back. I've already spoken to my dealer about getting a spider version if the rumours that model will be revealed towards the end of next year turn out to be true. If Ferrari make it a 2 seat roadster with a soft top it should be a great addition to their line up.

@ISUK I'm guessing this was the HR Owen event at Silverstone. I drove the Blu Tour de France at Milbrook and I can say it was a really good car. Only issue...legroom ! At 6' 3'' I had to bend my knees, a racing seat would have been preferable. Smiley

The Silverstone event was run by FNE or the factory as all the staff and test drivers were Italians. The UK dealers had representatives there and supplied their F8 demo cars for customer drives of that model. Ferrari had other models there such as the SF 90 and there were a couple of 812 GTS present, one of which was from Lovetts with their personal registration on it. I'm 6'1" and fortunately had no legroom issues..... in the left hand drrive car at least. Hopefully the transition to right hand drive won't cause any great compromise in that regard.

Here's the dealer's config, which shows sunlight, in Silverstone - better than I expected

Roma Configurator - Grigio Silverstone - Cuoio.pdf

Here's Argento and Ingrid.  Ingrid shows the shape best but of course difficult to sell, always an issue for Sunsmiley

Roma Configurator - Grigio Ingrid - Cuoio - Gold Calipers.pdf

Roma Configurator - Argento Nurburgring - Cuoio.pdf

What's the verdict from you guys?  Thanks

watt:

Here's Argento and Ingrid.  Ingrid shows the shape best but of course difficult to sell, always an issue for Sunsmiley

Argento is the way to go.

watt:

Never go for a beige colored car (Ingrid) - unless you want to own a taxi or signal that you are above 80 years old Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763789 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436140 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260885 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257846 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82577 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5325 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

876561 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808507 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM