Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: AMG GT Thread Closed

I have upgraded the suspension of my 964 with RS settings, the car is a peach: so intuitive, agile and fun! On top of this, a G- pipe gives the throaty exhaust sound of the big bore 911s. It is not an RS, but worth the effort.

Such a fun car, it will be a perfect complement to the GT4. Or maybe I should have said this the other way around.... smiley

--

1992 964 Carrera 2 - 2014 Mercedes A45 AMG - 2013 Mini Cooper S - Cayman GT4 (soon)

Mercedes-AMG GT R to Debut at Goodwood 2016

Mercedes-AMG will use this years Goodwood Festival of Speed as the backdrop in which to launch a new hardcore version of the GT.

Dubbed the Mercedes-AMG GT R, this new model will be a range-topping model that will compete directly against the likes of the Porsche 911 GT3 RS.
    According to sources close to the project, the price of the GT R will be well above the £110,500 asking price of the current top-of-the-range GT S model. From spy shots taken during the cars development we can tell that the GT R will feature a plethora of aerodynamic and styling tweaks. 

The majority of these changes will be designed to aid in performance, cooling and airflow over the car. 
    The GT R will also receive the same style of “Panamerican” grille that was used on the GT3 race car last year. This new grille style is expected to become the standard grille style for AMG models moving forward. The GT R will be the car in which this new style is launched. 
    The GT R is powered by a heavily tuned version of the GT and GT S’s twin-turbocharged 4.0-litre V8 engine. No official word has been released regarding horsepower figures, but some are suggesting a figure around the 570 horsepower mark.

Can't wait to see the official photos.

I am still surprised about the lack of AMG GTs on the roads here in Europe. 

Drove over 1100 km last week (to Italy and back...), saw a couple of Ferrari, Lamborghini, even a Carrera GT but not a single AMG GT. Nothing. Pretty weird, considering how many 911 I saw on my way, including three(!) new 991.2 (two Carrera and one Turbo S model).

I still have a feeling that the AMG GT is not a best-seller, at least not in Europe.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

there is a nice leasing offer from MB in Siegen - 1000 € for 12 month including 12.000 km. Very attractive offer.

--

AM

ALDO:

there is a nice leasing offer from MB in Siegen - 1000 € for 12 month including 12.000 km. Very attractive offer.

How much initial payment? 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

nothing - just this 1000 € montly. If you wish I can check it if it is still valid.

--

AM

ALDO:

nothing - just this 1000 € montly. If you wish I can check it if it is still valid.

Wow...this is really a bargain. Smiley

Not necessary to check, thanks...I'm not interested in the AMG GT. This is a car which doesn't attract me even a bit, don't know why. Same goes to the new 488 GTB. Weird. These cars just don't tickle my senses. Smiley

Btw: Heard the 488 GTB in Italy a couple of days ago, there was one in the parking lot of the hotel. Sorry but it sounds really bad for a Ferrari. I do not understand why people always say it sounds good. Compared to a 991.2 Turbo S? Yes. Compared to a 991.2 Carrera S with PSE? A bit better maybe. Compared to a 458? No way. 
    We also had a new R8 V10 Plus in front of us for 30 km on our way to Italy on a country road and this car sounded amazing, we could hear the acceleration inside our car (Macan Turbo) pretty loud.

--

RC:

I am still surprised about the lack of AMG GTs on the roads here in Europe. 

Drove over 1100 km last week (to Italy and back...), saw a couple of Ferrari, Lamborghini, even a Carrera GT but not a single AMG GT. Nothing. Pretty weird, considering how many 911 I saw on my way, including three(!) new 991.2 (two Carrera and one Turbo S model).

I still have a feeling that the AMG GT is not a best-seller, at least not in Europe.

The key problem I have with the AMGs is that when you see them you here them first, and mostly they are driven by obscure guys in the city... The typical AMG driver I have seen to date is nothing I would like to associate with to be quite frank...

The problem with all the AMG drivers is MB. If you work for Porsche only from Hauptabteilungsleiter can drive a Turbo or GTS model. When working for MB you can drive every car. The lease offers for employees are so good. You drive it from 0,6% of list price. A car worth 150.000 € for an employee means 900 € leasing per month plus 1% taxes.  A lot of young people without other financial obligations can afford such leasing rates. That´s why the Tübingerstr. in Stuttgart is full of MB AMG cars - all are working for MB in Sindelfingen.

--

AM

I think it's a good looking car, but I think it will depreciate too much like all expensive Mercedes. I'd also have a hard time spending that much money on a non-exotic. You could many exotics for less if you buy used.

The problem is the doors. They need to bring back the gullwimg doors. Without them the car is just another SL.

I guess the problem is like it is/was with the R8. All two brilliant cars but no story to it - it seems that even the nice ad with the little kid having a nightmare when a GT overtook his dreamcar 911 seems not to have helped...

d997h:

I guess the problem is like it is/was with the R8. All two brilliant cars but no story to it - it seems that even the nice ad with the little kid having a nightmare when a GT overtook his dreamcar 911 seems not to have helped...

R8 is quite successful actually. At least the original was.

noone1:
    d997h:

R8 is quite successful actually. At least the original was.

True but only for the first couple of years. Then deman/prices started to tank like crazy. Especially the v8 coupe.

every thread I am reading the conversation is about a R8 or RC's neighborhood.....yes

BjoernB:

every thread I am reading the conversation is about a R8 or RC's neighborhood.....yes

The power is strong with me... smiley_emoticons_star-wars-yoda1-blau.gif

Smiley

Yes, the AMG GT lacks a story or maybe it is a bit too stylish but not aggressive enough, I don't know. This car just doesn't attract me and I don't seem to be the only one.

Regarding the R8: I don't have a clue how successful (or not) this car is right now but judging by the discounted (almost new, with very low mileage) dealer cars with 5 year warranty (2+3), I'd say that demand isn't that great.

I mean you can basically get a new(!) R8 with 1500-5000 km, new price 210-220k EUR, for 40-50k EUR less. This is insane! Saw one for 158k EUR, new price 211k EUR, only three months old and only 4500 km.

Actually, maybe I should wait another year or so and I can get the new R8, slightly used with under 10000 km for under 130k EUR. This would be amazing!

--

The new model is depreciating because it's not as unique is the original was and the price went way up. I think the original V10 back in 2009/2010 was like $165K.

noone1:

The new model is depreciating because it's not as unique is the original was and the price went way up. I think the original V10 back in 2009/2010 was like $165K.

The V10 Plus (550 hp) I eyed lately had a MSRP of almost 190k EUR. They offered the car for 115k with only 3000 km and the car was only one year old. One year! Also included: 5 year warranty. Really good offer but I waited too long (again), they sold it last week. Smiley Car was fully loaded with carbon and whatnot, red stitching in the interior, beautiful car.

I am hoping for a similar price decrease of the new R8 but I could be wrong. This will be (according to various sources) the last n/a V10 from Audi, the next generation (maybe even the facelift) is rumored to offer a twin turbo charged V8. Smiley If true, the current new models with V10 engine could be in high demand.

We'll see... 

--

the way you are going thru cars - in latest 9 month you are bored to death with that garage-queen n have sold it again for something more neighbor-friendly like a 911 smiley

BjoernB:

the way you are going thru cars - in latest 9 month you are bored to death with that garage-queen n have sold it again for something more neighbor-friendly like a 911 smiley

Have you noticed that I haven't gotten myself any of the cars I mentioned/considered yet?

Why? I started to be more thorough in my thinking and considerations.

The car which makes most sense from my requirements point of view is an Audi RS6 Performance, tuned by ABT to 700 and more hp. Perfect family car, not very flashy, very fast (close to 991.1 Turbo S performance) and with a lot of room for the family and luggage. This is what I would need.

What I would want, is an Audi R8 V10 Plus. The new model with 610 hp. Too expensive right now for a weekend toy.

The used "old" R8 V10 Plus (with 550 hp) would have made a sense from a cost point of view and from a weekend toy point of view since it would replace the GT500 (same would go to the new R8 if I would choose it).

Do I need a weekend toy with two seats only though? Not really, especially since I still have my daily driver, the 991.1 C4 GTS Cab, a wonderful car to drive, especially on country roads and when there is nice and sunny weather outside. This car is also fast enough to keep up with the occasional driving with some friends on weekends (we usually avoid the Autobahn, so no problems here).

I'm still thinking...maybe I won't choose any of the candidates but I keep looking for good offers.

No more fast shots (fast buying decisions) just because I am tempted. These times are over. Cannot afford it. Don't want to afford it. It seems I learned from past mistakes.

Smiley

--

French Sport Auto (very reputable sport car magazine) placed the AMG GT first beating the 991.2 S. Reason? Sound and excitement. This is the first time a 911 loose this comparison test in decades. They say the 911 is now a GT car mostly and, surprise surprise, would like more GT3 declinations... Guess I am not the only one after all smiley

SciFrog:

French Sport Auto (very reputable sport car magazine) placed the AMG GT first beating the 991.2 S. Reason? Sound and excitement. This is the first time a 911 loose this comparison test in decades. They say the 911 is now a GT car mostly and, surprise surprise, would like more GT3 declinations... Guess I am not the only one after all smiley

Have you driven the new 991.2 Carrera S? Yes, the AMG GT sounds a bit better (I'm a sucker for a nice V8 sound anyway...) but the other emotional part, I don't know. The interior of the AMG GT looks, how to put it...a bit too playful.

On a tight track however, the 991.2 Carrera S would bury the AMG GT and even the S version.

The 911 a GT car? So what is the slower (track) AMG GT then? Smiley Smiley

--

They are both GT cars, that's their point I guess... 99.9% of these cars will never see a track anyway...

SciFrog:

They are both GT cars, that's their point I guess... 99.9% of these cars will never see a track anyway...

How many GT3 and GT3 RS see a track or better said, serious track racing? Smiley

I hate it when car journalists label cars, it just doesn't make sense. Especially since a 991.2 Carrera S is basically at the same performance level as a 991.1 GT3 and with over 50 horses less. Of course, the GT3 lasts longer on the track but my point is: Why would someone label a car a GT if it can keep up or even outrun serious track machines? Doesn't make sense to me. A Maserati Granturismo is a GT, a Jaguar F-type is a GT, a Mercedes SL or a BMW 6 series are GTs but a 911? No way.

--

A Panamera turbo is a fast machine, it is also a very boring car to drive... The 991.2 lost on emotions, not on performance, makes a lot of sense. They aslo bash Porsche for having to add all the performance items to the base car putting the 991.2 nicely specced way too expensive vs the past.

SciFrog:

A Panamera turbo is a fast machine, it is also a very boring car to drive...

I wouldn't call it boring to drive, it is boring to be in it, difficult to describe but I think you get my point. The drive itself can be sensational when fast enough but for regular driving (commuting, family trips, etc.), the produced emotions are indeed quite unspectacular. To say at least.

The 991.2 lost on emotions, not on performance, makes a lot of sense. They aslo bash Porsche for having to add all the performance items to the base car putting the 991.2 nicely specced way too expensive vs the past.

I still believe the new 991.2 Carrera S is fun to drive but I agree, this car got wayyyy too expensive.

--

Today, I had to take a look at the AMG GT...again...to make sure I really don't (or maybe do) like this car.

No, I just can't get used to it and I wouldn't be happy with it, so I scratched this off my (imaginary) buying list. The offer from the dealer was quite OK, basically a new car (800 km) for acceptable money but I just couldn't do it. This car is not me.

Now I'm back to Audi...and this time, it is the RS6 Performance or the new(!) R8 V10 Plus. My Audi dealer made me an offer I cannot refuse (for both!), so now I'm not sure what I should do.

I always wanted a Lamborghini and the new R8 V10 Plus is basically a Huracan in Audi disguise.

I cannot talk precise numbers here, the Audi dealer is a customer (I didn't know that until last week) and he offered me two of his testcars (right now they barely have 500 km...) at a very special price (lease, financing, buying, whatever I want) because he wants me as a new customer and he is a high volume dealer. Just as a hint: The R8 had a MSRP of 210k EUR, now it is 170k EUR... Smiley Car was registered...this month, it is brand-new. Same goes to the Audi RS6 Performance, MSRP 147k EUR, "my" price would be 120k EUR. Registered...this month.

Now I don't know what to do: The R8 V10 Plus is a treat, I sat in this car this morning (drove it last year...) and that virtual cockpit is really nice, incl. the whole interior quality. Only thing I'm not a fan of: That huge rear wing but I could live with it. The RS6 Performance is a very nice family car, very spacious, very good interior quality as well but of course no sports car.

I still have the C4 GTS Cab, so the R8 doesn't really seem to make sense but my stomach points towards the R8, only my brain says RS6.

Just wanted to let you suffer with me...it will be either the R8 or the RS6, haven't decided yet though. Wife loves the R8 but says it doesn't make sense, she hates the RS6 but wouldn't mind if I take it because it has four seats. Son wants the R8, daughter wants the RS6, so... 

Do I need any of these cars? Well, the R8 would replace the GT500 as a weekend fun car. The RS6 would replace the Jeep as a family car. So both cars make somehow sense but I do not really need them. I like both though but like I said, the R8 would be my favorite since this is the closest I will get to a Lamborghini for the next couple of years. The RS6 however is a very nice family commuter and I would really enjoy it. Maybe I should take both(dealer would make an even better price for both)? Smiley Nahh...I'm not that crazy (and wealthy).

--

First response... Take both.

Little bit of thinking... Get R8.

Further thinking... Both.

I see lot's of new RS6 around here , much more then the older RS6 .  This car seems to be the new ' must have ' monster in this part of the world .  It does look good, I must admit .

You are looking at two very different cars . Do you need a new family car ( the the RS6 will probably give more pleasure then the Panamera, Macan, even Cayenne Turbo )  or do you need/want a week end toy ? 

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    764868 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436867 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261216 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258091 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82709 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5331 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877188 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    809346 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM